Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default the horror of 4711

i put a dab on my wrist today.....i SERIOUSLY wanted to throw up.

i don't think i've ever smelled a scent so nauseating before........seriously.

even the memory of the scent is making me wanna boot right now! UGH

Default Re: the horror of 4711

granted it's not the most complex scent ever - but I personally find it refreshing, calming and enjoyable. It's not quite Acqua di Parma, and probably only something I'd wear round the house or to the grocery store... but it's pleasant.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

At least it wasn't a massive blowing of money?

I recently had the pleasure (misfortune) of experiencing a similar effect .. with an Ava Luxe scent

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Is it really so black (or white) with fragrances?? Maybe your bottle didn't have the real (fresh) juice! I have yet to gag on a fragrance but apparently it happens often enough - so I don't doubt your word in the least.

My mom used to have a small bottle on her dresser but honestly I can't remember how it smells. (Maybe she didn't reach for it that often.) This thread is yet another reminder that I've got to try this one out.

Nauseating? No, just a terminally boring and laughably short lived eau de cologne. Fine, I suppose, for geriatric German dowagers and college kids on extreme budgets. (What else can you buy by the half gallon, let alone for that price?)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Nauseating? No, just a terminally boring and laughably short lived eau de cologne. Fine, I suppose, for geriatric German dowagers and college kids on extreme budgets. (What else can you buy by the half gallon, let alone for that price?)
    I'd be happy if most "kids" at uni wore 4711 - its far better than the usual stink of sweat you get in summer months. Sometimes a class smells more of a locker room than a class.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

All I have to say is "Farina" (Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille by Roger & Gallet, cheap & excellent, or the original Farina Gegenüber, expensive & excellent).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    ...I suppose, for geriatric German dowagers and college kids on extreme budgets. (What else can you buy by the half gallon, let alone for that price?)
    Anybody who expects 4711 to last misses the whole point of the classical cologne. There are far worse body fresheners than 4711 which is not meant to have a lasting smell at all. The smell of citrus (and rosemary) is usually perceived as refreshing and clean for the short period it is around. It's not the fault of colognes from the 17th - 18th centuries to have become so popular that house cleaners and dishwaters smell similar all over the world now. I agree that there are much better 'eaux' than 4711, but the difference between it and the Farinas, or Guerlain's classical eaux are sometimes overstated. Emphasizing extremes seems to be a must for perfume discussions to stay alive
    Last edited by narcus; 4th June 2008 at 01:07 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I have the same effect when I smell A*Men.

I want to like it, but I just can't get past it.

I find the stuff to be pretty darn vulgar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I find the stuff to be pretty darn vulgar.
    which, to paraphrase Turin, is not a bad thing in itself. But...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    which, to paraphrase Turin, is not a bad thing in itself. But...
    But, you say?
    4711 smells like a cheap souvenir of a mom and pop drugstore from hell.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post

I don't understand your reaction. It's just a faint citrus scent that disappears in 5 minutes. There should be dozens of feminish citrus scents that you'd react worse to than this one.
    Renato

Blog Entries

I enjoy 4711. It wouldn't be an every day frag, but the historical perspective it has in fragrance history is interesting. I find it an acceptable aftershave (certainly better than Royall, but not as refreshing as Trumper's), and there is a cooling/calming effect I get that works nicely on hot days.

In the historical sense, I can definitely see this as a handkerchief frag - it does last longer on cloth and would probably have helped ameliorate some of the more animalistic(?) scents one would encounter throughout the day. Chamber pots, ahoy! And such.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I find it to be a perfectly lovely 'freshener', specially after a shower on a hot summer day. It has been a staple in our home since long before I was born, my grandmother was from Prussia and she instilled a love of it, and I will always have a need for it. It is not meant to be a 'fragrance' per-se, it is a 'pick-me-up' type of product, and let me tell you, it is quite invigorating on a hot day. I personally detest air-conditioning, most french people do as a rule, and it is like quick 'cool-down' for the skin. On a hot summer day I would rather have my jug of 4711, than my Über-priced Djedi, or other Guerlain marvels.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I don't understand your reaction. It's just a faint citrus scent that disappears in 5 minutes. There should be dozens of feminish citrus scents that you'd react worse to than this one.
    Renato
    it's not faint...it's VERY sweet....sweet like some kind of household cleaner mixed with fruit juice mixed with vinegar...it has this odd 'sourness' to it....like something has gone rotten...

it sort of smelled like a garbage bag full of old fruit and oranges!

i dunno. i think alot of people are fascinated by its history and all....i don't care about that, i was just trying the scent out

it's not faint...it's VERY sweet....sweet like some kind of household cleaner mixed with fruit juice mixed with vinegar...it has this odd 'sourness' to it....like something has gone rotten...

it sort of smelled like a garbage bag full of old fruit and oranges!

i dunno. i think alot of people are fascinated by its history and all....i don't care about that, i was just trying the scent out
    Many years ago, when they used to give people refresher towelettes on planes, they used to smell of 4711. I guess that's where I got used to it. I do understand the "sourness" you mention, I just don't find it disagreeable.

Also, tonight 4711 is making a liar out of me. I bought a cheap bottle of it for my wife a while back. So I sprayed some on the back of my hand two hours ago. And it's still there!

Which means that other threads I've written are now incorrect. When I wrote that Neroli Sauvage only outlasts 4711, I was wrong. It now outlasts nothing relative to this bottle of 4711.
    Renato

It is virtually impossible to underestimate the influence of the eau de cologne: The first time that different fragrance oils were mixed into a composition. The first time that they were mixed with a fixative such as musk to make the scent last longer. The first time that they were mixed with alcohol to assist in the evaporation -- and therefore transmission -- of the scent. The creation of the first "category" of fragrance. Hundreds of fragrances, from simple household products, as has already been noted, all the way to super-expensive niche houses, have explored the eau de cologne formula.

I find nothing sour about 4711. I actually prefer it to other, more expensive eaux -- I smelled Caswell-Massey Number 6 last week, for example, and was disappointed at its lack of rose or rosemary in the heart. Like the difference between 2-D and 3-D.

Nevertheless, 4711 is not my favorite eau de cologne. Just about every eau that Guerlain has made is a masterpiece. But, compared to a Guerlain's price, 4711 ain't half bad, and I would certainly like to have both in my wardrobe.

I prefer Berdoues 1902 "Naturelle" Eau de Cologne. It's the same type of scent, but is smoother. 4711 is too sharp to my nose and ends up giving me a headache (which is exactly opposite of what it is supposed to do!).

Sur la Plage

I think 4711 is just fine for what it is and the price that it costs. But I also prefer the Berdoues 1902 EDCs which I can find cheaper.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I third the preference for Berdoues, which I can find for $7.99 per jug.

That said, I have no problem with 4711. Like Hoos, I frequently use it as aftershave. It dies off quickly and I can follow it with a variety of different scents.

Quick...see a Doctor. That is not a normal reaction to fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Quick...see a Doctor. That is not a normal reaction to fragrance.

i am a doctor

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I third the preference for Berdoues, which I can find for $7.99 per jug.
    I am intrigued that three people in a row mentioned this. Where do you get it for $7.99? I only see one place on the internet that has it, and it is fifty dollars.

I get it on the cheap at TJX stores. I bought 3 large (10 oz? more?) bottles, and likely won't ever need to pay for it again.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I am intrigued that three people in a row mentioned this. Where do you get it for $7.99? I only see one place on the internet that has it, and it is fifty dollars.
    I have found the Berdoues 1902 colognes for $7.99 at both Marshalls and TJ Maxx (15+ ounces). Sometimes cheaper if you find it in the clearance section. I have found 4 different scents:

Naturelle
    Lavender
    Green Tea
    Vetiver
    Last edited by petruccijc; 4th June 2008 at 10:23 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

stop letting this man suffer this indignity. Get him some Yatagan!!