Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Anthracite Pour L'Homme by Jacomo

Can we talk about this?

I've never smelled it, yet it keeps coming up in Perfumes: The Guide, here and there.

Of course, it doesn't get a full review by Turin/Sanchez since they didn't review discontinued fragrances. However Turin works the name into a few references. He mentions its similarities to Obsession Night by Calvin Klein (the woman's not Obsession Night for Men). In addition, he mentions it in another paragraph where he's mentioning the new transparent woody scents that Dachaufour and Buxton (the nose behind Anthracite Pour L'Homme) created that have led to certain new categories of woody scents.

I like many of Buxtons fragrances (Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Eau de Parfum, and White - as well as Vetiver 46 by Le Labo), so I'm tempted to blind buy this. But I really hate buying blind.

Comments (good or bad) on this would be appreciated!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Anthracite Pour L'Homme by Jacomo

Funny how things happen!

I was actually planning on giving Anthracite a full wearing for the first time tomorrow.

I have bumped it to Monday to show my support for Schachy's plan to give Terre d'Hermes more wears than the 41 wears Champs-Elysees got last week.

Mike, I would be more than glad to send you a sample.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Mike,
    I've seen it around for $30 or so, so you wont be breaking the bank to try a "hrad to find" fragrance :-) I vaguely remember JaimeB talking positively about it a while back.

I used to use it back in the 90's, it was a nice complicated spicy woody fragrance.. I can't remember more .. I wonder why good things has to be discontinued ??!!!

Very spicy and woody is right. Sharp and crisp and vaguely reminiscent of Antaeus, but without the sweetness. I wore this one for a long time in the early Nineties. Still love it, but swapped my bottle for something else a few months back. Definitely a good risk at $25 to $40, Mike.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys - you all are such blind buy enablers. LOL

-- Jack Kerouac

I am also interested in this frag and also in this house in general Who kows why it's called Jacomo, who created it, is it still in exitance? And what other Jacomo scents are good?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I am also interested in this frag and also in this house in general Who kows why it's called Jacomo, who created it, is it still in exitance? And what other Jacomo scents are good?

Jacomo is alive and well:

http://www.jacomo.com/english/mystere.asp#

Jacomo de Jacomo is a pretty good cheap thrill if you can handle 80's powerhouses.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this today for the 1st time (thanks TwoRoads) - and I must say the top notes spiciness stood out almost immediately in the vein of Catalyst for Men by Halston (or the original Perry Ellis for Men - perhaps slightly less oriental though) and then it pretty much turned into Calvin by Calvin Klein.

I need to give this a full wearing, but somehow I'm getting a strange been-there-done-that vibe from Anthracite Pour L'Homme.

-- Jack Kerouac

as Mike said...

"...but somehow I'm getting a strange been-there-done-that vibe from Anthracite Pour L'Homme."

It smells like a far better Zihr Ikon, which it is by far since it has no synthetics.

I think it's a fine scent and glad I own it.