Code of Conduct

Thread: Grasse me up!

Default Grasse me up!

I am heading to the South of France on my family holiday in the second week of July.
    My darling husband has said 'obviously you'll want to visit Grasse' and has even offered to look after our little un while I disappear off to indulge my obsession. Bless him!

Where should I go and what should I see?

Feel free to mention where I should eat and shop, too!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Grasse me up!

Oh, gees, girl! Well, I'm going to have to take a little vacation from adoring you and will plan to despise and envy you during the second week of July.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    ...My darling husband ...has even offered to look after our little un while I disappear off to indulge my obsession...
    Oh, Good Man!
    He's a keeper.
    See if this place, Payan Bertrand, gives tours:
    http://www.payanbertrand.com/index.p...ances_products
    That would be such a wonderful experience.
    You must, must post photos and keep a little journal of that day for us, O.K?

First things first: does your husband have a brother?

PM Chaya - she lived there for a while I think!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Fragonard welcome visitors, according to their website http://www.fragonard.com/@en-us/1/theme.asp

Quote Originally Posted by chengfun View Post
    Fragonard welcome visitors, according to their website http://www.fragonard.com/@en-us/1/theme.asp
    Yes, they do. We did a tour in Sept. when we were there. Very informative, and tons of scents and sample paks to pick from at the end of the tour in their store. They seemed quite eager to answers questions (even stupid ones!) hehehe.. and all in all, it was really enjoyable.
    Let us know where you end up going, and I agree, you're hubby's a keeper!!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Congratulations, my dear! What exquisite fun!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by chengfun View Post
    I believe Molinard does also.

Have a great time. It is wonderful there - fragrance heaven!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Lucky, lucky, lucky! I hope you have a wonderful time. Don't know if you can post while you're there, but no matter what, we expect a trip report when you get back! Our family is planning on going there, too, hopefully soon. My wife wants to see Roman ruins, so.... if you see any, please let us know. The sooner my wife thinks there are lots of ruins to chase after there, the sooner she'll let me begin planning perfumery visits! Oh, I'm so devious....

Thanks guys I will explore those links and make a big itinerary for myself. Yes, my hubby is a star, bless him. He's even taken Tinkerbelle out for the day today as I have to work (writing a brochure on earthmoving equipment). He was appropriately proud of himself when I told him he'd got such a hearty round of applause from my perfume friends.

I will definitely tell you all about it when I get back and I'll take photos to share.

And Redneck - I know for definite that there are stacks of Roman ruins in the area - there's an amphitheatre in Frejus and an Aqueduct somewhere else. Plus Van Gogh and Picasso did a lot of painting in the area, so I'm sure there's quite an Art experience as well.

I'm sure I remember reading a blog by an American guy who went to Grasse for a year to train as a nose. I'll have to hunt through my huge list of bookmarks and see if I can find it. Also I"ll PM Chaya.

And I read Kewart's listing on Nice in the Shopping section of the board, which is very useful too, and I recently re-read Perfume (the novel)...

Obsessive, Moi?
    :-)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Oh, Lisapadisa...
    Me sent you message...

For Roman ruins, they're ALL over da place- my brain's farting now, but Arles, and Le Pont Du Gard,Nimes...
    You gotta see the Pont du Gard- it takes the breath away, and Chick can watch tiny fishies wiggle between her piggies underneath it, in the Gardon river...

There are figtree branches growing out of the ruins, no less.
    And olive trees to swoon for.

NICE !
    OLIVES !
    Lisa- should we ever meet-
    I'm certain that I will 'love you more than olives'...
    A VERY high Meister compliment.

Obsessive, Moi?
    :-)[/QUOTE]

No, this is simply basic due diligence! : ) Sounds like it will be a great trip.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Have you searched through online videos for more scents and tourist info?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Grasse is such a beatiful place - not only for perfumes - as it overlooks hillocks and mountains - the sights are as wonderful as the smells. Fragonard is my favourite along with Galimard - did not go to Molinard as it is quite a distance from the 'town'. I found the 'parfum' version of most of their mens' fragrances in the Galimard shop in Grasse one year and 'extrait du parfum' versions a few years later - by the way, Galimard has a 'student perfume making kit' with about 18 different essences to make your own creations as well as scents to spray on your pillow to lull you to sleep. Don't forget to pick up some of the magnificent soaps from Fragonard - the rose scented glycerine soap smells heavenly and acts like a room fragrance even without undoing the wrapper. You will of course want the Fragonard fragrances in the parfum version - they are some wonderful creations - Arielle, Emilie, Baroque, Belle de Nuit and Murmure to name a few. There is a Molinard 'salon' as well as museum in Nice - they have the most exquisite refillable spray bottles in the shape of sea shells. There is also a wonderful old fashioned perfumery on the way to the 'old town' in Nice that sells singular note colognes as well as other in house creations and you can buy them in one liter bottles if you so wish to. Do go to Monte Carlo for the Jardin Exotique - a garden perched on top of the hill by a cliff full of succulents from all over the world - stunning views of the Monte Carlo harbour. There is a touristy shop close to the palace and they sell some interesting locally made fragrances - was almost tempted to get a some (can't remember the names!). There is the Lalique boutique behind the Hotel de Paris which stocks most of the limited edition perfume crystal bottles they produce every year - a feast for the eyes and the wallet! I could go on forever as the south of France is a stunning place to experience. Let me know if you need any further information - more than happy to share them.

Great advice aaz. I love it there, too. I was just going to recommend what has already been said, Fragonard, Molinard and Galimard. I wonder if there are smaller perfumers doing business there that we are unaware of?

Forgot to mention Parfums Walcz by Albert Walcz located in Bandol -which is between Marseille (50km and Toulon 20 km). I have received samples from them many years ago and they are rather agreeable. Somehow never did get around to ordering them - probably due to high shipping costs. Bandol itself seems like a lovely coastal town - funny how any coastal town in southen France makes you want to hop off the train and spend a week there ..... Also forgot to mention that the bus trip from Nice to Grasse - around 50 mins to an hour, bus from the Gare Routiere - main bus station- near Place Massena (can go from Cannes as well, I believe), is such a scenic ride - it does wind up and around the hill so be prepared for that ......