Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Xeryus Rouge

Wow I can't belive this is sooooo good and I had no ideea about it. It is simply gorgeous. Do you know if it's discontinued or not? What do u think about it?

Default Re: Givenchy Xeryus Rouge

I think it's awful. In fact I gave away my bottle recently because of this. It's like Shiseido Basala, but with cheaper ingredients and a ton of sugar. Basala is dry, this is a cloying mess.

I love Basala, but this Xeryus Rouge stuff I can't stand. One of the few times a fragrance literally made me gag.

Sorry to sound so negative, but that's my honest opinion about it. It's in my top ten of worst frags ever.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I have not tried the Rouge variation, but Xeryus was a staple scent for me awhile in college. I recently bought another bottle and I think I liked it better in college.

I think it smells like plastic vanilla. It is far too cloying and very, very hard to wear. I think I have a bottle at home somewhere that has been collecting dust for 4 years because I cannot wear it anymore.

I agree completely with Domingo. I don't like it. It's not for me. If you do then that is your thing but I can't stand it.

The regular Xeryus was much better than Xeryus Rouge.

I feel this was test run for Pi. Obvious Pi is better then Rouge - which is awful stuff.

It's unique and if you like it, I suggest wearing it once a week (no more), and also not applying too much. Lately, I've found that I have a craving for the sweeter frags (a "sweet nose"?), so XR is not on the top of my list. I do like the exotic fruit notes, and I might try layering with Corinto Silver, which I use to sweeten up frags like XR. If I remember, I'll report back here after conducting my little experiment.

;-)

Not for me...

I bought Xeryus Rouge blind, a couple of years ago, and put it up for sale after the first couple of sprays! To me, it's vile stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by whitechandoo View Post
    Wow I can't belive this is sooooo good and I had no ideea about it. It is simply gorgeous. Do you know if it's discontinued or not? What do u think about it?
    I'm glad you wrote this. It seems like you and I are the only people here who fully appreciate this scent.

Why no one else here likes this delightful kumquat, cedar and tonka bean scent escapes me. I've spent 8 years here reading post after post about how bad this scent is, and wondering "What's wrong with them? They praise rubbishy girly scents that last half an hour, and rubbish good long lasting masculine scents like this one."

It's ridiculous. They even disagree, in this one case, with the mentor of many here, Luca Turin, who gives it three stars - the same average score he gives to most of their beloved Creeds.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 2nd June 2008 at 02:39 PM.

I just refuse to believe that Annick Menardo (Bvlgari Black, Jaïpur pour Homme, Lolita Lempicka au Masculine) created this weird scent.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Thumbs up Re: Givenchy Xeryus Rouge

What do u think about it?
    Love it. Masculine. Spicy, exotic cactus & kumquat. Individualistic, slightly offbeat. Longlasting, too. Have you read the Basenotes reviews? The majority of them are positive.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 2nd June 2008 at 06:12 PM.

I will always have this in my collection. Absolutely love it.

I actually love this one. It suits my skin perfectly, and I get a ton of compliments whenever I wear it. The opening part is the best when you can really smell the cactus/kumquat - however, like all givenchy's I've tried (and YSL's too) it turns into nuclear waste after an hour or two. I can't handle the very chemical nature of most designer fragrances anymore.

I don't think it resembles Pi at all to whoever mentioned that - the only thing they have in common is that they are sweet, and end up smelling like nuclear waste.

To those who like Xeryus Rouge - does it really compare with Shiseido Basala? Does Basala have that same fruity aspect to it? If I can find a version of this that doesn't turn to chemical hazmat upon drying down, I'd be really happy!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

To me Shisedio Basala is a very very dry chypre with leather under tones - comparing it to Rouge is like comparing an apple to an orange.

Ah I see - in that case, is there anything out there that actually does resemble Xeryus Rouge, which doesn't smell like petrochemicals after a few hours?
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    To me Shisedio Basala is a very very dry chypre with leather under tones - comparing it to Rouge is like comparing an apple to an orange.
    I don't agree, for it DOES smell quite a lot like Basala initially, but with a LOT of sugar added, which makes it totally unwearable for me.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Ah I see - in that case, is there anything out there that actually does resemble Xeryus Rouge, which doesn't smell like petrochemicals after a few hours?
    Some years ago, some people here claimed Dunhill Desire and Xeryus Rouge were almost the same. They're certainly the same style, but Rouge is the fruitier.

Renato

This is my number one scent ... i found nothing as PERFECT as Xeryus rouge so far ...

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I'm glad you wrote this. It seems like you and I are the only people here who fully appreciate this scent.
    Oh, I like it, too. I think it's fuh-reakin' sexy. Husband is getting a bottle for Christmas.. Or whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

Why no one else here likes this delightful kumquat, cedar and tonka bean scent escapes me. I've spent 8 years here reading post after post about how bad this scent is, and wondering "What's wrong with them? They praise rubbishy girly scents that last half an hour, and rubbish good long lasting masculine scents like this one."

It's ridiculous. They even disagree, in this one case, with the mentor of many here, Luca Turin, who gives it three stars - the same average score he gives to most of their beloved Creeds.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Add me to the list

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    I think it's awful. In fact I gave away my bottle recently because of this. It's like Shiseido Basala, but with cheaper ingredients and a ton of sugar. Basala is dry, this is a cloying mess.

I love Basala, but this Xeryus Rouge stuff I can't stand. One of the few times a fragrance literally made me gag.

Sorry to sound so negative, but that's my honest opinion about it. It's in my top ten of worst frags ever.

Wow, I hated this one too, and literally gave my bottle away to another B'noter.

I'm an easy-to-please kinda guy and I rarely have a completely negative reaction to a perfume, but this one...and I'd also name SMN's Nostalgia...(though, according to the reviews, I'm alone on this one) was one of the very few that just left me speechless with its awfulness. Synthetic and foul-smelling to the max.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post

I also love Basala and did not like X.Rouge, but yet it smells great on my wife. She uses very little amounts and with her skin type, it just works.

Preach it Renato!~

some of my colleagues asked me about what i ws wearing that day (XR)...(i dont ususally wear XR to work however)..... they told me to bring the bottle ... 10 (Literally 10) of my colleages all was obsessed by this smell.... they were all smelling their hands all the day like drug addicts ....
    i know its a matter of taste .... but very little people find it awful !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ausamamira View Post
    10 (Literally 10) of my colleages all was obsessed by this smell.... they were all smelling their hands all the day like drug addicts ....
    I know the feeling, that's how I behave with most scents that the H&R Chart label as being Ambery Fougeres, which includes Xeryus Rouge.
    Renato

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by ausamamira View Post
    some of my colleagues asked me about what i ws wearing that day (XR)...(i dont ususally wear XR to work however)..... they told me to bring the bottle ... 10 (Literally 10) of my colleages all was obsessed by this smell.... they were all smelling their hands all the day like drug addicts ....
    i know its a matter of taste .... but very little people find it awful !!!!!
    In spite of me not liking XR, I'm happy you and your colleagues do. I get confounded on how people can't love Patou PH as much as I. Everything isn't for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    In spite of me not liking XR, I'm happy you and your colleagues do. I get confounded on how people can't love Patou PH as much as I. Everything isn't for everybody.
    a lot of +ve reviews for Patou PH, i would try it, but discontinued unfortunately

This has been reformulated for sure!

The old art deco bottle version, had a stronger spice component and the musky sandalwood drydown was very prominent.

In the new bottle, the melon cactus note stays throughout,hardly any musky sandalwood in the drydown.

Absolutely love it, one of my most worn! It is a sweet but cold scent, cold in charachter sort to speak. Longevity and projection are awesome.
    Last edited by Zgb; 21st December 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Absolutely love it. It is a sweet but cold scent, cold in charachter sort to speak. Longevity and projection are awesome.
    Agree.

Basenotes Plus

Longevity and projection are Joop!-like on me. If you can handle the cactus and sweetness, this is a quality scent. Use it sparingly. It can get cloying.

Ahhhh Xeryus Rouge.... probably my most complimented fragrance and a total hit with the opposite sex.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

I LOVE this one.... well, I LOVED...

I didn't use it for 5-6 months and when I used it few days ago it was nauseating and I just wanted to wash it off... thats weird. Maybe my bottle turned bad, don't know.

The best part of this fragrance for me is the drydown. Its magical, unique and charming. It just suck that my nose don't want to like it anymore...

This is possibly the worst of the Annick Menardo's creations. Vile.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

I can't handle the sweetness, disgusting!

THe new version is horrible IMO, the old pre 2000 bottle was great!

Love it. Love it. Love it!!!

great going out scent. sweet, potent, masculine. nowadays the pepper in it kills me though.

I got my hands on the vintage formulation in the original art deco bottle, its amazing ! The current formulation does not hold a candle to the original formulation. 9/10 for the original , 2/10 for the current formulation.