Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Diptyque's Trois and Virgilio?

I got a bunch of Diptyque samples last week, and I just found out that two of the scents, Eau Trois and Virgilio, are on the chopping block.

Having tried both, I find myself in a tricky position. I'm intrigued by both Trois and Virgilio. I especially liked Trois the first time I tried it (though a little less the second time). These are both the sorts of perfume the samples of which, under normal circumstances, I'd set aside and return to in a few weeks and reconsider.

But with Trois and Virgilio about to be discontinued, I feel like I might need to make a quicker decision about whether or not to buy a bottle of one or the other.

I was wondering about my fellow Basenoters experiences with these two. I had some concerns about the longevity of both. And I wonder about their wearability as well, especially Virgilio.

How many of you have bottles of either of these on your shelves? How often do you find yourself wearing either of them?

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Thoughts on Diptyque's Trois and Virgilio?

I personally enjoy Virgilio very much and actually find it far more interesting and easier to wear than L'Eau Trois. I also have extreme longevity issues with L'Eau Trois, to the extent that I can't detect it on my skin at all after 30 minutes. I blame anosmia, not the scent itself. I ran out and bought a full bottle of Virgilio as soon as I heard it was to be discontinued, and I don't regret the purchas one bit.

For more detailed thoughts on both scents see my reviews in the Basenotes Directory.

I can't remember Virgilio to save my life, but Trois is such a favorite that I got a backup bottle. My husband, on the other hand, has some serious myrrh issues, and some days can't stand the fragrance.
    On my skin it lasts the entire day.

Virgilio discontinued? Too bad, the only green herbal that I've experienced that uses its raw, herbal richness as a launch pad to soar off into animalistic territory. A heady green that seems to be loaded with civet, but it's not. That said, I'm still working on my 50 ml. bottle for over a year now. Wearable, yes, but only for those right moments, vacations by the sea, perhaps.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st June 2008 at 11:00 AM.

Having worn Virgilio only once, I completely agree about the illusion of civet, Ruggles.

I also meant to add that all these discontinuations from Diptyque are a real shame. My sense had been that this was a house committed to keeping its perfumes on the market. I guess this is the price of corporate buy-outs. I'm at least happy that, in his fairly positive review of Eau des Hespérides, Chandler Burr didn't mention that Diptyque is discontinuing a bunch of scents. No need to increase the rush for the last bottles!

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    I'm at least happy that, in his fairly positive review of Eau des Hespérides, Chandler Burr didn't mention that Diptyque is discontinuing a bunch of scents. No need to increase the rush for the last bottles!
    No, and thank God nobody in the world cares to read this forum.
    Last edited by Domingo; 1st June 2008 at 07:41 AM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Virgilio discontinued?
    Yes.

In addition, L’Autre, Eau d’Elide, Opone, and L’Eau Trois are being discontinued also.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

Virgilio discontinued? I personally see no big loss there.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Virgilio discontinued? I personally see no big loss there.....
    It's a huge loss for me. It's the only Diptyque that I'm willing to buy a full bottle. Plus, I know its been a slow seller for Diptyque, but with a 4 star rating from Tania Sanchez sales may pick up with more people curious to try it. I would way and see if the review helps sales before I discontinued Virgilio. I discovered Virgilio from the review and got a sample and loved it so much I bought a bottle.

The way the herbs mix in Virgilio give it a minty flavor, but a long lasting mint. A true mint is always short lived, but with Virgilio using herbs to get that mint effect, I now can enjoy a refreshing one for along time.
    A refeshing minty herbal flower garden is what I get. Yes, I will mourn the loss of Virgilio.

Let there be an end to the mourning! I posted this on the L'eau Trois thread, too: Virgilio (and L'eau Trois) can be gotten in the USA from either of the Diptyque boutiques in Manhattan: Bleecker Street (212.242.2333) or Madison Avenue (212.879.3330) and probably in any other major city that has Diptyque boutiques.

Never had a doubt.

Nice German Shepherd, Off-Scenter!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Never had a doubt.
    It appears that some others did, though, so glad to be able to supply the information