Code of Conduct

Default Do you enjoy sharp and bracing openings?

I was just thinking that it seems like most people hate the opening notes of (the two most notorious scents I've got in my wardrobe) say, Grey Flannel or L'Anarchiste.

While I agree that neither of them are something I'd want to spray immediately before being in the presence of others, I find the sharp openings refreshing, eye opening, and altogether positive; at least in the case of those two fragrances in particular. Of course, there are other sharp openings I can't stand (notably, M7), but that's because I don't even like the accord, even if it wasn't sharp and bracing.

So, do you like sharp or bracing openings? Sometimes, always, never? Only in certain fragrance categories (i.e. sharp citruses are nice in EDCs)?

Is it ok if the opening is sharp but settles in 30 minutes.. 15.. 5? Where are your limits?

Share your thoughts.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Do you enjoy sharp and bracing openings?

This is an interesting topic. I didn't mind Grey Flannel's opening, but after 15 minutes (or whatever it was) it went into a crude, putrid/acrid sandalwood type of thing (that I hate). On the other hand, I usually try to knock out most of the openings (of all of my frags) now by inhaling deeply, spraying, then blowing on my chest to dry it quickly while walking into another room before inhaling again. This allows me to appreciate the middle and base notes. I have big problems with my appreciation of the frag getting calibrated to the opening, and I find that I can spray just once or twice and appreciate it for hours if I use my technique (and also others around me don't complain that it's too strong).

I've been testing out Asprey Purple Water, and I loveee it, the opening is one of the main reasons, it's sharp, tangy and piercing. Versace Man Eau Fraiche is similar, just a bit more aquatic.

i dont really find grey flannel to be sharp and bracing even in the opening. To me this scent is very green but the sickeningly sweet violet note overpowers me, it reminds me of those really soapy violet gum/mints to a T. But i can see what you mean with the green aspect. I find the Cartier pasha menthe scent to be very sharp and bracing, and really anything with that minty bite to it, live jazz?
    interresting topic.

Well I guess I should have worded it better, especially in reference to Grey Flannel's opening, but I guess I just meant a really "overpowering" opening that one could safely generalize and say would be offensive to the general public . Grey Flannel's opening isn't sharp in a citric way or anything, but it is just so green and violetty and distinctly 'separate' from the rest of the frag that I consider it 'sharp.' It's like a slap in the face.

So I guess that's what I'm asking. Do you like it rough, do you like a slap in the face every now and again?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 28th May 2008 at 07:01 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

none of those can possibly compare to the robustness of the Eau D'Hermes opening......it's like someone set 100 pounds of fertilizer on fire....

then it settles down into something that just smells like sex.....filthy, dirty, spicy sex.

I enjoy the sharp peppermint and fennel in the top notes of Piper Nigrum.

I've yet to meet any fragrances with as 'sharp and bracing' topnotes as Joop! Nightflight. Try spraying that under your neck, lying on your back and inhaling deeply.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

.....And that is exactly why I cannot "deal" with my Joop! Nightflight.

I cannot stand its 'sharp and bracing' opening at all. Not to mention its loud projection !! Just plain unacceptable in my mind. I wish someone had wrote that on the review's here on Basenotes. I cannot stand these kind of openings, but can see why some would . It could be a good smack across the face to wake a person up, I guess.

Another fragrence with a loud opening , in my opinion is 212 Men......Whoa! Sharp !!

Blog Entries

I like sharp, bracing notes in an aftershave. And they need to be gone in 10 minutes or less.

In fragrances, I don't care for them. Bright topnotes are nice - but nothing that smacks me across the face and makes me write bad checks. Except in aftershaves.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."