Code of Conduct

Default list of top 10 Male Fragrances according to the book Perfume: The Guide

The top 10 are: in no particular order

Azzaro pour Homme
    Beyond Paradise Men
    Cool Water
    Derby
    Eau de Guerlain
    Habit Rouge
    New York
    Ormonde Man
    Pour Monsieur Chanel
    Timbuktu

Very surprising.
    Last edited by afraafra; 31st May 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Default Re: list of top 10 Male Fragrances according to the book Perfume: The Guide

You won't want to miss reading this thread as well - in case you haven't yet:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ght=luca+turin

Default Re: list of top 10 Male Fragrances according to the book Perfume: The Guide

I think that Dimitri nailed it. How can you really create a list that names what is the best? Smells are far too subjective so there can never be a list that holds weight with everyone.

And yes... Cool Water > GIT
    Last edited by EnvYuS; 31st May 2008 at 05:00 PM.

It looks like a top 10 list for High Schoolers...

And the only time Cool Water beats Green Irish Tweed is when the category reads "best bang for the buck".

You get what you pay for.
    Last edited by samplermike; 31st May 2008 at 05:56 PM.

Given that he's culled the top 10 list down from his list of 5 Star scents, some of which I think are pretty good, I'd have to say it's one of the lamer Top 10 lists I've seen here at Basenotes over the years.

I guess that when we rate scents for top 10 lists we through in another criterion - usefulness in interaction with females.

There is little point in smelling sleek and sophisticated wearing his 5 Star scents, when the guys wearing the loud and vulgar 1 and 2 Star scents get the girls.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 31st May 2008 at 06:00 PM.

I have not tried Eau de Guerlain or Timbuktu.

Of the eight fragrances I am familiar with:
    Three are in my top ten: Derby, New York and Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    Two more are in my 'honorable mention' list: Azzaro pour Homme and Ormonde Man.

I have not read the Guide and have only been halfheartedly following the arguments and discussions. I am somewhat surprised that I agree with their assessment on five out of eight fragrances. I thought it would be a much lower percentage.

Habit Rouge and Cool Water are very good but not stratospheric fragrances to me. I don't get along with Beyond Paradise Men at all, although I haven't given up on it entirely yet.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 31st May 2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Talking Re: list of top 10 Male Fragrances according to the book Perfume: The Guide

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    The top 10 are: in no particular order...

Actually, that looks like alphabetical order to me.

I disagree with this top 10 for sure. These type of lists mean nothing to me.....This list does not speak for me and that's what I don't like about these lists. I don't need some so called expert to speak for me either. By the way.....I speak for myself when I make a purchase.
    Gary

I can see someone having this as their 10 day rotation, since there's enough variety among these frags, but I've found that my tastes have constantly changed, and I really like having 30-40 frags to choose from, if not more (counting samples that I sometimes go back and try). So for me the big problem is that's there are two few. The major problem for a book that purports to be some sort of universal guide is that we are never told what the criteria are. For all we know, if he had sampled the frags at different times, his lists/reviews could be very different. That certainly would be the case with me. Also, suppose you really like a frag in every way but it has terrible longevity? There is just no way to create a universal list with fragrances, because not only is it a matter of taste, which is subjective, but not everyone has the same objective values, such as how important longevity or sillage is to him.

I have not tried Eau de Guerlain or Timbuktu.
    Timbuktu is one of my top ten. If you get a chance, try it.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Actually, that looks like alphabetical order to me.

Actually you are right, Excel sorted them alphabetically.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    You won't want to miss reading this thread as well - in case you haven't yet:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ght=luca+turin
    Thanks, that makes my post rather redundant!

Of thne Turin/Sanchez top ten list I agree with only two: Derby and New York. Those are great fragrances. Timbuktu and Pour Monsier would make my honorable mention top 50, but the others don't do it for me. Oh yes I've tried all of them and some I own, but greatness of an artwork like fragrance design really is a subjective determination. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is so true for fragrances.

IMO:
    Azzaro pour Homme - Yeah, okay.
    Beyond Paradise Men - An abomination.
    Cool Water - Another abomination.
    Derby - Lovely, period.
    Eau de Guerlain - Yes, but.......
    Habit Rouge - Yes, Indeed!
    New York - As good as the city it was named after.
    Ormonde Man - Still waiting to try this.
    Pour Monsieur Chanel - Perfection.
    Timbuktu - That weird African spice in it makes me gag. Give me Dzongka any day over this.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd June 2008 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks, that makes my post rather redundant!
    Not at all, afraafra! At the time the first thread was started, nobody had an idea on what basis this selection had been made. In the meantime the book has become available, and Rien has generously distributed a master index for it giving us a good survey of of the Guide's content. I now have a better idea of how selections have probably been made. Luca Turin himself has stated meanwhile that their assessments were 100% subjective. I think the top ten lists are (more of) a personal selection from the 87 perfumes that were deemed to deserve 5 stars - for reasons not always outlined (87 out of 1439 fragrances reviewed) .

Focusing on men's perfumes in particular: Twenty masculine perfumes got the 5-star rating. A clear definition of men's fragrances is missing, but there seems to be no doubt that the authors primarily used the product profile if there was one. We all know of course, that newer perfume brands often do not specify for whom their products have been designed, men, women, or both. In this context I remember that Eau de Guerlain used to be marketed to women (E du Coq, and Impériale to men). To find it in the top ten for men is a real surprise to me. I would have to go through the reviews of all the Malles, Lutens, L'Artisans, Etros, Commes, etc. to find out if Turin-Sanchez specified a gender for any unisex fragrances. Unisex fragrances are not included in the top ten recommendations for either gender. Even though I wear what I like, such designations still matter to me, if for no other reason than to understand what the perfumer's message may have been. There are only twenty masculine fragrances in the top group of 87, plus 10 feminine fragrances which Turin-Sanchez recommend to men.

Five star perfumes outside the top ten:
    Dior Homme
    Eau Sauvage
    Grey Flannel
    Insensé
    Kouros
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Le Troisieme Homme
    Pour un Homme
    Yatagan
    Yohji Homme

We might add Jules**** which is listed as one of the best masculines for women. It could well be a candidate in my top ten also if there was space. I count some Villoresi and Montale perfumes to my top favorites, as well as some of SMN which Turin-Sanchez either ignored completely or preferred not to rate (Knize Ten).

Best Feminines for Men:
    Apres l'Ondee
    Bandit
    Diorella
    Dzing!
    Jicky
    Mitsouko
    Tommy Girl
    Arpege

If I look at all 31 recommendations made the picture looks quite good. Most of my personal favorites are in the 4-star-group, though. But what's a difference of one star only between two individuals? Almost agreement !
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd June 2008 at 07:09 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Best Feminines for Men:
    Apres l'Ondee: I agree, the anise is nice.
    Bandit: I've tried, god knows, I've tried. Way too Grand Dame, in black leather, for me.
    Diorella: I prefer Dior's Eau Delicate, but I agree this one is perfect.
    Dzing!: Forgive me but, this one was Unisex to start with.
    Jicky: Probably my numero uno of all time. Wasn't this originally a men's fragrance?
    Mitsouko: I find this one very difficult to wear, perhaps to a painfully chic formal occasion? For a wearable women's chypre, try Y.
    Tommy Girl: No, no, no, no. NO! Why would I go out of my way to smell like a high school girl on a budget?
    1000: Yes, if the man happens to be Dame Edna.
    Arpege: Lovely, it melts down to vetiver. The ultimate Getrude Stein fragrance.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd June 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Best Feminines for Men:
    Apres l'Ondee: I agree, the anise is nice.
    Bandit: I've tried, god knows, I've tried. Way too Grand Dame, in black leather, for me.
    Diorella: I prefer Dior's Eau Delicate, but I agree this one is perfect.
    Dzing!: Forgive me but, this one was Unisex to start with.
    Jicky: Probably my numero uno of all time. Wasn't this originally a men's fragrance?
    Mitsouko: I find this one very difficult to wear, perhaps to a painfully chic formal occasion? For a wearable women's chypre, try Y.
    Tommy Girl: No, no, no, no. NO! Why would I go out of my way to smell like a high school girl on a budget?
    1000: Yes, if the man happens to be Dame Edna.
    Arpege: Lovely, it melts down to vetiver. The ultimate Getrude Stein fragrance.

Very well put!, what else would YOU suggest as wearable "female"perfumes for men?

Very well put!, what else would YOU suggest as wearable "female"perfumes for men?
    My list?
    YSL's Y, green chypre
    Rochas Femme, Cumin drenched oriental
    Hermes 24, Fuabourg eau Delicate, woody jasmine
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew Bath Oil, Pre-Lutens, syrupy oriental
    Estee Lauder, Azuree Soleil, Suntan oil, instant beach
    Gres Cabaret, Woody rose
    Guerlain Terra Cotta, Violets and wood skin scent
    Agent Provocateur Strip, Sexy amber

Best Feminines for Men:
    ...Dzing!: Forgive me but, this one was Unisex to start with.
    Dzing as per Osmoz' directory: feminine. They try and stick to the producer's frag profiles. L'Artisan's website, however, leaves you guessing.
    Jicky: A romantic myth surrounds Jicky. There was an official dedication to a lady, but there has also been a story about a beautiful young man too. But the charm of this young lad, and the fragrance itself have become a little pale in all those years, me thinks.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd June 2008 at 07:00 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I totally agree with Derby, Timbuktu, and Ormonde Jayne Man 3 out of 10 ain't bad.

