Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default New Classic Limited Edition by Banana Republic

In August Banana Republic releases Classic Limited Edition, an Eau de Parfum version of the 1995 Classic fragrance (which is an EdT).

This version was done by Laurent LeGuernec (Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker, Park Avenue by Bond No. 9 and Rain by Marc Jacobs - to name a few).

Classic Limited Edition will be released only at Banana Republic stores and www.bananarepublic.com from mid-August through the end of December. Marketed alongside the current Classic, it will retail for $48 or 100 mL

Fashion Week Daily reports on the full story here.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

Default Re: New Classic Limited Edition by Banana Republic

Thanks Mike. Should be interesting to sample. I always liked the original BR Classic. I had a mini of it but my partner "borrowed" it from me, and I never saw it again.....
    Last edited by petruccijc; 6th June 2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks Mike.....I do like to keep up with these private labels that's for sure. I sampled a couple scents at my Aveda store and liked them alot. I will have to sample again to really give them the true test.
    Thanks again for the update.
    Gary

Nice bottle! I though the Classic EdT wasn't half bad. I will look for this one since I have a BR across the street.

I always like this scent but it saddly faded too quickly on the skin.

Basenotes Institution

The original Classic was the scent that my husband owned, when I met him. I have a distinct memory of walking into his bathroom and noticing the bottle on the counter. Of course I did what any Basenoter would do: sprayed some on. Little did I know that this man would become such a big part of my life. Somehow the scent of Classic is intertwined with this memory and the fragrance makes me very happy when I smell it. An EdP version of it sounds exciting.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

All of the BR scents that I have tried disappear quickly on my skin - don't invest in them.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    An EdP version of it sounds exciting.
    Definitely - thanks for the tip. For me, the only fault of BR scents (particularly Slate) is just a bit of anemia, but what's there is great. EdP could be just the thing. My wife loves BR (and the clothes look great on her), so it's no trouble getting in there. Something to look forward to!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Definitely - thanks for the tip. For me, the only fault of BR scents (particularly Slate) is just a bit of anemia, but what's there is great. EdP could be just the thing. My wife loves BR (and the clothes look great on her), so it's no trouble getting in there. Something to look forward to!
    I do not like any other Banana republic scent. Only Classic.

-- Eckhart Tolle

The original Classic was the scent that my husband owned, when I met him. I have a distinct memory of walking into his bathroom and noticing the bottle on the counter. Of course I did what any Basenoter would do: sprayed some on. Little did I know that this man would become such a big part of my life. Somehow the scent of Classic is intertwined with this memory and the fragrance makes me very happy when I smell it. An EdP version of it sounds exciting.
    That's really sweet actually
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Yes! This is pretty exciting! I have always been a fan of BR Classic, but when I used to wear it, some days my skin would turn it a bit bitter. I also remember one of my former coworkers used to wear it all the time and it smelled fabulous on her. To have it in EDP is exciting, and maybe it won't turn to that slight bitterness on me? I now am hoping they will release Black Walnut in EDP sometime in the future. I actually happen to really like that a lot.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, Mike!

Cheers,
    Joseph

I like Black Walnut and Slate.

Slate, to my nose, carries some similarities to Eau de Cartier and Armani Mania.

Lasting power is yet to be determined.

Basenotes Institution

Crashing Banana Republic's Fragrance Luncheon - mini article on the NYT blog here: http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ance-luncheon/

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I like Black Walnut and Slate.

Slate, to my nose, carries some similarities to Eau de Cartier and Armani Mania.

Lasting power is yet to be determined.
    I agree on the black walnut front - it's really lovely, I just wouldn't invest in a bottle.

Is this currently available and has anyone tried the edp?

@ mikeperez23, have you tried Black Walnut from BR? This is a nice one. It reminds me of Calvin Klein Man, but better blended
    Last edited by P-Natra; 13th August 2008 at 02:53 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Is this currently available and has anyone tried the edp?
    I haven't been in a BR store recently - I'll ask my friend who is a BR store manager if he's seen (or smelled) it. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    @ mikeperez23, have you tried Black Walnut from BR? This is a nice one. It reminds me of Calvin Klein Man, but better blended
    I have tried Black Walnut - I didn't like it.

I sampled all the BR fragrances last month, I found Black Walnut to be eerily similar to John Varvatos (anyone else think so?). Cordovan was ok, I didn't like Slate at all, and Classic was nice but not distinguishable enough from other fragrances to warrant a purchase.

I don't know if they still have them, but when I was there they were selling 7.5ml minis, 2 for $15 (so I picked up Black Walnut and Cordovan).

I haven't been in a BR store recently - I'll ask my friend who is a BR store manager if he's seen (or smelled) it. Thanks for the reminder.
    Stores should have had testers shipped to them more than a week ago.

black walnut is pretty good......smokyness mixed in with sweet almonds......however it has no longevity at all and no sillage......None
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

BR here in Memphis has received the Classic Limited Edition EDP. I will sniff it at lunch after I get a haircut.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 14th August 2008 at 03:54 PM.

So I go by the Banana Republic by my office today and not only do they not have it but 3-4employees, including the managers had no clue that there was a Limited Classic coming to them.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

How dumb!

The new scent is up on the BR website
    http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...n.do?cid=17064

and the site states the edp is more feminine. Awesome BR, just market yourself out of many sales.
    Oh, and the frag is only listed under 'for her' on the site, you cannot get to it by navigating to frags 'for him'. Idiots!!! Just sale your khakis and white shirts and stay out of the frag business already!! LOL.

I am wearing now and although it is a little more floral, I cannot see it as anything but solid unisex.
    They even have it only on the women's side of the store, hence, why I couldn't find it and had to ask at lunch. They have the classic edt on the men's side with new displays and the edp on the women's side.
    BR gets an 'F' for the marketing department.

The scent is what I thought it would be. Clean, Fresh, some floral aspects amped up, and what looks to be decent longevity.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 14th August 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    How dumb!

and the site states the edp is more feminine. Awesome BR, just market yourself out of many sales.
    Oh, and the frag is only listed under 'for her' on the site, you cannot get to it by navigating to frags 'for him'. Idiots!!! Just sale your khakis and white shirts and stay out of the frag business already!! LOL.

I am wearing now and although it is a little more floral, I cannot see it as anything but solid unisex.
    They even have it only on the women's side of the store, hence, why I couldn't find it and had to ask at lunch. They have the classic edt on the men's side with new displays and the edp on the women's side.

The scent is what I thought it would be. Clean, Fresh, some floral aspects amped up, and what looks to be decent longevity.
    LOL. It was unreal. I kept going, "No, I have read about it and seen it." The first guy, a stocker but on the floor says:

"I think you are right but you have to ask them."

Then the guy with the Bobby Brown headset at the register goes...no joke..

"Wow, you've done your research, I don't know of anything like that."

He calls over female manger and I'm like "Its a Limited Classic with a bottle with a design, etc, etc" Her response

"Well we are marketing Classic, like on that table, so maybe that is it."

I finally just shook my head and left.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Toughcool,

Their lack of knowledge was the same thing I got a week ago at this BR. They had no idea. I asked them to look in their fall catalog on the main desk...there it was. They act like deer caught in headlights. To be honest though, I see this often at Macys and Dillards. I will ask about a new release once I read here that it is in their stores, and more often than not, they just look at me blankly and then slighty miffed as if I am trying to show them up. Geez. I realize we are freaks and not the normal person walking to the counter, but a week later I come by the counter again and they are smiling at me saying...Hey! Have you tried this new fragrance by XXXXX, we just got it and it is awesome. It is the same fragrance I asked about a week earlier and they had never heard of.

There are exceptions. There is one SA at Macys that knows her stuff, and can pick out what I have on most of the time. She is helpful, and up to date on what is coming down the pipe. She loves Antaeus and Heritage, so she is more than fine by me.

Basenotes Institution

How dumb!

LOL - you tell 'em Barry!

Yeah, the Gap/Banana Republic have always been an 'F' in fragrance marketing in my book. They, IMO, had three very good scents out of all of the ones they've churned out for the past few years: Grass, Om and Classic. Pure luck, on their part, I'm assuming. The fact that they're ditching the Classic Limited Edition to the womans side of the store is just incredibly ridiculous.

I still want to smell it.

I have to admit a revision of opinion here.

Black Walnut, on my original visit to the concession at House Of Fraser, didn't float my boat.

Some two months later, the atomiser I sprayed into reappeared and I have to say, Black Walnut is wonderful.

It's my next purchase. It's rich and spicey and lasts well and.... I was wrong. My next purchase is a 100ml bottle.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I can't wait to try this one. So far, none of the Banana fragrances have floated my boat.

Sur la Plage

How dumb!

Thanks J_W_S, I will have to check it out this weekend.

I asked several BR stores about the EDP last month. Most of the SAs had no idea what I was talking about. However one SA told me "Yes, that will be a woman's fragrance that we will be getting in soon".
    Last edited by petruccijc; 15th August 2008 at 08:09 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

tested this today at BR> So , ok its smells exactly like the Original Classic. ...........silence............rite ...lame. i was like ok i am not going to drop 50 bucks on a fragrance i already have. lol . todays fragrance outting has been dismal

Basenotes Institution

I went to Banana Republic today during lunch. They didn't have it. I didn't even ask the store manager about it - I didn't want to deal with the hassle.

No rush. I'll try it soon enough.

Sur la Plage

I tested it at Banana Republic today. Well it smells like good old Classic to me - but the longevity is much better.

They are calling this a "Limited Edition" though.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 17th August 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Looks interesting. I have the Classic. It's a good citrus scent for summer.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto