Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This is America! (or UK) Speak English! (Translate the name of your fav. EDT)

(That expression always makes me laugh)

This is inspired by SculptureOfSoul's thread.

It is simple, write the name of a fragrance in English.

Examples:

Hermes' Soil (dirt, earth) - Terre D'Hermes
    Gio's Water - AdG
    The air of the Moroccan Desert - LDDM
    Water of a Green Orange... this sounds funny Eau d'Orange Verte
    Steel Aluminum - Acier Aluminium
    Angelica Under the Rain. (A lovely name) - Angeliques Sous La Pluie
    Concentrated bitter orange - Bigarade Concentrée
    While Passing. (?) - En Passant
    Wood of Storm. Storm of woods (?) - Bois d'Orage
    The Water of Winter - L'Eau d'Hiver
    Mediterranean Lily - Lys Méditerranée
    Devastating (shocking) musk. (?) (I actually preffer the english name) - Musc Ravageur
    Black Spices - Noir Epices
    A (One) Rose - Une Rose
    Extraordinary vetiver - Vétiver Extraordinaire

Which name do you prefer?
    Now keep in mind I do not know french.
    Last edited by irish; 31st May 2008 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: This is America! (or UK) Speak English!

Diptyque - L'eau de L'eau - Water of water.

MPG - L'Eau de Turquie - Turkish Water

Post Thanks / Like

i didnt know L'eau meant water.... Leau de Issey?? water of Issey??? - eeeww....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: This is America! (or UK) Speak English! (Translate the name of your fav. EDT)

L'Heure Bleue - The Blue Hour
    Un Crime Exotique - An Exotic Crime
    Tubereuse Criminelle - Criminally (good) Tuberose

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: This is America! (or UK) Speak English! (Translate the name of your fav. EDT)

Passage D'enfer: The Way to hell?!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i didnt know L'eau meant water.... Leau de Issey?? water of Issey??? - eeeww....
    The funny coincidence you english speakers cannot understand is that in french
    Eau d'Issey (water of Issey or Issey's water) sounds like Odissée (Odissey)
    so I'd prefer the Odissey translation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Wood of Storm. Storm of woods (?)
    Is this Bois d'Orage? Because the way I was taught - it was more than a storm - it was a thunderstorm...

Thunderwood, Wood of Thunder or Thunderstorm Wood was how I was thinking of it.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 31st May 2008 at 10:35 AM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

Feminine Side of the Forest by Shiseido. Where they do what?
    Last edited by Twolf; 31st May 2008 at 10:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Eau isn't water, l'eau is the water. And the French 'de' doesn't always mean of. In connection with a location it means from. Like Acqua di Parma means water from Parma, Eau de Cologne is water from Cologne, meaning the German city Köln, which was then under the control of l'Empereur (Napoleon Bonaparte). It may sound absurd, but in perfumery the English term cologne (a cologne) and l'eau (un eau) mean exactly the same thing: quickly evaporating fragrant materials diluted in a mixture of alcohol and water. All earlier perfume materials were either a blend of oils or not liquid at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    Passage D'enfer: The Way to hell?!!
    Passage or gate to hell, yes. It's also a small, historic street in Paris, and part of the L'Artisan address, my friend. A lot of perfume names represent indeed a play on words, have second meanings, etc., and it takes more than basic knowledge to translate them into something similarly meaningful in any other language. With more French companies being integrated in the US and other economies of the world, I notice an increase of English names for French perfumes. I think it's funny that 'French Lover', as a name for a man's perfume was so badly accepted in the US that Malle had to re- label the US export bottles to now say 'Bois d'Orage' ! It must be one of the major jokes in perfume history !
    Last edited by narcus; 31st May 2008 at 12:11 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Cabochard = Pigheaded
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

LOL I like this thread.....Pigheaded hows that for a fragrance name...it actually might give us some insight into the undertones of the fragrance if we know the actual name.....What is devastating musk? Musc Ravageur?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    OOOOHHH! Now that is interesting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    LOL I like this thread.....Pigheaded hows that for a fragrance name...it actually might give us some insight into the undertones of the fragrance if we know the actual name.....What is devastating musk? Musc Ravageur?
    I am now added the french names... for some reason I thought it was obvious, but hey! you huys don't read minds.

