Code of Conduct

Default Black Sun by Salvador Dali for sale in US... finally

Default Re: Black Sun by Salvador Dali for sale in US... finally

This doesn't sound half bad. Maybe worth a blind buy for 50 bucks.

Black Incense huh.. sounds sinister.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

It was announced well over a year ago. I've been trying to get a bottle but it seems only Austrailia and the Baltic counties had any.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme in the bottle that looks pregnant with big ole lips is one of my top five fragrances. It has monster longevity also.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 2nd June 2008 at 06:13 PM.

Sur la Plage

There is a Salvador Dali museum/store in St. Petersburg, FL - not far from where I live. I may stop in to see if they have it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd June 2008 at 06:55 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

the link I gave is for the Museum and I would love to see it also. The pics look like it's a cool Dali store first, Museum second.

I suddenly got "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden stuck in my head.
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 2nd June 2008 at 06:54 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I was thinking the same thing
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    the link I gave is for the Museum and I would love to see it also. The pics look like it's a cool Dali store first, Museum second.
    It's a very nice museum and store - and I have previously bought some cool items/gifts there. I usually take family/friends who are visiting me to go see it.

I visited the museum many moons ago during a summer at the Bollettieri Academy and it was a wonderful experience. If they really sell fragrances at the gift shop, that would make it even more awesome.

Also, the fragrance does sound nice. Hopefully it captures the darkness of Salvador Dali PH but takes it down a notch or two to make it more wearable. I look forward to trying it out.
    Last edited by whosyourcaddy05; 2nd June 2008 at 07:35 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by whosyourcaddy05 View Post
    I visited the museum many moons ago during a summer at the Bollettieri Academy and it was a wonderful experience. If they really sell fragrances at the gift shop, that would make it even more awesome.
    They do!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd June 2008 at 08:06 PM.

Pleas report back once you had a change to try it, I'm kind of curious about this one.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Sur la Plage

I called the store and they have it in stock. So if I get a chance this weekend, I will try to stop by.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    That makes three of us. LOL
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Well I like it a lot - it has heaps of lasting power and sillage. I always test numerous scents in shops by spraying them on the back of my hand. So far this year, it's easily been the longest lasting one I've sprayed on.

I'm just waiting for the store to put it on sale before I buy it. I could have got it cheaper when they had a "Buy two scents at this reduced price" offer, but I didn't like any of the other offerings.
    Renato

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Well I like it a lot - it has heaps of lasting power and sillage. I always test numerous scents in shops by spraying them on the back of my hand. So far this year, it's easily been the longest lasting one I've sprayed on.

I'm just waiting for the store to put it on sale before I buy it. I could have got it cheaper when they had a "Buy two scents at this reduced price" offer, but I didn't like any of the other offerings.
    Renato
    I guess we have a different reaction to this fragrance Renato.

I finally got to the Dali museum and tried it out. It was one of those fragrances where I sprayed it on my hand and then smelled it and thought "Did I spray anything there - I can't really smell it very much". Anyway when I could smell it I thought it was OK, but not anything special - it reminded me a little bit of Calvin Klein Euphoria for Men. I guess with the word "black" in the title, I was expecting a much "darker" fragrance.

I think Salvador Dali pour Homme and Le Roy Soleil and much better Dali fragrances.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 13th July 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Salvador Dali pour Homme and Le Roy Soleil are two great fragrances as is Laguna pour homme.

off to Amazon to see if they have 'Black Hole Sun' for sale as a single.

Sur la Plage

Salvador Dali pour Homme and Le Roy Soleil are two great fragrances as is Laguna pour homme.
    I wanted to try Laguna pour Homme, but the tester was empty and they did not have another one.

I thought Agua Verde was very nice for a "fresh" scent.

The Salvador Dali pour Homme I sprayed on my arm is still prominent at 20+ hours
    Last edited by petruccijc; 13th July 2008 at 04:19 PM.

fragrancenet.com is selling Black Sun 3.4oz edt for $32.19! See their homepage for free U.S. shipping code (no minimum purchase!) through the 16th of July.

No, I do not work for them!

PS: You're welcome!
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 13th July 2008 at 04:09 PM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I guess we have a different reaction to this fragrance Renato.

I finally got to the Dali museum and tried it out. It was one of those fragrances where I sprayed it on my hand and then smelled it and thought "Did I spray anything there - I can't really smell it very much". Anyway I thought it was OK, but not anything special - it reminded me a little bit of Calvin Klein Euphoria for Men. I guess with the word "black" in the title, I was expecting a much "darker" fragrance.

I think Salvador Dali pour Homme and Le Roy Soleil and much better Dali fragrances.
    It is extremely puzzling how it didn't last on you - I own Salvador Dali PH, Le Roy Soleil and Laguna Homme - and the Black Sun I tested is easily on par with them for strength and longevity.

Agua Verde is the Dali scent I didn't buy because it had that "wasn't there" feel to it, as it kept disappearing off my wrist after about two hours.
    Renato

I am a bit fan of the original Salvador Dali and of Salvador. I wanted to like Black Sun but I did not have the time because it was gone within minutes after application.
    Last edited by Apis; 13th July 2008 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    I am a bit fan of the original Salvador Dali and of Salvador. I wanted to like Black Sun but I did not have the time because it was gone within minutes after application.
    How would you describe Salvador? It's not a favorite but it's a lot like Azzaro PH which I think is meh too.

I consider Salvador to fall into the category of Chypre Leathery. It reminds me of Versace L'Homme, with less vanilla and a more spices. The aromatic aspect of Salvador makes me think also of Romeo Gigli Sud-Est, which is dry and sharp, while Salvador is smooth.
    Last edited by Apis; 14th July 2008 at 03:21 AM.

This sounded interesting the first time I read about it.....this might be something worth giving a test .....Thanks for the info.
    Gary

I received my shipment of Salvador Dali Black Sun today. The opening was the most peculiar of any fragrance I've tried recently, because for at least the first 5 minutes all I could smell was alcohol! Then as the alcohol smell began to evaporate, it revealed mint. Then vanilla. I really didn't know what to make of all of this at first, so I went about my business of cooking dinner. About 1/2 later I decided to sniff my wrist: and THERE it was! Basil, mint, incense and vanilla. However, the incense was fleeting, as was the basil. Two hours later I'm left with a very light fragrance that has a sort of freshness about it, the base of which holds the mint and vanilla in particular. (Actually the "mint" is listed as "minty green rose.")

I'm not sure the fragrance is aptly named, as it doesn't smell dark or "Black." Overall I like this scent. The longevity is still holding quite well after 2 hours thus far, but the projection is minimal. Definitely a "personal space" fragrance, in the vein of Basi Homme or Escada Magnetism. I intend to give it another wearing tomorrow with full application of at least 3 or 4 sprays.

Here are the notes copied from fragrancenet.com:

basil absolute, Woody, vetiver, cedar leaf, black incense, minty green rose, geranium, tonka bean, clary sage, vanilla
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    fragrancenet.com is selling Black Sun 3.4oz edt for $32.19! See their homepage for free U.S. shipping code (no minimum purchase!) through the 16th of July.

No, I do not work for them!

PS: You're welcome!
    Thanks for pointing it out, I ordered it from them.
    Renato