Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge - Wow!

I took the plunge today and bought Habit Rouge. WOW. This is some mighty fine, classy stuff. I was immediately impressed by it. Not since Royal Briar by Carroll & Co. did I know within *seconds* of whiffing that this juice was for me!

Are there any other fans of it on here?

The part that was weird is the place I was at was selling a 1.7 Ounce EDT for $39.99 and the 3.4 Ounce EDT for $49.99. The boxes were different.

Did they Guerlain reformulate this recently or did they just change the packaging?
    Last edited by atrac; 30th May 2008 at 07:58 AM.

Default Re: Habit Rouge - Wow!

Is it the long rectangular bottle or the square one? I had the rectangular one which is the older one and I could not stand it. The pungent citrus accord just grew louder and louder until my skin screamed, "Uncle!!!!" Usually, new bottle means reformulation but I can not say for sure in this case.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

The one in the silver box (well it's still red at the ribbons) is not the regular HR, this is the 'Legere' version.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Habit Rouge is great. Allegedly Sean Connery and Keith Richards wears it.

Keith Richards? Wow, I'm a big fan of the Stones. But I thought he wore eh, Creed? No?

I thought Connery wore Jicky

Basenotes Plus

They can certainly wear more than one fellas.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    They can certainly wear more than one fellas.
    No kidding... You mean they are here!?

Basenotes Institution

Isn't it great stuff, atrac!? I was recently converted to the Habit Rouge Fan Club myself.

Next time you can, sample the Eau de Cologne. Even better! I'm getting ready to buy a bottle myself.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

The box I bought (3.4 ounce) is a mostly red in color and is tall and slender. I just noticed that it says copyright 2000 on it so this must be an older box if it has been repackaged.

This cologne is the reason why I don't feel guilty about trying new stuff all of the time. If I had felt like OCD was taking over and forced myself to stop, I would never have found this amazing frag!

Is the Eau de Cologne as long lasting?

The EDC is one of my all time faves. Not too light, not too heavy, with that distinctive long lasting orange-lemon accord with light hints of leather (discernable after several hours). Its like Gendarme for the kings.
    Last edited by zztopp; 30th May 2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: changed from EDT to EDCj
    -

It is far to powdery for me. I am overwhelmed by that baby powder note and it ruins the whole scent for me. I would wear it if there were no top notes and it dried down immediately after application but I could never buy a bottle. It just really doesn't sit well with me...

It's a favorite for me; I don't get a lot of powder. Thank goodness...

Sur la Plage

Awesome fragrance! Definitely try the EDC.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This is one of those that I appreciate the art behind it, but it just doesn't work on me.

It's the only fragrance that caused me to have a sneezing reaction.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Cool Re: Habit Rouge - Wow!

I don't know about Keith and Sean but it works for Marianne Faithfull, Tony Blair and me.

Scentemental will give you a very interesting report on the differences between the edc vs the edp vs the edt.

Try the Search feature.

I'm certain that, as usual, his assesment is brilliant. But for now, I 've enough headaches trying to score Nicole Miller or Havana, let alone Dunhill '34, Jean Patou or Versailles PH

So while I await Scentemental's book.

( I'm sure it will put some well known noses to shame, the man's knowledge is truly amazing! )

For now the edc vs edp vs edt is too much like an algebra problem.

*sigh*

So let me confine myself to saying only this:

Bottom line, The Red Jacket rocks!!

It was my SOTD.

I honestly don't even know why I reached for it! Was it was cooler this afternoon? Did I need an "elegant high? " Was I invoking Divine Intervention? Or fantasies of stifling a yawn in front of a firing squad?

Beats me. I just know there's something great in Habit Rouge!

Welcome to the club, atrac

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Awesome fragrance! Definitely try the EDC.
    Is there a big difference between the two ?
    cheers .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I wrote a bit about Guerlain's new packaging here. The new packaging has not meant any reformulations.

If your box says copyright 2000, it must be the next-newest packaging (with the dark-grey square with the 'double G' logo on the front's top part). Edouard Fléchier is said to have modified the formulation slightly around 2000, but done so well that it's practically unnoticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    If your box says copyright 2000, it must be the next-newest packaging (with the dark-grey square with the 'double G' logo on the front's top part). Edouard Fléchier is said to have modified the formulation slightly around 2000, but done so well that it's practically unnoticeable.
    Bingo! You know your stuff for sure.

The smaller box I could not see that well, I think it was even more red with a ....well, I didn't see it that well so I won't say for sure. It was her "tester" so I'd say that one may have been even older. Interestingly enough, I noticed a very very slight difference between what I had on me from the tester and the new box I had at home and tried.

Maybe the tester had grown a bit old. It was the same strength, just something was a little different.

Or I'm insane.

Incidentally, I am a huge fan of powdery scents and now a big fan of Habit Rouge; however, I don't get any powder in it.
    Last edited by atrac; 30th May 2008 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    I don't know about Keith and Sean but it works for Marianne Faithfull, Tony Blair and me.
    Cheers,

Mario
    Yes, and let's not forget Jack Nicholson

Welcome to the club
    And btw, prepare for the compliments.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I've been looking for a place to test this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    I've been looking for a place to test this . . .
    So was I! Believe me I am terrified of blind buys (about to list some colognes for sale on here soon in fact as a result of some).

Luckily I found a little cologne/perfume store on an "island" in the mall. I was walking past and saw a bottle of Boss Sport (which I ended up not liking) and on a whim asked if they had Habit Rouge and if I could test it.

The rest is history.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Incidentally, I am a huge fan of powdery scents and now a big fan of Habit Rouge; however, I don't get any powder in it.
    I pretty much hate powdery scents but I love Habit Rouge also. Wearing the EdT as I type this, and it's quite tenacious yet subtle. How Guerlain does that, I have no idea...but it's genius.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sounds like it might be a bit much for me. The LT description of it as "sweet dust" does make it sound like something special, though. How about the Legere version of this frag? I've seen it selling for quite a bit less. Is it for those who can't take the strength of the original?
    Thanks.

Nope! The Legere is not dusty, but louder and more citrusy. The dust is what makes Habit Rouge so fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like it might be a bit much for me. The LT description of it as "sweet dust" does make it sound like something special, though. How about the Legere version of this frag? I've seen it selling for quite a bit less. Is it for those who can't take the strength of the original?
    Thanks.

I wear this occasionally and really like it but wow--it is a powerhouse. Not in strength/sillage necessarily, but in the image it projects. I was recently chatting with a man at the bar of a classic old gentleman's club--he was middle aged, the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, and he smelled in equal parts of Habit Rouge, single malt Scotch and...... power. The combination really was formidable and compelling. I must remember to drink Lagavullan next time I wear Habit Rouge and hope for the best.

Powdery scents don't appeal to me, but Habit Rouge is special. A classic that should at least be sampled by everyone.

Nice post Oviatt.

Someone here asked what s the diference and if this diference is big between the EDT and the EDC.

I wanna ask the same thing, since HR EDT was, along with Declaration (two classics i guess^^) the first two bottles of my wardrobe. It never stoped from that day, so of course i have a special "relationship" with HR and love it. I sometimes get tired of some frags that slowly start to seem boring to my nose. However, it will never happen with HR, it s just a unique fragrance.

Knowing this, should i really try the EDC `? Big diference ? What about sillage and longevity (which i both find amazing in the EDT) , because longevity and sillage are 2 very important things for me.

Ty

It's a staple in my wardrobe. Awesome stuff.

I think the edc is a fickle scent. Sometimes it seems to last on me as long as the edt, sometimes it doesn't. I don't give such a wishy washy answer because I want to make the scent more glorious, holding out the chance that it might have longevity and all that, but because it is fickle and I really can't say what longevity it has on me. I know when a scent has no longevity on me, so I would know if HR edc had none.

They're both great, the edt and the edc. I fell first in love with the edc and it's got a good spell on me as I consider it the best the name has to offer in regard to scent trippy experience. It's autumnal powder and soft leather are not quite repeated in the edt so the aura of the edt isn't quite the same--still worthy of the name and still great though.

The edc is HR purity, but at the cost of some duration and sillage over time. Edt lasts all day on me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Habit Rouge never disappoints...all levels of the pyramid work together to deliver a substantial and magical experience. That leathery drydown is legendary.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I have never been without the edt, and am now quite addicted to the edp. I am even beginning to appreciate the 'legere' in these cool but humid June days. Whatever else I buy I still get through more HR than anything else. Even after quite lengthy obsessions with others I still return!