Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Explanation for Turin's take on Jovan Sex Appeal.

This may be a question to submit to Luca Turin to submit to Tania herself... and I'm not joking here or being sarcastic.

My take is that fragrances in the 80s were termed "powerhouses" because of their extreme sillage and lasting power. This stems from the fact that fragrance houses (at that time) were trying to beat one another to come up with a great fragrance with no expenses spared with regard to using quality ingredients (that's why they smell so strong). It was a matter of establishing a brand name as well as for prestige reasons. Unfortunately, nowadays it is all about corporate profits and margins. Hence, we are left with non-descript chemical-smelling watered-down perfumes today (where cheap ingredients is key). It often makes me smile when i keep seeing people asking fragrance houses to resume production of a certain perfume. They would not for two reasons: To make the exact same perfume is difficult given how much more expensive the same ingredients will cost today (compared with 20 yrs ago), not to mention availability (eg. civet, ambergris..). Also, to even approach similar quality and sillage, and try to keep prices sane, it will only mean thinner profit margins. Companies are way better off making cheap perfumes and making them look expensive through packaging.

Seems like TS was implying that JSA was basically the Axe/Lynx of its time period -- only that unlike Axe it didn't smell completely like crap.

I was silly enough to trust the review, only to deeply regret my purchase. Thankfully, after Coty Germany made E-Bay close my auction down twice, I was able to sell it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I was silly enough to trust the review, only to deeply regret my purchase. Thankfully, after Coty Germany made E-Bay close my auction down twice, I was able to sell it off.
    Lucky you!

Yeah, good riddance! Really didn't agree with me.

I understood the review in the sense that guys who smelled bad then (meaning guys who bought cheap, not highly regarded, perfumes, with a silly image that would appeal to cheesy guys, e.g. Sex Appeal) smelled good compared to today's cheesy guy's panty dropper fragrances. Which I don't know if it makes any sense in the context of the book as surely Cool Water or A*Men would be popular cheesy guy favourites and both received high ratings.

I'm so weary of these alleged masterpiece, drug store brands. Stetson also comes to mind, initially they smell great, due to the novelty of being so anachronistic. But the materials used in their construction and reformulations are so poor that they become tedious within minutes of applying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I'm so weary of these alleged masterpiece, drug store brands. Stetson also comes to mind, initially they smell great, due to the novelty of being so anachronistic. But the materials used in their construction and reformulations are so poor that they become tedious within minutes of applying.
    Sure, I hear ya on that one. Although sadly it's not just the drugstore fragrances that smell unbearably cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    In his new book, he says "this is what guys who smelled bad used to smell like. It smells great." That's from page 320. Do you think he means that guys tried to cover up their body odor by using a lot of JSA, and succeeded rather well with this approach? I really can't think of any other interpretation.
    Thanks.
    I'm not a native speaker, so take care: JSA was back then considered cheap and cheesy, not at least because of its pubertic "sex" approach. But - from todays perspective the smell of JSA is quite pleasing compared to todays faceless sporty frags.

Guys who didn't care much (or cared too much, but were cheapskates) back then smelled as good as JSA, while guys of that type today smell of nasty aquatics, pretending to be "fresh". I think TS wonders how well old cheap and carelessly bought frags compare to todays releases of that kind.

I have JSA and it smells quite pleasant to me. Nice fresh, powdery lavender. Smells similar to Lagerfeld Classic.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Exactly.

JSA is an okay scent. Ms. Sanchez also laments the passing of the original Sung to reformulation. My nose detects Sung as being the same synthetic screechy floral that it always was.

I just don't know about The Guide.

I'm with you almost in lock step. But there are some great cheapies. The Bogarts, bowling green, Eau de grey flannel, 4711, etc. But full cosign on jovan sex appeal...it's a scrubber after the ironic laugh. Ginseng NRG on the other hand, I still have a soft spot for.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    But there are some great cheapies ..., bowling green, Eau de grey flannel, 4711, etc.
    Dullah, no love for regular Grey Flannel?

I agree though there are a few that are worth it, for me Grey Flannel is one, Quorum is another. Most are not good.

I concur as well with ortho123! It has nice balance as an Oriental, although I do get nice spices in the heart including cinnamon and a nice touch of cloves (but as you said - not too much of one thing). The sandalwood is more apparent in the Vintage formulation, along with a key note of amber (that is even more pronounced in current formulation with less sandalwood). The spicy/herbal/patchouli top notes transcend the entire wearing with the wood and amber coming in on the base. In Vintage, the patchouli is definitely richer along with the depth of the fragrance.

Current formulation, while is lacks in longevity, does retain most of the notes and definitely the same vibe. It is a regular in my rotation and I actually like how it works in warm weather - just a lighter application. Touching up is easy as a small splash of this on your neck, chest and hands...you're set.

While all the Vintage Musks reign superior to current formulation - Jovan has come back with a nice bottle of Sex Appeal. Try the latest White Musk for Men as well. Totally different composition, but even current formulation (for the price) is very good, although the Vintage I have is excellent! I just picked up a current formulation 6oz splash bottle for around $13-14 and I already had a NIB Vintage 4oz. I'm set.

My collection of Vintage Musks is a delight to wear - but, Jovan Sex Appeal has a "special" touch to it that makes it really a wonderful scent and composition. It is definitely going to be one I reach for...often.

Cheers & great post in this thread!

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wonderfully said ortho123.

I happen to love JSA also - although I've been looking for a vintage bottle of it online, as the new stuff (on the shelf at Target) has much less longevity.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen