Code of Conduct

Default Is Virgin Island Water really just Coconut Lime Verbena?

Tania Sanchez argues that Creed's VIW is just an overpriced version of Bath & Body Works CLV. One of the funniest reviews in the book - but is she right? If yes, I just might get me some from across the pond.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Is Virgin Island Water really just Coconut Lime Verbena?

With all of the attention VIW gets and the ubiquitous nature of BBW, if the scents are that similar, I'm surprised that we haven't read about it on some previous thread, but perhaps that comparison was overlooked.

I don't personally know BBW scents as the combinations are generally not what I'm looking for.

Sur la Plage

I personally do not think VIW and CLV are that similar - I just tested CLV over the weekend just to see.

I do however think VIW and Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts are very similar.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't get any similarities at all between the two (and have both!). However, CLV is really similar to Bond's Gramercy Park!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I also have both and they're not that similar at all - at least not enough to say they're basically the same but one is 1/11th the price. CLV has much more of a citrus blast at the beginning, and VIW has a much richer center and drydown of spiced rum. At least that's my take, and how they work on my skin.

So funny-- my mom had just mentioned the same thing to me the other day. My best friend uses the CLV body lotion and my sister has VIW. The subject came up because my mom asked if they were wearing the same thing at a family party the other night.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I do however think VIW and Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts are very similar.
    I agree to an extent, all I've tried on the Set Sail St. Barts is the men's version and there's a great deal of similarity, but it's more salty (ocean/margarita) and I don't find VIW to have that salt accord.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Basenotes Institution

I disagree with Sanchez's review.

I owned and wore Coconut Lime Verbena before my life at Basenotes (it smells GREAT in the shower gel) and it's heavily synthetic lime accord reminds me of those lime flavored icy popsicles that I used to eat as a kid (and still eat as an adult, actually). In addition, the coconut in CLV is strong and pretty much overpowers all of the other notes, until the very last of the fragrance lingers (which is not long).

Virgin Island Water which I currently own, has a salty lime accord. It smells very natural, more like a fresh cut lime - rather than something you would eat that tastes like lime. It smells like lime juice squeezed on my skin. With salt. In addition, the coconut in VIW is very subtle - this is what sealed the deal for me to get it. It's folded in with the other notes very skillfully, it plays well with the other notes. Oh yes - and VIW has that realistic rum accord running thru it (unlike CLV). In addition, I get above average longevity from VIW when I wear it. I know this, because usually 6-7 hours after I've applied it, is when I get the most compliments from people on it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th May 2008 at 01:36 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I agree with Mike, CLV is a little more on the synthetic side and to my nose, definitely flatter. But still not a bad buy for $18!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Well it sounds like I must try that Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts then (and that's quite a mouthful of a name, by the way), but aren't we missing the best point here for VIW lovers? It sounds like this Bath and Body Works stuff is the perfect background scent to apply VIW onto. I just looked it up and they have shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion etc etc so you can lay down a good coconut and lime base and then spritz your delightful Creed over the top.
    I really wish we had B&BW here in Europe.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Well it sounds like I must try that Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts then (and that's quite a mouthful of a name, by the way), but aren't we missing the best point here for VIW lovers? It sounds like this Bath and Body Works stuff is the perfect background scent to apply VIW onto. I just looked it up and they have shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion etc etc so you can lay down a good coconut and lime base and then spritz your delightful Creed over the top.
    I really wish we had B&BW here in Europe.
    Well, there's a (Dutch) shop on Ebay (it's called "feel you good" or something), the seller is very reliable and ships superfast...not affilliated etc.).. she has many B&BW items, also CO Bigelow etc.
    Last edited by marnie; 28th May 2008 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I disagree with Sanchez's review.

I owned and wore Coconut Lime Verbena before my life at Basenotes (it smells GREAT in the shower gel) and it's heavily synthetic lime accord reminds me of those lime flavored icy popsicles that I used to eat as a kid (and still eat as an adult, actually). In addition, the coconut in CLV is strong and pretty much overpowers all of the other notes, until the very last of the fragrance lingers (which is not long).

Virgin Island Water which I currently own, has a salty lime accord. It smells very natural, more like a fresh cut lime - rather than something you would eat that tastes like lime. It smells like lime juice squeezed on my skin. With salt. In addition, the coconut in VIW is very subtle - this is what sealed the deal for me to get it. It's folded in with the other notes very skillfully, it plays well with the other notes. Oh yes - and VIW has that realistic rum accord running thru it (unlike CLV). In addition, I get above average longevity from VIW when I wear it. I know this, because usually 6-7 hours after I've applied it, is when I get the most compliments from people on it.
    I agree. I also get a lot of tiare and jasmine in the heart.

Can someone tell me about the quality of the ingredients? Are the shampoos/shower gels based on sodium laureth sulfate or the like (a no no for me), do the lotions contain paraffin or petrolatum? Thanks
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Well, I adore both the Prof and His Wife and have practically worn out The Guide - but I must say this thread cements my belief that all frags do not smell the same on and to all people in the same way. (I love it when Tania says he's just plain wrong about this!!)

On the basis of the same review I scampered out (well scampered to my computer) - and got CLV in the EDT although I've been using the shower gel for a couple of years. Also have been wearing VIW for a while now. And promptly wrote about it - somewhere. (You know me! Organization is not my strong suite.)

I prefer the CLV which is brighter and crisper on me...the lime element is more like the note that bursts up when you've cut into one and are getting the oil and the juice at the same time. The lemon verbena and hint of berries gives CLV a brighter touch, and the vanilla/tonka is also lighter than VIW. Longevity is about equal on me.

Got a sample of Tommy but it didn't make an impression. Maybe have to give it another go. (WordBird - a sample of CLV will accompany other stuff en route to you. )
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Never in a million years would I guess I'd be coming to the defense of a Creed frag!!!
    At any rate, VIW is in a class of it's own. May I draw an analogy from Mugler's Angel?...
    Many frags have been referred to as "like Angel", "similar to Angel", "reminiscent of Angel", "better and or worse than Angel". IMO the same thing is going on with Creed's Virgin Island Water. VIW is unique in it's presentation. It has a perfectly balanced blend of lime & coconut...with a natural, top quality vibe going for it. While others may contain notes of lime/and or/coconut - they just don't have the exact same effect. This is one time I will recommend the Creed version over the others mentioned previously in this thread. (I still can't believe I'm pro-Creed on this one! )

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Can someone tell me about the quality of the ingredients? Are the shampoos/shower gels based on sodium laureth sulfate or the like (a no no for me), do the lotions contain paraffin or petrolatum?
    While I disagree that this is a quality issue, I can tell you that the shower gels are SLS-based and the lotions have paraffin, I believe. (I work there part-time but I'm not in front of a label right now. Unfortunately, the web site does not list ingredients.)
    Last edited by Advocate; 29th May 2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Fix block quotes.

I guess this thread is a testimony to the value of the book. I have CLV shower gel and lotion, and occasionally enjoy it, but wouldn't buy the EDT, and certainly wouldn't spend $100+ on a similar smelling Creed...so Tania's review told me what I needed to know.

t_g_l,

CLV smells good enough for the price with a somewhat similar effect...but without any of the depth. Its like an empty shell of VIW, a poor mans VIW so to speak. Its like how someone with no fragrance knowledge can connect a drugstore citrus juice to Diors Eau Sauvage just because of a few common ingredients. That said, I have used CLV (in its anti bacterial foam and candle forms) for a number of months now and it smells good and gets compliments from visitors - its certainly a good substitute until Creed come out with a VIW candle/body wash.

The candle pack doesnt mention the ingredients but here are the ingredients from the anti-bacterial gentle foaming hand soap:

water, sodium laureth sulfate, glycereth-26, coca-midopropyl betaine, fragrance, disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, propylene glycol, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, xanthan gum, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, panthenol, benzophenone-4, tetra sodium edta, triethanolmine, dmdm hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, yellow 5, yellow 10, yellow 6
    -

I wonder if Tania Sanchez actually smelled the two...
    Looking at the notes on paper, they seem like they'd be similar.
    ...nothing alike at all.

what MikePerez said about the lime is right & exact.
    Lemme explain the coconut.

1st, VIW has a deliciously woody organic coconut note that lasts forever with the rum.

2nd, I do like the artificial "Coconut" smell in so many shampoos/soaps. That one's rich/sweet.

BBW CLV doesn't have that "Coconut shampoo" sweet/rich smell.
    It uses the same inferior chemical "coconut" smell used in Car detailing products.
    A large dose of armor-all tire shine + very dry synthetic coconut.
    Awful.

I urge everyone considering CLV as a cheaper option to go and smell the two.
    Creed VIW is delicious and beautiful, not at all trendy or tacky.

Finally smelled Coconut Lime Breeze and I cant believe the comparisons. Initially I noticed the similarity. But after 15 minutes, CLV smells like a mist spray that high school girls wear. I cant fathom a man wearing this.

EDIT

Ooops, I didnt know this was the female section.
    Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 9th January 2014 at 03:40 AM.