Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 7, 2008 ★★★ CITRUS

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~Animalics March 2007~Chypres April 2007~ Florals May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Orientals Feb. 2008~Animalics March 2008~Chypres April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 7, 2008 ★★★ CITRUS

Thank you Quarry for posting links to the previous threads. My first thought was DH's Mugler Cologne, but it's so green and grassy I might want to save it for next month. So I read last year's posts, especially the suggestions of our incomparable listmaker, Miss Moondiva. I think for my SotD I'll borrow DH's 4711 (it is his father's main, possibly only scent), and Shalimar Light for evening. I would never have considered the Shalimar but for Moondiva's list. I received a sample almost a year ago, tried it once, and haven't thought about it since. It's a similar story with 4711. I don't know how old my husband's bottle is, but he tells me that some years ago I removed the cap, smelled the contents, and didn't like it. In the spirit of S'n'S, I'm giving these another go!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

For Citrus SnS, I am wearing Keiko Mecheri

Sanguine

as SotD. In fact, it is true to its name: nothing more and nothing less than orange peel mixed with the slightly bitter smell/taste of blood orange flesh, a pinch of LotV thrown in, all resting on a white musk base. Simple, linear, refreshing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Gonna be hot again here today too...we seem to have gone from Winter to Summer without ever Springing in!!

Perfect culmination for Seven Days of Citrus - the fresh and green-y...

My fave bergamot with a spritz of lime and the lilt of verbena! Aaaahhh!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 7th June 2008 at 12:12 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Orange Spice
    by Creed

Top notes: Bergamot, Mandarin
    Middle notes: Orange, Cinnamon, Clove
    Base notes: Amber, Musk, Tonka

(I know I am stretching the classification here, but
    it is considered a Crisp Citrus-Fruity Soft Oriental )
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Plus

For Citrus SnS I am wearing Carthusia Ligea "La Sirena": mandarin+opoponax=totally delicious.

Have a great day, everyone.
    Terry
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Citrus ?
    OK, I'll play...

Can Chaya come out to play, in MH Cuir d'Oranger ?
    No one in her house likes this, haha.
    [They should count themselves LUCKY, that it ain't Peau d' Espagne, haha .....!]

This baby's got neroli, oakmoss, labdanum,all sorts stuff.
    I likee.
    I'll get the list for ya'all, and repost.
    Need Coffee.
    Need Fioricet.
    Day # 3 of FRIGGING MIGRAINE.

Ok, snackpotatoes:
    Here's dem notes:

Notes: Orange oil from Valencia, pettigrain, orange flowers from Tunisia, jasmin from Egypt, iris absolute, leather with birch tar, Spanish ciste, oak moss and patchouli.

I am wearing the lemon-and-leather classic, Diorella.

(((Chaya)))!!!! A three-day migraine?!? Oy.

For today's Citrus Sniff & Speak I am wearing my latest purchase (speaking of "oy"... ), Caron Alpona. For more on the purchase, see the "June Purchases" thread.

I don't own a lot of citrus-heavy scents, and Alpona was a glorious and unexpected surprise. It's also not a "through and through" citrus, but oh, my, I think it's lovely. Just found out it's being discontinued, and now wish I'd bought a bigger bottle.

Notes: Lemon, grapefruit, bergamot, rose, orange, jasmine, orchid, thyme, patchouli, myrrh, cedar, sandalwood, musk, and oakmoss.

Alpona is one of Caron's "urn" fragrances, created by Caron founder Ernest Daltroff and launched in 1939. Apparently they are called urn fragrances because they are stored in what look to me to be big glass samovars at the Caron Boutiques.

Its thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. Theyre confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, Something is just around the corner, what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers Something is just around the corner, something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

I have not worn it in over a week or more, so today, my beloved Coco Mademoiselle. I know there are lots of people that think it is a very commercial scent but it wears beautifully on me and I totally enjoy it.

Philtre d' Amour - this is possibly the most perfect scent in my wardrobe that is in current production.

Good any time, anywhere, and it very frequently gets compliments of "you smell really good". Kind of a sophisticated Jean Nate, and smells to my nose like a modern chypre.

Here are the notes:

Philtre d’Amour features the notes of mandarin, lemon, bergamot, myrtle, oakmoss, lily, carnation, jasmine, iris, musk, rose, coriander, geranium, sandalwood, amber, patchouli.

ComDiva, so glad you discovered Alpona. Exquisite.

This is by far my favorite citrus that I've worn so far:

Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree

I like this one so much because it smells like a Florida citrus orchard first thing in the morning. The citrus notes here are more reminiscent of the rind, which are a little sharper in character than the usual full-on notes more prevalent in other citrus scents. What really takes this one over the top for me is the balance of different citrus notes without one overwhelming the others. I get lemon, grapefruit, orange all exquisitely combining to give that orchard feel. I've heard this described as Terre D'Hermes older more sophisticated brother but I think that is incorrect. Just because they both share the same grapefruit top note does not make them similar in my mind. TdH is a bright citrus top where Bigarade Concentree is more complex and uncovers its pleasures more slowly. I am a big fan of both but if there was only room for one citrus in my wardrobe this would be the one.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Bigarade concentree is fantastic! One of my favorites in the Malle line. They advertise it as unisex, but I've always thought it would smell so much better on a guy.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Chaya, honey. Life's not fair. No migraines for someone so dear.

I showered with VENEZIA LEMON VERBENA soap ( TWOLF!)

I moisturized with FLORIS OF LONDON CEFIRO lotion.

I powdered with HOVE ELEFTOREA powder.

I splashed on HOVE ELEFTOREA perfume. (Eleftorea is a better O de Lancome)

If you want to smell the best cheap lemon scent, get Bath & Body Works Kitchen Lemon liquid hand soap. IT'S FANTASTIC. It leaves a hint of fragrance on your hands and complements so many other perfume products. Wish I could buy this in fragrance form. One of my favorite smells ever.

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella. The first notes hit like a head-on collision with citrus and anise, then a cold, stone wall, leading into an old shaded garden Damp earth, hot close air, a quiet, lurking danger, breathlessness.

For the evening, it's Profumum

Dulcis in Fundo

I admit it's not really worth the price, but if you are looking for wonderful mixed lemon and orange, and maybe mandarin, top and heart notes which really last and wish for a lush, opulent and un-chemical smelling vanilla drydown, you should try it. Not a particularly refined or elegant scent, but it is extremely comforting and pleasant to smell
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Blog Entries

I'm giving the 4711 Echt Klnisch Wasser a fair shot today. It's nice, just nice. I don't find it uplifting or sparkling as others do, perhaps because I don't have any childhood memories tied to it. I don't find it objectionable. And it is fairly fleeting, though this probably wasn't helped by the new plant bulbs I added to my aquarium this morning.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Dior - Eau Svelte. I am going nuts looking for the notes, but can find nothing Itis a great summer frag that I have had for a long time, Smells like tangy grapefruit to me. Does anyone out there have any info on this sent?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    Dior - Eau Svelte. I am going nuts looking for the notes, but can find nothing Itis a great summer frag that I have had for a long time, Smells like tangy grapefruit to me. Does anyone out there have any info on this sent?
    http://www.perfumemart.com/cgi/perfu...e?;883;froogle
    According to author Jan Moran:
    Scent Type: Floral Fresh- Fruity
    Top Notes: Orange, Rosewood, Violet

It sounds really lovely!

Today I've worn EAU de REGLISSE by Caron, nose Richard Fraysse.

Top notes : Lemon verbena, green mandarin
    Middle notes; Ginger, licorice
    Basenotes: Vanilla, patchouli, nutmeg

It's a strange one, and very likeable. The licorice is there almost from the beginning along with the citrus, and, against expectations, is an attractive note when used sparingly as it is here. I've enjoyed it all day and will use my sample till its last drop. I don't think I would be moved to get a bottle, but I would welcome another sample.
    Last edited by Sestra; 7th June 2008 at 09:36 PM.

Hello from one who doesn't wear much citrus. So far! :-)

Thank you for the "assignment". Today I'm sampling The Different Company's BERGAMOTE. The listed notes are bergamot, ginger, orange flowers, vert-de-feuille (green-leaf), rhubarb, wood and musk. (Have never heard of rhubarb in a fragrance - I wonder what it adds to the whole?!)

The Perfumed Court describes it as a "timeless citrus aromatic fragrance that's citrusy, flowery and woody all at the same time." This seems to describe it pretty well. It's delightful! I can see this fragrance being worn by anyone anywhere, particularly in the summer.

So in the spirit of keeping Samples month alive for me I'm now wearing:

Annick Goutal Eau D'Hadrien

Here the lemon is the forward citrus note leavened with grapefruit. What I am especially enjoying is the emergence of the cypress in the base. I don't know how it stacks up to Quarry's dish soap but it is quite the pleasant lemon scent.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

I wore O by Lancome today - first time from a sample.

I liked it, as I assumed I would. The rind prominent top notes were my favorite part, but the extremely low longevity was expected but ultimately disappointing. I always wanted to try the mens version (O Pour Homme), but never did before it was discontinued.

I was hoping someone on the boards would wear Eau de Rochas and speak about it - it's been on my radar recently, and I wanted to hear what you women think about it?

Tonight SOTE will be: Eau de Hadrien by Annick Goutal - also first time, from a sample (thanks ComDiva).

Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th June 2008 at 12:00 AM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh you all smell good and are so inspiring!
    Chaya - migraine - Oy indeed!
    SMM - I want to go walk in those Floridian orange gorves now
    Therese - you have convinced me there is a classic Dior I might just love.
    ComDiva - delighted you love Alpona, bummer it's been discontinued.
    Mikey - I've been attracted to Eau de Rochas lately too but feel I have too many colognes in my collection to justify getting another one this year. It's wierd that I have a scent twin who is a different gender, living on a different continent. Call Rod Sterling...

Me? Well like a doofus, I forgot again this morning even though I thought hard about what to wear today. The temperature has thankfully dropped enough to make wearing any perfume pleasant, rather than ruling out anything slightly rich, so I took the opportunity to wear Un Bois Vanille. Now that's a devil to layer a citrus onto! But I found one by taking a leaf out of Two Roads' book and going for the spiced orange option: Fendi's Theorema. It shared with UBV a resinous, slightly burnt, even plasticky note that I find a bit challenging when I wear them on their own. Together they are delicious. I have stumbled on a winning combo for Christmas time. (Well it does have that whole Orange/Spice/Woods/Vanilla potpourri vibe going on.)

According to Osmoz.com the notes for Theorema are:
    top note
    Nutmeg, Pepper, Orange, Rosewood
    middle note
    Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Carnation, Cinnamon
    base note
    Labdanum, Patchouli, Sandal, Benzoin siam

This is a rich, deep orange very like the note in Elixir des Merveilles. Indeed, if I get the chance I'll repeat the experiment with the Elixir.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

happy is the bleu heart<3

I don't wear strictly citrus scents too often. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love a bit of a mandarin note now and then, especially as an accent, and I'm starting to really like lime as well ...

For my SOTD, I pulled out my little roll-on bottle of Lavanila Grapefruit Vanilla this morning. It's been quite some time since I wore this beauty, but I think it might get heavier play this summer. Notes include: Grapefruit, Bergamot, Lime, Orange, Cedarwood, Heliotrope, Madagascar Vanilla.

This is the perfect blend of tart, juicy grapefruit and sweet, rich vanilla. Gourmandy, yes; but refreshing too. Interesting blend. I wish I had bought the spray bottle instead of the roll-on.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

My beloved Ferre 20 has a bit of mandarin in it so I wore 20 this evening. Stayed home all day, was glorious just to finally have a quiet day.

I wear several Citrus past week, 2 sample vials, went to shop for some, the nice lady special filled up a vial sample to try CK One, and few minis, now and than buy some to find new favorites. Don't have any bottle of Citrus, so been searching what I love the most to add to my collection.
    I wear on saterday:
    CK One, Calvin Klein. Nice at start than bit disappointing, had expect more of it, and went away quick.
    Topnotes: Bergamot Lemon Mandarin GreenNote
    Middlenote: Jasmine LilyotValley Rose Orris
    Basenote: Sandal Cedar Amber Oakmoss

Others I wear past week to find a favorite, hope is o kay to mention a few more.
    Eau De Cartier, Cartier. After the citrus smell of the start I kept a very nice soft smell for hours. Love it and goes on my wishlist.

O de Lancome, Lancome. Very citrus at began, I like and soft ends, doesn't last as long as I remembered. Have had befor and still like to get again.

Eau The Vert, Bulgari. Soft citrus note at start, than hardly nothing to smell, not much of a kind for me.

Eau Parfum Extreme Bulgari, Very citrus-green at start, sharp after but not much doing for me, end in soft scent.

Eau Frache Bulgari, Very fresh citrus notes at start, smells bit fruity too, nice fresh light middle note than goes quick, didn't find this at sites nor at BaseNotes directory.
    Would buy, if I can find one.

To find Citrus Fragraces I looked at osMoz and Michael Fragrance Directory.
    Where do you ladies go to find Fragrance Families?

Hi Ydee and a belated welcome!!

If you go to the first post on this thread, Quarry has a link to previous posts for each category of SnS. Moondeva usually posts a very comprehensive list of fragrances in each family.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Thank you Quarry and S'n'S Citrus Day for reminding me about Shalimar Light! I wore it last night and loved it. I'm usually not a big fan of straightforward citrus, but it's so creamy and dreamy, and when the heart florals come forward it really shines. I will definitely enjoy using up the rest of my sample and not forget about it again!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Thank you Quarry and S'n'S Citrus Day for reminding me about Shalimar Light! I wore it last night and loved it. I'm usually not a big fan of straightforward citrus, but it's so creamy and dreamy, and when the heart florals come forward it really shines. I will definitely enjoy using up the rest of my sample and not forget about it again!
    Coolio! Until '08 I struggled to appreciate citrus, but tastes and experiences do change things. Still working on what you folks get out of oud , but I believe you when you swoon.
    Last edited by Quarry; 8th June 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Sorry I'm late.
    My citrus for the weekend was Off bug spray.

Now wearing an actual fragrance - Ayala Moriel's Arsenal

Gin and tonic with lots of lime. The lime and quinine become more dominant as it dries down.
    Doesn't last very long - maybe an hour or two, but one of my favorite citrus scents.

BTW - She's reformulating this one.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Sorry for the late contribution to the thread! In the last few days, I have worn the following citrus-y scents.

Chanel Eau de Cologne (edt, les Exclusifs)
    Notes: neroli, bergamot, citrus, musk, vetiver

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta (edc and shower gel)
    Notes: orange, bergamot, verbena, cardamom, pink pepper, pimento, jasmine, ylang ylang, rose, wild orchid, cedar, aromatic Thai resins, patchouli, white musk and amber

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic (edt)
    Notes: Orange Blossom, White Peony, Green Tea, Ivy, Roman Chamomile, Mandarin, Basil, Amber, Sandalwood

It has been very hot here--I am in the northeast heatwave. Although we have a bit of tempering from lake Ontario, it is still in the mid 90's, and very humid. The lighter citrus formulations have been working very well in this weather, and I have noticed that the humidity allows the typically short-lived scents to linger a bit longer. Acqua di Parma lasted around 8 hours; Chanel Cologne lasted for about 5 hours; AA Mandarine-Basilic lasted about 6 hours.

As far as character goes, the Mandarine-Basilic is the most tart of the three, although it has a sweet and soft drydown. Acqua di Parma is the sweetest scent of the three, and it stays sweet throughout. Chanel Cologne is more crisp at the start, and dries down to a sweet, clean musk. Of the three, Colonia Assoluta is definitely the heaviest--in fact, the edc designation is quite misleading!

The heat wave in my area continues over the next couple of days, so I will probably be trying more citrus. Then, unfortunately, I must pack everything up for my relocation

EDIT:

Today's citrus fragrance is

Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess
    Notes: coconut milk, sandalwood, vanilla, vetiver, myrrh, amber, mandarin, bergamot, lemon, orange, tiare flower, jasmine, magnolia, orange blossom and lavender

This is much more tropical than the other three scents I have worn in the last few days (the previous ones being much more in the classic cologne style). The citrus is quite muted in comparison, and the coconut milk and vanilla much more prominent on first application. In previous wearings of this scent, it had great longevity (8 hours). A great warm weather scent which is also very comforting for me.
    Last edited by Asha; 9th June 2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Adding one more citrus fragrance

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    For my SOTD, I pulled out my little roll-on bottle of Lavanila Grapefruit Vanilla this morning. It's been quite some time since I wore this beauty, but I think it might get heavier play this summer. Notes include: Grapefruit, Bergamot, Lime, Orange, Cedarwood, Heliotrope, Madagascar Vanilla.

This is the perfect blend of tart, juicy grapefruit and sweet, rich vanilla. Gourmandy, yes; but refreshing too. Interesting blend. I wish I had bought the spray bottle instead of the roll-on.
    I just loved Grapefruit Vanilla when I smelled it - it sounds weird but the combination was like a grapefruit, sprinkled with sugar and vanilla extract and then heated in a stove. Very comforting. Unltimately I gave my bottle of it to my niece, who wore it better than I did.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi everybody... I posted a question about grapefruit fragrances maybe two years ago. Now that I've graduated, I finally have the resources to start getting into this stuff!

For the past week I've been wearing a very small amount of Molton Brown Black Pepper under Acqua Allegoria Pamplelune. I love it. The Black Pepper adds a nice..something to the grapefruit, and the effect is not too feminine (though I'd say the fruitiness keeps me from smelling like a guy).

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

mossaia, welcome back! Hope you'll post more frequently than once every two years. I'm sure we can provoke you to "invest" your new-found resources in a variety of fragrances.