Code of Conduct

Default Confused about Ungaro III's composition notes.

I was searching basenotes.com for an easy wearable and uncommon scent (at least here in Brazil), and came to a decision to blindbuy Ungaro III, based in the very positive reviews found here and in other internet websites.
    Since it's very difficult to find Ungaro III here, and the import taxes law in this country is very prohibitive for me to order a sample, I asked a friend who's going to NY this week to bring me a 3.4oz bottle.
    But here is my question. After doing some research about the composition notes of Ungaro III, I've encountered some different informations about it.
    Some sources say its notes are: "Lavender, Clary sage, Rosewood, Coriander, Geranium, Jasmine, Rose, Lily of the valley, Carnation, Patchouli, Cedar, Musk, Moss. Neroli, Pepper, Tonka, Sandalwood". (and these notes are what I am looking for).
    While others, including the Emanuel Ungaro's official website, say: "pepper, lemon, orange, geranium, patchouli, vetiver and sandalwood."

http://www.ungaro.com/en/ungaro.html

I also noticed that there is two different kinds of packages for Ungaro III. One of them resembles red petals of roses with the name of the fragrance written in gold, while the other one presents only the name of fragrance in gold, in an etirely black package. Could it be possible that Ungaro actually changed the formulation of Ungaro III along with the new package?
    Or are they just the very same fragrance?

Could someone, please, elucidate it for me? Anyone who had worn it while it was old packaged, and wore it recently?

ps: sorry for any bad grammar or bad writting, I don't usually write in English.
    And sorry if I did not post this thread in the right place, but since it's all about a male fragance, I found convenient to post it here.
    I am new to basenotes (this is my first post), just like I am new to the fragrance's world.

Thank you very much!

Default Re: Confused about Ungaro III's composition notes.

Welcome Vinicius!

There are quite a few other threads here on Ungaro III packaging which you can find using the search function. The bottom line is:
    -very old ones have the blotchy red box and a similar pattern on the bottle
    -some have the blotchy red box with a black and gold bottle (this is the one I own and would thoroughly recommend)
    -the newest edition has a plain black box and bottle - I cannot vouch for whether it is as good as the 2nd version

In terms of the published notes, I rarely find these useful. When I read lists of notes and conjure an image of a fragrance, it rarely bears any resemblance to when I actually smell it. I find it far more useful to read people's reviews here to get a "feel" for the fragrance.

My experience of U3 is of a bright fresh start with a deeper floral heart, definitely rose and other florals. While it does deepen over the course of the day, for me it never reaches the dark depths that others speak of, it retains a degree of freshness and I love it all the more for that. I find it fits a similar role for me as GIT - fresh and clean with a deeper, more sophisticated floral heart, and heaps of compliments. Great longevity. Sensible sillage. Ridiculously cheap.

BTW where are you buying it in NYC? I bought mine there in the fragrance district for about $15 for 100mL.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Notes are a lot of times just marketing statements. If sandalwood sells, a lot of fragrances will claim to have sandalwood. Trust Basenotes and your nose.

Grate fragrance, unfortunately, at the of the day it smells like gasoline on my skin.

Ged, did you say New York had a fragrence district ?? That is truely amazing in its self. Now I know why it is such a great city !

People, very thanks for your replies!

Ged

Thanks, Ged. I've been searching these topics about the new U3's packaging and the polemical possibility of its juice formulation change. Frankly, after reading some of them, I somewhat felt disappointed. Reading all those favorable and even exciting reviews about U3 here, in basenotes, and have not the chance to sniff it as it really was is kind of frustrating. However, your description about your experience with the 2nd version sounds very nice indeed, and if could really experience those olfactory sensations as I can imagine reading them, when I get the bottle in my hands, then I will be very satisfied.
    This 2nd version of U3 has its notes often listed as that ones wich I am looking for (although you all have warned me that such information may be inaccurate or just marketing statements); so, in any case, let's hope my friend just happen to buy the 2nd version one.
    By the way, I don't know where my friend is going to buy it. She simply asked me if I wanted her to bring something, as she was going to be in NYC this week. I told her that it would be nice if he could find U3 there and bring it. I also asked her to bring Hiris by Hermčs, if she could find it, for my girlfriend, because here in Brazil the valentine's day is next week's thursday (and Hiris is almost impossible to find here). I wish I had posted this before, because 15$ for a 100ml bottle is the best price I've seen on Ungaro III, a steal, I would say... online, the cheaper 100ml bottle I could find was costing 19$ (still very cheap). I would ask you how to get in the fragrance district and tell my friend to go there, if so.

Irish

Thank you, Irish. Im just a newbie in the world of fragrances yet. And I hadn't the opportunity to sniff U3, unfortunatelly. In such circumstances, I could not but trust the fragrance reviews and listed notes (as it is in any blind buy occasion). It's so confusing when there's different information about the "structure" of the fragrance at the sources I've read about it.
    But, anyway, basenotes.com seems to be a very reliable one. I'll keep going through it when it comes to overall knowledge about fragrances and purchasing suggestions. Trustworthy, for sure.
    Thanks you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone has ever experienced both older (original or red/black packaged) and newer versions (black packaged only) of U3, please share. I would really appreciate it. Very thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinícius View Post
    Ged

By the way, I don't know where my friend is going to buy it. She simply asked me if I wanted her to bring something, as she was going to be in NYC this week. I told her that it would be nice if he could find U3 there and bring it. I also asked her to bring Hiris by Hermès, if she could find it, for my girlfriend, because here in Brazil the valentine's day is next week's thursday (and Hiris is almost impossible to find here). I wish I had posted this before, because 15$ for a 100ml bottle is the best price I've seen on Ungaro III, a steal, I would say... online, the cheaper 100ml bottle I could find was costing 19$ (still very cheap). I would ask you how to get in the fragrance district and tell my friend to go there, if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Ged, did you say New York had a fragrence district ?? That is truely amazing in its self. Now I know why it is such a great city !
    The "Fragrance District" is not really a district as such, but a long street that is full of small perfume retailers, mainly run by Indians and Chinese, where you can get ridiculous bargains. MOST of the stores have genuine stock, if you are an experienced fragrance shopper you can tell the difference. I got Ungaro III for $15, Hermes Equipage for $30 and Creed Tabarome Millesime for $75 (real not fake). It can take a bit of time if you are looking for something specific. i'm sorry I can't remember the name of the shop I got these from - I looked in heaps of stores before I settled on this one, the Indian chap was very friendly and actually knew heaps about fragrance. If you go to the NYC Shopping Guide on the forum, it mentions the location of the street. From memory it is off Broadway, a long way down from Times Square.

Have fun

Ged
    Last edited by Ged; 5th June 2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Edit
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by scentinell View Post
    Let me second the Fragrance District. It's an unimaginable paradise for a BNer. I've shopped all over the world and have never seen anything like this. Imagine at least 20 stores in close proximity with floor to ceiling stock, and prices so low you'll be buying everything in sight. Its about the lowest of low prices you'll ever see at Marshalls/TJMaxx or on ebay but with no shipping charge and no tax. On a recent trip I bought Bulgari Black tester in its factory brown box with cap (obviously) for $18; Iceberg twice big size for $12; Bulgari PH tester big size for $18, Burberry Brit tester for $23 -- all without any bargaining. As stated, you can bargain for sure, or even have the guy next door beat the other guys price, but at these prices it wasn't worth the hassle to me. And, although you may not find the rarest stuff, the selection is great, Creed is certainly there as well as full lines of "common" stuff, like the full Bulgari line in every size available as well as testers galore. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog View Post
    NYC's Fragrance District is worth visiting. From 34th Street, walk south on Broadway for several blocks and you'll find many shops crammed with fragrances from floor to ceiling. Prices are not posted, so you can bargain and there's no sales tax. I got great prices on Dior's Dolce Vita, Bulgari Omnia and others. Some stores have tester bottles in plain packaging. I haven't seen too many truly hard-to-find fragrances but there are many available that are still in production but no longer carried in department stores. Have fun!
    Here's the info...

Cool Re: Confused about Ungaro III's composition notes.

Cool, thanks : )