Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water created by same perfumer - WTF!?!?!?!

According to Luca Turin in his new guide, Pierre Bourdon created both GIT & Cool Water. In some way, this makes perfect sense and in another way, it's a perverse pun. Can a perfumer copy himself using cheaper ingredients for another house and get away with it? Thoughts?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Question Re: Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water created by same perfumer - WTF!?!?!?!

Someone give dude a job, and surround him with Mint, Orris, and Freesia.

Did he make Truefitt & Hill Freshman as well ?
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water created by same perfumer - WTF!?!?!?!

I think that was an error in the book, but I'm not too sure. I don't think they were made by the same perfumer. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water created by same perfumer - WTF!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I think that was an error in the book, but I'm not too sure. I don't think they were made by the same perfumer. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    No error. The topic was covered extensively in another thread. If you have questions, contact Michael Edwards...or Creed. I'm sure Creed would love to tell you about it. Bourdon's one of the greatest perfumers of all-time and you can bet that he wasn't the first outside perfumer to make a Creed fragrance (though chances are it wasn't a perfumer of Bourdon's quality). There are all sorts of interesting things to know about this company, and I'm sure we'll hear more about them soon enough.

I haven't worn either for awhile but I've always preferred Cool Water and find it to be the more interesting fragrance over time. Both fragrances use synthetics, but Cool Water uses them to greater advantage giving the underlying structure a feeling of something more solid and durable.

I'd also add that the word "synthetic" is profoundly understood. All competent fragrances outside of natural perfumery generally use copious amounts of synthetics, and have since Jicky was made in 1889. As well, what you may perceive as synthetic, may in fact be a natural ingedient or accord that just smells that way, and vice versa.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th May 2008 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I've always preferred Cool Water, and find it a significantly more interesting fragrance over time.
    I'm with you on that.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I've always preferred Cool Water
    I'm with you, too.

Not jumping on a "Creed Hate" bandwagon but it feels better on me. I wore GIT on a fun and easy work day and found it to be detrimental to the fun mood. Perfumery is an abstract art and gnaws at you in odd ways I'd never understand.

No error. The topic was covered extensively in another thread.
    Thanks for the clarification. I often hear stories both ways, so I wasn't sure.

I also have both but prefer GIT....in fact I don't really even like Cool Water.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Before this thread descend into Creed hysteria, this topic has been discussed before and has been refuted in a Bourdon interview as well. Search around basenotes for a link to Bourdons' (and Malle's) interview where he discusses the history of Cool Water.

As for the scents themselves...I used to wear Cool Water long before I moved onto GIT. Cool Water is a decent fragrance, but it has this tangy note which smells a bit off to me .. it uses more synthetics (even an average nose can notice it) and smells a lot less rich. It lacks the amazing slightly spicy violet leaf note that makes GIT a huge favorite of mine. And ofcourse the GIT drydown does the final demolition job on Cool Water. Try Floris JF for a higher end Cool Water (both have that tangy citrus note) but JF does it better.
    -

good to know ZZtop, my package of GIT is arriving soon and im sure it'll live up to its expectation. I hate Cool water btw, the only scent which i would never buy. i have read conflicting reviews on GIT, but ill go wiht th ones that are positive...im really curious about its drydown....someone earlier referred to it as "camp fire" and being a true green scent.

btw, the freind in US who is shippin it for me is pretty new to this but has a decent collection by now including CW, SMW, OV, PS london, Tumulte, Opium etal.

Now this guy, he too didnt like CW atall. i asked him to try the GIT and the next day he was like, "man, its heavenly" and that it lasts all day with the drydown being so comforting... i didnt have the same response for CW from him..so, that says a lot, especially whn it comes from someone who is realatively new to this...anyways, sorry i got deviated from the topic.
    Last edited by jenson; 30th May 2008 at 08:19 AM.

I've known both for a long time, and to me they are different fragrances. I couldn't say that one is better than the other, but if forced to make a decision I would hang on to GIT which is more in my age bracket.
    Last edited by narcus; 30th May 2008 at 09:02 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Can a perfumer copy himself using cheaper ingredients for another house and get away with it? Thoughts?
    I don't know whether it's true or not but I think he could get away with it seeing as how Creed wants us all to believe that all fragrances are created by the Creed family themselves.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I'd also add that the word "synthetic" is profoundly understood. All competent fragrances outside of natural perfumery generally use copious amounts of synthetics, and have since Jicky was made in 1889. As well, what you may perceive as synthetic, may in fact be a natural ingedient or accord that just smells that way, and vice versa.
    Amen.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Just GIT...no compare to Cool Water...GIT got much more going on...the drydown is so different!!! GIT is a Classic

To me GIT smells richer and fuller than CW, which features an unpleasant tinniness that turns me off most aquatics. To me it's obvious that Bourdon had a much tighter budget on the Davidoff, even if Turin thinks he improved the construction. Well, I'll take the 1920 Orient Express over a 1980 New York subway anytime.

The supreme irony in all this is, that, according to Turin, Green Frch Tweed (5 stars) is actually better than Green Irish Tweed (4 stars).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

As has been recorded elsewhere, I am not exactly the biggest proponent of Creed out there.

Following the "Sick of Creed" thread a few days ago when someone suggested going to Creed with an open mind I did exactly that the other day at Selfridges.

As I had a clean 2.5ml atomiser bottle with me, I decanted a load of Erolfa into it and promised myself I would give it a fair crack. I did, I think's pretty for the short while it lives and then it dies, what a waste of money that would be.

I also said that I would really give GIT a fair crack of the whip too. And sorry, it really does smell like Cool Water. Yes, I agree that the drydown is marginally better and you have to get pretty nose-to-skin to notice the difference but not worth the difference in price - Cool Water lasts longer on the skin too.

Am I surprised that GIT and Cool Water were formulated by the same nose? No, not at all.

The search for a Creed that HDS likes continues... (actually Orginal Santal is not bad but I wouldn't fork out the money for it, particularly as my next purchase is Chevalier by D'Orsay which is far nicer and more rare out there).

GIT > Cool Water.
    The average nose can detect which smells more natural. It does not take a PhD in Chemistry to figure it out.

I used to wear Cool Water all the time, and only recently tried GIT (from a decant from the Perfumed Court). For me (read: on my skin), GIT doesn't smell anything like Cool Water. Here's my breakdown:

Scent - winner: GIT. Even though they don't smell anything alike (to me), GIT is smoother overall and gently caresses the nose rather than Cool Water, which firmly taps on the nostrils. Cool Water does have the edge here if you need a fresh scent that will cut through a crowd and isn't all citrus.

Sillage - winner: Cool Water. GIT wears slightly closer to the skin, but the sillage is definitely there, as GIT has been noticed on me from about 2-3 feet away (which is best, IMO). Cool Water can be detected (based on the same amount of sprays) from closer to 5-6 feet away. Cool Water wins in sillage because it has more of it.

Longevity - winner: GIT. Something about Creeds causes them to last ridiculously long on my skin. Cool Water seems to last longer for most people, but since this is my evaulation, GIT wins with 8-10 of noticeable scent, versus 5-6 hours of Cool Water.

Price - winner: Cool Water. No surprise here, when Cool Water is selling in TJ Maxx.

So there you have it - I tend to prefer the understated nature of GIT versus the more in-your-face sharpness of Cool Water, and the sillage is just right - I don't want everyone to smell me, just those closest around me.

If you're into the club scene, and think that Cool Water smells just like GIT, then by all means, buy a bottle and then get a "Green Frich Tweed" for display (if you are so inclined). I'll stick with the Creed.
    Last edited by baudilus; 30th May 2008 at 02:35 PM.

Blog Entries

no wonder they're both rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    no wonder they're both rubbish!
    But then again so is Kouros, one of Bourdon's other creations.

Only this time he copied Olivier Creed, not himself...

For me (read: on my skin), GIT doesn't smell anything like Cool Water.
    And to counter that, I can't believe anyone can say: 'GIT does not smell *anything* like Cool Water' with a straight face! It does, it's not a carbon copy, but they're definitely related.

Infinitely more than, say, Creed Himalaya and Cool Water or Millesime Imperial and Cool Water.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    And to counter that, I can't believe anyone can say: 'GIT does not smell *anything* like Cool Water' with a straight face! It does, it's not a carbon copy, but they're definitely related.

Infinitely more than, say, Creed Himalaya and Cool Water or Millesime Imperial and Cool Water.
    Firstly, I said "on my skin." Secondly, I meant it as such: I'm not reminded at all of Cool Water when I smell GIT.

Just because they smell the same to you doesn't mean they smell the same to everyone, and obviously body chemistry differs greatly.

The fact that they are both aquatic is where the similarity ends for me. I don't see why you feel the need to "counter" my statement.
    Last edited by baudilus; 30th May 2008 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    Firstly, I said "on my skin." Secondly, I meant it as such: I'm not reminded at all of Cool Water when I smell GIT.

Just because they smell the same to you doesn't mean they smell the same to everyone, and obviously body chemistry differs greatly.

The fact that they are both aquatic is where the similarity ends for me. I don't see why you feel the need to "counter" my statement.
    I spray them in the air and they both smell very very similar.
    Perhaps the sense of smell differs dramatically among our species.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    According to Luca Turin in his new guide, Pierre Bourdon created both GIT & Cool Water. In some way, this makes perfect sense and in another way, it's a perverse pun. Can a perfumer copy himself using cheaper ingredients for another house and get away with it? Thoughts?
    Nope - this is the real deal. Most "Noses" work for one of the big 6 fragrance companies - and are hired by firms to create their fragrances for them. It is not inconceivable that the person that made Cool Water and GIT also put fragrance in a dishwashing liquid, too!
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post

They are not a carbon copy, but they are pretty close. They are close enough that if you were not familiar with Creed, and smelled someone wearing GIT, you may think they are wearing Cool Water, though. A friend of mine made that mistake when I was wearing my sample of GIT (he owns Cool Water).
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Spraying into the air is a pretty silly way to test something.

Quote Originally Posted by charlielu View Post
    I spray them in the air and they both smell very very similar.
    Perhaps the sense of smell differs dramatically among our species.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

My opinion. It's like doing a university course. If you think Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed are nearly the same, or that one is a copy of the other, then you are still an undergraduate.

If you think they are totally different, congratulations - you've graduated.

If you search back far enough, you will find my post saying that Green Irish Tweed wasn't worth buying as it was too similar to Cool Water. Now I own three bottles of GIT and can't for the life of me see any resemblance between the two.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    My opinion. It's like doing a university course. If you think Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed are nearly the same, or that one is a copy of the other, then you are still an undergraduate.

If you think they are totally different, congratulations - you've graduated.

If you search back far enough, you will find my post saying that Green Irish Tweed wasn't worth buying as it was too similar to Cool Water. Now I own three bottles of GIT and can't for the life of me see any resemblance between the two.
    Renato
    Applause!!! the stadium is roaring!!

im lookin forward to creeds in transit..wht really turned me on and about this brand was whn i purchsed unforgivable, it was splendid and like most of you know is a better ..or let me say far better version of ST Dupont PH...now whn i put acrosss a thread comparing it with MI...our fellow Bners pointed out Creed was much more superior than the unforgivable...now, if thats true, i wont even blink while spending double the money on the Creed MI...
    Last edited by jenson; 30th May 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Applause!!! the stadium is roaring!!

im lookin forward to creeds in arriving in transit..wht really turned me on and about this brand was whn i purchsed unforgivable, it was splendid and like most of you know is a better ..or let me say far better version of ST Dupont PH...now whn i put acrosss a thread comparing it with MI...our fellow Bners pointed out Creed was much more superior than the unforgivable...now, if thats true, i wont even blink while spending double the money on the Creed MI...
    The similarities between MI and Unforgivable are quite a bit more "stark" to me than the similarities between GIT and Cool Water.

Unforgivable smells like a well-done albeit more synthetic copy of MI. As you probably guessed, I prefer Millesime Imperial for its more natural and smooth texture, not to mention the 15 hours I get from it.

It is not worth it to say if they are similar or not. You ain't changing someone else's opinion and people get very sensitive about it.
    All I have to say is that GIT is 5% more annoying and Cool Water is 8% more cheap smelling. However that should be expected: GIT is 430% more expensive.

The best fragrance of the genre? Eau D New York - Bond. Not identical and therefore much better.
    Last edited by irish; 30th May 2008 at 06:06 PM.