Code of Conduct

Default Paco Rabanne La Nuit.

Anyone out there got any experience of Paco Rabanne's La Nuit in either the edt or edp or both ,views and opinions wanted please.

Default Re: Paco Rabanne La Nuit.

La Nuit is a very 1980's style fragrance; a tenacious, over the top, musty floral, leather, musk, patchouli, almost mess. It has reputation for being a dirty scent, which I don't agree with. It starts sweet and very loud and then passes on to a wonderful leather skin scent that stays around for quite a long time. It's reputation for being dirty probably comes from the fact that it smells like oily skin that has had make-up reapplied numerous times without being washed. I bet if you get it on your clothes, the smell will last a decade.
    I just shared my bottle with a couple of fellow Basenoters that I am sure can give you a description with more note, by note finesse than I'm capable of.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th May 2008 at 10:29 PM.

A friend recommended this to me as the most sumptuous leather scent around for under $20 a bottle. Well, he got the cheap part correct. To me this smells like a little old lady...literally. I smell faint florals, and powder and then comes the smell of old skin/leather. This is a POWER fragrance and on me it never really calmed down. When I used to wear it, people would say things like, "Did you just hug an old lady doused in perfume?", and "Did you just clean the bathroom?". That's right, this can smell a lot like a bathroom cleaner if it isn't applied very lightly along with the dreaded urinal cake (fake cherry) accord. I never got used to it and finally gave it away to -you guessed it- a little old lady!

Basenotes Institution

I approached La Nuit thinking this was just one more woman's leather chypre that I could wear easily (Cabochard, Tabac Blond, Bandit, etc.). Not so.

As Ruggles has already mentioned, the top notes come charging out of the gate very strongly. While most leather chypres start out citrus-y or green, LN starts out extremely floral. Sharply floral - with an almost metallic edge to them. I actually gritted my teeth, the first time I applied it.

What makes the floral notes so embellished and deep is a good amount of civet, in my opinion. If you like that sort of thing (which I do) then you'll stick around at this point and keep re-sniffing the arm where you sprayed LN a lot. However, because of the 80's vibe this gives off (aldehyde's?), I was a little disappointed. I am able to hold my own against ghastly strong florals (like Knowing by Estee Lauder, for instance) but this aforementioned phantom aldehyde note made it a little annoying to my nose.

The drydown is the very best part of LN. About 5-6 hours later, you are left with a muted, green and softly animalic (almost buttery) note. It's perfectly pitched (at this time) and gives off just the right amount of sillage. It also smells nothing like any of it's leather chypre contemporaries at this point either. I like the drydown of Bandit perhaps the most, yet LN does it even better.

Sounds like a lot of work to enjoy, huh? It is. If you've got the time and the patience, try it. If not, head straight for another leather chypre that's more accessible.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th May 2008 at 12:58 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

after reading what you guys have written....i am truly intrigued!

*writes La Nuit on the ever growing list*

I tried to edp, was horrible like Lutens Arabie meets Paloma Picasso!

that said leather chypres can be great, Balmain Jolie Madame, Lancome Sikkim specially the old one (I was not happy with the reissue) and Courreges Empreinte are amazing!

Edit: I own a bottle of the edp.

It's a quality fragrance with one of the most sensual and long-lasting drydowns there is. I don't wear it but love it on my gf. Sort of a less sweet vintage Tabu with a big dose of bitter chypre, but not as leathery as some of its relatives, becomes more and more animalic as it goes. It smells best after about five hours, and that's when the animalics are strongest. Basically "like naked skin heated up by the lazy morning sun in a languid morning after a vigorous night". It's easily one of the most animalic fragrances I've ever smelled, but people have a misunderstanding of what animalic means, therefore the perceptions are all over the place. Vintage Bal a Versailles, vintage Tabu, MKK, none of them are anymore sensual in the far drydown than La Nuit.

Last edited by pluran; 8th December 2011 at 10:18 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by girlsodeadly View Post
    I tried to edp, was horrible like Lutens Arabie meets Paloma Picasso!
    Funny - I remember thinking about Paloma Picasso when I first smelled La Nuit also. Yet another BIG floral.

We have discussed La Nuit before here on BN - where I mentioned Turin's comments on it - link here.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Funny - I remember thinking about Paloma Picasso when I first smelled La Nuit also. Yet another BIG floral.

We have discussed La Nuit before here on BN - where I mentioned Turin's comments on it - link here.
    Thanks for the link! I do get animalic notes but I find La Nuit more on the spicy dry leather woody side than dirty animalic. La Nuit 's heartnotes turn sour on my skin and remind me of Lutens Cedre 's sawdust feel which I hate. There 's a soap note which could have been interesting if it had made the whole composition more feminine and softer by contrast to the spicy leather stuff but it 's too faint.
    My most animalic experience ever in perfume is my vintage Narcisse Noir parfum, that old Caron far exceeds anything else (the formula that used natural musk and Daltroff 's own bases that are no longer used in perfumery).

Thanks for your replies ,arabie meets paloma picasso ! could be good because i like arabie and my girlfriend has recently worn paloma picasso and as it's for her it could be interesting,needless to say i'll give it a blast in the crook of the elbow too as i've done with her agent provocateur which smells sexy on her in a sort of contrived way but an altogether dirtier and spicier scent on me.
    Last edited by fenton_t_fox; 28th May 2008 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by girlsodeadly View Post
    Thanks for the link! I do get animalic notes but I find La Nuit more on the spicy dry leather woody side than dirty animalic. La Nuit 's heartnotes turn sour on my skin.
    I find that La Nuit as well as many leathers go sour on me, too. Sourness is the last thing that I want to smell off. Have you ever tried Bal a Versailles? I have the EdC on today and it reminds me of La Nuit without the sourness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I find that La Nuit as well as many leathers go sour on me, too. Sourness is the last thing that I want to smell off. Have you ever tried Bal a Versailles? I have the EdC on today and it reminds me of La Nuit without the sourness.
    Not yet ,i've looked for it on e bay a few times and there is an online site or 2 that sell it, i might well try it in the future as it seems to be one that could interest me.

Well the la nuit edp arrived and it smells nothing like arabie or paloma picasso to my nose a bit of floral overload on first application but it drys down much in the same way as MKK does on my skin just a really nice sun warmed skin note with a hint of musk ,it's passable for me to wear but i think it will suit the g/f more, unless i haven't put enough on that is. I'm a bit wary of over applying after nearly gassing 3 of us on the way home from work with 2 healthy spurts of l'heure bleu edp in the back of my mate's car ,the poor sap must have had hell trying to explain to his wife that no other woman had been in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by fenton_t_fox View Post
    Well the la nuit edp arrived and it smells nothing like arabie or paloma picasso to my nose a bit of floral overload on first application but it drys down much in the same way as MKK does on my skin just a really nice sun warmed skin note with a hint of musk ,it's passable for me to wear but i think it will suit the g/f more, unless i haven't put enough on that is. I'm a bit wary of over applying after nearly gassing 3 of us on the way home from work with 2 healthy spurts of l'heure bleu edp in the back of my mate's car ,the poor sap must have had hell trying to explain to his wife that no other woman had been in the car.
    I think La Nuit's sweetness is a bit too much for a guy to pull off, and I wear a lot of women's fragrances.