Code of Conduct

Default Your latest blind buy including thoughts!

I've just bought Rochas Lui by Rochas (2003) after reading many great reviews!

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122551.html

It's my first blind buy ever and I hope I will like it! But then again, can I go wrong on this frangrance for 24 Euro (inc. shipping and everything)?

So, what has been your latest blind buy and have you had any buyers remorse?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Your latest blind buy including thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSmell View Post
    I've just bought Rochas Lui by Rochas (2003) after reading many great reviews!

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122551.html

It's my first blind buy ever and I hope I will like it! But then again, can I go wrong on this frangrance for 24 Euro (inc. shipping and everything)?

So, what has been your latest blind buy and have you had any buyers remorse?
    You can go wrong with any frag. I absolutely never blind buy. They are like blind dates - seldom do they work favorably. I can't tell you how much money I've saved by sampling first. Lots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thebeck's words are wise. I've been mostly lucky.

But after blind buys of Michael for Men and two bottles of Creed: samples samples samples.

I won't even blind buy from houses I know and like.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Post Thanks / Like

Eau de Rochas Pour Homme 1991 (vintage formulation)

I've been wearing it for two days and I enjoy it quite a bit. A very nice departure from the typical synthetic summer scents widely available these days. Not the strongest, nor does it have the greatest sillage, just a very comfortable, versatile scent...

Thank you to scentemental. Without his help, I surely would have gotten the reformulated version!

Post Thanks / Like

Coco parfum ... the price was right and its absolutely amazing. Usually not a sweet fan, but this gorgeous blend of florals and candied fruit is divine. Its also really lit my parfum fire, what a wonderful idea, potency in a small package!

But don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of blinds go badly. Swapped recently for a bottle of Un Lys and it just didn't sit well with me, good thing I swapped it away almost as quickly!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I'd have to say that I'm glad I did a lot of blind buying. Now keep in mind that these were generally quite inexpensive, and I did a lot of research first. Why? Because I've found that my tastes have changed (more than once) over the course of several months. I've got a bunch of large bottles (at least 50 ml in almost all cases), so I can experiment as much as I want (which I do, including layering effects). However, I'd advise not buying a bunch at one time, unless you get such a great deal that it doesn't matter (or you are rich, and it doesn't matter - same thing). Get to know the frag very well, then try to determine what you like and don't like about it, so that it will help you with your next purchase. Also, consider trying different types of frags, so that you give yourself a "break" from your most liked kind. Otherwise, you might get bored with frags in general. For me, this is especially the case with sweet frags. I have a few I really like, but I don't like them all the time, and I think I'd get to the point that I'd have to stop using them, if all I had to choose from were the sweet ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, I've bought more blind than sampled. But for the most part they've been relatively inexpensive and sane choices. More good than bad

Chanel Antaeus (big win)
    Chanel Egoiste (boo!)
    Caron Yatagan (big win)
    Bandit (undecided)
    Unforgivable (meh)
    Ungaro III (okay)
    Rocabar (win)
    Bel Ami (win)
    Bay Rum (wins - three versions)

But for most of these I wasn't dropping tons of cash. Under $50 in each case, but that's where I draw the line.

I've been pondering whether I should buy Dior's Eau Fraiche for awhile. It has all the things I'm interested in, vintage women's scent that's become, over time, unisex; a great nose, Edmond Roudnitska; and the notes: lemons over moss. I couldn't find a tester anywhere, so I threw caution to the wind and started my web search.
    I thought to myself, Turin loves it, bront82 loves it, that's two good noses, I should love it, right? Blind buys are only fun when it's a bargain that I can't resist. Unfortunately, Dior's fragrances are rarely found with much of a discount. I found a decent price from imaginationperfumery.com (one of the online stores that I trust) and I had a 10% off certificate from them, so I took the plunge.
    It arrived today, and it's just amazing. A cross between Chanel pour Monsieur and Eau Savuage.
    Yeah!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st May 2008 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I've been pondering whether I should buy Dior's Eau Fraiche for awhile. It has all the things I'm interested in, vintage women's scent that's become, over time, unisex; a great nose, Edmond Roudnitska; and the notes: lemons over moss. I couldn't find a tester anywhere, so I threw caution to the wind and started my web search.
    I thought to myself, Turin loves it, bront82 loves it, that's two good noses, I should love it, right? Blind buys are only fun when it's a bargain that I can't resist. Unfortunately, Dior's fragrances are rarely found with much of a discount. I found a decent price from imaginationperfumery.com (one of the online stores that I trust) and I had a 10% off certificate from them, so I took the plunge.
    It arrived today, and it's just amazing. A cross between Chanel pour Monsieur and Eau Savuage.
    Yeah!
    I bought a large sample of Dior Diorella - and though it was marketed to women, I think it's a great scent for everyone. I have read that even Roudnitska thinks it's one of his best. I wouldn't have tired this without the suggestion of Moonfish, and while I only bought a large sample, it was one of the best samples I spent money on! Currently my mood matches leather - so this is a good choice! While not a blind buy in the sense that I bought a whole bottle, but even that large sample was expensive, but well worth it!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Yeah!
    thanks alot Ruggles.....you have just seriously spiked my curiousity.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Post Thanks / Like

This weeks blind buys

Unforgivable Black-mmmmmmmmmmmmm COCONUT, i love coconut. smells like MI with coconut.

A*Men Pure Coffee- better than the original

Post Thanks / Like

I took a big risk in buying L'Artisan Dzing! and L'Artisan Mechant Loup blind.. both from a fellow basenoter... and I LOVE them both... they've become 2 of my best purchases ever, blind or otherwise

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Your latest blind buy including thoughts!

I got Dzing! and Chypre Rouge. Dzing! was ok but just didn't make it. Chypre Rouge was nasty. Too sweet and strange and no longevity. To heck with blind buys. I like the sense of adventure but its just too expensive for me.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Designer Frags: Test them out at the department store, but if the price is ultra-compelling and the notes "seem" perfect -- then give it a shot, it's fun.

Niche Frags: Too expensive to blind buy. So get a sample before committing.

Buying blind is like agreeing to marry a mail-order bride before you've even met her. You're going to be committing to something you've only read about and seen pictures of. As for the question, my last good blind buys were Kyoto, Vettiveru, and Very Male.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    You can go wrong with any frag. I absolutely never blind buy. They are like blind dates - seldom do they work favorably. I can't tell you how much money I've saved by sampling first. Lots!
    Well, to be able to give it a complete try, I will need at least a sample of 2.5 ML. TPC sells them for $8...

Wouldn't I be crazy if I bought that sample instead of the retail product which is 50ML for $20?

Post Thanks / Like

Jean Desprez Versailles Pour Homme Didn´t like very much in the beginning as I found the top notes to be too much in your face and to much of and elderly gentleman´s frag. But lately I´ve really become to appreciate the "dirty" dry down. This one has also opened my eyes for this kind of fragrances and I bought a sample of Derby and then a bottle...

Donna Karan Chaos Good but nothing special. But I found it little money.
    Last edited by pelle; 31st May 2008 at 11:17 AM.

Well it's because of a comment from Trebor that I found this gem and I can only say: WOW!

It’s hard to believe that this is a modern designer fragrance. But then, there are elements of Lui that remind me somewhat of A*Men — rich, sweet patchouli and vanilla sans chocolate. What a beauty. Get it while it is still available.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Well it's because of a comment from Trebor that I found this gem and I can only say: WOW!

It’s hard to believe that this is a modern designer fragrance. But then, there are elements of Lui that remind me somewhat of A*Men — rich, sweet patchouli and vanilla sans chocolate. What a beauty. Get it while it is still available.
    Rochas Lui really is a fantastic fragrance that can be found quite inexpensively, so it is "fairly safe blind buy". If you did not like it, you could easily sell/swap it. But I am glad you are liking it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 1st June 2008 at 11:49 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Well, to be able to give it a complete try, I will need at least a sample of 2.5 ML. TPC sells them for $8...

Wouldn't I be crazy if I bought that sample instead of the retail product which is 50ML for $20?
    When samples become almost as expensive as a bottle, then a blind buy is wise. I have trouble finding anything I like under $120.00 except for Yatagan and a few others that don't cost much. I do lots of research, but no amount of research can tell you if you're going to like something.

Post Thanks / Like

Claiborne Sport. Got it for 35$ Aus for a big bottle on the recommendation that it smells similar to Nightflight. I probably picked the wrong time of the year to buy it (the weather is getting alot cooler at the moment) but its nice, if not overly spectacular. It smells alot like CK Eternity layered with Cool Water. One thing I dont like is about 8 hours after applying it an odd plastic-y note starts to come out... Its not horrible, but it smells completely different to the rest of the fragrance!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post

I've been wearing it for two days and I enjoy it quite a bit. A very nice departure from the typical synthetic summer scents widely available these days. Not the strongest, nor does it have the greatest sillage, just a very comfortable, versatile scent...

Thank you to scentemental. Without his help, I surely would have gotten the reformulated version!
    Straight out of my mouth, including the thanks to scentemental.

Just bought Eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose blind nad received Mitsouko pure perfume, which is breathtakingly good.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulgari Black tester

And at the moment I agree with Vibert:
    ,,I recently tried Black again, just for kicks, and now I have a different impression. I hardly notice the notorious burnt rubber note. I can't even smell the tea. All I pick up now is the most cloying - even choking - powdery vanilla I've experienced in years."
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post

This one pops up every now and then and I would like to try some myself (Rochas is a pretty good house overall, btw, very underestimated), but how do you know if it's the right formulation then? Please share. Thanks.
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st June 2008 at 04:01 PM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature