Code of Conduct

Default CDG Series 8 Energy C: Lime -- My Review

CDG Series 8 Energy C: Lime

Lime notes:
    Lime, bergamot, green lemon, water jasmine, rose tea, lily of the valley, musk, cedar, white amber.

The initial burst starts out with a typical lime aroma found in most lime scents. However, CDG Lime quickly departs from this cooling note that many of us enjoy. There is not a lot to analyze here as the musk, cedar, and white amber accord quickly take center stage. I am a huge fan of Comme des Garcons and their use of woods and incense. They are renowned for pulling off unthinkable notes that seem an oddity to create a timeless masterpiece. This is not the case with Lime. In my estimation, cedar does not belong in this composition and tends to roughen the edges a bit. As the refreshing lime almost instantly subsides, I step and try to ascertain the overall picture. If I didn’t know better, I would think I was smelling a lime fizz soda, a creamy key lime pie, or some type of candy but as I mentioned previously, the musk, cedar, and white amber take the stage with cedar being the note that for me, in spite of my liking for this wood, ruins the composition. The longevity if actually decent but wears close to the skin. As a citrus fragrance, I award this a disappointing 0/5.

Default Re: CDG Series 8 Energy C: Lime -- My Review

Great review Scentologist!

Count me in as a new fan of CDG's woods/incense/smoke masterpieces and I only own just ONE frag from their portfolio yet, the CDG2 edp. I hope I get lucky and be able to sample/buy more from their collections, primarily the Incense series.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

I think many here on BN already know that I am a big fan of Comme des Garcons fragrances, yet I am in no rush to sample the Energy Series. Strange, isn't it?

Maybe it's because of the lackluster reviews that I've been reading? Maybe I'm not really interested in smelling yet another lemon, lime or grapefruit scent that costs more than $50 for less than one ounce.

I recently purchased some Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes online at deeply discounted prices. I know that basically EdOV is a lime scent, but I would imagine that it's in the same catgory and classifcation as the Energy C: Lime. I bought two (2) 1 oz splash bottles (that is 100 ml), a scented body shampoo, scented shampoo and conditioner AND a scented refreshing body gel - all for less than $50.

You do the math.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mikeperez23, you made an excellent decision with your Hermes purchase. I love CDG as well and hesitated to give this review because I love them. However, I felt responsible and decided to through my opinion out there, for what its worth. It is terribly pricey for what it is. In that, you are absolutely correct. There are far better citrus scents out there to be had. I recall truefill & Hill and the discontinued Penhalligon's West Indian Limes to be far superior.

On another note, have you tried Miller Harriss Tangerine Vert? If not, may I suggest that you do so? I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It is very similar to EdOV minus the papaya note. Some of us claim that it could just be the perfect citrus ever created. Eeither TV or EdOV is an excellent addition to anyone's drobe!

I'm also a huge fan of CdG, and I was initially excited about a new series but based on the small bottles and the stuff I've read, I'm not all that anxious to try these.

On the subject of Eau D'Orange Verte-- I recently bought some myself, and I love it. The longevity is a joke, but if I want longevity, the Concentré gives me that. Here's why I like Eau D'Orange Verte: Yesterday I went fragrance free all day-- I just didn't feel like wearing anything. I had run some errands and done some shopping. Then in the evening I needed to run down to the convenience store. I felt like freshening up just a little, but I didn't feel like wearing cologne for the rest of the night. I put on some Eau D'Orange Verte and it lasted nicely for about 20 minutes and then went away. It gave me a nice jolt though. That's what it's great for, giving a little pick-me-up.

All 3 are reviewed on Nowsmellthis today. Grapefruit did well, the other two, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I'm also a huge fan of CdG, and I was initially excited about a new series but based on the small bottles and the stuff I've read, I'm not all that anxious to try these.

On the subject of Eau D'Orange Verte-- I recently bought some myself, and I love it. The longevity is a joke, but if I want longevity, the Concentré gives me that. Here's why I like Eau D'Orange Verte: Yesterday I went fragrance free all day-- I just didn't feel like wearing anything. I had run some errands and done some shopping. Then in the evening I needed to run down to the convenience store. I felt like freshening up just a little, but I didn't feel like wearing cologne for the rest of the night. I put on some Eau D'Orange Verte and it lasted nicely for about 20 minutes and then went away. It gave me a nice jolt though. That's what it's great for, giving a little pick-me-up.
    Hello Indie! Thanks for sharing with us. You must be in the camp that has longevity issues with it. I on the other hand, am in the camp where EdOV lasts all day on me, for whatever reason. I'm not saying it is a sillage monster on me but its there. I don't know if this could be that I apply frag-free lotion or because I also spray it on my clothes but it has always done well by me. I am glad to hear you enjoy it and honestly can't believe you are just now owning this since I hold your collection in high regard.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    All 3 are reviewed on Nowsmellthis today. Grapefruit did well, the other two, not so much.
    I noticed this also - but what she mentioned was that the Grapefruit does not have a very noticeable iris note. Which is honestly, the one part of it, that I was the most excited about.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Hello Indie! Thanks for sharing with us. You must be in the camp that has longevity issues with it. I on the other hand, am in the camp where EdOV lasts all day on me, for whatever reason. I'm not saying it is a sillage monster on me but its there. I don't know if this could be that I apply frag-free lotion or because I also spray it on my clothes but it has always done well by me. I am glad to hear you enjoy it and honestly can't believe you are just now owning this since I hold your collection in high regard.
    I really never have longevity issues with anything, but Eau D'Orange Verte is the ONLY fragrance I've ever used that melts away to nothing in no time. If I sprayed it on my clothes, maybe it would last longer. Still, I like it for what it is. It's like that one fragrance that you keep on your bathroom shelf to freshen up with when you need just a little mini-shower. Like after some heated bedroom activities or when you have to do something and don't have time to get cleaned up. Or if you just want something to lift your spirits. Even all the other EdC's that I have seem to last really well. This one is a true EDC, and one of the few that I don't mind spraying a little more liberally. I'm actually going to try to use up my bottle of Eau D'Orange Verte in a year or less-- just to see if I can. This is one I will always have in my drobe.

Sure the Concentré is a little different, but it lasts much longer and I think it was a smart and necessary addition to the line. The Concentré was actually my SOTE tonight-- I wore it to a bar. I love both of them and am glad to have them both in my collection. Also, I happen to think that the bottles/packaging for Eau D'Orange Verte are among the best ever. Those classy green bottles are really cool-- though I just noticed that they look a bit like little foozball dudes.

Basenotes Institution

Tried this today, for the 1st time. It was volcanic hot on Miami Beach this afternoon. Sweltering. I was running around on Lincoln Road on my lunch break and ran in for a few seconds to smell this (and to get out of the heat).

The lime/citrus top notes are very nice. Sturdy, without being too sharp. Not lime rind. The actual fruit itself. I was reminded of Eau d'Orange Verte (which I mentioned above) and I use this comparison as a compliment.

While it toned itself down (like all citrus scents normally do) the cedar Scentologist mentioned arrived. But instead of smelling woody - the notes clash and it came across (from afar) like the exact smell of Windex window cleaner. I kid you not...almost Demeter-ish. In fact, speaking about Demeter, they have a scent called Clean Windows. As the Demeter website (I am quoting) says, '...You know how it smells when right after you have finished cleaning glass and it is squeaky clean? Well, its like that moment captured in a bottle, the way only Demeter Fragrance Library can!' That about sums up Lime (Series 8: Energy C).

I don't need Clean Windows Lime.

Blech.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th August 2008 at 11:38 PM.

Mike, you windex extrapolation is spot on and I couldn't have said it better!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Mike, you windex extrapolation is spot on and I couldn't have said it better!
    Thanks S. I've heard comments from Basenoters about cedar reacting with skin chemistry negatively in certain fragrances (Un Jardin Mediteranee, Gucci Pour Homme, Cedre, etc.), but Energy C: Lime was the first time, I too, experienced such a negative reaction to the cedar.

I'm hoping the Lemon (which I haven't tried) will redeem this 'Series'.