Code of Conduct

Default Green Holy Grail

Bel Respiro by Chanel. Yessum.

I love it. I received a set of all the Les Exclusifs samples (bar 31 Rue Cambon and Sycomore, as they're waiting on more of those) and 28 La Pausa, being an Iris scent, is the first one I went for. But, then I was flicking through the book (FANTASTIC book, it's hardback and has thick card pages) Bel Respiro was described as smelling of 'crushed leaves' and the 'French Garrigue' I had to try it out.

I dabbed some on, at first, a beautiful aroma of perfectly blended bitter greenery, with a fresh, almost revitalising edge. It did smell like crushed leaves, but not in an ultra realistic way, but more so in a impressionistic way, where all the individual facets were present, but wonderfully blended together. It started turning more herbal after about an hour, with the notes rosemary and thyme becoming more evident.

After about two hours, there was a complete turn, and the dry, bitter edge began to fade, revealing a slightly smoldering (green floral wise, that is) effect with faint tea notes and a hint of leather. This then continues to evolve for an hour or two, with both facets getting stronger, but the green floral still in the lead. After about six hours, you're left with a whisper of leather a slight green smell, which blends into a slightly green skin scent, like the kind of whiffs you get after you've been sitting/lying on grass.

It truly is spectacular. Just herbal enough to not be too green, just green enough to not be too herbal.

Who's tried it, and if you have, what are your opinions on it?

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Green Holy Grail

I tried Bel Respiro just a few weeks ago, and I find it quite appealing too. It struck me as a softer, greener cousin to No. 19. I probably ought to place a review of it in the directory...

It was my favorite of the Exclusifs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    It was my favorite of the Exclusifs, too.
    Hehe, i'm not sure about that, Bel Respiro is the only one i've sampled. I'm looking forward to Coromandel, 28 La Pausa, Sycomore (when I get it!) and No 18!

Basenotes Institution

It's the only one of the Les Exclusif's I like also.

I wrote about it a while ago here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=194776
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

It sounds very nice - particularly the tea note which I'm beginning to love.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I love Bel Respiro. It's green at first, then it goes to a powdery leathery scent, like BO. An intimate scent
    and associates with a lost time.
    I feel the same as iMaverick wrote in the directory: ,,making me think of how masculine this scent is with a little of the 50s and 60s bad boy thrown in like Fellini's La Dolce Vita".
    LT was right that Bel Respiro would be nice on a man.
    Bel Respiro lasts very well. Close to the skin, but you can smell it all the day.

Gardenia is a trash white floral, No22 is very aldehydic, Rue Cambon - too feminine, too loud, some kind of mix of Miss Dior Cherie and Allure Sensuelle, Coromandel - I prefer Prada for women, which is fresher. I get a headache from Coromandel. It has nothing in common with Borneo1834.

28 La Pausa - the most ephemeral, for the sophistacated girls who wear dresses. Summer, heat, white marble and echo of roses.

Bois des Iles is nice but I prefer Cuir de Russie. I like this reformulated version. Leather in the top notes, then it goes to chanelish drydown. Luxurious. Thinking to buy this one (or Tuscan Leather)

No 18. Diamonds or frozen dills, some sparkling drink, very edgy at first. Then - musky ambrette.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 1st June 2008 at 05:10 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hehe, i'm not sure about that, Bel Respiro is the only one i've sampled. I'm looking forward to Coromandel, 28 La Pausa, Sycomore (when I get it!) and No 18!
    Hey Vivek with the exquisite taste. Please let me know your thoughts on Coromandel. My Wife and I share a bottle. We've been sharing for over a year now and we both never tire of it. I thinks its the best of the six by a long shot. Best lasting power by a long shot too.

Side bar - Vetiver Babylone was nice, but the longevity was 30 minutes max for me. Going for a bottle of Aoud Flowers for Father's Day.

Basenotes Institution

Vivek - I'm assuming you've smelled Calamus by Comme des Garcons? To me it has many similarities to Bel Respiro.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ginseng Leaf Essential Oil

Bel Respiro is just too meek. Maybe in eau d'parfum it would work. try Ormonde Jayne Man.....NOW THAT"S GREEN! with amazing sillage to boot.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I wrote a review of it recently; you could check that out. My green favorite flips around from Nino Cerruti to Gucci Nobile, to other things; Bel Respiro is getting there.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca