Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Divine L'homme Sage Mini-Review - My Impressions on an Underrated Niche House's Scent

IMO, as a house, Divine is really underrated. How often do we see threads on Divine? I have recently finished my sample of L'homme Sage and have been considering whether it is bottle-worthy or not. Here's what I thought of it:

L'homme Sage begins with a spicy blast of aromatic saffron and cardamom that recalls an Indian spice market that I have often passed through in my youth, which melds in beautifully with the bitter-sweet citrus that is hidden together with some subtle notes of fruit. We are then lead by the trail of smoky incense through the woods with little flowers along the way into a base of very lovely patchouli and amber that is complimented by some very pleasant wood notes. By that time, we have already reached a wooden log cabin -- filled with the serene scent of "being at home, with peace of mind, and away from the chaos" surrounded by the enveloping earthiness of the woods that surround the cabin. Like the sage, this scent quietly seduces with words of wisdom, not with sheer power or brute force. Simply divine!

Okay, enough flowery language. This spicy-woody-sweet scent to me smells really smooth, sophisticated, and complex. However, I sometimes feel that a little something is missing when I wear it despite it being very rich and "3-dimensional." Maybe because it is too solemnly made without any sort of quirks or playfulness? Nevertheless, it is a very attractive and compelling blend indeed. Sillage is somewhere between okay to good --- and it stays surprisingly quite close to the skin for such a rich scent.

So -- what do you think? Is it worth the price for you? Or should I settle with something like Dzongkha or Merchant Loup instead? The sleek 50ml spray is 75euro ... while the 150ml flacon is 150euro.
    Last edited by moltening; 30th May 2008 at 07:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Divine L'homme Sage Mini-Review - My Impressions on an Underrated Niche House's S

150ml is definitely worth the price. Its one of the best recent niche launches IMO.

Default Re: Divine L'homme Sage Mini-Review - My Impressions on an Underrated Niche House's S

I liked it enough to pop for a full bottle.

L'homme Sage certainly is great. However, it's one of the few fragrances that came very close to being added to my wardrobe but didn't at the 11th hour. Its shortfalls, for me, are exactly as you have mentioned - it needed more oomph and didn't possess the necessary sillage that I usually look for. Every once in a while, I always find myself wanting to give it another chance but, the truth is, I can see myself getting frustrated with it. If it works for you, get it - but be sure that you won't get frustrated (or even irritated) by these very shortfalls.

Default Re: Divine L'homme Sage Mini-Review -- My Thoughts and Impressions on an Underrated S

It's initially intriguing but because they weren't handled with enough finesse, the spices blur the face and create a tiresome affability that soon dominates the fragrance. Fortunately, L'Homme de Coeur leaves out the excessive spice, makes good use of vitalizing herbs, and overall creates something that smells great and is highly wearable. Hell of a fragrance.
    Last edited by pluran; 29th May 2008 at 10:42 PM.

Yep, great house.

I remember when I first smelled Sage. That was early last year and I ordered a whole bunch of samples from LuckyScent -like 30 or something- L'Homme Sage was the first I picked, and from that lot it's the only one that made it to a full bottle. Go figure...

I like it a lot, specially in the colder months. Although sometimes it can feel a bit to serious, that's when I cheer things up with some Ignition from Lomani, these go very well together.

L'Homme Coeur is also great, I own a big bottle of this too, and I have one of their feminine frags, L'inspiratrice, which is a classic rose/patchouli that works great with oud oils.

I hope they come out with something new soon. It's been over a year since L'Inspiratrice was launched so it's about time...
    Last edited by Domingo; 29th May 2008 at 10:45 PM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Probably not entirely appropriate to advocate for my own self-interest here, but I'm selling a 50 ml bottle -- the metal one sold by Lucky Scent -- here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=208805
    Last edited by UngerWoo; 29th May 2008 at 11:47 PM.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

It's not underappreciated on Basenotes but it is in the second of a well deserved 2 year hiatus when there seemed to have been nothing that would ever take it's place. It's resting soon to take up quarters across the street from Bond 9 headquarters so some folk in NYC can experience a smell thats really worth taking to the UN and getting excited about.

Cool Re: Divine L'homme Sage Mini-Review - My Impressions on an Underrated Niche House's S

Are you suggesting Bond 9. is gonna copy it?
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Yeah, it's pretty good. I would rate it 4 stars only because I find it to have some similarities with some of the thicker richer SL scents, but not as good. I'd rather own Chergui than this.

I think it's their standout scent in the line. The other mens scent is boring and dull, soft peppers and vetiver, and the entire women's line wasn't exciting either.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 30th May 2008 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    IMO, as a house, Divine is really underrated. How often do we see threads on Divine? I have recently finished my sample of L'homme Sage and have been considering whether it is bottle-worthy or not. Here's what I thought of it:

L'homme Sage begins with a spicy blast of aromatic saffron and cardamom that recalls an Indian spice market that I have often passed through in my youth, which melds in beautifully with the bitter-sweet citrus that is hidden together with some subtle notes of fruit. We are then lead by the trail of smoky incense through the woods with little flowers along the way into a base of very lovely patchouli and amber that is complimented by some very pleasant wood notes. By that time, we have already reached a wooden log cabin -- filled with the serene scent of "being at home, with peace of mind, and away from the chaos" surrounded by the enveloping earthiness of the woods that surround the cabin. Like the sage, this scent quietly seduces with words of wisdom, not with sheer power or brute force. Simply divine!

Okay, enough flowery language. This spicy-woody-sweet scent to me smells really smooth, sophisticated, and complex. However, I sometimes feel that a little something is missing when I wear it despite it being very rich and "3-dimensional." Maybe because it is too solemnly made without any sort of quirks or playfulness? Nevertheless, it is a very attractive and compelling blend indeed. Sillage is somewhere between okay to good --- and it stays surprisingly quite close to the skin for such a rich scent.

So -- what do you think? Is it worth the price for you? Or should I settle with something like Dzongkha or Merchant Loup instead? The sleek 50ml spray is 75euro ... while the 150ml flacon is 150euro.
    Who is under rating this? Give me a break. Is it worth the price? Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost everyone who has tried it has gone ga-ga over it, including myself. I'm sorry, but Dzongka and Merchant Loup are not in the same league, both are good, but not great.
    Try L' homme Coeur for and fresh iris woody scent. Yann Vasnier is a new young buck, whose nose is the one to be reckoned with IMO. My Wife wears the equivalent to L' homme Sage - that is l' Infante - hot, hot, hot for the ladies.
    Last edited by thebeck; 30th May 2008 at 02:36 AM. Reason: add verbage

Basenotes Institution

I really, really wanted to like L' Homme Sage. I prored over many reviews of this scent, before a generous Basenoter gave me a sample.

Ultimately, it turned really creamy on my skin. And that, mixed with the saffron and spices made me feel uncomfortable. Thank goodness I sampled it, before I bought a bottle.

Funny, I just sampled L' Homme de Couer a couple of days ago, expecting more of an oomph-y iris scent and it was extremely minimal on me. I was a little underwhelmed, but it was only my 1st wearing and I will give it another chance.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac