Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NEW: Guerlain Homme

The scent features a mojito accord with lime and mint, a fresh floral accord with bergamot and a green woody accord with cedar and vetiver.
    The flacon design features a metal plate on the front of a square glass bottle. Guerlain called on Italian designer Pininfarina, known for automobile design, for the creation of the bottle.
    The range is positioned in line with Guerlain women’s fragrances and is 15% more expensive than Habit Rouge, with the EdP priced from €43 for 30ml to €73 for 80ml.
    Everything in august.

Default Re: NEW: Guerlain Homme

Mojito - mmmm!!! Can't wait! Derby is really Guerlain's only masculine scent featuring mint - won't count Herba Fresca. I'm really looking forward to this new fragrance...!

Sounds yummy. and bit of a departure for a Guerlain. I cant wait!

I sure hope this will be Guerlain's version of Sélection Verte and not a trendy sickly-synthetic mess.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

What is the European release date? I believe I read that North America would get in October or thereabouts.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I sure hope this will be Guerlain's version of Sélection Verte and not a trendy sickly-synthetic mess.
    Uhmmm.... mint and lime... big mojito... sounds defintely the big ADIOS to the typical french Guerlain taste, like "Guerlain est mort, vive Guerlain". I hope I'm wrong.

Exclamation Re: NEW: Guerlain Homme

Well, I posted days ago this lines in the community:

"I had the opportunity of seeing the commercial spot of "Guerlain Homme" and... well... it's totaly undefinible... it's very "selvatic" and one of the funniest and oddest spots in the history of perfumery. It will be very "shocking" for all Guerlain purists because it's extremely modern and provocative. It will be a marketing success. The bottle design is based on pure lines, very minimal and young. At the moment, I can't tell you more because I promised be confidential to my sources".

The commercial is a surprisingly "kitch" and funny modern interpretation of the Tarzan myth, far away from the Guerlain classical spirit.

You can see the bottle in: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/

Beau garçon.
    Last edited by Beau Garçon; 30th May 2008 at 02:42 PM.

Interesting to read at nowsmellthis about Loewe. A new Loewe Solo Intense which is lighter than the original. Nice and all, but where is the name from then?

The bottle, concept and name sounds like they were heavily Dior-inspired (if you know what I mean). I'm prepared to overlook that point, simply for the fact that it will come in the concentration that I was hoping for (EDP). But, then again, L'Instant Extreme was a load of cack...

Of course we need to smell this before concluding, but herbs and bergamot have always been in the Guerlain DNA. Smell for instance Eau de Guerlain, smell Derby. And it got vetiver - I say smell Coriolan, or Chamade pour Homme for that matter. Mixed with both flowers and cedar, this could be an extremely great and typical Guerlain! I can't wait to see what our new in-house Guerlain-man Thierry Wasser has made for us. (Only complaint so far: as a Guerlain-purist... I don't like that bottle - uff I'm too nostalgic for that. Give me Robert Granai, or sell it in a bee bottle to me. Gosh, I'm conservative.)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Uhmmm.... mint and lime... big mojito... sounds defintely the big ADIOS to the typical french Guerlain taste, like "Guerlain est mort, vive Guerlain". I hope I'm wrong.

I see your point Mr. Guerlain and I really hope I'm wrong. Nevertheless you have to admit that is aromatic herbs like rosemary are in the Guerlain DNA, bergamot is a citrus but a very velvety and aromatic one while mint and lime sound like a neon cutting edge, and kind of "exotic" and a bit "american appealing". That's all

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Of course we need to smell this before concluding, but herbs and bergamot have always been in the Guerlain DNA. Smell for instance Eau de Guerlain, smell Derby. And it got vetiver - I say smell Coriolan, or Chamade pour Homme for that matter. Mixed with both flowers and cedar, this could be an extremely great and typical Guerlain! I can't wait to see what our new in-house Guerlain-man Thierry Wasser has made for us. (Only complaint so far: as a Guerlain-purist... I don't like that bottle - uff I'm too nostalgic for that. Give me Robert Granai, or sell it in a bee bottle to me. Gosh, I'm conservative.)
    Ulrik, your enthusiasm is interesting as you have yet to own a Guerlain that hasn't been created by a member of the Guerlain family (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, why all the interest in Thierry Wasser?

Hehe - yes you are right about me not owning anything by the hands of a non-Guerlain family member... Well, these notes just peaked my interest - they're a kind of 'low key' which is typical for Guerlain. L'Instant was too loud for me. Magnifiscent: you are right that it may be a neon-frag... thought Habit Rouge contained lime and Derby mint. I just so much hope that it will be a 'calm' scent, like the rest of the Guerlains...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Ulrik, your enthusiasm is interesting as you have yet to own a Guerlain that hasn't been created by a member of the Guerlain family (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, why all the interest in Thierry Wasser?

Basenotes Institution

I don't like the bottle either. I think it's very Versace-inspired...not in a good way.

I am willing to look past this, if the juice smells good.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hehe - yes you are right about me not owning anything by the hands of a non-Guerlain family member... Well, these notes just peaked my interest - they're a kind of 'low key' which is typical for Guerlain. L'Instant was too loud for me. Magnifiscent: you are right that it may be a neon-frag... thought Habit Rouge contained lime and Derby mint. I just so much hope that it will be a 'calm' scent, like the rest of the Guerlains...
    The whole Mojito lime and mint thing has me worried. Virgin Island Water comes to mind, ugh!
    I'm totally oblivious to the lime in Habit Rouge. As far as the mint in Derby, I'll try it at BG again. I love your calling Guerlain's "calm" scents, I completely agree.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th May 2008 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't like the bottle either. I think it's very Versace-inspired...not in a good way.
    I'm with you, Mike. I like the idea of opaque bottles that keep out the light and keep the fragrance from being damaged, but you never really know how much is inside.

I certainly will sample it. We will have to see - I will just say that "change is the only constant" and we'll have to see that if Guerlain is going to take a chance, that it pays off.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The whole Mojito lime and mint thing has me worried. Virgin Island Water comes to mind, ugh!
    Do not forget Tommy Bahama Set Sails St. Barts too...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Sur la Plage

I will form an opinion after I smell it - at the mall...............
    Last edited by petruccijc; 31st May 2008 at 01:48 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Did you have to remind me?

Well I do like the bottle. If it were taller I guess it would be better.

I'm kind of split on the bottle. I like the bottle itself (though I'd like it to be taller), but I don't like the cap at all. Kind of how YSL's L'Homme bottle just never seems to look right.

The fragrance sounds good though and it'll be a blind buy as soon as it comes out.

will blind buy this too (mojito fan here )

mint, lime, green woods, vetiver....I am salivating already!

Sounds very modern, and its all good I say...I have had enough of those vanillic uber-rich Guerlains from 900 B.C....they have their place but not every Guerlain has to smell like powdery french coots.

Summers right around the corner and a Guerlain spin on a summer potion would be great..I am also glad that they aren't releasing yet another typical EDC .. I own like a gazillion different EDCs and the citrus-cedar/florals-vetiver formula can get tiresome after a while.

Its time to move on to an Apple iBook from an abacus.
    -

I'd get more excited if I actually thought I'd be able to find it when released.

I am not a fan of the bottle - it so un-Guerlain to me! Were is the romance - tradition....???

Reading the notes of the fragrance are not exciting me either......

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Sounds very modern, and its all good I say...I have had enough of those vanillic uber-rich Guerlains from 900 B.C....they have their place but not every Guerlain has to smell like powdery french coots.
    LOL
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

This is exciting. I don't want to wish the summer away at all.....and it looks like there will be things to look forward to in the fall.
    Gary

I will be looking forward to testing this. Finally, something I can get excited about!

I'm not in love with the bottle, but it's certainly intriguing to me. A must sample for sure.

I'm very interested in giving this a spin...

the notes and the bottle are attractive
    but what has become the new man fragrance JP Guerlain told he was working on last summer? is it this one ? but it seems that Guerlain Homme was created by Wasser...
    and it will be released in the EdP concentration only ? strange ...
    impatient to know more precise things

I'm a fan of a good number of Guerlain fragrances, and I usually go into trying a Guerlain with expectations for something quite enjoyable. I'll approach Guerlain Homme the same way once it comes out and we can find it somewhere for testing.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Exactly, he told Le Figaro http://www.lefigaro.fr/magazine/2007..._guerlain.html last October that he's preparing a new masculine fragrance. He couldn't possibly be speaking of the re-launching of Coriolan/L'Âme d'un Héros...? Oh please, Jean-Paul Guerlain, please make us a new poetic-nostalgic masculine fragrance and envelope it in something antique-looking, something from 900 BC (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    the notes and the bottle are attractive
    but what has become the new man fragrance JP Guerlain told he was working on last summer? is it this one ? but it seems that Guerlain Homme was created by Wasser...
    and it will be released in the EdP concentration only ? strange ...
    impatient to know more precise things

Quote Originally Posted by discovolante View Post
    Actually, this sounds more akin to the second Tommy Bahama, Very Cool, with notes of mint mojito, mandarin, ginger root, bergamot, water pepper, nutmeg, bleached woods and vetyver.

notes will likely smell less corny than they sound. btw, is that bottle brushed aluminum ?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bxbwbk View Post
    notes will likely smell less corny than they sound.
    I agree bxbwbk.

Remember everyone: the notes for Quand Vient La Pluie, the last scent Wasser did for Guerlain, were: heliotrope, violet, rosemary, sambac jasmine, and "un soupçon" of praline. If you take these notes on face value, it sounds kind of gross - but in fact, QVLP has gotten rave review here on BN and on other blogs. I haven't smelled it, because it's so expensive, but I don't think we can look at the notes and necessarily assume we're not going to like it.

I myself, get caught up in pre-release hysteria sometimes and I tend to comment negatively about notes lists in upcoming fragrances, but I have to remember that this is really a bad idea.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st June 2008 at 10:42 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I just realized that this will only be sold in Guerlain boutiques in August - then released in stores that carry Guerlain in September.

Source: here
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th June 2008 at 01:50 AM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Last edited by Beau Garçon; 26th June 2008 at 04:52 PM.

Nice! A new Derby ad! Derby's motto was: Barbare et très civilisé. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Garçon View Post

ck could do a better ad. booooooring and common

very boring, I was waiting for something better

Basenotes Institution

Here's a larger more detailed look at the bottle. What does the tag line underneath the bottle say?

-- Eckhart Tolle

What does the tag line underneath the bottle say?

According to Free Translation it means "For the animal that sleeps in you."

Yes, let's hope this is an 'animal' and not some half-ass attempt at 'taxidermy'.
    Last edited by graffham; 26th June 2008 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    According to Free Translation it means "For the animal that sleeps in you."
    Man, I'm still looking for a frag "For the animal that sleeps with you"
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I guess beastiality is the new "black." Gives new meaning to being an animal in bed.

Cheers,
    Al

Guerlain always chose the discrete path to cover all the sensuality behind...

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    very boring, I was waiting for something better

A link with pictures of the "GUERLAIN HOMME" launch party:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/buzzpar...in-homme-2008/

A good friend told me that the juice is totally un-Guerlain, in the style of "Soda" by Comme des garçons but richer.

Beau garçon
    Last edited by Beau Garçon; 27th June 2008 at 10:18 PM.

Basenotes Institution

A good friend told me that the juice is totally un-Guerlain, in the style of "Soda" by Comme des garçons but richer.

Beau garçon
    Wow - thanks Beau garcon. Talk about Guerlain overload!

That wall display of all of the Parisienne bottles, lit from behind is amazing. I also love the gold, metallic bee balloons hanging from the air.

I would've loved to have been at that event.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for the link, great pics! Wish I had been there, sigh... Derby was also very un-Guerlain, until Guerlain made it very Guerlain...

Beau garçon

Just saw the Guerlain Homme video - VERY nice! It's featuring a bunch of wild animals (lion, tiger, giraffe, elephant, monkey etc) drinking at a waterhole in some jungle - the camera rolls across the row of drinking animals, and suddenly one of them is a man (the model of the photo) - he looks up with the same green eyes as one the photo. Really makes me wanna get that frag - should I give in to the times and begin getting Guerlains from a non-family member...?

See a still photo from the video here

Mr.Guerlain, I enjoyed your new Guerlain website/blog. It's not as boring as the original LVMH Guerlain website.
    Judging by the pics there is some good chemistry between Jean Paul Guerlain and the new perfumer Thierry Wasser.
    I'm guessing Thierry first one for men will be a fresh one to atract more men to the Guerlain brand, like Jean Paul's first one for men was Vetiver.

I'm really looking forward to this one.
    Last edited by eric; 30th June 2008 at 04:33 PM.

the Celebration clip is very funny

another unGuerlain but so Guerlain juice i guess
    only one month to wait
    is there anyone else who smelled it ?

Basenotes Institution

Really makes me wanna get that frag - should I give in to the times and begin getting Guerlains from a non-family member...?
    Well of course you should Ulrik. Go for it!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi Eric - thanks so much for your nice words!

Your observation about the Guerlain-perfumer's first perfume as being fresh/green is really interesting and makes the new Guerlain Homme even more interesting - I mean, thinking about that parallel to Jean-Paul Guerlain's Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Mr.Guerlain, I enjoyed your new Guerlain website/blog. It's not as boring as the original LVMH Guerlain website.
    Judging by the pics there is some good chemistry between Jean Paul Guerlain and the new perfumer Thierry Wasser.
    I'm guessing Thierry first one for men will be a fresh one to atract more men to the Guerlain brand, like Jean Paul's first one for men was Vetiver.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Thumbs up Re: NEW: Guerlain Homme

It will be presented in Portugal, tomorrow 2nd July, but it will be in stores on September..I will own samples before it will be in stores ( I hope... )

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    I will own samples before it will be in stores ( I hope... )
    Now, that's the spirit!! You're a true Basenoter Roberto

Thumbs up Re: NEW: Guerlain Homme

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Now, that's the spirit!! You're a true Basenoter Roberto
    Thanks Eric, I think I am

Basenotes Institution

The model in the Guerlain Homme ad, is Renee Castrucci (Next Models) - got the info from the blog NowSmellThis.

Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st July 2008 at 10:51 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle