Code of Conduct

Default have you ever bought a fragrance simply because of the memories it triggers?

I contemplated buying L'Air du Temps today simply because it was my grandmother's signature scent and the smell of it reminds me so much of her in a very comforting way. I like the fragrance independently of my connection with it, but I must admit that it did not immediately "wow" me when I compared it to other scents that have in the past--it's "like" rather than "love". Nevertheless, I find myself drawn to it based on my memories of a special person.

Default Re: have you ever bought a fragrance simply because of the memories it triggers?

I bought Montana Parfum De Peau a couple of years back because I had worn it in the 80's and had a sentimental attachment to the fragrance. Unfortunately I couldn't wear Parfum De Peau as my tastes, and the formulation I suspect, had changed. I was going to keep the bottle as a 'scent memory' but I ended up selling it on ebay. There is a part of me that is very sentimental but I also have a hard headed side which can't stand to have too many possessions cluttering up my space.

Default Re: have you ever bought a fragrance simply because of the memories it triggers?

Yeah, I've done that a few times...Tabu, Emeraude, Chantilly, Nude, Bal a Versaille, Bellodgia, and probably a few more! Now I try to keep sample vials of my "memory" scents, so I can get a quick whiff now and again. Keeping full bottles of them is a waste, because even though I yearn to smell them once in awhile ~ I really don't want to wear them.

I recently bought a bottle of Ciara cause that was my first department store perfume that I ever had. I thought I was big time when I got that bottle from JC Penny. It's funny cause it doesn't smell quite the way I use to remember it, but I just wanted a bottle to remind me of the younger days when my love of perfume began.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Oh, yes! I bought a bottle of Bellodgia, which I upcap and sniff to think of my beloved grandmother. I never wear it though.

Smile Re: have you ever bought a fragrance simply because of the memories it triggers?

I have Shalimar around mostly so I can sniff it and remind myself of my grandmother. She actually disliked it, but told me that she wore it anyway because my grandfather loved it! They were nuts for each other. I also have a sample of Opium which I keep, and it also reminds me of her. She LOVED Opium. She used to refer to it in kind of a hushed deeper than usual voice, as if she were discussing something illicit, and then she'd laugh. She loved the name as much as the scent! She was such a riot. Nothing little old lady about her. We used to refer to her as "peachy" because she had full cheeks that were always a little flushed, soft as a peach. She would take long baths in Crabtree and Evelyn's Peach foaming bubble bath. The bathroom smelled divine afterwards. I wonder if they still make that stuff..?? Must research!

Most recently I bought two perfumes for this very reason: Chanel Cristalle EDT and Jo Malone's Lime Basil & Mandarin. The former was the scent my wife wore when we first met and started dating; the latter the one she changed to after we were married. My wife died two years ago. I take occasional spritzes of one or the other to remind me of her...

I bought a vintage bottle of Chloe which my mom wore when I was younger.

Yes, cheap Coty Wild Musk for my cheap youthful fantasies. Ditto, cheap headshop patchouli.
    Ha, ha, ha.
    Don't ask. They are not family-oriented memories.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 7th July 2008 at 02:42 PM.

I have it the other way.. I would LOVE to wear CK Euphoria, I had it once, and it was ingedible!

The thing is, that at the time that i used to wore it, I lived a very depressive and hard time in my life, end the scent reminds me too much of it
    Last edited by dreamflower; 7th July 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Absolutely. It's one of the main reasons why I wear a scent, to experience back good memories.

Also, if I love a new scent, I purposely wear it to somewhere nice to I can memorize it back later.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Morning Star

I just did it. I bought Acqua di Sale by Profumum this weekend because it is the only marine fragrance I've seen that really smells like the ocean from application all the way through drydown. It instantly makes me feel like I'm a kid again lounging on the beach on the South coast of Maine. This is pricey juice, costing much more than I usually like to spend, but it's worth every dime just for those memories.