And yes I think so. Again, I do not speak french

The Madness of Absynth - Fou D'Absinthe (Strictly speaking the translation is too literal as the name of the fragrance refers to the brainstorm created by drinking the drink.)

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. This is with the help of Google Language Tools and my brother's not-so-good French:
    The Shadow on the Water - L'Ombre dans L'Eau (or is it "in" the water?)
    Water of the Water - L'Eau de L'Eau (that name is very catchy IMO)

Also I've tried to translate Eau des Iles. Not sure if that translates to "Their Water" or to "Water Island" (as Google suggests). Anyone?
    Last edited by Mostapha; 1st June 2008 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know any French...so maybe someone can correct me if needed ~

At The Night (A La Nuit)
    A Wood of Vanilla (Un Bois Vanille)
    Green Violet (Verte Violette)
    Nights of Noho (Nuits de Noho)
    Violet of Wood (Violette du Bois)

I'm kinda' hoping I've got these wrong, and that the real translations have more class!?!?

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

L'Air de Rien (Miller Harris) = The Air of Nothing (or maybe An Air of Nothing)
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st June 2008 at 12:44 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. This is with the help of Google Language Tools and my brother's not-so-good French:
    The Shadow on the Water - L'Ombre dans L'Eau (or is it "in" the water?)
    Water of the Water - L'Eau de L'Eau (that name is very catchy IMO)

Also I've tried to translate Eau des Iles. Not sure if that translates to "Their Water" or to "Water Island" (as Google suggests). Anyone?
    Islands water sounds better
    and "L'Ombre dans l'eau" is "the shadow into the water"

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    The Madness of Absynth - Fou D'Absinthe (Strictly speaking the translation is too literal as the name of the fragrance refers to the brainstorm created by drinking the drink.)
    I think a better translation of Fou d'Absynth is "Crazy from Absynthe" or in more speakable terms "Fucked up on Absynthe"

The Madness of Absynthe would be "La Folie de l'Absynth"
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Actually according to freetranslation.com, Musc Ravageur translates to Destructive Musk. I was also looking at Acqua di Gio (Water of Gio), and I think Gio (or Gioi) is a town and in south-western Italy.

Some others:

Cuir Mauresque - Moorish Leather
    Douce Amère - Bitter Soft
    Fleurs de Citronnier - Flowers of Lemon Tree
    Fumerie Turque - Turkish opium den (LMAO!)

Post Thanks / Like

Gendarme = Police
    Santal Noble = Noble sandalwood???

Aprčs L'Ondée = After the Rain shower - gosh it's poetic...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: This is America! (or UK) Speak English! (Translate the name of your fav. EDT)

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    L'Eau isn't water, l'eau is the water. And the French 'de' doesn't always mean of. In connection with a location it means from. Like Acqua di Parma means water from Parma, Eau de Cologne is water from Cologne, meaning the German city Köln, which was then under the control of l'Empereur (Napoleon Bonaparte). It may sound absurd, but in perfumery the English term cologne (a cologne) and l'eau (un eau) mean exactly the same thing: quickly evaporating fragrant materials diluted in a mixture of alcohol and water. All earlier perfume materials were either a blend of oils or not liquid at all. Passage or gate to hell, yes. It's also a small, historic street in Paris, and part of the L'Artisan address, my friend. A lot of perfume names represent indeed a play on words, have second meanings, etc., and it takes more than basic knowledge to translate them into something similarly meaningful in any other language. With more French companies being integrated in the US and other economies of the world, I notice an increase of English names for French perfumes. I think it's funny that 'French Lover', as a name for a man's perfume was so badly accepted in the US that Malle had to re- label the US export bottles to now say 'Bois d'Orage' ! It must be one of the major jokes in perfume history !
    Very ineteresting! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    ... Acqua di Gio (Water of Gio), and I think Gio (or Gioi) is a town and in south-western Italy.
    Gio = short for Giorgio ( Armani) is more likely..
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd June 2008 at 12:14 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Just because I speak English doesn't mean I don't speak French.

And the true name - L'Eau D'Issey - sounds like "low DISSee."

The word "Odissey" sounds like "AH-diss-ee" to use English speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer that too!! was having a hard time thinkin my fav juice is actually Isseys water...eewwwww

Post Thanks / Like

L'Eau isn't water, l'eau is the water. And the French 'de' doesn't always mean of. In connection with a location it means from. Like Acqua di Parma means water from Parma, Eau de Cologne is water from Cologne, meaning the German city Köln, which was then under the control of l'Empereur (Napoleon Bonaparte). It may sound absurd, but in perfumery the English term cologne (a cologne) and l'eau (un eau) mean exactly the same thing: quickly evaporating fragrant materials diluted in a mixture of alcohol and water. All earlier perfume materials were either a blend of oils or not liquid at all.

ahhh...we have a literary guru amongst us... thanks for the head ups! i for one was havin a hard time spraying my beloved Issey!

Post Thanks / Like

L'Eau isn't water, l'eau is the water. And the French 'de' doesn't always mean of. In connection with a location it means from. Like Acqua di Parma means water from Parma, Eau de Cologne is water from Cologne, meaning the German city Köln, which was then under the control of l'Empereur (Napoleon Bonaparte).
    You're forgetting that "of" and "from" in this context, in English, also mean essentially the same thing. Consider the following:

Saul, of Tarsus
    Saul, from Tarsus

Both mean the same thing, with the former having more of a connotation that Saul originates from Tarsus.

Consequently, I am both "of" and "from" New York City.

English (and especially American English) is fairly unique in that there are almost always several ways to say the same thing, and for most words, there is another word that has the same or similar meaning.
    Last edited by baudilus; 2nd June 2008 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    ...English (and especially American English) is fairly unique in that there are almost always several ways to say the same thing, and for most words, there is another word that has the same or similar meaning.
    I know, but let's leave it open whether or not the same thing could be said about other languages in this world. There were games being played (further up) with George's wood and other people's water. That's what got me started. And don't let me explain what shoots through my mind when men volunteer where and how they 'spritz' themselves. The German original has quite a different meaning as well. .
    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    ahhh...we have a literary guru amongst us... thanks for the head ups! i for one was havin a hard time spraying my beloved Issey!
    Don't make me laugh. I admit to occasionally take more time to study historical details about perfume than learning 'fragrance pyramids' which are mostly fictitious anyway. Classical 'colognes' just happen to be a hobby.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd June 2008 at 06:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

These are good ones:-
    Dragon's Kiss (Le Baiser du Dragon)
    Theatrically Playful (Cabotine)
    A New Day Dawns (Un Jour se Leve)
    Left Bank (as of the Seine) Rive Gauche
    I'll Be Back (Je Reviens)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    ...I'll Be Back (Je Reviens)
    From a set of three, the affirmative promise: Je Reviens - Vers Toi - Dans La Nuit... And beautiful perfumes they were, too.
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd June 2008 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

From a set of three, the affirmative promise: Je Reviens - Vers Toi - Dans La Nuit... And beautiful perfumes they were, too.
    FWIW:

Je Reviens - I return
    Vers Toi - toward you
    Dans La Nuit - In the night.

Are these stalker frags?? :P

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, here's my list:

Senseless (or Unconscious) = Givenchy Insensé
    Blond Suede = Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    My Talons (or, loosely, In My Clutches) = Carven Ma Griffe (It can also mean "my paper clip" in French; not so romantic or funny!)
    Luminous Water = Parfums DelRae Eau Illuminée
    Wood of Paradise = Parfums DelRae Bois de Paradis
    The Palace "Never" = Etro Palais Jamais
    P
    ig-Headed = Grès Cabochard
    Wicked Wolf = L'Artisan Parfumeur Méchant Loup
    Disquieting Saffron = L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant
    She-Wolf = Serge Lutens Louve

Also, see my blog entry "Favorite Fragrance Names" for more curious facts and weird translations.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 2nd June 2008 at 10:12 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    OK, here's my list:
    My Talons (or, loosely, In My Clutches) = Carven Ma Griffe
    Wicked Wolf = L'Artisan Parfumeur Méchant Loup
    Hey Jaimie, where did you learn French? Your transalations are pretty accurate. The only thing I'd change is just minor - a better translation for Mechant Loup would be "Big Bad Wolf" beacause Le Mechant Loup is how you call the big bad wolf from the goldilocks story.

And Ma Griffe is more like "My Claw" - could be a talon, but the word for talon is the same as claw - and "ma" is singular - plural would be "Mes Griffes" (always at s at the end for plural like in english - except you never pronounce the s!)
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Hey Jaimie, where did you learn French? Your transalations are pretty accurate. The only thing I'd change is just minor - a better translation for Mechant Loup would be "Big Bad Wolf" beacause Le Mechant Loup is how you call the big bad wolf from the goldilocks story.

And Ma Griffe is more like "My Claw" - could be a talon, but the word for talon is the same as claw - and "ma" is singular - plural would be "Mes Griffes" (always at s at the end for plural like in english - except you never pronounce the s!)
    I used to teach French years ago; I did a doctoral program in French (but never took the Ph.D.). I'm trying to translate the sense rather than be too literal with the names, and make them more amusing where possible. "Big Bad Wolf" and "Wicked Wolf" are both names for the Goldilocks villain where I come from. I added to my post (probably after you saw it) that Ma Griffe can also mean "my paper clip" in French. I had forgotten that till I looked it up in the dictionary!

Et toi? T'es canadien français? (or should I say "canadzien")?
    Last edited by JaimeB; 2nd June 2008 at 10:20 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Just to jump in with two bits of info;

I do not know if this will sound correct in english, but Ma Griffe, is supposed to mean "My Mark, my signature so to speak", and Méchant Loup is supposed to be more of a "Naughty wolf" type of connotation.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Two of my favorites are easy;

Fête -Party
    Femme-Woman
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"Big Bad Wolf" and "Wicked Wolf" are both names for the Goldilocks villain where I come from.
    I just realized that the Big Bad Wolf was not in the story of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears," but rather in the "Little Red Riding Hood" fairy tale (Charles Perrault's "Le Petit chaperon rouge"). Hmm, how easily we go with the flow unthinkingly...
    Last edited by JaimeB; 3rd June 2008 at 02:12 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Just to jump in with two bits of info;

I do not know if this will sound correct in english, but Ma Griffe, is supposed to mean "My Mark, my signature so to speak", and Méchant Loup is supposed to be more of a "Naughty wolf" type of connotation.
    Ah, yes, the polysemous nature of many words... Griffe has more than one meaning in French, and while I'm sure Jean Carles, the perfumer, and Carven intended to leave their "mark" in this opus, to me it sounds more interesting the other way round: to wear the perfume in order to snag someone in your clutches... What was it the caterpillar told Alice in Wonderland? "When I use a word, it means exactly what I want it to mean..."
    Last edited by JaimeB; 3rd June 2008 at 02:27 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

i believe the english equivalent of what Musc Ravageur was supposed to mean is.....Ravaging Musk or more accurately Brooding Musk.

to me....Brooding Musk is a perfect description of MR.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ce Soir ou Jamais: Tonight or never
    Alchimie: Alchemy
    Piment et Chocolat: pepper & chocolate!
    Sniff and let sniff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Talons (or, loosely, In My Clutches) = Carven Ma Griffe (It can also mean "my paper clip" in French; not so romantic or funny!)
    In the contrary, I find it hilarious, but I work for Office Depot which has a paper-clip aisle. Who's going to send me a decant so I can wear this to work one day?

Thanks for the insight as always JaimeB. You're an asset to the community.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Artisan - Voleur de Roses: Thief of Roses (I've seen it called Stolen Rose as well)
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    i believe the english equivalent of what Musc Ravageur was supposed to mean is.....Ravaging Musk or more accurately Brooding Musk.

to me....Brooding Musk is a perfect description of MR.
    I did not know the words Ravaging and Brooding in English
    Last edited by irish; 3rd June 2008 at 03:11 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was just looking at some of the weird names of fragrances by État Libre d'Orange (which in itself means the Orange Free State, one of the states of the Republic of South Africa).

Antihero = Antihéros
    Carrion = Charogne
    Divine Child = Divin' Enfant (part of the name of a French Christmas carol, "Il est né le divin enfant," "the holy child is born")
    Palace Whore = Putain des Palaces
    Praise for the Traitor = Éloge du Traitre
    Vast Bellybutton = Nombril Immense
    Virgins and Bullfighters = Vierges et Toréros
    Christmas on the Balcony
    = Noël au Balcon (based on the curious French idiom "Il y a du monde au balcon" — literally, "The balcony is crowded," but meaning "She's stacked," as in full-breasted.
    And, of course, taking the proverbial cake:
    Gorgeous Secretions = Sécrétions Magnifiques

Last edited by JaimeB; 3rd June 2008 at 05:19 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW:

Je Reviens - I return
    Vers Toi - toward you
    Dans La Nuit - In the night.
    Are these stalker frags?? :P
    Would have had to be a rather slow female stalker. These were released by Worth in the thirties - in two year intervals. Only Je Reviens survived - in sad shape, like so many other legends.

I used to teach French years ago; I did a doctoral program in French (but never took the Ph.D.). I'm trying to translate the sense rather than be too literal with the names, and make them more amusing where possible. "Big Bad Wolf" and "Wicked Wolf" are both names for the Goldilocks villain where I come from. I added to my post (probably after you saw it) that Ma Griffe can also mean "my paper clip" in French. I had forgotten that till I looked it up in the dictionary!

Et toi? T'es canadien français? (or should I say "canadzien")?
    In that case you might know better than me! I'm not French Canadian, but I was born and raised here in Quebec, and grew up speaking english with my mother and french with my father, so my French is fluent. My accent is a bit more French from france since my father is Moroccan,

I just realized that "griffe" also means "label" as in the designer's label, or like his signature, so maybe that's it? I haven't smelled it so I don't know.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I just realized that the Big Bad Wolf was not in the story of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears," but rather in the "Little Red Riding Hood" fairy tale (Charles Perrault's "Le Petit chaperon rouge"). Hmm, how easily we go with the flow unthinkingly...
    Indeed! Those stories are a big blur to me now! Especially since Robot Chicken...
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Christmas on the Balcony [/B]= Noël au Balcon (based on the curious French idiom "Il y a du monde au balcon" — literally, "The balcony is crowded," but meaning "She's stacked," as in full-breasted.
    More accurately, "Il y a du monde au balcon" translates to "the whole world is on the balcony."

Given your idiomatic translation, "Noël au Balcon" takes on a whole new meaning eh? I'm no longer thinking of look at the Christmas lights in NYC from a high balcony, that's for sure.

More accurately, "Il y a du monde au balcon" translates to "the whole world is on the balcony."
    Actually, that's not correct - "du monde" just means "people" or "alot of people" depending on the context. "Le Monde" means "the world" and "le monde entier" means "the whole world"

But either way, I love that expression "y'a du monde au balcon" - and boobies too!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Actually, that's not correct - "du monde" just means "people" or "alot of people" depending on the context. "Le Monde" means "the world" and "le monde entier" means "the whole world"

But either way, I love that expression "y'a du monde au balcon" - and boobies too!
    I am aware of the differences, I was making a literal, word for word translation. "Tout le monde" technically (and idiomatically) means "everybody", but a literal translation would be "all the world."

I think only English has more idioms than French.

(The "whole" I added was for flair) ^_^