Code of Conduct

Default Blind buy Horror Stories

A recent blind buy got me thinking. What are your blind buy horror stories?

I bought Jivago Connect because i love the bottle but the juice is pretty cheap smelling. It reminds me of my dads aftershave that he used when i was young. Its just a bad mint citrus piece of S*#^
    Last edited by naking; 5th June 2008 at 09:45 PM.

Default Re: Blind buy Horror Stories

Well, if you love a bottle, and must have it, then why worry about the juice? You can decant it and sell or trade it, then keep the lovely bottle, right? There are no reviews here or on PE, so I wouldn't even consider blind buying it. I also only blind buy "cheapo" frags. I'd never spend more than about $15 on a bottle (at least 50 ml) on a blind buy, no matter what the reviews were, so that I could get rid of it if I didn't like it.

Blind Buys don't bother me, I do it all the time. And money is not an issue because i can always make more. I'm just curious about other peoples horror stories.
    Last edited by naking; 5th June 2008 at 10:14 PM.

Heh.

I bought Chanel Egoiste Concentree blind off ebay, convinced that I would love it. I didn't. I smelled of Apple Pie and decided that life is too short to smell of Apple Pie. So I swapped it for...
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch. I hadn't experienced Patchouli and figured this was safe. Well, it was, but it was so uninspiring, and it smelled of Dr. Pepper, so I swapped it for...
    Carven Homme and Monsieur de Givenchy. The MdG is a keeper (finally!!!), but the Carven Homme was a mix of the worst bits of D&G pour Homme and Herrera for Men, I sprayed it twice and had enough.
    I sold off the Carven Homme for a few beads and shiny trinkets.

Makes me wonder why I bother.

I try to never blind buy but I never had a horror story per se. That may be overexemplifying a bit. Tumulte pour Homme comes to mind. I was a ghats by the cedar but learned to like it. But really you never know until you try. It's like buying wine without tasting it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    no reviews here or on PE,
    Not to detract from the topic but what is "PE"?

Bandit was my worst blind buy , followed by Cabochard which smells like mouldy old carpet with cheap synthetic freshener on it .. !! ,, Both horrible vomit inducing scents .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Well I have a blind buy that was the height of horror, it was Graffiti from Capucci. It smelt like a civet had been marking me with it's anus for three days straight, followed by an angry feral cat spraying me repeatedly on top. It was so hideous, I thought I would become ill every time I opened the bottle. Now I think twice before buying unknown 'classics'. It was like smelling 'animosity' in a bottle. Hey, that might make a great fragrance name; Animosity
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I try to never blind buy but I never had a horror story per se. That may be overexemplifying a bit. Tumulte pour Homme comes to mind. I was a ghats by the cedar but learned to like it. But really you never know until you try. It's like buying wine without tasting it first.

Not to detract from the topic but what is "PE"?
    Perfume Emporium (I think)

Blog Entries

Greenergy by Givenchy....although i think i got a stale bottle or something, because it just smells like old alcohol in a bottle.....terrible really.

The most surprising blind buy was Le Male, it smells of rotten meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Bandit was my worst blind buy , followed by Cabochard which smells like mouldy old carpet with cheap synthetic freshener on it .. !! ,, Both horrible vomit inducing scents .
    I feel terrible ... I sold him the Bandit edt ... but I was selling it because I bought it blind, swapped actually, and found it unbearable. I can't imagine anyone wanting to smell like the Springfield Tire Fire!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I dunno, I kinda like the occasional element of complete and total surprise - even when it is sorta stinky.

When you think about it, or at least speaking for myself, even if I read line after line of lovely descriptive prose describing this bottle or that, I seldom ever wind up getting the same things out of a scent. Sure, it's fun to exchange thoughts about bottles before a buy or swap but you just never really know until you push that plunger, do you?

What's even stranger is that if you're not careful you'll find yourself liking a few of the worst of them a year or two or three down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    I feel terrible ... I sold him the Bandit edt ... but I was selling it because I bought it blind, swapped actually, and found it unbearable. I can't imagine anyone wanting to smell like the Springfield Tire Fire!
    Hey Brent , No need to feel anything negative ! ..
    I filed it away on Ebay and it quickly found a new home to a person that loves it ! ..
    My last lot from you (( all blind buys )) are all brilliant
    Braggi
    Matchabelli
    Clos D'Aguzon
    The last one is a tad light on sillage but all superb .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    I dunno, I kinda like the occasional element of complete and total surprise - even when it is sorta stinky.

Sure, it's fun to exchange thoughts about bottles before a buy or swap but you just never really know until you push that plunger, do you?

What's even stranger is that if you're not careful you'll find yourself liking a few of the worst of them a year or two or three down the road.
    So true. I've made tons of blind buys, and for some reason my blind buys are almost always the most satisfying. Another thing, you can get used to a sample of something, and then buy a bottle and notice that it smells ever so slightly different (and the difference could simply be using the sprayer on a bottle vs the dabbing of a sample), but that slight perceived difference will eat you up.

The only time I spent a decent amount of money on a blind scent only to be underwhelmed was Ambre Sultan-- I don't hate it, but it just isn't my type. I know blind buys can be expensive, but they're just more fun when they work out.

Basenotes Institution

Someone could have told me that Trussardi Uomo was going to burn the insides of my nose hairs upon first sniff. Wow!

I quickly gave it to my Dad (an Ex-marine) who loved it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th June 2008 at 02:59 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Someone could have told me that Trussardi Uomo was going to burn the insides of my nose hairs upon first sniff. Wow!

I second this, I really dislike it.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Yep.. This stuff can put hairs on places you have never thought possible.. Pure GRRRRRRR!!!!!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Not exactly a "horror story" but a disappointment. I never was excited about Blue Water when it came out and when I happened over reviews of a certain Green Irish Tweed, I thought this had to be that "holy grail" I was on the lookout for. Well constructed scent or not, a scent resembling Blue Water wasn't what I was hoping for!

Angry Re: Blind buy Horror Stories

I had a Triple Disaster last October, when I was obessed with having a "blue" scent.

1) Polo Sport. The bottle was new, and never sprayed, but likely stored poorly and old. Smelled of sweat and did not last long. Just a pure disappointing experience. I took a gamle and lost.

2) Aqua Motu. What Canadian would not want to smell "like the beach" ?? Well, first the bottle was leaking when it arrived via mail ( from the spray ). Not a good thing. And the scent? Well, sickening sweetness, coconut, sun-block lotion, possibly a wet towell.....oh wait, this does smell like the beach ! And it is a strong headache causing awful smell. I had this disposed at a lab.

3) Joop! Nightflight. I thought the reviews here on BN were too good to fail . Bottle seemed stylish, it seemed OK by the notes and Joop! seems like a reputable House. All that may be true. But Nightflight has very harsh top notes and strong projection....too strong. One spray caused the whole floor of the house to stink. Harsh and certainly has an irritating note ( or a couple of them).

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Greenergy by Givenchy....although i think i got a stale bottle or something, because it just smells like old alcohol in a bottle.....terrible really.
    Must be a bad bottle!

This is a very fresh green scent, great for the hottest days.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

My worst blind buy was Quorum. I hated it profusely for 7 years. Now I don't mind it, and bought a bigger bottle.

The next worst was Paco Rabanne Pour Homme - "Is something wrong with the bottle? No one in their right mind would wear this" I thought when I first applied it. Two months later I was wearing it happily and bought a bigger bottle.

Eau de Grey Flannel and Kouros I was less than impressed with as blind buys, both seemed harsh and cheaply synthetic, and I didn't like them - what a waste of money. But six months went buy, the weather warmed up, and on a whim I applied them on different days, and I was amazed at how well they both wore as warm weather scents, compared to the duds they were in the middle of winter.

So I've never had a bad blind buy smell wise. I either liked them straight away, or they grew on me. But I also only ever bought scents made for men. And where there was some ambiguity, it helped me to read the reviews and to avoid those that have some people saying that the scent smells feminine - because even if only a few say that, I will most likely be saying that too.

You can't trust the reviews by just reading a few and noting the glowing praise, because the fact is that some people don't mind wearing feminine or semi feminine scents, and they get too enthused by some aspects of the scent itself. For example, Aqua Motu gets a lot of praise around here because, quite rightly, it is probably the best beach in a spray can scent I've come across - but it's also somewhat on the feminine side to most people.

That said, my absolutely most disappointing blind buys were YSL Pour Homme, Eau Sauvage and Yohji Pour Homme - they smelled great, but their longevity was way too poor for the money paid - so that they didn't do the job I'd bought them for. I was horrified at the cash I'd thrown away!
    Now I always read the reviews and check for people saying that a scent didn't last long enough on them.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th June 2008 at 07:36 PM.