Code of Conduct

Default Montale's Golden vs Lime Aoud

I've gotten both of these as samples and am currently testing both, and trying to compare them. I actually have to say that I'm really enjoying Golden Aoud over the very acclaimed Lime Aoud. No doubt Lime Aoud has more complexity to it, but the Golden Aoud smells a lot smoother to my nose. I really do recommend people to try and get a sample of Golden Aoud, as I'm really liking it. Any other comments are certainly welcome.

Default Re: Montale's Golden vs Lime Aoud

After throwing a decent amount of money at this house, I've realized that one Montale aoud is enough for me. I have Royal Aoud.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th May 2008 at 03:42 PM.

I've read that they send samples if you send them an e-mail. I tried sending them an e-mail to no avail. Their fragrances are really hard to find.

I`m one of those who likes Aoud Lime way much more than Golden Aoud, but nevertheless, GA is a fine creation too.
    It is indeed ultra smooth fragrance, with very good drydown plus longevity. Oud and rose dominate this fragrance like many other Montale`s Aoud. To me Golden Aoud is like a feminine, wimpish take on Black Aoud : They are quite much the same, but Golden Aoud is lacking that deliciously salty patchouly note that is so important ingridient in Black Aoud.

I think we probably should leave Golden Aoud for the ladies. It could be categorizised as a Unisex, but to me it is very feminine fragrance, after all.

That's funny...I don't see anything distinctly feminine about Golden Aoud. Something like a Flower Aoud (Which I still love) would be much more feminine to my nose.

I hadn't even heard of Golden Oud before... I might have to get a sample of that! I have to agree with Ruggles above though, that while Lime Oud is great, and Roses Petals is great, and Queen Roses is great, and Attar is great... well, you see my point... they're all great, but perhaps all a bit similar after a while. Royal Oud was different for me, it didn't have any rose to my nose, and didn't have enough character for me to keep a bottle.

If I had to choose only two, it would be Black Oud and Attar.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

To be more precise, even when I really do think there is a patchouly note in Black Aoud, the truth is that it must be labdanum which makes Black Aoud so dark, and definitely bit of a salty. Yep, must be the matter of labdanum instead of patchouly, which plays a tad smaller part in this fantastic fragrance.

leor_77, we all have our own opinions and tastes. Thank God. That said, I still do think Golden Aoud turns to be almost disturbingly (to me, that is) feminine during the drydown. It`s smooth as a silk, rosey, with a hint of saffron. A certain man is able to pull this off easily for sure, but to me GA leans strongly towards feminine side. GA reminds me of some Attar oils that I have tried, and those I also have found to be very feminine with only few exceptions.

Another month, another Montale aoud...
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Oh well, I guess I smell like a girl then...shame.

I like the Lime better, but it sounds like we're looking for something different in a scent: "smoothness" isn't really something I value very highly. I like the Black aoud the most: it's so rich and, well, dark...but the thing I really like about these aouds is when they dry down, so I would guess that skin chemistry plays a larger role at that stage than it might with a different frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    I hadn't even heard of Golden Oud before... I might have to get a sample of that! I have to agree with Ruggles above though, that while Lime Oud is great, and Roses Petals is great, and Queen Roses is great, and Attar is great... well, you see my point... they're all great, but perhaps all a bit similar after a while. Royal Oud was different for me, it didn't have any rose to my nose, and didn't have enough character for me to keep a bottle.
    I'm glad to hear similar thoughts on the aoud line. That's not to say it's necessarily a bad thing as there should be something for everyone. However, amassing loads of Montale aouds seems... well... pointless...

I mentioned this in my review for Aoud Roses Petals, about a month ago:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124915.html

This is a great thread because these two aouds (Lime and Golden) have very similar ingredients. Whats the diffenrence and why do another one so much alike?

I think I am seeing some evolution and growth in the Montale fragrance mixology. The earlier floral aouds like Lime Aoud, Black Aoud, Royal Aoud and others are all very great fragrances but were made with fewer ingredients and are simpler and in most cases bolder statements than the more recent batch of Montale's- Red Aoud, Golden Aoud, White Aoud, Aoud Flowers, etc. The new ones have more transitional notes making the fragrances have a real tone theme rather than just a loud chord of notes. Just looking at the listed notes in the scent profiles shows how much more complex Golden Aoud is compared to the much earlier and simpler but quite striking Lime Aoud. I love Lime Aoud and have a large bottle, but I can appreciate the refinement of the concept of a saffron/rose/aoud as it occurs in Golden Aoud. Lime Aoud is a fantastic fragrance of saffron, rose, and rosewood but it is not very subtle. Golden is the refined, next generation saffron/rose/aoud blend. Both Golden and Lime aouds are saffron rose blends but the Golden is much more sophisticated in its mix, gentler, more incensy and is definitely one of the best of the last generation of Montales. Lime Aoud is heavier and hits you over the head with its fantastic floral harmony that creates limes. But, I think Golden Aoud is much more approachable and more wearable as a daily wear fragrance.

Just as Golden Aoud is the next generation version of Lime Aoud; White Aoud is a gentler next generation version of Black Aoud. Similar ingredients but much more refined in the transitions between notes. They are all really good but I definitely prefer the newer Golden over Lime, and also I prefer the new White Aoud over Black Aoud.

I have Lime aoud, and love it, however I tried Golden aoud and also liked it, much smoother, but very linear, kind of flat. but easier to wear, when Black or Lime are too intense. Golden might be the ticket, however, I only allow one Aoud in my wardrobe at once. And as as saffron scents I wear Sultan Safran by CSP.

I agree-- the Lime fits better on my skin as well. I did not care for the Golden as much-- I appreciate it as a good fragrance, but it's "smoothness" wasn't enough to make me purchase. In my book, complexity usually wins