Code of Conduct

Default Terre D'Hermes for women -- or a similar fragrance?

Does anyone think that Terre D'Hermes is suitable for a woman to wear? I love the scent -- it's sheer, not overly sweet, no musk -- just wonderful. But it does seem a touch too masculine for me.

Can anyone recommend a fragrance that is similar in spirit to Terre D'Hermes and is suitable for a woman to wear?

Thanks! Any suggestions appreciated.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Terre D'Hermes for women -- or a similar fragrance?

I think it smells wonderful on a woman. In fact, at the Hermes counter in Neimans many months ago a woman who was shopping asked me the very same question...she was trying to decide between Eau des Merveilles, Un Jardin sur le Nil and the Mediteranee. I was standing nearby and she asked me which one I thought smelled better on a woman. I told her to try Terre de Hermes. She gave me the weirdest look...but the SA handed her the bottle and she sprayed some on. She ended up loving it, and bought TdH.

Wear what you love kess - you can never go wrong with that! Welcome to Basenotes.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 4th June 2008 at 09:17 PM.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think TdH is perfectly suitable for a woman...but if you want something similar, try Celine Ellena's Sel de Vetiver for The Different Company.
    Currently wearing: Oud Stars : Gao by Xerjoff

I have been debating this myself. I like it on me but it is a little masculine. Maybe I'll buy it for my husband and use it myself on occasion!

Thanks, I'll have to try Sel de Vetiver. I'm debating purchasing Terre D'Hermes -- still undecided!

There are quite a few Vetiver based scents for women, if Terre is too butch try Chanel 19 or Lauder's Aliage, both have that sharp iciness about them!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I think TdH is perfectly suitable for a woman...but if you want something similar, try Celine Ellena's Sel de Vetiver for The Different Company.
    My wife and I are becoming Hermès junkies. She also likes TdH, but generally lets me wear it, and I like Nil, but generally on her. But if the one would not wear it for the other, we would do so ourselves, most surely. We love to coordinate our scents.

Sel is a good call, loved by both men and women. Another one by The Different Company, which is a woody scent (like TdH) but with a more refined wood, and violets instead of orange, is Un Parfum des Sens et Bois. Both my wife and I like that one.

Masculine and feminine fragrances are, in my opinion, outmoded concepts that we can best get rid of by violating them. The sampler from The Different Company, where all fragrances are unisex and designed with everyone in mind, was truly liberating for me. Basenotes in general has helped me to start wearing what I feel like, and not what I feel (often wrongly) that others might like me to wear.

I love this scent, and I don't think of it as too masculine wear. It's so beautiful, the men can't have it all to themselves!

Perhaps the TdH layered with one of the Jardins or Kelly Caleche might fem it up?

I think you should find a way to comfortably wear the TdH if you enjoy it so!

Now that I'm in Florida for a while...I was poking around my mother's and stepfather's dresser tops (nosy me - I was curious to see what they're wearing). Lo and behold he has a bottle of Terre d'Hermes, so I could reacquaint my sniffer. I do really love this fragrance, but I also think it's a bit masculine. I wear masculine fragrances sometimes, but not as a rule. I think the original Halston (now available in drugstores) is a women's scent that is similar in feel. But I think Halston could easily be worn by a man too.

Ok, after spraying Terre D'Hermes this morning, I've changed my mind. I don't think this is particularly masculine. It's a delightfully cooling scent that anyone can wear, especially in this summer swelter. It's not wearing as woodsy on me today as I recall (probably due to the weather). It's pretty much genderless, I think, could be one of the Jardins. And Halston is way more masculine.

I tried Terre d'Hermes on me, and while I like to rock a men's scent from time to time, I found it overbearing on me. (And darn it, my husband just doesn't wear scent - I can coax him into something light, but this would be overwhelming on him. And it's definitely swoonworthy stuff.)

This afternoon, I finally got to try Un Jardin Apres la Mousson, and I found a lot of what I liked in TdH, lightened up and with the melon underneath. (I've read a lot of reviews decrying the cantaloupe, but it was no where near as prominent as the coriander on me. And it lasted for about eight hours, despite reviews saying it disappears.) So... give that a shot if it's near you.

Quote Originally Posted by dewey eyed View Post
    I tried Terre d'Hermes on me, and while I like to rock a men's scent from time to time, I found it overbearing on me. (And darn it, my husband just doesn't wear scent - I can coax him into something light, but this would be overwhelming on him. And it's definitely swoonworthy stuff.)

This afternoon, I finally got to try Un Jardin Apres la Mousson, and I found a lot of what I liked in TdH, lightened up and with the melon underneath. (I've read a lot of reviews decrying the cantaloupe, but it was no where near as prominent as the coriander on me. And it lasted for about eight hours, despite reviews saying it disappears.) So... give that a shot if it's near you.
    I've tried Terre d'Hermes a couple of more times and I did end up finding it too masculine, so I don't think I'll be purchasing it.

I'll have to try Jardin Apres La Mousson -- I've not seen it in my local Sephora. Parfum des Sens et Bois also sounds like a must try!

Thanks for the suggestions!