Code of Conduct

Post Recommendation for a 21yr old male college student

I am a 21 year old male college student in New York. I am in the market for a new scent that suits my needs and personality and I was hoping someone could give me some advice. My current wardrobe consists of Estee Lauder's Intuition and Hugo Boss Selection. I believe I am prone to oriental woody/citrus scents.

I am looking for new scent that has the following criteria:
    1) It matches up with my age range
    2) Does not require me to break the bank (remember I am a college student)
    3) Long-lasting
    4) Attractive to both the female/male nose
    5) It is versatile for most of the seasons.

I have found Gucci's Envy, Calvin Klein's Euphoria, Clinique's Happy, Ralph Lauren's Safari very appealing to my nose. Are there any others that I should look at? I am completely stumped and afraid in jumping into a purchase and then regreting it after. Please help me. If you have any suggestions/advice I'd love to hear it. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by oreo86us; 1st June 2008 at 11:05 PM.

Default Re: Recommendation for a 21yr old male college student

There are way too many actually. I would suggest you try:

-Bvlgari Aqva
    -Givenchy Blue Label
    -Mugler Cologne
    -L'eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake
    -Givenchy Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude
    -Chrome by Azzaro
    -Paul Smith Story

These are versatile scents, good for going to college, movie theater, hanging out with friends and dating too.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

some advice from another (just) 21 year old male college student;

- Versace "Man"
    - Burberry "London for Men"
    - Cartier "Eau de Cartier"
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Hello and welcome to basenotes!!

I'm in the same place you are althought I've broken the bank quite a few times to find the bottles that are perfect for me. I would suggest these:

Versace - The Dreamer
    Rochas Man
    Lacoste pour Homme
    YSL - Live Jazz
    YSL - L'Homme
    Chanel - Egoiste

Good luck on your hunt. Remember to test them on your skin before you buy them.

Sur la Plage

Diesel Fuel for Life for Men
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Prada Amber
    Viktor and Rolf Antidote
    Salvador Dali Le Roy Soleil
    Burberry London
    YSL Live Jazz
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'll try not to repeat the recomendations:
    Halston Unbound (AdG clone but better)
    Ungaro III
    Dior Homme
    Lacoste Essential.
    Rive Gauche.
    Creed Erolfa.
    Gucci II
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allur Sport (or geir)
    Chanel Allure Sport Cologne

I have a question...I dont want to derail the thread..but dont think its worthy of its on..i'm in the same age range. I was wondering about clothing...I am more of a sporty type ie, wearing athletic shorts and t-shirt most of the time, i just feel most comfortable in it. Do most still wear cologne even dressed as such? I find myself only reaching for some cologne when i'm dressed up for some occasion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    I have a question...I dont want to derail the thread..but dont think its worthy of its on..i'm in the same age range. I was wondering about clothing...I am more of a sporty type ie, wearing athletic shorts and t-shirt most of the time, i just feel most comfortable in it. Do most still wear cologne even dressed as such? I find myself only reaching for some cologne when i'm dressed up for some occasion.
    I do. Even if I'm in shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers, I do anyway. The stuff I own can either be very casual or go well with something more formal. I usually dress business casual at most for more formal dinners since I don't walk into 4+ star restaurants or attend weddings which would require me to be decked out in a sport coat and tie. Out of what I have, there are only a couple that I wouldn't use for formal occassions, like CK Crave or Curve. I normally don't like limiting myself with a particular scent that's outside of the way I normally dress. So I tend to lean more towards the stuff that's versatile like the stuff in my current rotation. I only get minis of the more formal scents that I'd feel weird wearing if I was in t-shirt and jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by oreo86us View Post
    3) Long-lasting
    I second Dior Homme, Givenchy VI Fresh Attitude, Diesel Fuel for Life, Antidote, and YSL Live Jazz.

I also suggest you try Terre d'Hermes and YSL Body Kouros. Both can be worn by anyone in any age range IMO. Body Kouros can be had for $30, while Terre d'Hermes is in the $50 range. Both happen to be *the* two most long lasting fragrances I have ever tried (at least on my skin). Terre d'Hermes has great projection and everyone around you will notice you easily, even if you go with only one spray. I leave a trail everywhere when I wear Td'H. It is also very versatile, you can wear it for any season and for any occasion. Works great in the heat of summer or in winter, and you can wear it to college and smell cool, or wear it to an evening event and smell sophisticated. Body Kouros is a little in the cool side, and you don't want to wear it when the weather is hot, but it's a great scent and is definitely worth a try.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Basenotes.

One thing to keep in mind is the climate. If you are from a hot cliimate, such as Thailand or California, I think recommondations are bound to be a certain type (Chrome,L'eau D'Issey,Givenchy Blue Label, Bvlgari Aqva). Season's as well do make a difference, as I have recetly purchased Burberry London, but I realize now that I'll have to wait until November to add to my rotation.

I think Irish and Mostapha have really good choices for you, just stay away from Chanel Allure Sport. IMO, it is a gross scent, but you may disagree. Take it for a test.

Gucci Envy would be delicious, take it on a test run, you were already drawn to it.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    I do. Even if I'm in shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers, I do anyway. The stuff I own can either be very casual or go well with something more formal. I usually dress business casual at most for more formal dinners since I don't walk into 4+ star restaurants or attend weddings which would require me to be decked out in a sport coat and tie. Out of what I have, there are only a couple that I wouldn't use for formal occassions, like CK Crave or Curve. I normally don't like limiting myself with a particular scent that's outside of the way I normally dress. So I tend to lean more towards the stuff that's versatile like the stuff in my current rotation. I only get minis of the more formal scents that I'd feel weird wearing if I was in t-shirt and jeans.
    like i have AdG, polo blue, and armani code...dont know...just feel like it doesnt seem good to wear those types of frags with t-shirt, sneakers and shorts...i guess it shouldnt really matter?

Blog Entries

Polo Blue was one of my staples for casual and semi-formal wear for a long time, honestly. I will at least spray something on pretty much every time, unless I'm going to be doing some sort of physical activity (ex: I did not wear anything to a pick-up tennis match today). But a lot of "casual scents" can be worn in more formal occasions, it has a great deal to do with how you present yourself. If you're in a suit and tie wearing, oh, CK Euphoria, and you're clearly uncomfortable, it will affect how your fragrance is perceived. If you're confident and assertive while wearing it, you may be surprised as to how well it's received; in my experience in dealing with others, the more assertive and outgoing you are, the more you receive comments on your appearance and fragrance in general.

Slightly off-topic, my very first day of wearing Havana to work, I was really excited to be wearing such a great scent. I am there not even five minutes when I get a comment on...my shoes. Which were admittedly new but the point is the fragrance doesn't make the man, the man makes the fragrance, and you can really make it into anything you want it to be.

Cheers.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Slightly off-topic, my very first day of wearing Havana to work, I was really excited to be wearing such a great scent. I am there not even five minutes when I get a comment on...my shoes. Which were admittedly new but the point is the fragrance doesn't make the man, the man makes the fragrance, and you can really make it into anything you want it to be.
    Agree with you there. And I gotta say, a lot of people (guys especially) are noticing shoes nowadays. There's something strange brewing I swear!

I hate to go against what pretty much every basenoter here will think, but I would recommend a very (2-3 sprays from 5-10 cms away, maybe one on your chest, one on the back of your neck and one on your arm/s) light application of either le Male by JPG, or D & G pour Homme. Yes, they are both very common, but my god do women go bannanas for them. And, unlike most of the crap released nowadays, they both last more than a few hours!
    I own Live Jazz & Bvlgari Aqua, and while I personally enjoy them in hot weater much more than the afformentioned two, they don't impress my girlfriend or my uni friends nearly as much. For daily wear though, they are great... But Live Jazz I only wear on the hottest days, or days when I know I will be doing alot of sweating!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

[QUOTE=Anthony87;1234981]I hate to go against what pretty much every basenoter here will think, but I would recommend a very (2-3 sprays from 5-10 cms away, maybe one on your chest, one on the back of your neck and one on your arm/s) light application of either le Male by JPG, or D & G pour Homme. Yes, they are both very common, but my god do women go bannanas for them. And, unlike most of the crap released nowadays, they both last more than a few hours!
    QUOTE]

You are right, D&G pour homme does last many hours...like 12 or more ! Its great, but my standards have been unfairly raised because of this. I've brought it back into my rotaion, and 2-3 sprays do go a long way. I don't care what women go crazy for, because I generally know they prefer sweet, feminine or fresh frags. Heck, even a man loves smelling D&G on another man. But back on topic, the light application works great. You don't want to be seen as immature by bathing in a powerful frag like D&G pour homme.........but I'll stay away from Le Male.

Oh, and Polo Blue, AdG and Armani Code are all scents I have worn ( regularly) with jeans and shirt. All I wear is denim and a casual shirts anyways, and always with a scent. Polo Blue is a great choice for that kinda situation. Some don't work with jeans and shirt, like Burberry London, Fendi Life Essence or maybe Ungaro III ( but I'm only going on reviews with this one).

A&F Fierce. Its all you need. Trust me, the girls love this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Gucci Envy would be delicious, take it on a test run, you were already drawn to it.

I think you'll love one of these 3:
    YSL - L'homme (citrus, fresh, flower and woody),
    Armani - Code (citrus/oriental) or
    Carolina Herrera - 212 men (lasts more than 10 hours )

I'm also a 21 years old college student

BTW: I don't like Le Male, I hate wearing Terre D'hermes and Body Kouros...

Ah I forgot: you have to wear 212 men a whole day, as it changes a lot but I absolutely LOVE the drydown of it

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

Oh, and Polo Blue, AdG and Armani Code are all scents I have worn ( regularly) with jeans and shirt. All I wear is denim and a casual shirts anyways, and always with a scent. Polo Blue is a great choice for that kinda situation. Some don't work with jeans and shirt, like Burberry London, Fendi Life Essence or maybe Ungaro III ( but I'm only going on reviews with this one).

sounds good.

VS Very Sexy for Him
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Hugo XY is also good for a younger college age. Maybe try Ed Hardy, also.

But if you are worried about cost, go to TJ Max and pick up Escada PH or Burrberry Weekend, for cheap there.
    Last edited by danho; 9th June 2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

But if you are worried about cost, go to TJ Max and pick up Escada PH or Burrberry Weekend, for cheap there

But does Burberry Weekend have good longevity ? I'm doubtful danho, but could just be in certain cases.

One more thing, 21 years old is not as young as you think ( hope I'm not depressing anyone). Although maybe stay away from wearing Ralph Lauren Safari daily.

Choices chosen by myself, a 20yr old university student:
    These are all versatile, have character, easy to buy, won't break the bank, and would also please girls. Try these out:

- L'eau d'Issey pour Homme ~ You really can't go wrong with this one. This is actually a really good scent that girls love. Bottle-worthy for any wardrobe.
    - Burberry London ~ Great boozy scent that is good from start to finish.
    - Gucci Pour Homme II ~ Black tea, cinnamon, fresh chopped wood, violet. the opening is incredible -- what follows is just okay, but the opening will make you keep coming back for more.
    - Lolita Lempicka au Masculin ~ Sweet licorice heaven. (Or syrup-drenched cloying hell for some)
    - Chanel Allure Homme Blanche ~ The best Allure to date imo. The addition of lemon and vanilla is genius.
    - Escada Magnetism ~ Vanilla coke opening with a very comforting drydown.

Honestly, I don't like Calvin Klein's Euphoria, Clinique's Happy, Ralph Lauren's Safari much at all.
    Last edited by moltening; 10th June 2008 at 07:49 PM.

I also suggest Terre D'Hermes. It is what I as well as a few other college buddies would wear. It really has some nice staying power, and has a very unique scent. Great for almost anything. I found it to be a great confidence booster in the office, and during the winter at Uni.

Polo Blue has always seemed rather - jeans, polo, and bright white shoes. Not my style of dressing but is rather distinct and very aquatic.

Best of luck!

U cannot go wrong with Versace Blue Jeans! Cheap, popular, smells great with good longevity!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

You need to try it on your skin but I'd also try Armani Mania. It works well with me and has a clean yet sophisticated smell.

Burberry London is also great but I wouldn't wear it now...more Fall and Winter.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 26th June 2008 at 03:50 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by oreo86us View Post
    I am a 21 year old male college student in New York. I am in the market for a new scent that suits my needs and personality and I was hoping someone could give me some advice. My current wardrobe consists of Estee Lauder's Intuition and Hugo Boss Selection. I believe I am prone to oriental woody/citrus scents.

I am looking for new scent that has the following criteria:
    3) Long-lasting

I have found Gucci's Envy, Calvin Klein's Euphoria, Clinique's Happy, Ralph Lauren's Safari very appealing to my nose. Are there any others that I should look at? I am completely stumped and afraid in jumping into a purchase and then regreting it after. Please help me. If you have any suggestions/advice I'd love to hear it. Thank you in advance.
    If you like CK Euphoria you should try CK Man. It's got good longevity, a decent sillage and I've found it can be worn in most weather. Plus you can get a 100mL bottle on online auction sites for $30-40. Granted, its not all that unique but its nice enough to wear.
    Last edited by surreality; 3rd July 2008 at 05:16 AM.

Hugo Boss - Boss Bottled
    Paul Smith London
    Iceberg Twice
    Body Shop White Musk For Men
    Body Shop Activist
    YSL Opium
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M