Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Assume you had $90 to spend at Beautyhabit

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post

What kind of scents do you like now? It would make the suggestions more meaningful.
    Baudilus, to answer this I think I'll merge this thread into Finsfan's thread of his current quest.
    Thanks,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Assume you had $90 to spend at Beautyhabit

Baud: I don't know really what to order. I had a separate thread going, but this one is going to be different. Having smelled different things at Jock With Scent's, seems as I dont know. Whiskey is out, and powder is out, and so is Turpentine, and Raw earth. There are a lot of the perfumers like St. Barth and a whole slew of them that never get talked about and I was hoping someone would say they found hidden gem "x" that does not get a lot of press. I like the smoothness of Feuilles de Tabac, but I can move from that comfort zone. L'Eau Neuve has some citrus with some medicinal quality about it on my skin - Vick's Vapor Rub?

I was going to add that this thread really is more me asking name your favorite finds from this etailer, and I was hoping people would discuss some of the perfumes/colognes that don't get named much (like non Serge Lutens and non MPG)
    Last edited by finsfan; 2nd June 2008 at 07:38 PM.

Default Juicy Couture Dirty English

Well, wife and daughter liked this one and on my skin, it was not bad. Dont know that it is a summer scent, but more like a nightclub scent, but I dont do nightclubs (48, bad knees, can't dance, can't drink, all the usual excuses). Yet I smelled other stuff on me (Issey, Dior Homme, Gucci Homme and Envy, Terre d' Hermes) and nothing else stood out. So, anyone buy this and like it?

Default Re: Juicy Couture Dirty English

I sampled it and it was too "meaty" for me. A good cheapo frag along these lines is Carlo Corinto (leather and dark amber), which you can find on eBay. Corinto Silver is super sweet, and Corinto Rouge is a soapy scent.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Well, wife and daughter liked this one and on my skin, it was not bad. Dont know that it is a summer scent, but more like a nightclub scent, but I dont do nightclubs (48, bad knees, can't dance, can't drink, all the usual excuses). Yet I smelled other stuff on me (Issey, Dior Homme, Gucci Homme and Envy, Terre d' Hermes) and nothing else stood out. So, anyone buy this and like it?

Juicy Couture Dirty English was designed to capture a younger market. It's a step above many current launches, but It's not sophisticated enough for a 48 year old attorney. It's a club scent, and you don't do clubs. Don't blame you for not getting too excited about the other wannabe's you tried. It sounds to be like you were at the mall or a deparment store, or Sephora's. Either way they both have crap for frags.

Sur la Plage

I am not thrilled with Dirty English. It smells (this means I actually tested it) similar to me as some other designer fragrances - it's not bad, just nothing great/special.

However, I personally (and I am sure some other BNers) have found many "non-crap" fragrances at the mall/department store/Sephora - Right after I ate some bourbon chicken and washed it down with an Orange Julius at the food court
    Last edited by petruccijc; 4th June 2008 at 02:05 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I am not thrilled with Dirty English. It smells similar to me as some other designer fragrances - it's not bad, just nothing great/special.
    I don't like it much. To me, it says, "I'm trying too hard to be edgy. Forgive me, and don't laugh too hard ..." The drydown is tolerable, however.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    However, I personally (and I am sure some other BNers) have found many "non-crap" fragrances at the mall/department store/Sephora.
    Most of my goodies have come from Sephora, Macy's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue. I've even bought fragrances at Long's Drug, when they clear my favorites off the shelves at low prices. I'm just starting to explore online stores and niche fragrances, but haven't gotten into them much yet.

I will say that the best stuff I've found has been at the higher end stores like Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue, but showing up there usually entails having to run a gauntlet of overzealous sales associates trying to get me to try their particular fragrance (which, thankfully, doesn't happen at Sephora and Long's). I had to almost be downright rude with a Bond No 9 associate at Saks once when she tried relentlessly to get me to retry a bunch of fragrances I had tried before and rejected. ("No, I don't want to try Wall Street ... again.")

I thought Dirty English was a bit like Gucci PH with more than just pencil shavings and incense, like some fruit and spices thrown in.

Still, I love the Gucci, and probably will never own the Dirty English.

Yet I smelled other stuff on me (Issey, Dior Homme, Gucci Homme and Envy, Terre d' Hermes) and nothing else stood out.
    Are you sure? Those are some phenomenal frags, especially Dior Homme & both Gucci's. Get a sample next time and wear them out. How can you not like them?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I liked. I brought the sample card home with me and the girlfriend liked it too but I have too many fragrances right now to warrant buying it.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Juicy Couture Dirty English was designed to capture a younger market. It's a step above many current launches, but It's not sophisticated enough for a 48 year old attorney. It's a club scent, and you don't do clubs.
    We do the hotel bars and a few clubs in Hollywood fairly often, and I have never worn Dirty English to any of them. I keep my samples mainly as a curiosity. I detect Dirty English occasionally at Avalon on Vine, and once at the bar of The Rainbow on Sunset. It seems to be worn mostly by the folks that its advertising campaign is trying to reach (young, at least slightly tattooed, trying to look fashionably bad and angst-ridden). Oddly enough, I've never smelled it at The Viper Room.

"Presenting the scent of irresistible bad boys all over the world. Live hard, live fast, live loud, live now. It's all Dirty English, the fragrance for men."

One of these days, I'm going to inventory the colognes I see in the men's room at Avalon (lots of them), and report back to BN about it. I think it would be interesting. I wouldn't go into the men's room at The Rainbow without a hazmat suit, and I'm pretty sure there's no cologne in there.

it is what it is...it a generic, toned down version of something between Costume National Scent Intense and Timbuktu.....it is safe, woody with some spices thrown it and smooth, sweet amber drydown....toned down with limited longevity and sillage.....But, for summer time it is very wearable and enjoyable as the limited sillage actually becomes one of its benefits.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Blog Entries

Gonna admit it, despite the Juicy name I really like this stuff the more I wear it, and it does amazing stuff in hot weather. Maybe I'm a little isolated as I've had no real dealings with true cedar-based fragrances aside from this one. I have a bottle of Dirty English and a bottle of Gucci PH on the way and will be putting up a comparison thread when I have the leisure to do some testing.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 3rd June 2008 at 01:25 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

This is not for me...and yet it is better than most that have been launched.....Be careful with this if you make a purchase. It stains the white blotter cards and will stain anything lite as far as clothing is concerned. I don't spray my shirts on purpose....but when I spray my neck there is some that gets on my shirt of course....just be careful with this scent....don't ruin anything nice.
    Gary

I do like the scent somewhat... Too bad there is absolutely no horsepower to it, otherwise I might actually consider a bottle. The opening blast is about as strong as most of my other scents three hours into the dry down...

I just layered it with Gucci pour Homme. They go well but the Gucci just overpowers it completely!
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 3rd June 2008 at 03:19 AM.

I describe Dirty English as a blast of pepper with cedar and perhaps leather underneath... I mostly smell pepper. Definitely for going out only. I received many, many DE samples from a local department store, so if anyone wants one feel free to message me.

Morning Star

I tried this again last night, just to give it a fair shake. It's actually not as bad as I remember it being, but it's really strong out of the starting gate ...

I told my wife that for the price, Imperial Opopponax was preferrable, and that it was $60 shipped vs at least that amount or more for the Dirty English discounted on the web. I liked it better than some scents at Sephora, less than others, but not nearly enough as I liked the Feuilles de Tabac or something else

Default Ever smell a cologne on yourself at lunch and it is your shirt?

Wore Feuilles de Tabac today to test it for longevity. It was a small vial, so some on each wrist, some on the back of the hand, and then a generous splash to the neck, face and lightly on the back of the neck to use it up. Well, had the air conditioner on me in the car so I could feel the air hit my face and waft the scent around. Every morning is a nice drive!!!

So, here it is some 9 hours after I applied it. Nothing on the wrists or the back of the hand but I smell it. I unloosened my tie and I smell the scent wafting strongly up. I love it. Now, my sniffer is not as acute as others, so I am going to ask my wife to tell me if it my shirt or my neck. If it my neck, then a full bottle will be ordered.

Any others get tricked like this?

May I suggest you converse with Scentimus on this one. If I am not mistaken, I think he owns this one and likes it. As for myself, I feel it had potential but it is so watered down that the notes bleed into one another making this yet another, mass-marketed kill-joy.

Default Re: Ever smell a cologne on yourself at lunch and it is your shirt?

I am not too concerned where it projects from as long as it is projecting. In general, a fragrance will last longer on clothes than the skin. I'd say, as long as you enjoy it, get it! I never had fragrances to last too long on my hand either -- probably cause I wash them periodically and what not. This is one fragrance I have never tested so I cannot comment on my experiences with it but with a name like tabac, it sounds promising!

I wish I had that kind of luck with the sample vials.

Blog Entries

I've always applied some fragrance to my undershirt. It lasts longer (especially the topnotes, citruses, and some florals) and has a slower drydown than on the skin - but complements the drydown on the skin.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Not exactly like this, but similarly... I'll often be out and sniff around the air and say, "Wow, someone smells good!" I'll then bring my shirt up to my nose to find out that it's me half the time. I'm not vain, I just wear good stuff.

I never really get tricked by the wafting of fragrance. That's likely cause' every once in a while, I just pull my collar out and stick my nose down my shirt just to see how the scent is working. :-)
    I have to be careful not to get caught doing this....
    But yes, I do like it when I don't have to do this and it just happens by itself. As with you Fins, and SixCats, my skin seems to eat up scent quickly. I think a testing of the FdT is in order now.

Hell yeah. When I do laundry a week after wearing a scent I can pick it up on a week old shirt. Just think how the scent was with me all that day because it was with the shirt too. Guess I had nothing to worry about with scent duration that day, I tell myself. A scent that does that is doing its job.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Good. And the nice thing was, I got home, took the shirt off and sure, the collar smelled great. I asked my wife what she thought and, not one for colognes, she said it was okay. Hated a sample of Eau d'Orange Verte Concentree and she hates the Acqua di Parma, so as soon as I score some funds from a couple of fragances that did not work, well, off to Beautyhabit and maybe I'll sneak the Colonia after all.

Eric, I was alone in the office so I undid the tie a bit, unbuttoned the top two buttons and smelled the shirt collar. How sick am I, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    May I suggest you converse with Scentimus on this one. If I am not mistaken, I think he owns this one and likes it. As for myself, I feel it had potential but it is so watered down that the notes bleed into one another making this yet another, mass-marketed kill-joy.
    Mass- marketed kill-joy. So consise and accurate. I love it.

Blog Entries

Eric, I was alone in the office so I undid the tie a bit, unbuttoned the top two buttons and smelled the shirt collar. How sick am I, LOL!
    Well, you have the fever. But maybe not quite sick yet.

It's when you're walking down the street. Sniffing your wrist(s) (or shirt). Without even thinking about what others might think. Or you work out a system for sniffing your wrists in public that you believe looks entirely natural and no one will know.

Then you've got the sickness (other symptoms include acquisition disorder and sniffing people other than yourself).
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Talking Re: Ever smell a cologne on yourself at lunch and it is your shirt?

With all my lighter colored scent, I apply strictly to cuffs, pockets, and collars.
    So yes, I get this all the time, days later.
    Sometimes weeks later with heavy spray.
    Sometimes the SOTD choice is made for me when I smell the shirt/jacket.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 4th June 2008 at 02:54 AM.

Default Apple

I smelled both a Granny Smith (tart) apple and a Red Delicious (smooth, mellow) apple the other day and was wondering if there are scents that are like these, but made into something wearable. I know there is grapefruit (Nicolai Balle de Match) and Orange (Hermes has one) and Tangerine (Miller Harris, Calypso), but what are some wearable apple fragrances and what is your experience on the reactions to it.

Default Re: Apple

Carlos Santana for Men
    DKNY Red Be Delicious for Men

Givenchi Gentleman always reminded me of apples in a concentrated form.

Steve Jobs.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I smelled both a Granny Smith (tart) apple and a Red Delicious (smooth, mellow) apple the other day and was wondering if there are scents that are like these, but made into something wearable.
    Yes, it exists. It's called Brandy. Named after a horse in Central Park and its favorite snack. Lovely stuff.

Burberry London has always given off a warm apple cider vibe for me.
    Last edited by whosyourcaddy05; 4th June 2008 at 02:24 PM.

How about Outrageous! by Malle?

Sur la Plage

Nicole Miller for Men is a "boozy apple" fragrance to me - which I love. It's not a crisp, clean apple scent.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I smelled both a Granny Smith (tart) apple and a Red Delicious (smooth, mellow) apple the other day and was wondering if there are scents that are like these, but made into something wearable. I know there is grapefruit (Nicolai Balle de Match) and Orange (Hermes has one) and Tangerine (Miller Harris, Calypso), but what are some wearable apple fragrances and what is your experience on the reactions to it.
    Gathering Apples by cbihateperfume in the absolute form only. Don't get with water added. He's also got a "Golden Apple Accord" 15ml of absolute for $25.00
    Last edited by thebeck; 4th June 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: add verbage

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Ruggles recommendation of Brandy by Brandy. Although, it reminded me more of baked apple pie, rather than a tart, juicy, fresh apple. But not in a gourmand style, rather a light, fresh, uplifting apple pie accord. If that makes sense. Although it suffered extremely low longevity on me.

I also second the recommendation for Gathering Apples by CB I Hate Perfume. The water perfume is an outstanding rendition of a green apple (on the tree). Amazing stuff. Perfect scent for late Summer, early Fall weather. Same as Brandy though - low longevity.

I'm assuming finsfan that you've already smelled the DKNY Be Delicious scents for men? The bottles are in the shape of apples...you can't get any more apple prominent than those. I personally can't wear them, but the scents are enormously popular.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

There is an accord in Viktor & Rolf's - Antidote that smells apple'ish to me...

If I remember well Boss Bottled is pretty famous for having this apple vibe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree with Ruggles recommendation of Brandy by Brandy. Although, it reminded me more of baked apple pie, rather than a tart, juicy, fresh apple. But not in a gourmand style, rather a light, fresh, uplifting apple pie accord. If that makes sense. Although it suffered extremely low longevity on me.

I also second the recommendation for Gathering Apples by CB I Hate Perfume. The water perfume is an outstanding rendition of a green apple (on the tree). Amazing stuff. Perfect scent for late Summer, early Fall weather. Same as Brandy though - low longevity.

I'm assuming finsfan that you've already smelled the DKNY Be Delicious scents for men? The bottles are in the shape of apples...you can't get any more apple prominent than those. I personally can't wear them, but the scents are enormously popular.
    Gathering Apples with water added in warm weather turns into smelling like sour apple hard candy. I have both, and the absolute stays true to the apple scent and has better longevity to boot.

Although I wouldn't describe it as an apple scent per se, Villoresi's Incensi has a definite apple/cinnamon vibe going on, esp. in its early stages.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 4th June 2008 at 03:06 PM.

Be delicious was a good recommend. Kenneth Cole Reaction has it I believe. I just ordered Mesmerize from Avon that has Apple in it supposedly.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Steve Jobs.
    You owe me a new monitor.

Burberry London - Boozy Apple.
    Baldessarini Ambre - Deeply marinated apple in whiskey served with an Amber base.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

It's a weird one but J Del Pozo's On El has some apple floating around in it somewhere.

Lacoste - Style in Play (the one that looks like a red hand grenade) has a bright apple note as well.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    If I remember well Boss Bottled is pretty famous for having this apple vibe in it.
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say. It's sort of a warm, baked Golden Delicious apple note that's very subtle. Reminds me of a dessert with vanilla icecream and baked apples. But it's not really that tart, juicy apple note one thinks of when they smell a fresh apple. For that, DKNY Be Delicious / Red Delicious and Kenneth Cole Reaction come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    Lacoste - Style in Play (the one that looks like a red hand grenade) has a bright apple note as well.
    Apple isn't the first thing that comes to mind here.. So I dunno. And does anyone else think that Be Delicious for Men was a huge flop compared to the womens? I haven't tried the Red Delicious for Men on this basis... The womens ones are good though =)

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    How about Outrageous! by Malle?
    In The Guide, Turin calls this an "apple musk" that smells like an orchard cellar in which crab apples are stored.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue (women) and Cereus No. 4, which are practically identical.

Default IS my sniffer accurate?

Got some samples and a full bottle from Luckyscent and I wanted to see if I am smelling these right.

1. Les Neredes Imperial Opopponax: Seems to be very vanilla for the first 30 minutes.

2. Idole by Lubin: Started off spicy, but I swear it smells after 20 minutes like bath soap on me.

3. 21 by Costume National: a vanilla milk shake that has melted

4. Lonestar Memories: wow, I thought it was liquid smoke, or a campfire in a bottle. But in 20 minutes, the smoke has subsided and I get a bit of sweet leather like Royal English Leather by Creed.

How did I do?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: IS my sniffer accurate?

Your sniffer is fine.

2. Idole - here's my advice. Get a much larger sample of this, and sample it about 20 times before you comment on Idole...it's that kind of scent. It reveals itself to one slowly, very subtle and shifting kind of scent. Ultimately the last time I smelled it, it revealed itself to me as being a scent I don't want to own, which was disappointing but also good for me, since I hadn't bought a bottle. Bottom line - one cannot judge this scent too quickly. Even though its not something I want in my wardrobe, Giacobetti (the nose) really created a genius of a fragrance with this one.

Number 1 and Number 4 - I have samples on the way to me - and Number 2 I've never smelled.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I kind of agree with Mike on Idole. I've given it 2 wearings so far and I haven't been able to quite grasp it... but I do like it!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I can tell you, it is 'GREAT" advice to tell someone to wear it and not sample on a wrist or arm. I am wearing Idole today and it smells a bit better, no, a lot better, when wearing it as you normally would. The post above, I just dotted some cologne in spots on my hand and arm to test them out. Idole is not as soapy when it is worn on the neck.

Mike, Idole is nice, maybe very nice, but it is not one of those that, so far, is moving into my 'got-to-have' range. I know some say you have to let a cologne grow on you at times, but my thought is that part of the reason I wear a cologne is that others will like it. If it does not hit me on the first sniff as being a WOW cologne, how is it going to do that for others? I smell a bit of spice, but not like say how Piper Nigrum hits you at first. I smell a wee bit of powder, but thankfully, it is not like a Yerbamate. Yet, it seems inoffensive for lack of a better word. Jock with Scents let me sniff Black Tourmaline, and like it or not, you will have a polarizing opinion. Idole, I can't really see anybody hating it.

I can tell this one will be a close to the skin and petering out around 3 to 4 hours. It is not bad, but not full bottle worthy.

I plan on wearing Imperial Opopponax to make sure that it is not too vanilla. I don't recall it being that way from a sample I wore last fall, but the first spray, wow, that was all it seemed like.

I do not think I will like the 21 by Costume National. Lonestar Memories had a much better drydown than its initial presence.

Idole, I can see where it might have some booze, but I have smelt one that was more whiskey than some Jack Daniels. Jock with Scent will know which one that is.

Mikeperez, I have worn it twice. Compared to Costume National 21 and Feuilles de Tabac, it has some spice, and may be a bit more brooding. But what is it in Idole that is given me some sort of soapiness? Not that it is bad - Creed Original Vetiver smells much more soapy - but I would like that spiciness to dry down to say something that Piper Nigrum does.

Anything that is like Idole but not as soapy?

Also, I have read the reviews, so is it a silage monster or not, and does it last or not? I am thinking better than average silage and better than average longevity.

So far, one of the better samples I have smelled recently.

Default Acqua di Parma Assoluta

Is the Editione Riviera the same as the regular Acqua di Parma Assoluta? I have found a deal on the auction site, about $90 for 6.7 ounce splash, when I see the 3.4 ounces going for around $80 at the auction and like $110 at Neimans.