Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SotW May 24th-30th 2008

Welcome to Week 13 of SotW. This week has some interesting data to chew on which we will do right after the raw data. 984 posts this week, for a new all-time high, up 53 from last week. 614 different scents mentioned up 57 from week 12 and another new high. 434 scents mentioned once for a diversity index of 44.1% up from 393 and 41.2%. The number of singletons is a new high but it was not our most diverse week ever but considering what did go on this week it is an impressive number to be as high as it is.
    This week the two boards squared off as the scent champions of each forum vied for the number one slot. In the pink corner hailing from the labs of Guerlain, the 119 year old champion fighting on a base of Civet and Tonka it’s…….Jiiiiiiiiiiiickyyyyyy!!!! Now fighting out of the blue corner, the challenger; the brash youngster straight outta Hermes with a one-two citrus punch……..Terrrrrrrrrrre……D……Hermeeeeees!!!! It will be seven rounds of exciting number crunching action here at the Basenotes Arena. The great smelling crowd is ready. Who will be left standing???
    It wasn’t even a contest, if this really was a fight the ref would’ve stopped it early. Jicky racked up an amazing 40 wears this week far outdistancing Terre D’Hermes by 15. It's not that the guys didn't try as the 25 wears for Terre D'Hermes was a new high for the scent. There wasn’t one day this week where there weren’t more wears of Jicky than Terre D’hermes. One interesting note is that while the ladies were wearing this all week they were all talking about how much they like Jicky. By contrast the guys were almost apologetic about wearing their contender with a number of comments about how they would be glad to move on to something else. When it comes to getting a response the ladies are number one. The guys, well let’s just say if I’m ever going to run for the non-existent Presidency of Basenotes my campaign staff is going to be entirely from the female side of the forums. They know how to get a response.
    The ladies even get a response when they’re not really trying. It was Quarry’s birthday this week and a number of the ladies wore her favorite, Nanadebary Green, and that was enough to place that one in the top 10. Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki continues to grow in wears and it posts it’s highest week ever. Tauer’s L’air du Desert Marocain also posts a new high for the scent. Some of the old reliables are present. There were a number of newcomers this week including Aramis Havana, Bvlgari pour Homme, Caron pour un Homme, Montale White Aoud and Serge Lutens Musc Kublai Khan. On the overall house side of things Estee Lauder and Frederic Malle had record weeks while Creed was down about 30% from their normal amount of wears.
    17 scents make the top 10 this week because with 5 wears as the inclusion point it made for the lowest relative percentage to make the top 10, so far.
    Even with that expansion only four scents are holdovers from last week. Another indication of the diversity of this community. No more nonsense from me, here now the top 10.

SotW May 24th – 30th 2008

1.) Guerlain Jicky 40 wears (4.0%)
    2.) Terre D’Hermes 25 wears (2.5%)
    3.) Comme des Garcons/ Monocle Scent One: Hinoki 12 wears (1.2%)
    4.) Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain 10 wears (1.0%)
    5.) Guerlain Vetiver 9 wears (0.9%)
    6.) Dior Homme 7 wears (0.7%)
    6.) Nanadebary Green 7 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Aramis Havana 6 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Parfums de Nicolai New York 6 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Bvlgari pour Homme 5 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Caron pour un Homme 5 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 5 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Creed Original Vetiver 5 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Montale White Aoud 5 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Serge Lutens Musc Kublai Khan 5 wears (0.5%)
    10.) Thierry Mugler Cologne 5 wears (0.5%)

No just missing list as with 17 scents in the top 10 there really isn’t a need this week. A couple of final comments on the numbers. I’m looking forward to the week we crest 1, 000 posts for a week, with the combined numbers we’re really close. Also we crossed the 2, 000th different scent charted, on Thursday this week.
    Another interesting week ladies and gentlemen of the community can’t wait to see how this week unfolds.
    As always you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SotW May 24th-30th 2008

Wow... thanks so much for the diligent number-crunching Metro-Man!
    As always you write with flair and humor, and baffle the sh*t out of me as to how patient you are!
    VERY cool stuff!

All hail the ladies of Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SotW May 24th-30th 2008

Thanks, the weather is going to be warmer and warmer, so I expected to see some summer fragrances and make up my "WISH LIST" with your statistics. But it seems the temperature didn't affect the choices of basenoters!