Code of Conduct

Thread: Equipage

Default Equipage

I recently received some samples from Hermes in New York. One of them contained Terre d'Hermes which I am enjoying. Unfortunately, they did not have the fragrance that I was looking for - Equipage.

What is this one like? I heard that it is an extremely formal scent, and this is a style that I like (my staples in my wardrobe being Creed Bois du Portugal, Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, and Guerlain Vetiver).

Do any companies sell samples of it?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: Equipage

Texican, funny you should ask. I went looking for a sample of this today, and I have a similar love for "dressy" scents. The Perfumed Court sells a variety of sizes from 1mL samples to 8mL sprays of this fragrance. Part of a very large group of samples I ordered today.

Blog Entries

Well, liking Bois du Portugal, Hammam Bouquet or Vetiver wouldn't necessarily translate into liking Equipage. It would still be a safe bet that you would like it. Equipage is more on the spicy aromatic side. Give Aramis 900 a shot. If you enjoy that, its more than likely you would enjoy Equipage.

Thumbs down Re: Equipage

Equipage = Ewwwww.

Off-Scenter

If you haven't found them yet, there are plenty of reviews of Equipage in the Basenotes Directory. Check here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120577.html.

Here's mine:

"Lily-of-the-valley and citrus give Equipage a brisk, but substantial opening, and from there on the scent is extremely clear and firm in structure. The notes are not so much blended as placed alongside one another, shoulder to shoulder. Carnation, moderately indolic jasmine, and conifer sap: each note presents itself, faces forward, and speaks with a distinct voice, though in close harmony with all of its neighbors. There is an overall structure, but the component blocks of scent are still clearly discernable.

The coniferous note at Equipage's heart offsets the smoldering carnation, and this makes the scent more cool and detached and than it might have been. Equipage projects order and proportion, very much like classical architecture. I think of it as gentlemanly, but not arrogant. It offers moderate projection and light sillage as it moves into its powdery drydown. This is my least favorite part of the Equipage experience. I find that the powdery notes tip the scent from the precise balance established by the middle notes, so that Equipage winds up feeling a little fey as it exits. A more forward veriver in the base might have been an effective counterweight, but I don't really smell that here. In the last analysis I think of Equipage as an effective office scent. It's civilized and sophisticated, and it won't raise any eybrows."

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    I recently received some samples from Hermes in New York. One of them contained Terre d'Hermes which I am enjoying. Unfortunately, they did not have the fragrance that I was looking for - Equipage.

What is this one like? I heard that it is an extremely formal scent, and this is a style that I like (my staples in my wardrobe being Creed Bois du Portugal, Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, and Guerlain Vetiver).

Not sure where you live, but you should be able to sample this at a Neiman Marcus or Nordstroms.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Amazing stuff. A single malt Scotch with some carnations thrown in, just for fun. This is what a Creed should smell like. A must have.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th June 2008 at 01:22 PM.

Equipage is so beautiful and sophisticated

If you read the reviews in the fragrance directory you see that Equipage doesn't get much love but that people describe it quite differently. Makes me wonder how many people have given it repeated wearings before reviewing. I love the stuff, although I can see it's an acquired taste. Although the notes are very different, Equipage strikes me as similar to Black Aoud as a composition. In this case floriental elements are balanced against very dry, dark woods. This is a fragrance whose dispassionate brutality has survived a couple advanced degrees and a lots of cocktail party chit-chat. It doesn't seem dated to me.

If I spray it on my hand I don't like it much at all - the carnation doesn't do it for me. But one day I came across it going dirt cheap, said what the heck, and bought it anyway.

Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed wearing it. It's an old style spicy oriental, of the same style as say KL Homme or Egoiste - that I wouldn't mind wearing to the office, unlike the newer style ones like Opium, that are more for going out at night type scents.
    Renato

At first I disliked it, then I liked it, now I adore it!!!
    A wonderfully composed "floriental" pour homme: Carnation and vetiver with a drop of unsweetened amber - marvellously done by the great Guy Robert.

This is a great one!

Really sings in colder weather. Above 60F, forget it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

smeller

It's intriguing that none of the above posts mention pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    It might be "expensive" to some people but you can get a 1ml vial sample of it from ScentedMonkey for $2.99 if you're desperate to try it.

Equipage is my wearin'-a-suit-n'-tie fragrance. It's a true classic - Spicy and Floral with enough 'ooomph' to let people around you know that you are a man to be reckoned with. I was introduced to the fragrance by an ex-boss of mine, she bought me a bottle as an X-mas gift back in the early 90's. She was apparently tired of me wearing Aramis and Krizia on a rotating basis. She had great taste in scents, but poor tastes in men (excluding me of course!).
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Classic spicy piney floral.

It's actually available quite cheaply for a full 100mL bottle - mine was $30 in the fragrance district in NYC, similar prices are seen on eBay.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime