Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Today I Bought... May 2008 Edition

Kelly Caleche shower gel by Hermes
    Eau des Merveilles shower gel by Hermes
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Today I Bought... May 2008 Edition

after a week of bingeing on luckyscent (love them Heeleys and free shipping) and now the beautyhabit sale (MPG here we come) it was AWESOME to find Richard James Savile Row tonight at TJMaxx for nine dollars.
    Why have I not been told of what was at TJMaxx?? I had a TOTALLY wrong impression of the place. Bought a few All-Clad pots to round out the kitchen collection for piddling amounts. Egads!

Sur la Plage

Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

At a local Marshall's and as a backup bottle--the only box of B*Men, in the 1.7 oz spray flask, SNIB for $15.00
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Over the weekend I picked up bottles of Givenchy Very Irresistable and Cartier Declaration.

Vintage Chanel Gardenia - eau de cologne
    Vintage Evening in Paris

YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration
    Lauder Beyond Paradise ($3 for 100mL!)
    Baldessarini (Metal Case $12 for 50mL)

and Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee for my wife.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

-Burberry for men (30ml)
    -Eau de L'Occitane (100ml)
    -Andy Warhol (50ml)
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Blog Entries

decant of viw...soon very soon.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

i think i might be one of the first on Basenotes to scoop up the newest offering from Hermes Jardin line...

Un Jardin Apres La Mousson - it is by far my favorite from the Un Jardin fragrances.....I am someone who likes 'loud' fragrances and this one is definitely not, however I still enjoyed it thoroughly throughout.....first hit is impression of a fruit that i cant put my finger on...maybe cantaloupe....but its not sweet, its unripened cantaloupe with beautiful sour tinges to it.....as it begins to settle the scent transforms with spices that have me distinctly picturing rain drops early morning somewhere in the deep jungles of india......i can smell some light florals and a beautiful vetiver playing somewhere deep in the background....it is incredibly light on the skin, almost transparent and is much softer than the previous two offerings.....however it lingers on my skin for a long time......
    ..this one would be perfect for a relaxed evening spent with the loved one...or relaxing on a beach at night with a warm breeze and a glass of pina colada....

i aslo got VIW.....which i have been waiting to get for a while....just waiting for the weather to warm up.....so far i got the bright citrus with coconut kicking in 20 minutes into it....pleasant and fun...a great summer frag.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I went on a binge today, and it felt good. If you spent over £500 at Harvey Nichols, you get a free weekend to Europe

I bought:

250ml of the Moss Breeches - Towards the split. Noir de Noir isn't going ahead, have issued refunds

50ml - DSQUARED He Wood

50ml - Tom Ford for Men (yum! - been wanting this for quite some time)

100ml - Escentric 02 - Love the citrusy effervescence of this one!

100ml - Escentric 01 - Love how peppery this is, and subtle at the same time. Some people think these are a rip off, but i'd really have to disagree, but thats probably because i'm a fan on discreet and subtle scents.

100ml - Anvers - Citrus with Guava, smells really 'urban'

100ml - HN Man - Mmm, leathery goodness! (I got three of these for free, have sold two to a BNer!)

50ml - CKone - Ok, I got this as a present yesterday, so it doesn't count!

On top of this, becuause i'm friends with my personal shopper, and because the Noir de Noir broke in transit I got a free Argent Provocateur Body Powder, an Argent Provacateur Maitresse Body Creme (I spread some on my hand, darn i'd love a Woman smelling of it! - Unfortunately, I passed them onto my sister) and he said that if I spent £30 on Versace Cosmetics (because I'd previously been looking to buy some presents from there), he could throw in three free Versace eye shadows and a free Versace cosmetics pouch, and he did! I also went to Nandos and also bought these amazing Japanese Panda biscuits from Harvey Nicks, along with six bottles of Pepsi Raw!

All in all, a good day

I bought Sisley's Eau de Campaign EDT and the Hydrating lotion.

Great vintage 1950-s unopened bottle of Cuir de Lancome just arrived.

So I`m ready to trade\swap my other vintage half-bottle of Cuir de Lancome.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Jean-Louis Vermeil Vermeil for Men EdT.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Banned

As I posted on the Emergency Forums, I have my belated birthday present coming tomorrow.

A bottle of Derby by Guerlain.

It is still available at Bergdorf Goodman... Isn't this supposed to be discontinued? Or no?
    Last edited by teger; 6th May 2008 at 12:11 AM.

Today I bought Santal Noble by MPG

I had the tester and after first try didn't like it - but as Mikeperez always says give it another chance so I did and WOW I liked it this time and today end up buying a 90 ML bottle.

thanks Mikeperez !!
    a
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

Bois 1920 Agrumi Amari - from the good sale at Parfum1.com. It's a great citrus and soft wood - perfect for the coming summer!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by achanna View Post
    Today I bought Santal Noble by MPG

I had the tester and after first try didn't like it - but as Mikeperez always says give it another chance so I did and WOW I liked it this time and today end up buying a 90 ML bottle.

thanks Mikeperez !!
    a
    Good achanna! Actually, I've never smelled Santal Noble, but I've heard good things about it. Enjoy!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Bois 1920 Agrumi Amari - from the good sale at Parfum1.com. It's a great citrus and soft wood - perfect for the coming summer!
    I tried this at Barneys in L.A. (after the SA walked me over to the line and nudged me to try it) and it was wonderful.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I tried this at Barneys in L.A. (after the SA walked me over to the line and nudged me to try it) and it was wonderful.
    I had originally bought a large sample of this for a friend of mine (female) for her birthday since she was looking for something citus-based. After she tried it, I kept asking her to sniff it, as it was really a nice scent. I've promised to share some with her too!

I bought last week, but it arrived today does that count?

YSL Opium EDP

So far so good, just put it on. Was unbelievably strong upon first spray(but then again, I heard all YSL frags are), but now it's settling down and I'm liking it quite a bit.

Thanks LuciusVorenus!

Yesterday i ordered a bottle of Heeley's Sel Marin from Luckyscent.

L'Air Du Desert
    question the Question!!

OMG. Now I'm part of that small crazy bunch of fanatics who actually bought Guerlain's Djedi (parfum reissue 1996). I can't believe I did it. But I had to. I'm in a state of chock about how strong this force of desire is...

Congratulations, Mr Guerlain!
    Who will keep the bottle?
    (As a happy user and owner of the bottle, I understand you and your feelings!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    OMG. Now I'm part of that small crazy bunch of fanatics who actually bought Guerlain's Djedi (parfum reissue 1996). I can't believe I did it. But I had to. I'm in a state of chock about how strong this force of desire is...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I got my package from Scentiments just a little bit ago and I'm really pleased.

I ordered a bottle of the original Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte-- because I'd been working on making a recreation of it (well, it's more based on the Concentr&#233. I do understand what people say about Ed'OV being short lived. It wears close to the skin. Now that I'm comparing my "home-made" version of it with the real one-- I feel pretty good. Mine has more longevity and more of a mandarin character-- the Hermes is more lemony with a bit more tang.

I also got a bottle of Hermes' Un Jardin Sur Le Nil. It's kind of different from what I was expecting. I like it, but it's a lot dryer than I thought it would be. Once I close my eyes and start sniffing, it does take me away to an exotic garden. I find it a bit more muted in comparison with Un Jardin En Mediterranée-- which is amazingly bright. I don't love this right away, but Iike it and look forward to repeated wearings.

And the SURPRISE "throw-in" to my order that is blowing my mind... Salvador Dali Pour Homme! Despite the leaky bottle (grrr!) this one is great. I was expecting it to be like some old school Kouros/Santos chypre knockoff-- I was strictly buying it for the bottle-- but damn, I really like the juice! I don't get all the negative reviews on this one. Sure it smells a bit goth, but it doesn't smell like "dogshit" or "fat man funk" or any of that other stuff to my nose. It's a little bit like Antaeus that has been shaken up a little and introduced to the Comme des Garçons Incense Series. The drydown smells a little like pot. I'll have to test this one some more, but as it stands now, I'm in complete glee over this stuff.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 6th May 2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Today I ordered Tom Ford for men. This stuff is like crack. I went through the 1st bottle in record time. It kind of subtle and longevity is average at best. I also bought Tom Ford Extreme blind. If it's anything like the regular one I'm pretty sure I'll like it or love it. Hopefully it will have better longevity over the regular one. I am still meaning to stop by Neimans and test some of the private blends (in particular Tobacco Vanille & Amber Absolute) but that is a dangerous proposition to my wallet. Though the good news is I think i have enough creeds for the moment. LOL

Off-Scenter

Eau Lente and Botrytis, both at steep discount from Beautyhabit.

Bad boy! Bad, bad boy!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 7th May 2008 at 04:01 AM.

Against my better judgment, I bought Tom Ford Black Orchid. Drove through a snarly traffic jam during rush hour to visit Nordstrom's, only to find that they didn't carry the stuff I really wanted - Acqua di Parma. Oh well, might as well sniff around while I'm here...
    TFBO was the only fragrance that made me grin. Not being a clubber anymore, I may never have occassion to wear it out, but I said that about Narciso Rodriguez and now it's in my regular rotation...
    Last edited by Snafoo; 7th May 2008 at 02:04 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Talking Re: Today I Bought... May 2008 Edition

I kind of went on a binge today too, but I got alot of free stuff while I was at it. I also broke over 100 bottle purchased for myself. I am now shamefully in the three digit club.

Anyways I purchased dsquared wood, Narciso rodriguez and allure Blanche(wanted to complete the allure collection). The rest were freebies Although testers, they were still pretty full. I also got the PM concentrate(free) to compliment my 1955.

Heres a picture of everything I got today.

I spent quite a bit and unfortunately even more on my girlfriend. I could only imagine the possibility of the even greater freebie count if I spent that all on myself.

http://b.imagehost.org/view/0717/What_I_got_today.jpg
    Last edited by tajoh111; 7th May 2008 at 07:02 AM.

Tam Dao by Diptyque, Thanks Deb!
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

I just ordered an 8ml decant of Hermes Un Jardin Apres la Mousson from TPC.

I`m just ordered two Creeds: Neroli Sauvage and Orange Spice, from Moscow, and they are on their way to me!
    (well, I`m not a Creed fan. I just have 5-6 Creed frags, and just find two more to be available for a very reasonable swap)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I just ordered Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret 1.7 oz Cologne Spray for $28, I will use it when going out!

I'm stocking up on my summer scents.

I scored a 1.7 OZ Givenchy Blue Label for $17, and a 3.4 OZ Armani Acqua di Gio for $33. That's an especially good price for that size in the Gio.

I have found that Gio and Issey Miyake ara hard to come by at discount prices.

Just wanted to share this little gem of a very old Guerlain Véga EdT 100 ml in the 'teardrop bottle' - still perfect juice (the one to the far right):

Tom of Finland

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I'm stocking up on my summer scents.

I scored a 1.7 OZ Givenchy Blue Label for $17, and a 3.4 OZ Armani Acqua di Gio for $33. That's an especially good price for that size in the Gio.

I have found that Gio and Issey Miyake ara hard to come by at discount prices.
    Where'd you find those prices?

Found some of the discontinued Homme de Gres at a discount perfumer for $34 at 75ml (I don't trust 100ml bottles at discounters...). I made the guy open it and spray it for me just to check the scent and it was the real deal!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Found some of the discontinued Homme de Gres at a discount perfumer for $34 at 75ml (I don't trust 100ml bottles at discounters...). I made the guy open it and spray it for me just to check the scent and it was the real deal!
    It's my SotD today. Since buying it that one time, I've never seen it again. Congrats on your purchase! I really like this one.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 8th May 2008 at 08:30 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Adolfo Dominquez Agua Fresca arrived today. Think I'll get quite a bit of wear out of that this summer. And I just ordered Cumming.

M; Men - Masaki Matsushima based on the recommendation of JwS! (plus the great price at Sephora for a frag of that type sounded too good to pass up!)

Today I "gought" (arrived in the mail from LS): Comme des Garçons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Today I bought (at one of the local fragrance shops down the street): Christian Dior Eau Sauvage

After reading Pigeon Murderer's review, I had to buy a bottle of Petit Guerlain - I'm loving the DaDa idea of a child's fragrance on an adult.

just because there was a sale (tell me who could resist, really)... bought Santos de Cartier Concentree and The Different Company Bois d'Iris. Now the waiting game for them to arrive in the post.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Angélique Lilas.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 9th May 2008 at 11:32 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I was looking for something to wear while going out! And to impress the girls with my smell.
    So Ive bought Body Kouros, its a blind buy, but ive read many great things about it!

Sur la Plage

Czech & Speake No.88, from a swap.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My bottle of TM Cologne is almost empty, so I`ve ordered another clean green scent Lancome Miracle L`Aquatonic. Once I owned it & I want to compare them now, after awhile.
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Smile Re: Today I Bought... May 2008 Edition

Givenchy Pi, two days ago though.

The discontinued Amouage Silver Cristal for men BNIB
    A lot lot better than the Silver Cologne! Much stronger, some animalic notes and awesome longevity!
    Last edited by dr.creed; 10th May 2008 at 02:19 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Took advantage of the great discount at Beautyhabit:
    MPG Amber Precieux and Bahiana...both blind buys, and both exceptional!
    Diptyque's Philosykos...awaiting backorder, and also a blind purchase. I normally don't go this crazy with blind purchases, but the Basenotes community reviewed these with such high regard, that i felt compelled, and wasn't dissapointed.

Well, remember the shopping spree I went on? I decided that Escentric 01 didn't do well for me, so I called up my personal shopper, and he said he'd give me a refund, and they could use it as a tester (LOVE Harvey Nicks) With the money I got back, I felt bad, so I bought Versace Pour Homme (the new one!) and I quite like it, if it doesn't sit too well with me, my dad likes it I also got 5 samples of the new Jill Sander Man, and three samples of Antidote! Along with that, my personal shopper made me a 5ml decant of Caravache (Robert Piguet)!

I then went to Selfridges, and bought Dark Amber Ginger & Lily (Kodho Wood Night) and I looove it I was going to buy Tom Ford Extreme, but it was £80!! I got samples of the whole Prive line, and lots of other little bits and bobs, and am officially content.

Was a great day

Half full bottle of Versailles pour Homme arrived some days ago.
    Ordered vintage Derby yesterday.
    Last edited by pelle; 10th May 2008 at 07:51 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

At Barneys, I got the fourth and last (for my collection) of the Parfums Delrae: Amoureuse. (I already have Eau Illuminée, Bois de Paradis, and Début.)

Amoureuse
    (2002)
    Michel Roudnitska
    Top Notes: Mandarin Wood, Cardamom
    Middle Notes: Tuberose, Jasmine, Tahitian White Ginger
    Base Notes: Cedar, Moss, Sandalwood, Honey

In the Basenotes Reviews, purplebird7 says (among other things), "
    The entire impression is very green, mildly woody, and white floral. It is strong, but soft. It has great lasting power. And it is has distinction — it is different from other perfumes on the market. Excellent composition."

I agree completely.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Jaisalmer and Zagorsk (Series 3: Incense) by Comme des Garcons

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Stocking up on casual scents for the upcoming summer... so yesterday I ordered XS, Photo, Grey Flannel and Polo Explorer online, of which XS and Grey Flannel are blind buys. This is actually the first time I've ordered anything from outside the EU, which makes it interesting to see how the duties and taxes work out.
    Last edited by calculus; 11th May 2008 at 07:46 AM.

Yesterday, I did something I thought that I would never do in a million years: I bought Davidoff Cool Water. Seriously. Thanks, Luca Turin.

Yup, it was $24.99 for a 2.5 oz bottle at TJ Maxx... cheaper than the drugstore or online. Fresh stock, too, with the updated packaging (I've actually seen department stores selling old stock). I thought that "if Luca Turin gave it 5 stars, why the heck not?"

And so far, I like it a lot! I needed more all-weather scents in my collection, and this one fits the bill.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Bvlgari PH Soir
    Alyssa Ashley Musk
    a sample of Narcisso Rodriguez for him