Code of Conduct

Default Can you make a unisex or female perfume more masculin, by layering or mixing frags?

How can you make a unisex or (borderline) female perfume , more masculin?. for example to make Shalimar more masculin adding a citrucy note would probably work. The main thing is that usually the basenotes are common in male/female fragrances...it is the topnotes and to a lesser degree heartnotes that have to be modified. What are your actual experiences?
    Last edited by afraafra; 28th May 2008 at 01:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How can you make a female perfume , more masculin, what can you add?

I find that wearing anything only underarm (with unscented deodorant) diminishes the topnotes and darkens the base with my own odors, making some feminines smell like strange masculines. The only catch is losing the beautiful topnotes.

One thing I have also discovered is that other people's definitions of feminine often differ from mine. My wife thinks that Un Jardin sur le Nil is plenty masculine, but I find it very feminine. But she thinks that Bois d'Iris is "old lady", whereas I think it's a nice dark masculine iris/wood/smoky.

Default Re: How can you make a female perfume , more masculin, what can you add?

I'll try the underarm only suggestion sounds plausible, In general it seems any fragrance with florals in it .Not all flowers though, say Geranium, neroli, carnation, jasmin, lily-of-the-valley, and rosemary are used in male fragrances also , but they are almost always the topnotes and can be manipulated quite easily..

Default Re: Can you make a unisex or female perfume More Masculin, what can you add?

You could maybe try layering something woodier and drier under the more feminine juice. Let's say, for example, Shalimar with a sandalwood base under it....

Default Re: Can you make a unisex or female perfume More Masculin, what can you add?

Add lavender or neroli.

Pure Testosterone

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    You could maybe try layering something woodier and drier under the more feminine juice. Let's say, for example, Shalimar with a sandalwood base under it....
    I agree that adding some vetiver, patchouli, cedar, etc. will help butch it up. I wear a lot of women's fragrances and I find that you just have to let them drydown for at least an hour before dealing with the public. You are basically dealing with sweet, floral top notes. I also find that they work best in casual situations, dinners, parties. I find Shalimar to be one of the most unisex out of the bunch.

Default Re: Can you make a unisex or female perfume more masculin, by layering or mixing frag

For a long time I wouldn't touch a feminine labeled frag. I'm more open minded now. To answer your question simply, Yes, layer away. Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as one frag on the left and one on the right. You'll need to experiment with amounts and which goes on top of which to get the effect you want. Some fave combinations of mine are:

Robert Piguet's VISA (fem) great pear note/ CANOE (masc) clean, barber shop spices.
    SHALIMAR (fem) vanilla/ AU MASCULIN (masc) anise and cedar
    Dior's POISON (fem) groovy fruit and insence notes/ OPUS 1870 (masc) warm pepper base

and this one will freak some people out...

Robert Piguet's FRACAS (fem) wild tuberose effect/ Ysl's RIVE GAUCHE PH (masc) equally wild blend enhanced by FRACAS' florals.
    Last edited by argogos; 29th May 2008 at 03:06 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.