Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why doesn't anyone suggest Kiehls's Original Musk EdT?

A lot of "recommend a fragrance" topics in the Just Starting Out forum, I've been reading them for months now, but I don't remember anyone suggesting Kiehls's Original Musk EdT in their posts. I have to say I love this fragrance very much. It is very wearable, smells clean, has great longevity and sillage, great (and unique) for a first scent, and not expensive. Why don't people recommend this fragrance more often?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why doesn't anyone suggest Kiehls's Original Musk EdT?

1. There are so many new fragrances being released every single day Mostapha. Inevitably there are going to be great fragrances that get 'ignored'. Welcome to the perfume industry in 2008. Kind of sad, but true.

2. I don't like Kiehl's Musk - thats why I don't recommend it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th June 2008 at 01:51 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

It is quite often overlooked...not because its bad, but because (as Mike said) there are so many others to recommend. I usually recommend Malin & Goetz Synthesized Musk instead because I happen to like it a bit better, although they are quite similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've seen Kiehl's musk recommended several times recently.

But it seems a lot of folks skew toward interest in the "latest and greatest".

Similar to the Kiehl's would be Penhaligon's and Trumper's. Both are well-established English houses that make great frags. But no one thinks of them or recommends them often. Their fragrances tend to be thought of more along the lines of "gentlemen's", "barbershop", or "old school" fragrances as well.

Also, all three of those companies are not known primarily as fragrance houses, which may also account for them being overlooked.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    A lot of "recommend a fragrance" topics in the Just Starting Out forum, I've been reading them for months now, but I don't remember anyone suggesting Kiehls's Original Musk EdT in their posts. I have to say I love this fragrance very much. It is very wearable, smells clean, has great longevity and sillage, great (and unique) for a first scent, and not expensive. Why don't people recommend this fragrance more often?
    Well, Kiehl's Musk is very nice. That being said, I find it to be a little expensive for what it is, and it is a little difficult to try out unless you live in a city large enough to have a Kiehl's store or a Nordstrom's that carries it. I don't think of it as being terribly unique, either.

Along the lines of Kiehl's, Coty Musk for Men is very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Kiehl's Original Musk Oil is superb. It is one of the few musks that I can smell and I wear it regularly.

I did not care for the EdT at all.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I wore and love the Original Musk Oil thirty years ago (!), when Kiehl's was just a small shop on Third Avenue. I still keep it, but for musks I now prefer:
    Coty's Wild Musk for a sweet, cheap regular
    Parfumerie Generale's Musc Maori for delectable warmth
    MKK for skank

Post Thanks / Like

Judging by most recommendations on here, I'm going to guess that it's not suggested more often because it's NOT: niche, vintage, brand new, ridiculously hard to find, or over $300 a bottle.

If it was musk extracted directly from Serge Lutens' behind people would pay $2000 for a q-tip of it and recommend it as the ONLY fragrance to have. Ever. And if you don't have it, you don't appreciate fragrance now and you never will.

I'm only 1/2 joking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    Judging by most recommendations on here, I'm going to guess that it's not suggested more often because it's NOT: niche, vintage, brand new, ridiculously hard to find, or over $300 a bottle.

If it was musk extracted directly from Serge Lutens' behind people would pay $2000 for a q-tip of it and recommend it as the ONLY fragrance to have. Ever. And if you don't have it, you don't appreciate fragrance now and you never will.

I'm only 1/2 joking.
    Half joking is correct!

I read as many threads about non-niche, inexpensive or easy-to-find fragrances as I do about the others.

In the right thread, I would recommend Kiehl's Musk Oil in a heartbeat. I am not able to recommend the EdT version. The oil is far superior to my nose.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post

I think Kiehls is a fine musk - and reminds me a lot of Kouros actually which I used to wear a lot in the 80s.

It, like most musks, just doesn't float my boat as much as other frags that's all.

But I do agree, it's a great scent.

Post Thanks / Like

While I recognize that others may like it, I couldn't bring myself to appreciate it. After trying real musk infusions it seems to possess a lab like quality that borders on annoying. I'm going to check it out again.
    Last edited by Taz; 13th June 2008 at 04:39 AM.

I LOVE Kiehls Musk edt. It is perfect on it's own for a warm simple "skin" scent. Also divine for layering, I have worn "under" many scents. Can add depth and warmth to a "cooler" scent. I'm happy to not see it mentioned all the time then I would have to stop wearing it

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Why doesn't anyone suggest Kiehls's Original Musk EdT?

I think Kiehls musk is really sexy smelling.. If it wasn't for the poor longtivity on my skin.. it would be a sure keeper!

Musc Koublai Khan tends to receive all the attention around here because its similar and its a Luten!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

I like Alyssa Ashley Musk the best, but it is harder to find here and a little more expensive than my second and third favorite, which would be Body Shop musks (all of them, especially white musk) and Coty Wild Musk, which is cheap and readily available and smells great, lasts long, etc.
    I think Kiehls smells like plastic. Sorry.
    I do like the Kiehls musk bath stuff, but it is ungodly expensive here and the only place I know that carries it is Mecca Cosmetics, where it practically costs you $50 just to walk in the door.
    Come play with us (click on the Basenotes link) http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195893

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post

I'm only 1/2 joking.
    Virgo75, you have spunk!

I, for one, love this little musk in the edt form. I don't often go for edts, mind you. That said, I don't wear other musks simply because I don't like them.

To me, it offers a clean, soapy (slightly dirty) musk aroma that I can live with and, yes, wear to work.

I loved your Serge line!!!! Jeannemarie