Code of Conduct

Question Woody young scent without oriental & spice characteristic.....any suggestions?

Hi all. Recently I bought Issey Pour Homme Intense.............and I just fell in love with the smoky woody scent. To my suprise, it smells young as previously I tought that woody scent has this heavy butch characteristic.....Emmm any suggestions for a young woody scent but without the oriental and spicy characteristic? (I got Mugler Cologne for earthy scent, Dunhill Pure for sweet scent, BodyShop Of A Man & Azzaro Chrome for citrus scent, Burberry Brit for rosey scent, Gucci Envy for my night/oriental scent, Paco XS for my office scent). Thanks.

Default Re: Woody young scent without oriental & spice characteristic.....any suggestions?

When I want a mostly woody frag, I reach for Gucci Pour Homme (new one) or Tumulte. I've yet to decide which I like better, because I've got so many frags (bottles and samples) so there's only so much time. I'd say Tumulte is even more woody then GPH, if that's what you want.

Default Re: Woody young scent without oriental & spice characteristic.....any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by archaic View Post
    Recently I bought Issey Pour Homme Intense.............and I just fell in love with the smoky woody scent.
    It really depends upon what kind of woody scent you prefer. Are we talking pine (Pino Silvestre, Polo)? Sandalwood? Cedar?

Talking Re: Woody young scent without oriental & spice characteristic.....any suggestions?

Emm woody as in logs? Emm that does not make any sense.....Just the smell of wood, dry perhaps, not sensual, smoky (just to add some drama) hehehehehe.......I don't think pine....hehehehe pine reminds me of Versace Green Jeans.
    Last edited by archaic; 4th June 2008 at 04:02 AM.

This is easy, Rochas Lui.

Quote Originally Posted by archaic View Post
    Just the smell of wood, dry perhaps, not sensual, smoky (just to add some drama) hehehehehe.......
    Maybe Esteban Cedre or Tam Dao for unadulterated woodiness. For a more modern, abstract woodinesss, one of the Armanis? Am I thinking of Code for Men? Or maybe Mania?
    Last edited by Advocate; 4th June 2008 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Try Escentric Molecules Escentric 01 .. very uncanny scent, sensuously smoky and woody... I also second the Tumulte recommendation above and would add Fendi Life Essence.
    Last edited by Amit; 4th June 2008 at 04:27 AM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    This is easy, Rochas Lui.
    This has great reviews, and some mention of a danger of being discontinued.

Ruggles - do you feel that there's a substantial difference between Lui and Terre d'Hermès? Sounds like it to me. One review seemed to suggest a similarity. If not, this sounds like a nice, strong, retro wood that would fit into an empty spot in my wardrobe.

As to the original question, Tokyo by Kenzo comes across to me as young, but it's a light woody/milky scent that may strike one as strange. The wood scent is the same one as in Bulgari PH, to my nose, but a bit more pronounced. And if ginger is not an OK spice for you, you may want to pass on it. It did not strike me as oriental or overly spicy despite the name and the ginger. But definitely a "try before you buy". There is an interview with the perfumer at http://tokyobykenzo.jp/design/design03.html.

since i think you're mentioning only designer frags.......try on your skin Juicy Couture Dirty English.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I wonder if you have access to Niche scents

If that is the case I recomend Sequoia and 2 men by CdG
    Then I'd recommend Rive Gauche
    Any of the Gucci fragrances
    Visit
    Signoricci

Hehehehe one can only finds designer frags here in Malaysia. No niche frags here. hehehehehe thanks for the suggestions.

Like others have said, give Tumulte a try.

Also try Jack Black Signature Black Mark.

Givenchy Vetiver for vetiver without thrills
    Tumulte PH for cedarwood
    Tam Dao for sandalwood
    Givenchy Gentleman for patchouli
    YSL M7 for Agarwood

Basenotes Institution

Try M7 Fresh by YSL or Vetiver by Guerlain
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    This has great reviews, and some mention of a danger of being discontinued. Ruggles - do you feel that there's a substantial difference between Lui and Terre d'Hermès? Sounds like it to me. One review seemed to suggest a similarity. If not, this sounds like a nice, strong, retro wood that would fit into an empty spot in my wardrobe.
    Beyond the shared cedar note, I think it's a different animal. TdH is much more sour to me. Lui has a really straight forward cedar/bison grass accord, it isn't as complex as TdH. I certainly prefer it over the Hermes.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th June 2008 at 12:27 PM.

What about Salvatore Ferragamo PH? It smells like cedar.

I'd say Etro Mahogany, if you have access to it. It's like being whacked with a freshly sawed 6 foot plank of hardwood, straight in the face, POW POW POW. I hate it, but it's paradise for woodchucks.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

For a pure dark woody scent (designer), try:

Narciso Rodriguez For Him

For a heavy wood scent, it's surprisingly young and fresh.

I agree with mike from manhattan, it sounds like Salvatore Ferragamo is what you want. It's very woody, but not oriental at all. It just smells like ceder with dill to me. Very refreshing.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I'd say Etro Mahogany, if you have access to it. It's like being whacked with a freshly sawed 6 foot plank of hardwood, straight in the face, POW POW POW. I hate it, but it's paradise for woodchucks.
    LOL - I love the imagery t_g_l. Now I want to try this one.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    SOLD! To the marmot in the back with a cowboy hat and a chain saw.

(SLMAO)

This thread is a veritable lumber yard of fine wood. I could go crazy in this place!!!

Have you tried Declaration? It is an amazing woody scent with several flankers. The driest wood ever, I think, is l'Occitaine's Cade. It is pure juniper wood--not the berries, not the greenery, just the wood.

Woods? and only woods? Encre Noir, Body Kouros and Tumulte...no oriental/spicy mix here...straight up dry woods

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Woods? and only woods? Encre Noir, Body Kouros and Tumulte...no oriental/spicy mix here...straight up dry woods
    Body Kouros? Really? I get so much more than wood out of it. A lot of sweetness and some powder, for example. I like it, but I would consider it pretty oriental, and personally would never classify it as "dry." Different people get different things I suppose... always interesting!
    Last edited by whosyourcaddy05; 5th June 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Egoiste Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    since i think you're mentioning only designer frags.......try on your skin Juicy Couture Dirty English.
    I think this guy's got it right.

woody and young with a slight sweetness and a little hint of grass in the middle, Kenneth Cole RSVP...

Quote Originally Posted by whosyourcaddy05 View Post
    Body Kouros? Really? I get so much more than wood out of it. A lot of sweetness and some powder, for example. I like it, but I would consider it pretty oriental, and personally would never classify it as "dry." Different people get different things I suppose... always interesting!
    well...Orientals to me are scents like KL homme, Opium, Dune, Jaipur etc....spicy..to an extent in similar vain as above and scents like basala......i maybe totally wrong in my classification....but i found Body to be very young, non oriental kinds....woods...well i interpreted the notes after midnotes until base to have a woodsy character....in comparison with Encre noir and tumulte, it definitely isnt dry..but certainyl a non oriental one....

thnx for ur inputs though freind.