Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water created by same perfumer - WTF!?!?!?!

According to Luca Turin in his new guide, Pierre Bourdon created both GIT & Cool Water. In some way, this makes perfect sense and in another way, it's a perverse pun. Can a perfumer copy himself using cheaper ingredients for another house and get away with it? Thoughts?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Question Re: Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water created by same perfumer - WTF!?!?!?!

Someone give dude a job, and surround him with Mint, Orris, and Freesia.

Did he make Truefitt & Hill Freshman as well ?

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water created by same perfumer - WTF!?!?!?!

I think that was an error in the book, but I'm not too sure. I don't think they were made by the same perfumer. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed & Cool Water created by same perfumer - WTF!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I think that was an error in the book, but I'm not too sure. I don't think they were made by the same perfumer. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    No error. The topic was covered extensively in another thread. If you have questions, contact Michael Edwards...or Creed. I'm sure Creed would love to tell you about it. Bourdon's one of the greatest perfumers of all-time and you can bet that he wasn't the first outside perfumer to make a Creed fragrance (though chances are it wasn't a perfumer of Bourdon's quality). There are all sorts of interesting things to know about this company, and I'm sure we'll hear more about them soon enough.

I haven't worn either for awhile but I've always preferred Cool Water and find it to be the more interesting fragrance over time. Both fragrances use synthetics, but Cool Water uses them to greater advantage giving the underlying structure a feeling of something more solid and durable.

I'd also add that the word "synthetic" is profoundly understood. All competent fragrances outside of natural perfumery generally use copious amounts of synthetics, and have since Jicky was made in 1889. As well, what you may perceive as synthetic, may in fact be a natural ingedient or accord that just smells that way, and vice versa.
    Last edited by pluran; 31st May 2008 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I've always preferred Cool Water, and find it a significantly more interesting fragrance over time.
    I'm with you on that.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I've always preferred Cool Water
    I'm with you, too.

Not jumping on a "Creed Hate" bandwagon but it feels better on me. I wore GIT on a fun and easy work day and found it to be detrimental to the fun mood. Perfumery is an abstract art and gnaws at you in odd ways I'd never understand.

No error. The topic was covered extensively in another thread.
    Thanks for the clarification. I often hear stories both ways, so I wasn't sure.

I also have both but prefer GIT....in fact I don't really even like Cool Water.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Before this thread descend into Creed hysteria, this topic has been discussed before and has been refuted in a Bourdon interview as well. Search around basenotes for a link to Bourdons' (and Malle's) interview where he discusses the history of Cool Water.

As for the scents themselves...I used to wear Cool Water long before I moved onto GIT. Cool Water is a decent fragrance, but it has this tangy note which smells a bit off to me .. it uses more synthetics (even an average nose can notice it) and smells a lot less rich. It lacks the amazing slightly spicy violet leaf note that makes GIT a huge favorite of mine. And ofcourse the GIT drydown does the final demolition job on Cool Water. Try Floris JF for a higher end Cool Water (both have that tangy citrus note) but JF does it better.
    -

good to know ZZtop, my package of GIT is arriving soon and im sure it'll live up to its expectation. I hate Cool water btw, the only scent which i would never buy. i have read conflicting reviews on GIT, but ill go wiht th ones that are positive...im really curious about its drydown....someone earlier referred to it as "camp fire" and being a true green scent.

btw, the freind in US who is shippin it for me is pretty new to this but has a decent collection by now including CW, SMW, OV, PS london, Tumulte, Opium etal.

Now this guy, he too didnt like CW atall. i asked him to try the GIT and the next day he was like, "man, its heavenly" and that it lasts all day with the drydown being so comforting... i didnt have the same response for CW from him..so, that says a lot, especially whn it comes from someone who is realatively new to this...anyways, sorry i got deviated from the topic.
    Last edited by jenson; 30th May 2008 at 09:19 AM.

I've known both for a long time, and to me they are different fragrances. I couldn't say that one is better than the other, but if forced to make a decision I would hang on to GIT which is more in my age bracket.
    Last edited by narcus; 30th May 2008 at 10:02 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Can a perfumer copy himself using cheaper ingredients for another house and get away with it? Thoughts?
    I don't know whether it's true or not but I think he could get away with it seeing as how Creed wants us all to believe that all fragrances are created by the Creed family themselves.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I'd also add that the word "synthetic" is profoundly understood. All competent fragrances outside of natural perfumery generally use copious amounts of synthetics, and have since Jicky was made in 1889. As well, what you may perceive as synthetic, may in fact be a natural ingedient or accord that just smells that way, and vice versa.
    Amen.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Just GIT...no compare to Cool Water...GIT got much more going on...the drydown is so different!!! GIT is a Classic

To me GIT smells richer and fuller than CW, which features an unpleasant tinniness that turns me off most aquatics. To me it's obvious that Bourdon had a much tighter budget on the Davidoff, even if Turin thinks he improved the construction. Well, I'll take the 1920 Orient Express over a 1980 New York subway anytime.

The supreme irony in all this is, that, according to Turin, Green Frch Tweed (5 stars) is actually better than Green Irish Tweed (4 stars).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

As has been recorded elsewhere, I am not exactly the biggest proponent of Creed out there.

Following the "Sick of Creed" thread a few days ago when someone suggested going to Creed with an open mind I did exactly that the other day at Selfridges.

As I had a clean 2.5ml atomiser bottle with me, I decanted a load of Erolfa into it and promised myself I would give it a fair crack. I did, I think's pretty for the short while it lives and then it dies, what a waste of money that would be.

I also said that I would really give GIT a fair crack of the whip too. And sorry, it really does smell like Cool Water. Yes, I agree that the drydown is marginally better and you have to get pretty nose-to-skin to notice the difference but not worth the difference in price - Cool Water lasts longer on the skin too.

Am I surprised that GIT and Cool Water were formulated by the same nose? No, not at all.

The search for a Creed that HDS likes continues... (actually Orginal Santal is not bad but I wouldn't fork out the money for it, particularly as my next purchase is Chevalier by D'Orsay which is far nicer and more rare out there).

GIT > Cool Water.
    The average nose can detect which smells more natural. It does not take a PhD in Chemistry to figure it out.

I used to wear Cool Water all the time, and only recently tried GIT (from a decant from the Perfumed Court). For me (read: on my skin), GIT doesn't smell anything like Cool Water. Here's my breakdown:

Scent - winner: GIT. Even though they don't smell anything alike (to me), GIT is smoother overall and gently caresses the nose rather than Cool Water, which firmly taps on the nostrils. Cool Water does have the edge here if you need a fresh scent that will cut through a crowd and isn't all citrus.

Sillage - winner: Cool Water. GIT wears slightly closer to the skin, but the sillage is definitely there, as GIT has been noticed on me from about 2-3 feet away (which is best, IMO). Cool Water can be detected (based on the same amount of sprays) from closer to 5-6 feet away. Cool Water wins in sillage because it has more of it.

Longevity - winner: GIT. Something about Creeds causes them to last ridiculously long on my skin. Cool Water seems to last longer for most people, but since this is my evaulation, GIT wins with 8-10 of noticeable scent, versus 5-6 hours of Cool Water.

Price - winner: Cool Water. No surprise here, when Cool Water is selling in TJ Maxx.

So there you have it - I tend to prefer the understated nature of GIT versus the more in-your-face sharpness of Cool Water, and the sillage is just right - I don't want everyone to smell me, just those closest around me.

If you're into the club scene, and think that Cool Water smells just like GIT, then by all means, buy a bottle and then get a "Green Frich Tweed" for display (if you are so inclined). I'll stick with the Creed.
    Last edited by baudilus; 30th May 2008 at 03:35 PM.

Blog Entries

no wonder they're both rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    no wonder they're both rubbish!
    But then again so is Kouros, one of Bourdon's other creations.

Only this time he copied Olivier Creed, not himself...

For me (read: on my skin), GIT doesn't smell anything like Cool Water.
    And to counter that, I can't believe anyone can say: 'GIT does not smell *anything* like Cool Water' with a straight face! It does, it's not a carbon copy, but they're definitely related.

Infinitely more than, say, Creed Himalaya and Cool Water or Millesime Imperial and Cool Water.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    And to counter that, I can't believe anyone can say: 'GIT does not smell *anything* like Cool Water' with a straight face! It does, it's not a carbon copy, but they're definitely related.

Infinitely more than, say, Creed Himalaya and Cool Water or Millesime Imperial and Cool Water.
    Firstly, I said "on my skin." Secondly, I meant it as such: I'm not reminded at all of Cool Water when I smell GIT.

Just because they smell the same to you doesn't mean they smell the same to everyone, and obviously body chemistry differs greatly.

The fact that they are both aquatic is where the similarity ends for me. I don't see why you feel the need to "counter" my statement.
    Last edited by baudilus; 30th May 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    Firstly, I said "on my skin." Secondly, I meant it as such: I'm not reminded at all of Cool Water when I smell GIT.

Just because they smell the same to you doesn't mean they smell the same to everyone, and obviously body chemistry differs greatly.

The fact that they are both aquatic is where the similarity ends for me. I don't see why you feel the need to "counter" my statement.
    I spray them in the air and they both smell very very similar.
    Perhaps the sense of smell differs dramatically among our species.

According to Luca Turin in his new guide, Pierre Bourdon created both GIT & Cool Water. In some way, this makes perfect sense and in another way, it's a perverse pun. Can a perfumer copy himself using cheaper ingredients for another house and get away with it? Thoughts?
    Nope - this is the real deal. Most "Noses" work for one of the big 6 fragrance companies - and are hired by firms to create their fragrances for them. It is not inconceivable that the person that made Cool Water and GIT also put fragrance in a dishwashing liquid, too!
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

They are not a carbon copy, but they are pretty close. They are close enough that if you were not familiar with Creed, and smelled someone wearing GIT, you may think they are wearing Cool Water, though. A friend of mine made that mistake when I was wearing my sample of GIT (he owns Cool Water).
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Spraying into the air is a pretty silly way to test something.

Quote Originally Posted by charlielu View Post
    I spray them in the air and they both smell very very similar.
    Perhaps the sense of smell differs dramatically among our species.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

My opinion. It's like doing a university course. If you think Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed are nearly the same, or that one is a copy of the other, then you are still an undergraduate.

If you think they are totally different, congratulations - you've graduated.

If you search back far enough, you will find my post saying that Green Irish Tweed wasn't worth buying as it was too similar to Cool Water. Now I own three bottles of GIT and can't for the life of me see any resemblance between the two.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    My opinion. It's like doing a university course. If you think Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed are nearly the same, or that one is a copy of the other, then you are still an undergraduate.

If you search back far enough, you will find my post saying that Green Irish Tweed wasn't worth buying as it was too similar to Cool Water. Now I own three bottles of GIT and can't for the life of me see any resemblance between the two.
    Renato
    Applause!!! the stadium is roaring!!

im lookin forward to creeds in transit..wht really turned me on and about this brand was whn i purchsed unforgivable, it was splendid and like most of you know is a better ..or let me say far better version of ST Dupont PH...now whn i put acrosss a thread comparing it with MI...our fellow Bners pointed out Creed was much more superior than the unforgivable...now, if thats true, i wont even blink while spending double the money on the Creed MI...
    Last edited by jenson; 30th May 2008 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Applause!!! the stadium is roaring!!

im lookin forward to creeds in arriving in transit..wht really turned me on and about this brand was whn i purchsed unforgivable, it was splendid and like most of you know is a better ..or let me say far better version of ST Dupont PH...now whn i put acrosss a thread comparing it with MI...our fellow Bners pointed out Creed was much more superior than the unforgivable...now, if thats true, i wont even blink while spending double the money on the Creed MI...
    The similarities between MI and Unforgivable are quite a bit more "stark" to me than the similarities between GIT and Cool Water.

Unforgivable smells like a well-done albeit more synthetic copy of MI. As you probably guessed, I prefer Millesime Imperial for its more natural and smooth texture, not to mention the 15 hours I get from it.

It is not worth it to say if they are similar or not. You ain't changing someone else's opinion and people get very sensitive about it.
    All I have to say is that GIT is 5% more annoying and Cool Water is 8% more cheap smelling. However that should be expected: GIT is 430% more expensive.

The best fragrance of the genre? Eau D New York - Bond. Not identical and therefore much better.
    Last edited by irish; 30th May 2008 at 07:06 PM.

Actually, I don't think so.

And honestly with no intention to insult, I think that if someone considers GIT and CW two absolutely seperate entities with no resemblance to each other, he might indeed have graduated. From the school of snobism. I wonder if the same would happen when GIT and CW were both designer frags, and not GIT being the bestseller of Creed.

They are definitely not exact copies and the further the drydown progresses, the less resemblance there is, but c'mon people, the similarities are striking.

As I said, there's no 'polite' way of putting this, so don't take it personally. We're just having entirely opposite opinions about a touchy (for some) subject.

Don't let others' opinions let you enjoy the frags that you own less than you should.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 30th May 2008 at 07:27 PM.

And honestly with no intention to insult, I think that if someone considers GIT and CW two absolutely seperate entities with no resemblance to each other, he might indeed have graduated. From the school of snobism. I wonder if the same would happen when GIT and CW were both designer frags, and not GIT being the bestseller of Creed.
    I did not take your comment to be insulting, and mine were not meant to be either.

Simply put - when I spray them on my skin, GIT and Cool Water bear only a passing resemblance to each other. Neither immediately calls to mind the other. I won't deny that they may share an accord, but to my nose (again, on my skin) it's only because they are both fresh and slightly aquatic (although neither smells much like the modern generic aquatics that seem to be ubiquitous).

Contrast this with MI and Unforgivable - when I first smelled Unforgivable, the first thing I though was "Creed at Macy's? Oh wait . . ."

Also, I prefer GIT based on the merits I outlined in my previous post - not because I feel that it's more exclusive or elitist - my wardrobe has a $16 bottle sitting on the top shelf sitting next to a $250 bottle. If it smells good and does well on my skin, I wear it.

For what it's worth, no one (who ever said anything) has ever thought that I was wearing Cool Water when I was wearing GIT.

EDIT: I should also add that I actually like Cool Water quite a bit.
    Last edited by baudilus; 30th May 2008 at 09:03 PM.

For what it's worth, no one (who ever said anything) has ever thought that I was wearing Cool Water when I was wearing GIT.
    Same here. My friend has been wearing Cool Water for 10 years and he never confused it with GIT when I wore it around him.

Mike dude, would that be because he just knows you wouldn't wear CW when you have a bottle of GIT at home?

Mike dude, would that be because he just knows you wouldn't wear CW when you have a bottle of GIT at home?
    point to be noted...everyone in BN knows mike wont be caught wihtout Creed.

Actually, I don't think so.

They are definitely not exact copies and the further the drydown progresses, the less resemblance there is, but c'mon people, the similarities are striking.

As I said, there's no 'polite' way of putting this, so don't take it personally. We're just having entirely opposite opinions about a touchy (for some) subject.

Don't let others' opinions let you enjoy the frags that you own less than you should.
    Nothing to do with snobbism.
    I paid A$75 for my 125ml bottle of Cool Water and A$83 for my 125ml bottle of Green Irish Tweed.
    Eight dollars doth not a snob make.

GIT is the richer scent. Cool Water is the longer lasting one, with better sillage.

In a side by side test on hands, the differences between Cool Water and GIT far outweigh any similarities.

We used to have a similar discussion here about Curve and GIT, where people swore black and blue that Curve was almost exactly the same as GIT.
    Renato

Where do you buy GIT for $83? I can't find it anywhere for less than $120, whereas Coolwater I can buy for $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Where do you buy GIT for $83? I can't find it anywhere for less than $120, whereas Coolwater I can buy for $50.
    Ebay.com

I'm wearing GIT today, by the way. It's on the verge of not being wearable for me (personal preference, I don't particulary like CW either) and definitely not my favourite 'fresh' Creed. That'll be SMW or if I want anonymity, Himalaya.

Props for longetivity and sillage btw, it's just the right amount. I wish SMW had the same.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 31st May 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Renato
    A word to the wise!

Look at Olivia Giacobetti and Dyptique Philosykos and L'Artisan Premier Figueir - they are about as close as GIT is to CW.
    ===

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I got three bottles from shoppersdirect.com.au/Foxy Perfume a few years back, who was an internet dealer based in Sydney who then moved to Brisbane, who then unfortunately closed down.
    I remember posting about that A$83 price here at the time, and a few others managed to snare bottles.
    Renato

I used to wear Cool Water all the time, and only recently tried GIT (from a decant from the Perfumed Court). For me (read: on my skin), GIT doesn't smell anything like Cool Water. Here's my breakdown:

Scent - winner: GIT. Even though they don't smell anything alike (to me), GIT is smoother overall and gently caresses the nose rather than Cool Water, which firmly taps on the nostrils. Cool Water does have the edge here if you need a fresh scent that will cut through a crowd and isn't all citrus.

Sillage - winner: Cool Water. GIT wears slightly closer to the skin, but the sillage is definitely there, as GIT has been noticed on me from about 2-3 feet away (which is best, IMO). Cool Water can be detected (based on the same amount of sprays) from closer to 5-6 feet away. Cool Water wins in sillage because it has more of it.

Longevity - winner: GIT. Something about Creeds causes them to last ridiculously long on my skin. Cool Water seems to last longer for most people, but since this is my evaulation, GIT wins with 8-10 of noticeable scent, versus 5-6 hours of Cool Water.

Price - winner: Cool Water. No surprise here, when Cool Water is selling in TJ Maxx.

So there you have it - I tend to prefer the understated nature of GIT versus the more in-your-face sharpness of Cool Water, and the sillage is just right - I don't want everyone to smell me, just those closest around me.

If you're into the club scene, and think that Cool Water smells just like GIT, then by all means, buy a bottle and then get a "Green Frich Tweed" for display (if you are so inclined). I'll stick with the Creed.
    Side to side test:

Top notes: They are two different beasts in the opening. After a couple of minutes there are definitely similarities. CW ist more balanced and mellow whereas GIT has a sharp undertone. There is more citrus in CW. GIT on the other hand has a more floral aspect.

My verdict: CW beats GIT. In the first few seconds CW is better by miles.

1.5 hours later: The differences seem to fade. They are very similar to my nose. I still find some edge in GIT that CW lacks. CW is slightly fresher. There's more sillage to CW. The wonderfull amberous drydown begins to get through in both of them.

My verdict: Almost a stalemate. Still like CW a little bit better though.
    Last edited by Ender; 1st June 2008 at 06:37 PM.

I have never smelled GIT, but I plan to find this since people are downing Cool Water. Cw in my opinion is a fragrance that everyone should have for a fun summery day!!

I guess next the women on here will say Youth Dew is freshing!!

Scent - winner: GIT.
    Exactly.

Longevity, sillage, and price are non-factors to me. Besides, Cool Water is like the McDonald's of fragrance: over 1 billion served. Creed is more exclusive, richer smelling, and makes me feel better when I wear it. Same reason I would rather wear a $75 Polo shirt over a similar looking $35 Gap shirt. The difference in price is negligible when judging how I feel while wearing it. The Polo shirt may only be 20% better at twice the price, however, it IS made better and that's what matters. The quality of GIT is miles ahead of CW and any novice can tell.
    Last edited by samplermike; 10th June 2008 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlielu View Post
    Ebay.com
    fakebay.fake? careful
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Side to side test:

Top notes: They are two different beasts in the opening. After a couple of minutes there are definitely similarities. CW ist more balanced and mellow whereas GIT has a sharp undertone. There is more citrus in CW. GIT on the other hand has a more floral aspect.

My verdict: CW beats GIT. In the first few seconds CW is better by miles.

1.5 hours later: The differences seem to fade. They are very similar to my nose. I still find some edge in GIT that CW lacks. CW is slightly fresher. There's more sillage to CW. The wonderfull amberous drydown begins to get through in both of them.

My verdict: Almost a stalemate. Still like CW a little bit better though.
    Give it a rest for a few days, then try doing the test again. There's no ambergris/Creed housenote in Cool Water.

Your view may well change.

If not, do the test in six months.

I know you may think my suggestion is silly, but please try it anyway.
    Cheers,
    Renato

There's no ambergris/Creed housenote in Cool Water.
    That, I agree with you.

Thanks to the ambergris, GIT does smell more luxurious and refined to me than CW. Just as Himalaya smells more luxurious to me than Paco Rabanne XS. However, both GIT and CW are quite similar overall, prompting some people who have tried both to opt for the cheaper option.

Also, some people might like the more simple scent as well, as things in life don't necessarily have to be complicated to enjoy.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 10th June 2008 at 11:20 AM.

so wait.... Oliver Creed the soo called master perfumer for Creed. didn't actually make GIT?? is this correct... if so what does he do all day sitting on his rich pompous ass???.... I really find this lucia turin guy annoying... and don't bash me for it.... I just seem to not like his rants and how he has enough power to sway an industry and open discussions here on bnotes.... we don't need ppl trying to milk us for money to tell us what our noses like....???
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    .... I really find this lucia turin guy annoying... and don't bash me for it.... I just seem to not like his rants and how he has enough power to sway an industry and open discussions here on bnotes.... we don't need ppl trying to milk us for money to tell us what our noses like....???
    psst..here....i think you should run,...cops are on their way

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Thanks to all who contributed. I had a 20 minute conversation with Erwin Creed today and quite enjoyed it. He sounded very down to earth and quite forthcoming on all the queries and speaks fluent flat English with a bit of a French accent. Below is a summary of what we talked about:

6. GIT/Bourdon issue. Bourdon and Olivier Creed are longtime friends and discuss perfumery ideas. GIT was wholly composed by Olivier Creed but there were discussions with Bourdon on certain elements like as in Himalaya for example. When Olivier Creed discussed with Bourdon an early draft of Himalaya, he suggested the addition of a gunpowder note which made it into the final composition. Many perfumers discuss and share ideas, not just these two. Erwin Creed has such a friendship with Romano Ricci and they bounce ideas off each other.
    I'm hearing both sides all the time. So, which is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I'm hearing both sides all the time. So, which is correct?
    well i guess it depnds on which side are you choose the option that you would like to gossip about...i'd like to go with ZZTops version

Too much has been made out of it. all the so called "experts" have made it point that they pound this company and make it sound as if they are above this brand or they are better perfumers themself. it's sad, really.

Would any of you enjoy GIT less or more after you found out the truth? I guess not

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

" Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Thanks to all who contributed. I had a 20 minute conversation with Erwin Creed today and quite enjoyed it. He sounded very down to earth and quite forthcoming on all the queries and speaks fluent flat English with a bit of a French accent. Below is a summary of what we talked about:

6. GIT/Bourdon issue. Bourdon and Olivier Creed are longtime friends and discuss perfumery ideas. GIT was wholly composed by Olivier Creed but there were discussions with Bourdon on certain elements like as in Himalaya for example. When Olivier Creed discussed with Bourdon an early draft of Himalaya, he suggested the addition of a gunpowder note which made it into the final composition. Many perfumers discuss and share ideas, not just these two. Erwin Creed has such a friendship with Romano Ricci and they bounce ideas off each other. "

So I"m guessing that Turin meant something else when he said that Bourdon made GIT and Cool Water??
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I'm with you, too.

Not jumping on a "Creed Hate" bandwagon but it feels better on me. I wore GIT on a fun and easy work day and found it to be detrimental to the fun mood. Perfumery is an abstract art and gnaws at you in odd ways I'd never understand.
    I'm with all of you. The one time I tried GIT I noticed a difference in a tiny bit of quality but to me it was Cool Water. I wore Cool Water for 5 years when it was in its prime beginnings in the early 90s and it was always good on me and to me. Again, women hug me and that would be it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 31st July 2008 at 01:29 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I'm with all of you. The one time I tried GIT I noticed a difference in a tiny bit of quality but to me it was Cool Water. I wore Cool Water for 5 years when it was in its prime beginnings in the early 90s and it was always good on me and to me. Again, women hug me and that would be it.
    i'll have to be with toughcool on this. essentially, CW worked for me in the early 90s till now. and i guess id rather get 4 bottles of CW and still have some spare change than splash on GIT... but the bottle and the whole novelty about creed really tempts me. its great that i have some assurance from you guys that i havent made a regrettable creed purchase, tho i wanna sample more creeds b4 i decide on one that is unique to the mainstream that could blow my socks off.... well break the bank at the same time. thanks for the assurance about ditching the GIT idea, whether or not the premise of this thread was meant to have such influence

yes, its true. CW=GIT, there is actually no difference, exactly same juice different bottle. matter of fact CW is a lot better than GIT. GIT sucks.

Cool Water is and always will be the poor man's GIT.

Green Irish Tweed: often imitated, never duplicated.
    Last edited by samplermike; 31st July 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Seems like this entire thread (save for the bits of actual information like the quote form O. Creed's interview) could have been easily replaced by a simple poll:

1. Why yes, GIT is superior to CW in so many ways and is worth every penny of the huge price premium!
    2. Oh noes! CW is exactly the same as GIT (or even better) and is way cheaper to boot!!1111
    3. Just wear whatever suits your taste and wallet

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Cool Water is and always will be the poor man's GIT
    I can't deny the "poor man's" part.....
    you never fail to drag me back into a state of dilemma.....
    yes i'm that easily influenced...and i hate myself for that
    As per my last PM to you, it was AA that "blew your socks off", so i guess i'd be making that my first creed purchase.
    its great to have some conflicting notions about creed, and samplemike along with Maz24 and jrd4t alone have comforting pics of niche frag collections to get me all excited about creed again...