Code of Conduct

Cool Calling all Orange sucking Creedheads. Now!

Allright, so far this is what I've gathered from reading the Basenotes reviews:

1. Neroli Sauvage

--Overall pros: Rich wood citrus breathtaking drydown
    --Overall cons: Doesn't last mediocre citrus after the first initial blast it's just generic

2. Orange Spice

--Overall pros: Refreshing long lasting good sillage funky elegant warm weather scent.
    --Overall cons: Kourus' less perverted evil twin not as complex cold weather Christmas scent

3. Citrus Bigarrade

--Overall pros: Bold balls-to-the wall oranges combined smoothly in a fine citrus scent.
    --Overall cons: Fleeting citrus scent reminiscent of lemon pledge rather than oranges after the topnotes fade

4. Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse

--Overall pros: There's an orange note in this clever mix of citrus and this scent is fresh bright and long lasting
    --Overall cons: There's no longevity to this scent as it evaporates almost as soon as the top notes.

You guys are diriving me nuts! Must I order a lifetime supply of Clinique Happy?

Yet I have confidence in the honor of fellow Creedheads who, despite their admittedly subjective tastes--not to mention often mild embarassment that they are praising a Creed here in Basenotes--have not merely strong feelings about the juices they love, but a clarity of expression founded on logic and experience.

( OK. So skip the compliment. What I'm really trying to say is that it's a damn shame those bastards at e-bay stopped the sampler trade here. )

In any case, if you have reviewed--or perhaps recently sampled any or all of the 4 above mentioned frags, would you be so kind as to share more light on the subject? I'd be most grateful.

My thanks in advance,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 31st May 2008 at 10:08 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Calling all Orange sucking Creedheads. Now!

I personally don't think this is Creed's strongest suit. Orange Spice, however, is brilliant, indeed a gentlemanly version of Kouros and a definite must try.

Neroli sauvage is nice, but I don't find it refreshing enough - it subsides into a very branchy woody scent too quickly. There's no typical EdC-style neroli here btw. Anyway, I find that along these lines, the lemony Eau de Rochas pour homme (vintage!) is actually superior.

Zeste reminds me of Floris Cefiro and I don't like either. They have a strange raspy hairspray kind of note and come across to me as very florally feminine and also distincly non-refreshing. I got a big bottle of Eau de Patou for €25 and it does a floral citrus much better. As to proper grapefruit, Balle de Match wins game set and match.

To close on a positive note, Bois de Cedrat is wonderful, but I get similar citrus pleasure out of Guerlain Imperiale, the organic Eau de Verveine I bought for 8 bucks, or out of Monsieur Balmain, so I won't be buying a bottle of this if I don't win the lottery (but I don't play either). But if you want citrus medica you have it here as good as it gets.

Thinking in terms of summer, the default Creed to me seems to be Selection Verte, which is really unbeatably refreshing and a work of genius - no orange, though. That I will have a bottle of sooner or later. .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Blog Entries

I like the Neroli Sauvage and the Zeste - I think the opening top notes are amazingly clean and clear. For about 5-10 minutes.

On me, however, the drydown is nothing but Creed's signature ambery scent.

You can get samples from Parfums Raffy (free with a purchase of Creed or $35, but you have to call it in). Since you're in LA, a visit to Neiman Marcus might be good (Parfums Raffy is in SoCal, too, and has a B&Mstore, just not sure how close to LA). I don't know if Neiman give samples and their frag SAs can be pushy. Just in case they don't give samples: go with no frags on and sprtiz your wrists. Then walk around for about 1/2 hour to see.

Creed's citrus and "unisex" frags are all very short-lived on my skin. Their men's line that I've tried (GIT, Epicea, and Vetiver) are longer-lived and have more character in the drydown.
    Last edited by Hoos; 31st May 2008 at 01:19 PM.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Ancient bottle
    Citrus heaven
    Splash
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Is it just me, or are you really confused?:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post

4. Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse

--Overall pros: There's an orange note in this clever mix of citrus and this scent is fresh bright and long lasting
    --Overall cons: There's no longevity to this scent as it evaporates almost as soon as the top notes.

Mario

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Is it just me, or are you really confused?:-)
    Mario was demonstrating the range of opinion on BN by Basenoters and not giving his own opinion is how I read it and it definitely could be confusing for someone who hadn't experienced those frags for her/himself
    Last edited by kbe; 31st May 2008 at 04:44 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Orange Spice is really, really great. Light, but still complicated enough to keep your attention. Decent longevity. Orange, cloves, dirt.

Citrus Bigarrade is nice and tart (think vitamic C) with something a little cerealish - but really it lasts three seconds and a half. There's no point at all of getting this in my opinion, though it's fun to try in the store.

Neroli Sauvage has an interesting devellopment, but varies from bottle to bottle. Starts off Ambergissy-butterscotchy, and then turns into something more conventional - a light spicy neroli. But overall I don't find it all that interesting.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

As I've said elsewhere, the only scent that I know that doesn't last as long as Neroli Sauvage on me, is 4711. Although it runs at about neck and neck with Eau D'Orange Verte.

Four hours of Happy is better than half an hour of Neroli Sauvage.
    You really have to test it on your skin before buying it - unless the other two scents I mentioned do have some lasting power on you.
    Renato