Code of Conduct

Thread: New samples!!!

Smile New samples!!!

I got 7 new samples in spray vials yesterday! It put a smile on my face. I received:

1. Dirty English
    2. Usher
    3. Paul Smith Story
    4. Versace Man
    5. Escada Meagnetism
    6. Boucheron
    7. Terre D'Hermes

So far I've tried Terre D'Hermes and Escada Magnetism. Terre D'Hermes may be the most agreeable scent I have come across in a long time, so earthy and natural, with orange spiked in just right.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Default Re: New samples!!!

Agree with you on Terre D'Hermes, to me it's brilliantly blended. I love that orange note shining in Bangkok heat.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    I got 7 new samples in spray vials yesterday! It put a smile on my face. I received:

1. Dirty English
    2. Usher
    3. Paul Smith Story
    4. Versace Man
    5. Escada Meagnetism
    6. Boucheron
    7. Terre D'Hermes

So far I've tried Terre D'Hermes and Escada Magnetism. Terre D'Hermes may be the most agreeable scent I have come across in a long time, so earthy and natural, with orange spiked in just right.
    I'm confused. You're trying to get rid of two great scents. Beyond Paradise and M7 while trying to sample 7 vials of garbage.

Sur la Plage

Hi Danho -

Glad to see you are happy about your samples arriving. Please let us know what YOU think about them after you have sampled them.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 4th June 2008 at 05:44 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Of your list, I've smelled:

Dirty English - tried 4 times to like this (twice on my skin), but that B.O. note makes me gag every time.

Usher - smelled like something a teenager would wear, but I could be projecting based on the name.

Boucheron - Which one?
    Last edited by baudilus; 4th June 2008 at 05:12 PM.

1. Dirty English
    Love it. The cedar note is quite predominant.

2. Usher
    More like "Ugh"-er

3. Paul Smith Story
    Beautiful citrus.

4. Versace Man
    Haven't had the chance to sample but heard good things.

5. Escada Meagnetism
    This is awesome. Vanilla Coke

6. Boucheron
    I'll assume it's the lemony pour Homme. Classy yet cloying but I don't like it that much.

7. Terre D'Hermes
    Overrated yet well-blended. I don't like this one either.

what about the new versace ???

I tried the Escada Magnetism today. Not what I had expected.....this is way better than I thought it would be. The vanilla-y coke-ish scent is great. Longevity is great. I kept getting whiffs of myself today that made me say "damn something in here smells good." It was me. But the scent I was catching when I moved around was quite different than the one I got when I smelled where I had sprayed. Good stuff
    Don't Smell the Flowers,

I own a full bottle of Versace Man. It's nice enough - I got it as a present. It's a bit too sharp for me and it seems to smell of Orange - loads and loads of orange (even though this isn't one of the notes).

Others around me seem to like it though - and I'm quite ok with the fragrance...
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I own a full bottle of Versace Man. It's nice enough - I got it as a present. It's a bit too sharp for me and it seems to smell of Orange - loads and loads of orange (even though this isn't one of the notes).

Others around me seem to like it though - and I'm quite ok with the fragrance...
    A

and

Today I tried Versace Man. Very nice! I must say that I like this a lot...there's something about it that my nose really enjoys. I don't get loads of orange as some have said. It's lasted a pretty long time too (5 hrs so far). I will definitely consider buying this and Escada Magnetism. If anyone has one of those two and wants M7 or Beyond Paradise, pm me please.

I will continue, one a day, trying the others and updating you on my thoughts.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,

I recently tried the new Versace and to me it is Acqua di Gio. It started out acquatic-citrus, but after a few hours in humid weather, I kept getting di Gio on my skin. I got home and sniffed my bottle of di Gio and yep, it was right on. What a pity.

Anyone else get this reaction?
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Versace Man sucks! get an FFFFFFIIIIIIINNNNGGGG Life all ready>

Blog Entries

1. Dirty English
    2. Usher
    3. Paul Smith Story
    4. Versace Man
    5. Escada Meagnetism
    6. Boucheron
    7. Terre D'Hermes

Dirty English - didn't impress me in the store, but I've seen a few people here who were impressed, so I'll at least try a sample.

Usher - tried a sample, and am apalled to report that I loved the drydown. It's YANS (yet another nothing scent), and I rolled my eyes at the topnotes, but it has this weak but velvety base accord that had me sniffing my wrist all day. lt can't compete with many other scents on my wish list, but it made me happy for a couple of days. What can I say? It smells damn nice when you nuzzle up against the skin. Competently done for the market it seeks (father's day gift to boyfriend, so he'll stop wearing <whatever>).

Paul Smith Story - never tried it, but beautiful citrus sounds real good right now.

Versace Man - this is now on the try list, too. But if it's Gio - sorry - got that wife gift already .

Escada Magnetism - well, heck. Vanilla coke is like a religion around here. Gonna have to get me some.

Boucheron - if it's lemony and cloying, no thanks. I can get that oiling furniture and firearms.

Terre d'Hermès - possibly my fragrance soulmate. I want to be buried with a full bottle. I agree that it could be overrated - it's not a revolutionary classic, just classy. I have never tired of it from the moment I tried it.

I would love to trade away your M7, but I don't have anything you want or need - sorry.

Thanks for the interesting thread. My lists have been revised accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    I recently tried the new Versace and to me it is Acqua di Gio. It started out acquatic-citrus, but after a few hours in humid weather, I kept getting di Gio on my skin. I got home and sniffed my bottle of di Gio and yep, it was right on. What a pity.

Anyone else get this reaction?

the new versace pour homme " blue " ??? or the purple VERSACE man,??? check the notes , and we cant think that is a citrus/aquatic fragance. maybe we are cofusing fragances..

top note
    Bergamot, Orange Leaf, Neroli, Diamante Cedar

middle note
    Geranium, Sclary Sage, Hyacinth, Cedar Wood

base note
    Oud Wood, Amber, Tonka Bean, Musks

^ Offcourse it is new "Versace Pour Homme", which is reminiscent of Allure Sport and is in the same vein as many aquatics.
    Versace Man, is a nice oriental spicy, but honestly I would prefer Escada Magnetism! And Magnetism hasn't anything to do with Vanilla! Its a beautiful complex combinatation of woods(Sandal, Cedar), Musk and spices.
    About the citrus samples: while Boucheron Pour Homme is pretty old fashioned, Paul Smith Story is a nice daytime scent.
    Last edited by msi_21; 6th June 2008 at 10:08 AM.

The Versace Man (thats right MAN not pour homme) was terrific. Today's test is Paul Smith Story. Beautiful citrus describes it wonderfully. It is similar to the Versace Man I tried yesterday, but still very different. It is good but does not pique my interest as much as Versace Man or Escada Magnetism. Still, it is a quality scent that smells less like cologne or perfume than the others. Its nice with no chance of offending anybody (may have to buy it because my fiancee doesn't appreciate stout cologne).
    Don't Smell the Flowers,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Versace Man sucks! get an FFFFFFIIIIIIINNNNGGGG Life all ready>
    What is your problem? You've been really disagreeable as of late and that's not contributing anything.

Good reports so far, I really like Dirty English, didn't care for Usher very much, and I'm in a love/hate relationship with TdH.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    What is your problem? You've been really disagreeable as of late and that's not contributing anything.

Good reports so far, I really like Dirty English, didn't care for Usher very much, and I'm in a love/hate relationship with TdH.
    The reason I'm disagreeing of lately is because so many threads seem to be talking about McDonald's, Wendy's, Carl's Junior, Jack in the Box and I want to talk about cutting edge real perfumes, not wannabe mass marketed garbage. I'm not attacking any individuals, only crappy frags. We basenoter's are a cut above and should act like we have something in common. We need to stop talking about shit frags.

Escada Magnetism is a very unique fragrance indeed. I get a lot of cola at the top (the sweet syrup, fizzies, and even the smell of the can) mixed with this weird synthetic grape-ish thing that for some reason really works. It totally caught me off guard and weirded me out for a brief moment when I first tried it. It dries down to a luscious and inviting drydown, keeping the metallic note going ever so slightly in the background for almost the entire long ride. Love it.

Blog Entries

The reason I'm disagreeing of lately is because so many threads seem to be talking about McDonald's, Wendy's, Carl's Junior, Jack in the Box and I want to talk about cutting edge real perfumes, not wannabe mass marketed garbage. I'm not attacking any individuals, only crappy frags. We basenoter's are a cut above and should act like we have something in common. We need to stop talking about shit frags.
    elit·ism (i-ˈlē-ˌti-zəm): the selectivity of the elite; especially : snobbery <elitism in choosing new members>

Just because you pay $100+ an ounce for a solution of chemicals born in Paris, and someone else pays $20 an ounce for a different though highly similar (compositionally) solution, does not make you a better person. It means you have more disposable income.

See, if you need to get a niche discussion going, there is in fact a button at the top of the page in Male Fragrance that reads "New Thread". And many of the veterans here, I'm sure, will take you up on the discussion. But there's no need to interject into someone else's thoughts and tell them to "get an FFFFFFIIIIIIINNNNGGGG Life all ready>", which to me does sound like an attack to the person and not to any particular fragrance.

My apologies to the OP, let us know what you think of the rest of the fragrances. If you get a chance, try Dirty English in the heat, it adds some new, very nice notes (a smoke note that I never noticed before and what could very well be amber in the base).
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

So, I tried two more samples over the weekend: Boucheron PH (edt) and Dirty English.

Dirty English: Where to start? I can't wear this....plain and simple. My thoughts while wearing "Why do I smell like smoked, burning ham? Oh yeah...Dirty English." It was just too smoky for me, more like smoked meat. The base of it wasn't all that bad, in fact, I liked the base. But, that strange smoked meat smell never disappeared. This was the worst sample of the lot yet for me.

Boucheron: Uh oh...I thought Dirty English was the worst. Not so fast. This is an OVERWHELMING lemon-citrus burst. The citrus was way too bright and cheery, and the underlying notes dark and musky. I can also see how people would like it, but not me. It's just too much of that "HERE I AM!!! SMELL ME" for my taste.If I want citrus, Paul Smith Story is FAR SUPERIOR to this, as a scent and is something I will actually use and enjoy. This was worse, for me, than Dirty English. If you are a custodian and use lemon scented spray to clean stuff...just substitute this and no one could tell the difference, except that this is powerful.
    Last edited by danho; 9th June 2008 at 03:46 PM.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,

Tomorrow I will try Usher. And I will rank the 7 samples from best to worst.

Also, I should be getting new samples of Allure and TM Cologne. Will let you know how they go.

By the way, for THEBECK, I happen to enjoy designer fragrances. I am a graduate student in Molecular Biology, and these frags are affordable, available, and don't usually require try after try to appreciate them. When I want something that is a challenge to enjoy, I go buy complicated thrash, death, and power metal to listen to. Your opinion is not valued on this thread.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,

We basenoter's are a cut above and should act like we have something in common. We need to stop talking about shit frags.
    I'm with Bluesoul.
    I may be wrong, but I thought Basenotes was about enjoying fragrance and not, about "enjoying fragrances which have aproval of mr. the beck". Who do you think you are to decide what's crap and whats not ,anyway? Speak for yourself and try to respect those who have another taste than you for a change.

"We Basenoters are a cut above the rest"? LOL! Give me a break!
    That's exactley what Basenotes is NOT about in my opinion.

back on topic:
    Terre d'Hermes and Boucheron are great classics in my opinion. Haven't sampled the Dirty English yet.
    Last edited by eric; 9th June 2008 at 04:20 PM.

Boucheron is the first cologne I have ever actually had to wash off. I had tried it a few weeks before at DIllards, and thought it was ok. But Sunday, it just screamed at me to be washed away.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,

Rock on and wear whatever makes you happy (or the hot man/woman/UFO you want to play with with happy). Here are my thoughts though:

1. Dirty English

Boring weak fragrance made to advertise the JUICY brand with. Weak woods unravel an uninteresting ragrance.

2. Usher

About as enjoyable and complex as his music (I love R & B, Usher is not an R&B artist he's a joke).

3. Paul Smith Story

Cloying chemical fragrance, stuffy fruits with musk.

4. Versace Man (not the Purple one)

I dislike the house of Versace. I don't like their scents (save Dreamer which I adore) or their gaudy clothes. Versace Man was a pleasant surprise. Crisp invigorating fragrance that lasts and is subtle for Versace at least.

5. Escada Magnetism

Colorful tart scent that loses all facets and turns flat in hours.

6. Boucheron

Classy fresh lemon woods. Good if you're over 70 years old and on a pacemaker.

7. Terre D'Hermes

I personally don't like it but it's a well composed scent, earthy thick and rich. Hermes just can't do wrong it seems.

Cheers,
    Al

With regards to your comment on Versace Man, I have to disagree - it is quite a nice fragrance and I enjoy wearing it.

As for "wannabe mass marketed garbage" - if you mean anything which is non-niche, then I'm sorry to disappoint you but most people here actually do enjoy non-niche fragrances. Some of them, in fact, may actually be better than niche fragrances themselves. Not everyone can foot a huge bill to get niche perfumes shipped to them. Does that mean we're beneath those who can?
    A

and

I have not seen one single thread talking about McDonald's, Wendy's, Carl's Junior or Jack in the Box - plugging them into the search function does not throw up any results. Could you please advise where you saw these talked about?

Also, it would seem unreasonable in normal life to barge into someone's discussion, tell them that you don't like what they are talking about, and then demand that they talk about what you want them to talk about. Could you please advise why do you think it is reasonable to do so here?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th June 2008 at 07:09 PM.

Carl's Junior was voted best hamburger by phood.com and CityBest, OVER fancy restaurant burgers. Just phood 4 fought.

Cheers,
    Al

Go on Renato, now do your search.

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    Carl's Junior was voted best hamburger by phood.com and CityBest, OVER fancy restaurant burgers. Just phood 4 fought.

Cheers,
    Al

Go on Renato, now do your search.
    Mmmm - I love hamburgers. Let's hope Carl opens franchises down here.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Mmmm - I love hamburgers. Let's hope Carl opens franchises down here.
    Renato

Beats meatpies no?

Boucheron is the first cologne I have ever actually had to wash off. I had tried it a few weeks before at DIllards, and thought it was ok. But Sunday, it just screamed at me to be washed away.

Yes. I had that same reaction initially! Several tries later and I can tolerate it staying on my skin but I still don't love it in any way. Don't even ask me why I tried it over and over again....! I guess I just wanted a challenge. :-) BTW, there is an EdP of this as well. Oy.

Carl's Jr. rocks. White Castle is even better.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post

Beats meatpies no?
    Yes...... and no. After I open it up and throw away the tomatoes, scrape off any ketchup, add salt - that looks like one hell of a hamburger. Though I have found a shop that makes them somewhat akin to that one - but I have to drive 20km to get to it.

But some days, no matter how good the hamburgers, it's hard to resist the lure of a tasty meat pie/steak pie/ steak &onion pie/steak and mushroom pie/ steak, cheese and bacon pie - providing it's at the right temperature and has some salt in it.

Whenever I come back fom overseas, the first thing I do is open the fridge and through the pies and french fries in the oven.
    Renato

So, I backed out on trying the Usher sample today. Instead I picked out an Armani Code sample I picked up a while back. This a truly mellow fragrance. This could be used in any mood and in any situation. The olive flower is lovely and this scent is very well blended. No one note overpowers or gets lost. I can understand why this is such a hot seller. My fiancee really liked this one (and I guess thats pretty important) as did I. I expected bland crap, like Aqua di Gio, but this is a very good fragrance. It smells similar to Ed Hardy, but doesn't have an odd orange note in it and is MUCH better balanced. Overall, my rankings go like this

1. Terre d'Hermes.
    2. Escada Magnetism
    3. Paul Smith Story
    4. Versace Man
    5. Armani Code
    6. Dirty English
    7. Boucheron
    Don't Smell the Flowers,

Man.. you should check out Mos Burger if you drop by here or visit Japan. It's a Japanese burger chain -- crazy inventive people that make "innovative" burgers that taste awesome. (e.g. Rice Burgers) Sugoi! They also should get the award for "Biggest Tomato in a Burger." Here, have some pictures:

Okay, sorry for hijacking the thread for a while there.
    I agree with you Danho, I'd say that TdH and Magnetism are both bottle-worthy purchases!

Becareful with TdH though, a spray too many and you will start smelling like toilet cleaner fluid. Also, I find it much more difficult to wear than Magnetism.

Have you thought about what you're going to sample next yet?
    Last edited by moltening; 10th June 2008 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Man.. you should check out Mos Burger if you drop by here or visit Japan. It's a Japanese burger chain -- crazy inventive people that make "innovative" burgers that taste awesome. (e.g. Rice Burgers) Sugoi! They also should get the award for "Biggest Tomato in a Burger." Here, have some pictures:

I really like the looks of that Mos burger - especially as I could open it up and throw out the tomato in one action, without having to fiddle around as I do now - often using a drinkig straw as a skewer to get the slices out.
    Renato

P.S. - Sorry about this digression in your thread Danho. When are you going to try the CSP one, by the way?

We have a really good burger restraunt called Grill'd in Australia but yeah... Mos burgers are pretty unbeatable. You shouldn't even be calling them fast food I recon.

Quote Originally Posted by charlielu View Post
    We have a really good burger restraunt called Grill'd in Australia but yeah... .
    We do?
    Where is it, please?
    Renato

Blog Entries

So, I backed out on trying the Usher sample today. Instead I picked out an Armani Code sample I picked up a while back. This a truly mellow fragrance. This could be used in any mood and in any situation. The olive flower is lovely and this scent is very well blended. No one note overpowers or gets lost. I can understand why this is such a hot seller. My fiancee really liked this one (and I guess thats pretty important) as did I. I expected bland crap, like Aqua di Gio, but this is a very good fragrance. It smells similar to Ed Hardy, but doesn't have an odd orange note in it and is MUCH better balanced. Overall, my rankings go like this

1. Terre d'Hermes.
    2. Escada Magnetism
    3. Paul Smith Story
    4. Versace Man
    5. Armani Code
    6. Dirty English
    7. Boucheron
    I'm with you, I really like Code, it's quite versatile. Suffice it to say you didn't miss much with Usher. Hate to hear DE didn't work out for you, some people just don't go for it and that's how it is will all of this stuff. I'll have to remember to look for Escada Magnetism.

Cheers.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp