Code of Conduct

Default Roja Dove Unspoken- The Ultimate Chypre

Hey everyone. I have stumbled on one of the most fascinating perfumes i have smelt in a while. Roja Dove Unspoken. I am a big big big Chypre fan and this one in my opinion has taken it to another level. It is part of his own creations, the trilogy line, and is absolutely stunning. What makes this so stunning is his use of Jasmine in the composition that really brings this scent to life and gives it an amazing twist that i have not smelled in a Chypre before. He has managed to balance the citrus notes with this amazing Jasmine note and than it settles to an amazing woody mossy note. Very unisex. I bought a bottle of this over the phone from the Roja dove store and within 4 days i had it. There are 2 concentrations, the Perfume which is a very expensive $600.00 for 100ml or the better priced EDP for $160 for 100ml. It was so good that I ended up ordering 2 more bottles a few weeks after i received the first on. I recommend Chypre fans to at least order a sample of this at the perfumed court and see what you think. Very unique and very exclusive. If you go to his site below and click n trilogy and then choose unspoken, you can then press on a button to hear his explanation of the scent. It is really nice to hear him speak about it.

Notes for Unspoken ~ a chypré, featuring notes of bergamot, neroli, rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine de Grasse, ginger, oakmoss, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, vanilla, balsams and labdanum.

http://www.rojadove.com/
    Last edited by cairomerta; 1st June 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Default Re: Roja Dove Unspoken- The Ultimate Chypre

I do agree with you. I smelled it once on a paper strip and still remember it. When I go to London, will try on my skin, and if it's good, going to buy it..
    Last edited by DreamerII; 1st June 2008 at 11:33 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Just watched Roja explain his trilogy. F*cking fantastic! Thanks for the link!

Basenotes Institution

Sounds exciting indeed.

I have a sample of that chypre that Aedes released from Un Historie, the one that was supposedly a tribute to the great chypre's of all times, but I still haven't sampled it due to the lackluster reviews it received here and elsewhere from some Basenoters who are true chypre fans. Unspoken sounds like everything that the Un Historie wanted to be, and more.

Adding this to my To Test list now!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd June 2008 at 08:00 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Hey everyone. I have stumbled on one of the most fascinating perfumes i have smelt in a while. Roja Dove Unspoken. I am a big big big Chypre fan and this one in my opinion has taken it to another level. It is part of his own creations, the trilogy line, and is absolutely stunning. What makes this so stunning is his use of Jasmine in the composition that really brings this scent to life and gives it an amazing twist that i have not smelled in a Chypre before. He has managed to balance the citrus notes with this amazing Jasmine note and than it settles to an amazing woody mossy note. \
    Notes for Unspoken ~ a chypré, featuring notes of bergamot, neroli, rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine de Grasse, ginger, oakmoss, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, vanilla, balsams and labdanum.
    Thank you cairomerta for the sample. I couldn't resist and wore it out to dinner tonight.
    The jasmine is there big time, from the first opening note; a very real, almost "grapey", non-indolic jasmine. Something boozey kicks in the middle, not sure what it is, perhaps the patchouli. At times I was reminded of Mitsouko, but Unspoken seems more modern.
    The moss is so muted here, almost to the point of a murmur. Instead of the usual cedar/vetiver base, which probably amplifies the oakmoss, there's a fantastic vanilla/sandalwood accord in the drydown that brings Unspoken into oriental territory.
    All in all, a modern chypre, with the highest quality ingredients, that is very very sensual. And, yes, I want a bottle.
    Great stuff. *****.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th June 2008 at 01:56 PM.

Great to hear you loved it ruggles. You explained it very well. It is amazing isn't it. I really love what Roja did with this Chypre bringing the most pure and the highest grade jasmine into the scent. To buy a bottle you just have to call Roja Dove perfumery in London and ask for Marcel and he will ship it out ASAP. 2-4 days and you will have it.

Thanks for that link. I have never liked the names of these perfumes but I'm converted now. I like the sound of its 'understated elegance' based on soft sandalwood, and will seek out Unspoken and the other two companion perfumes for testing.
    Last edited by Sestra; 5th June 2008 at 11:40 AM.

I've been dying to try these for a while now...TPC only seems to have one of them though.

Has anyone been able to compare it with MDCI's two chypres? They're quite beautiful as well...one is jasmin based and one rose I believe.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Great to hear you loved it ruggles. You explained it very well. It is amazing isn't it. I really love what Roja did with this Chypre bringing the most pure and the highest grade jasmine into the scent. To buy a bottle you just have to call Roja Dove perfumery in London and ask for Marcel and he will ship it out ASAP. 2-4 days and you will have it.
    Is this the EdT that you and Ruggles are testing, or the more expensive EdP? Do you know the price of Unspoken cairo? Last I'd heard it was $200 (EdT) and $700 (EdP)?

I remember someone likening it to Coco by Chanel (which IMO is pretty close to Mitsuoko) - would you agree Ruggles?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th June 2008 at 06:53 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is this the EdT that you and Ruggles are testing, or the more expensive EdP? Do you know the price of Unspoken cairo? Last I'd heard it was $200 (EdT) and $700 (EdP)?

I remember someone likening it to Coco by Chanel (which IMO is pretty close to Mitsuoko) - would you agree Ruggles?
    This line is only available in EDP and Parfum Extrait.

Hi Mike. It is the EDP that i bought. The Perfume is $600.00 and the EDP is $165.00. Both are 100ml. The sample i sent ruggles is the EDP version.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Even though Ruggles worked for Chanel for 10 years, I can't say I recall what Coco smells like. I know her daughter Coco Mlle.
    Unspoken shares a bit with the new Gucci by Gucci, not the coca cola note, but the fact it's a chypre without a strong moss note. The fruit in Mitsouko is so different, less sweet, more retro than Unspoken's grape jasmine fruit accord.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th June 2008 at 10:06 PM.

Has anyone found a place to get a sample other tan TPC? Would love to give this a try?

This looks like a top jasmine chypre scent. have more people tried it since the last post?
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 4th December 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I always love a chypre, and have many in my collection, I even make them myself. Unspoken is in my top 3, I tried it in parfum and EdP, and actually preferred the EdP, it was a little more spacious to me. I bought it immediately, and haven't regretted it, it's really gorgeous and I get a lot of compliments on it. I hadn't thought of it as unisex, but I tried it on a male friend, and yup, works just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I always love a chypre, and have many in my collection, I even make them myself. Unspoken is in my top 3, I tried it in parfum and EdP, and actually preferred the EdP, it was a little more spacious to me. I bought it immediately, and haven't regretted it, it's really gorgeous and I get a lot of compliments on it. I hadn't thought of it as unisex, but I tried it on a male friend, and yup, works just fine!
    to what degree does the jasmine note play through the scent development?
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)