Azzaro pour Homme - OK - Not bad
    Beyond Paradise Men - I own it and like it very much - Top 10 - no way
    Cool Water - Again, I like it, but..................
    Derby - Overated IMO
    Eau de Guerlain - Watered down short lived nice frag doesn't qualify for top ten
    Habit Rouge - We agree on one
    New York - I own and enjoy from time to time - That's it, nothing more, nothing less
    Ormonde Man - This stinks to high heaven - not wearable
    Pour Monsieur Chanel - This could be a top 10, but Egoiste Concentree is way better
    Timbuktu - I don't get this, bought more samples because of LT, but it still is a no nothing for me.

Very surprising.
    I don't think anyone has enjoyed LT's book more than I have, but his top ten list sucks. Let me give mine:
    Not the end all, but certainly improved.

Yatagan
    MKK
    Duro
    Czech & Speake #88
    Black Aoud
    Egoiste Concentree
    New Haarlem
    Habit Rouge
    Eau Noire
    Straight to Heaven
    Last edited by thebeck; 15th June 2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: add verbage

I would tweak it as thus, without trying to stick too much to my personal favorites:

Azzaro pour Homme - ok for its historical significance, though also reformulated downward

Beyond Paradise Men - don't know all that many modern-type frags well, but I would choose Terre d'Hermes as embodying that style most succesfully.

Cool Water - no, GIT , credit where credit is due

Derby - very good, but not as great as KNIZE TEN (over my personal fave REL)

Eau de Guerlain - putting caraway in an EdC is not enough. Acqua di Parma Colonia should be here, just for putting EdC back on the map in such grand style. Or Farina Gegenüber, and if it need be a Guerlain, Impériale.

Habit Rouge - agreed

New York - good choice, but there are some other greats, too.

Ormonde Man - too early for me to tell. Very good, yes, but top 10?

Pour Monsieur Chanel - agreed

Timbuktu - the one I haven't tried.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Shalimar especially in the parfum
    Chanel Cuir de Russie and Bois des Isles
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Beyond Paradise Men - An abomination.
    That´s it!
    LT says: "What is special about BP Men is the way it works more like music than like fragrances."
    This might be, but I don´t like this kind of cheap and cheesy pop-music... I´ve heard it a million times, it´s enough!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Cool Water - no, GIT , credit where credit is due
    According to LT "Green Irish Tweed was composed in 1985 by Pierre Bourdon, who three years later rehashed a similar structure in the hugely succesful and endlessly imitated Cool Water."
    ???????
    Both made by Pierre Bourdon, is it true? No rip-off, no imitation, just a facelift?

Aimé Guerlain (the composer of Jicky) is reported to have said that he wanted to create,

"an audacious, vigorous, and quasi revolutionary perfume: the perfume of an amazon, difficult to decipher, of which you wouldn't be really able to tell whether it was meant to be for a man or a woman."

IMO, the question if Jicky is rather a female or a male fragrance is of no earthly use. Jicky was made for all of us!

If you find Mitsouko difficult to wear, try the new reformulated version or try Acqua di Parma´s Profumo! But I agree Y is a wearable woman´s chypre, too!

It is surprsing how many scents deemed for the male market are worn by women as well. A girlfriend of mine wears only 'Guerlain' Vetiver while I prefer the more complex Vetiver of 'Creed' My all time favourite list of scents is as follows:

1- Gres Pour Homme (not Homme De Gres!)
    2- Vetiver (Creed)
    3- Terre (Hermes)
    4- Equipage (Hermes)
    5- Habit Rouge (Guerlain)
    6- Eau Sauvage (Guerlain)

I do not own this book, but I was looking at the index for the book which is available as 'preview pages' on Amazon, and I for one do not think he is very credible when he gives 5 stars to a horrendous synthetic mess of a fragrance like Beyond Paradise for men, and he gives the sublime Acier Aluminium and Bdp a mere 3 stars! Not that I really care what he has to say at any rate.

I hate to shake things up and get into a GIT argument but I wore GIT from Niemans one day. It was just like CW, no matter what people claim, through the drydown. It lasted 3 hours. Cool Water gave me the same scent and feeling and lasted about 8 hours. People can say that it is inferior, synthetic, etc but in my book, you are spending $200 more on nothing but maybe a certain note difference. He nailed this one and women love it....I discovered even in the late 30s....women with class too.. Just my opinion. It's all good, not matter which one you like.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 7th September 2008 at 02:21 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Interesting thoughts.

What surprises me about Turin's list is that Azzaro pour Homme is on it. Not because I do not think it should be up there, but in his book The Secret of Scent, I am sure Turin said it had a note that smelled like washroom sh*t . That is the term he uses.

Either way, I still respect him and am pleased that he and Tania Sanchez put out the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    What surprises me about Turin's list is that Azzaro pour Homme is on it. Not because I do not think it should be up there, but in his book The Secret of Scent, I am sure Turin said it had a note that smelled like washroom sh*t . That is the term he uses.
    That's what we sometimes get from either reading too fast or storing the wrong bits in our memory.

Luca Turin, original text bits from
    The Secret of Scent, Chapter 'Royal Fern'

Fougère Royale, page 22 : "The Fougère dynasty has spawned vast numbers of familiar fragrances, almost all masculine, notably Brut, Azzaro Homme and the elusive Canoé. All are angular, soapy and quite anabashed.......It does smell of coumarin, to be sure, but it is also fresh, clean, austere, almost bitter. This is the smell of scrubbed bathrooms, suggestive of black and white tiles, clean, slightly damp towels, a freshly shaven daddy. But wait! There's a funny thing in there, something not altogether pleasant. It's a touch of natural civet, stuff that comes from the rear end of an Asian cat and smells like it does. Suddenly I understand: we're in a bathroom! The idea here is shit, and what's more, someone else's shit., that faint shock of slightly repellent intimacy you get when you go to the loo at someone else's dinner party and smell the air. Small wonder Fougère Royale was such a success. At a distance, he who wears it is everyone's favorite son-in-law; up close, a bit of an animal..."
    Last edited by narcus; 8th September 2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: outlay

narcus , thanks for the correction. I did read the book quite fast as I was rushing through it as well as Chandler Burr's book about Turin and another long book. You're right, I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I hate to shake things up and get into a GIT argument but I wore GIT from Niemans one day. It was just like CW, no matter what people claim, through the drydown. It lasted 3 hours. Cool Water gave me the same scent and feeling and lasted about 8 hours. People can say that it is inferior, synthetic, etc but in my book, you are spending $200 more on nothing but maybe a certain note difference. He nailed this one and women love it....I discovered even in the late 30s....women with class too.. Just my opinion. It's all good, not matter which one you like.
    I completely agree. There are no differences between the two other than the price gap. However, why are you looking for a bottle then

GIT and Cool Water are like a real Rolex and a good quality fake Rolex made in China, both work, both last but it is the way it makes you feel that is important I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    narcus , thanks for the correction. I did read the book quite fast as I was rushing through it as well as Chandler Burr's book about Turin and another long book. You're right, I stand corrected.
    No problem, Surfacing! It happens to all of us . My point here was: Turin has not only described the nasty part of civet. But it's the shit that will be remembered and not everybody's favorite son-in-law. I think Burr too remembers mainly the darker comments Turin has made. And he's the one who wrote The Emperor, we only read it .
    Last edited by narcus; 9th September 2008 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    I completely agree. There are no differences between the two other than the price gap. However, why are you looking for a bottle then
    Actually I need to change that because the side by side test was recently and I own Cool Water that I got for cheap off of ebay....$20 for a 4.2 tester. So I'm quite happy. I'm more interested in otgher Creeds now if I go that direction.

GIT and Cool Water are like a real Rolex and a good quality fake Rolex made in China, both work, both last but it is the way it makes you feel that is important I think.
    So right and if they both smell the same I'd feel ten times better with $200 in my pocket to grab other niche or designer fragrances while smelling just as good..lol.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 9th September 2008 at 12:54 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Last edited by Descartes; 23rd January 2012 at 10:44 PM.

Totally agree... My top is Creed SMW followed by Acier Aluminum, TF Noir de Noir etc and I don´t need to convince no one of that, is just my nose who loves that stuff and that list could change simply with my mood or the weather!!

I don't about them being my "top" fragrances, but five out of the ten I do really like:

Derby
    Eau de Guerlain
    Habit Rouge
    New York
    Chanel pour Monsieur

I like eight out of ten in the list.

Haven't tried Ormonde Man yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    No way, no waaaaaay!!!
    Two totally different fragrances!
    Cool water smells like some dish detergent.
    GIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cool Water

Azzaro pour Homme
    Beyond Paradise Men
    Cool Water
    Derby
    Eau de Guerlain
    Habit Rouge
    New York
    Ormonde Man
    Pour Monsieur Chanel
    Timbuktu

Very surprising.
    Maybe Timbuktu in top 20, nothing else for me

Enjoy
    Azzaro pour Homme
    Cool Water
    Habit Rouge

Don't enjoy
    Beyond Paradise Men

Missing out on the rest, apparently.

Highly subjective list, yet some listed live up to their name, especially Azzaro pour Homme, Chanel pour Monseiur, Eau de Guerlain and Habit Rouge