Code of Conduct

Thread: fern

Smile fern

Can anyone suggest a good fern, fougere perfume, that's not too expensive, and easy to find?
    Last edited by drussila; 2nd June 2008 at 06:59 PM.

Default Re: fern

Yardleys English Lavander, it is very inexpensive, and it has all the base ingredients necessary for a scent to be a fougère predecessor .
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Blog Entries

You might try Este Lauder- 'Aliage'. It sure makes me think of ferns. It is very green and unusual. Also not expensive. You won't smell like everyone else.

Ask the men's side. Fern is a bigger component in the masculine fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by drussila View Post
    Can anyone suggest a good fern, fougere perfume, that's not too expensive, and easy to find?
    I believe that Canoe is a traditional fougere. It smells good, it's easy to find and inexpensive, and ladies have been stealing it from their boyfriends forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I believe that Canoe is a traditional fougere. It smells good, it's easy to find and inexpensive, and ladies have been stealing it from their boyfriends forever.
    Does this really smell good (subjective I know)? Because I think I saw it on a drugstore shelf recently, and I was tempted to buy it just so I'd know what made women want to steal this fragrance from their men. But if it's a crappy reformulation of an old drugstore classic, I won't bother.

This just came to mind: Maja is fougere-like. It definitely has been reformulated, but I've read the reformulation is very pleasant.

My favorite women's fougere: Jean Nate concentrated cologne (not the splash). Everybody thinks it's lemony, but it's really lavender and florals on a tonka/sandalwood base. I love Jean Nate. $12 for a 2 oz. bottle.

I guess I'm on a cheapie jag tonight. Maybe I'll go spray some Tabu or Jean Nate as my SOTE!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Does this really smell good (subjective I know)? Because I think I saw it on a drugstore shelf recently, and I was tempted to buy it just so I'd know what made women want to steal this fragrance from their men. But if it's a crappy reformulation of an old drugstore classic, I won't bother.
    Both of those questions are hard to answer. I am only familiar with it since about 1996, and it still smells the same to me. Had it been reformulated prior to that, or has it been reformulated since and my nose is just not that sensitive? Certainly both possibilities.

I like the way that it smells: nothing too complicated, just warm and powdery and musky. Good, solid, dependable men used to smell this way. Since discovering Basenotes, I have determined that I am just not that into fougeres. However, I think that it is a representative example of the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Both of those questions are hard to answer. I am only familiar with it since about 1996, and it still smells the same to me. Had it been reformulated prior to that, or has it been reformulated since and my nose is just not that sensitive? Certainly both possibilities.

I like the way that it smells: nothing too complicated, just warm and powdery and musky. Good, solid, dependable men used to smell this way. Since discovering Basenotes, I have determined that I am just not that into fougeres. However, I think that it is a representative example of the breed.
    Warm, powdery and musky sounds nice, like a comfort frag. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the drugstore. I'm not that into fougeres either, but once in a while I am. If that makes sense.

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's English Fern is very nice. My husband uses it but I like it too. Not so very easy to find, but you can get it online if you aren't near to any store that carries it.

He also has Canoe and we both like it on him.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 23rd September 2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added about Canoe

I LOVE a good fern scent, if it is green, not too sweet. My favorites are the following, and they are absolute classics and well worth seeking out and buying online.
    Geo. F. Trumper's Wild Fern
    Penhaligons English Fern

If you want to try a modern version, a little sweeter, Bois 1920 Extreme is pretty good. It is expensive, but you could sample it and see what you think.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas