Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do any of you smell the difference btw NR for her and SJP Lovely?

Sorry in advance if this sounds like a very naive question, but I was wondering if any of you smell the difference, and which gets you a more favorable response between the two? To me, they smell identical...but maybe my nose has been a bit "off" (allergies!!), so I figured I'd ask the experts. Also, if you prefer one over the other, which concentration suits you best??

Thanks so much in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you ladies - trying to decide between Lovely and NR for her

and I can't make up my mind!! Thanks so much in advance for all your feedbacks!!
    Last edited by bashful_in_newyork; 26th May 2008 at 01:23 PM.

Default Re: Do any of you smell the difference btw NR for her and SJP Lovely?

They smell very similar to me as well and if a person was wearing one of them, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be able to identify which of the two it was. I'd prefer whatever was least expensive. I don't wear either one as I get a persistent rose note - it lasts and lasts with both of them - and I'm not a huge rose fragrance fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok good - I thought it was just me!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Actually, I do. Lovely is exactly that. I think it's charming that this lovely fragrance lives up to its lovely name. The difference between these two to me is the musk. NR EDP (which I own and I've heard is very different from EDT) has, not quite a wantonness, but is not naive. Lovely has purity that NR sacrifices with its earthiness. I otherwise agree that the two share a very similar spirit.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I find they smell veeery similar - comparing NR EdT and Lovely. Can't say for the EdP coz I dunno.

They are very similar, but NR is more robust (IMO) in terms of longevity. NR lasts all day. Lovely doesn't. I find Lovely a bit too light for me, and NR always gets great comments. Lovely just fades away...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I had both frags at one time but gave Lovely away. I still have, and wear, NR though. On me the difference is that Lovely is a lighter musk scent whereas NR (I have the edt) has a richer, more sultry feel, I think this may be from the rose rather than musk but I'm no expert so I can't say for sure! NR suits me for all occasions whereas Lovely I wore mostly for daytime/casual use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!!

Can any of you ladies tell me which concentration you prefer for NR for her? I see that there are several different types.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried both edt and edp and preferred the edt, it just went better with my skin chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by bashful_in_newyork View Post
    Thank you!!

Can any of you ladies tell me which concentration you prefer for NR for her? I see that there are several different types.
    I remember asking this shortly after I joined basenotes, and the majority seemed to like the EDT, bu I prefer the EDP.
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008 View Post
    I had both frags at one time but gave Lovely away. I still have, and wear, NR though. On me the difference is that Lovely is a lighter musk scent whereas NR (I have the edt) has a richer, more sultry feel, I think this may be from the rose rather than musk but I'm no expert so I can't say for sure! NR suits me for all occasions whereas Lovely I wore mostly for daytime/casual use.
    Yup. Richer and more sultry does it for me too. Spot on. NR is my interview fragrance my 'oh god I don't know what to wear today' fragrance and one I'm perfectly comfortable wearing day or night, casual or formal. It just works for everything.
    Bill Cosby

Post Thanks / Like

I like Narciso Rodriguez for her better than Lovely. It is bolder, especially the EDP. The differences, according to the esteemed BoisdeJasmine.com are as follows:
    Narciso Rodriguez EDT includes honey flower, solar musk, orange blossom, osmanthus, amberlyn, vanilla, tactile musk, tactile woods, vetiver. The EDP also features rose and peach, being more floral, with the accent on pink roses, than the original EDT, although it is admittedly less interesting. The EDP notes include pink chypre, pink floral, voluptuous woods, soft amber, sheer chypre, flower honey, tactile woods, amber light. Lovely features notes of mandarin, bergamot, rosewood, lavender, apple martini, patchouli, paper whites, orchid, cedar, white amber, musk and woods.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know NR edp, but I had the edt and it was a very lush, sultry fragrance. I found it boozy, woody, and unisex. I loved the honey in the drydown that lasted clear into the next morning. To my nose, NR and Lovely are similar in the type of musks used, but I think Lovely is more distinctly feminine, and it also has a crispness to it (apple?) that I liked. Of the two, my preference would be Lovely. I enjoyed NR edt for a while but I eventually traded it away. It's interesting how people have a decided preference for one or the other of these two fragrances.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I was working with BPI, I recall hearing that SJP actually publicly apologized to NR (her good chum) with regard to the similarity between Lovely and For Her. Apparently he had agreed to allow her to "create something similar", but she admitted that it was possibly closer than he might have preferred.

In terms of the strength, the EDT version is fantastic... but if youre a fan of rose, the edp has this element added to the mix, with the volume turned up a bit.

The EDT is the superior composition, to my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I have NR edt and Lovely (which I believe only comes in EDP). I really enjoy Lovely but it is a skin scent, I find there's almost no sillage to it. (The sillage appears to be much improved if you layer it with the Lovely "liquid satin" product.) The NR is a bit stronger but I also think it's a lot different as an EDT from Lovely -- the first time I tried to wear NR I couldn't, I felt it was too sultry and mature. Somehow my nose changed over several months and now I love it, especially the honey note. Lovely is far more floral and lighter.

I suppose the moral of the story is that the NR edt and edp are different creatures and to figure out which you prefer. Also, I suspect Lovely is a fair bit less expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 50ml bottle of SJP Lovely EDP Shimmer Spray for a very good price at a local discounter. It seems to smell a like the original, but the shimmer base is a bit thicker/gooier and it has some kind of glitter embedded in it.

For the price it's not bad ($8) - but can someone confirm that this is the same fragrance as the original Lovely?

Teddius
    Last edited by Teddius; 27th May 2008 at 03:14 PM.

to me they 're different, For Her doesn 't work for me, too harsh, Lovely is not a masterpiece but it 's softer, more floral, I love the apple martini note that I find very lasting and noticeable, the drydown is similar to For Her but more subtle and closer to the skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Whilst I was working with BPI, I recall hearing that SJP actually publicly apologized to NR (her good chum) with regard to the similarity between Lovely and For Her. Apparently he had agreed to allow her to "create something similar", but she admitted that it was possibly closer than he might have preferred.

In terms of the strength, the EDT version is fantastic... but if youre a fan of rose, the edp has this element added to the mix, with the volume turned up a bit.

The EDT is the superior composition, to my mind.
    Wow, thank you so much for this interesting tidbit...found it quite amusing!! And thank you so much to all of you, for giving me your input on what you feel is the preferred formulation and the differences between Lovely and NR for Her. I'm going to have to go test them again...this time, adding the NR for her EDP!!

Thanks so much again!!

Post Thanks / Like

They're not alike on me. I don't own Lovely, but I've tried it many times. I wear NR edp. and it's one of my all-time favorites. Lovely is very lavender-centered on my skin, and I'm not fond of lavender in perfume. Strangely enough, though, the perfume Egyptian Goddess reminds me of both NR and SJP. Philosophy Inner Grace smells a lot like Lovely on me, without the lavender.
    Last edited by Tovah; 28th May 2008 at 08:08 PM.

I smell a difference, but it could be my body chemistry. For some reason, NR smells aquatic on me... like rain. Very fresh though.