Code of Conduct

Default Can any of you ladies recommend a truly unique, hard to find scent?

I've always stuck with mainstream fragrances, but I think I'm getting sick of recognizing a scent on another woman and being let down....thinking that sadly, I also have the same scent in my bathroom cabinet (or worse...wearing the same scent that day). So, I'd like something very unique, something that isn't easily recognizable but frequently complimented. I'm pretty open minded, but I do tend to shy away from leather, tuberose and gardenia notes.

Some recent scents that I like, so that it gives an idea of the type of fragrances that I'm drawn to:
    -Donna Karan Cashmere Mist
    -SJP Lovely
    -NR for Her EDT
    -Flowerbomb
    -Bond No.9 Chinatown
    -Body by Victoria
    -Heavenly by VS
    -Givenchy Very Irresistible
    -Gucci Envy Me
    -Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDT
    -Chanel No.5 Sensual Elixir
    -Escada Moon Sparkle
    -Escada Island Kiss

Thanks so much in advance!

Default Re: Can any of you ladies recommend a truly unique, hard to find scent?

If you're in NY. I recommend going to Aedes and sniffing around. They have a lot of exclusive unique smelling scents.

http://www.aedes.com/brand.php?cat_id=1

I'm not the best at scent recommendations, so hopefully maybe others will narrow down your sniffing choices.

Good Luck!

First off my dear: scents/fragrances do not go in the bathroom cabinet...NEVER! The humid conditions will ruin a scent; it can even ruin the seal on spray scents. Keep fragrance in the box, in a cool, dry place.
    Wonderful, now let us move on to a scent suggestion, or two. You could try Calandre or Métal by Paco Rabanne, not too many people wearing those. You could also try Ombre Rose, by J.C. Brosseau, a wonderful powdery, mysterious scent, that is not too overpowering.
    I hate to tell you, but, most of the scents you have listed are going to be worn by many women. It reads like a whose-who of advertised/popular scents. I never try to steer anyone towards niche scents, I find the whole 'scene' oh so pretentious at times, but you might want to try something niche. Since you live in Manhattan, you should go into Berdorfs, or Takashimaya, or even better Aedes de Venustas on Christopher st., # 9, those would be some nice places to start your search.
    But the fragrances I named may be trickier to find, they are classics though. Good luck.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

I 'm getting tired of those expensive mediocre niche scents too, these perfumers all have the same concept after all, they 're all doing what Serge Lutens started doing more than 15 years ago, so today everybody has their amber, their leather, their rose and their vanilla and none of these scents are masterpiece. Go to the Guerlain & Chanel counters of Bergdorf & Goodman (or the Guerlain boutique at the Waldorf Astoria) and test Nahema, Mitsouko Chamade or Shalimar and No 5 in pure extrait de parfum! You won 't smell these gems everywhere!

Kenzo makes some beautiful feminine frags that I don't smell on alot of people. I particularly like their new Kenzo Amour - and also the limited edition Kenzo Amour Indian Holi. You can sample them at Sephora, where they will even give you a small vial to take home! Have fun!

You're in a great location to do lot of exploring!

Try Aedes and Barneys for the more recent lines.

Try the House of Caron for more classic scents that you don't smell on everyone else.

Guerlain will have a good mix of both - at Bergdorfs. Also, the men's frag counter at Bergdorfs has some good stuff: Amouge and Killian reside there, so don't just go to the women's frag area.

Have fun and please report back what you liked and didn't like! I thought you were also looking for something softer and less conspicuous awhile back. If that is the case, I'd like to suggest L' eau de Hiver, in the Malle line - I think it's at Barneys. It's a beautiful, soft frag from a niche line that you won't be smelling all over the place. I think you might enjoy that one, but there are tons to choose from.

Blog Entries

Montale at Aedes. Try 'Queen Rose Petals' or 'Black Aoud'.

Niche' scents are over rated most of the time.............I am fond of a few.
    For the best bang for the buck..............Go to a Guerlain boutique and buy one of the exclusives. They are worth it!!!

Try Dawn Spencer Hurwitz at dshperfumes.com, too.

I second Aedes and add luckyscent and beautyhabit, who is currently running a discount. Browse around their websites, you'll find many interesting and beautiful fragrances and they all sell samples. You can also look at your-cosmetics.com and shoplondons.com for unique scents. Penhaligons might have something you like for summer and shoplondons sells a sample set. It all depends on what you're into, everyone is attracted to different things.

I love Chanel No 5 Sensual Elixir, I'm going to get a bottle of that.

If a guy may say something:
    Why not give Tom Ford's Black Orchid a test? I think it's pretty unique.
    And of course i agree that you might want to go to Aedes and other stores like it to go and do some happy testing.

Try the Frederic Malle's at Barneys. Also, the JAR Boutique at Bergdorf Goodman (5th & 58th), and, as others have said, Aedes on Christopher St.

I second the Guerlains...there's nothing like a Guerlain!
    Last edited by Tovah; 14th June 2008 at 03:21 AM.

Frederic Malle's stuff is genius. Try the old Guerlains - all of them - until you find the ones you adore. Hermes does great scents and if you go to the Hermes boutique they'll have the entire range, including the Hermessences and all the back catalogue.

Christopher Brosius makes unusual smells. Ava Luxe (ava-luxe.com) is not expensive but she's brilliant and gets a lot of love here on BN. Her Love's True Bluish Light gets into quite a few people's Top Tens.

My personal recommendation is Lorenzo Villoresi's Teint de Neige. It is soft soft white powder and sooooo pretty pretty pretty. Lots of heliotrope, so in the same district as Malle's L'Eau d'Hiver and Guerlain's L'Heure Bleu and Apres l'Ondee.

Take a look on the directory by house and enjoy browsing through the reviews of different scents that take your fancy. Then you'll have a sniff list to start picking your way through.

Oh - one last thought. Some perfumes that are discontinued in the US are still available in Europe. (Femininite du Bois being my favourite case in point.) So you could ask someone who lives over here to buy a bottle for you and send it to you. That's a pretty good way to assure exclusivity!
    :-)
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Red face Re: Can any of you ladies recommend a truly unique, hard to find scent?

Hermes Ambre Narguile is totally amazing check the Hermes Boutiques

I agree that you're in such an enviable location for sampling unique and hard-to-find scents, you really just need to go to Aedes or Barneys or some of these other stores and start sniffing! I agree with others that you might find something from Malle or Montale (but not necessarily the aouds). I'd also add Parfumerie Generale, because you mentioned some gourmand scents and they have really interesting and unique ones. If you haven't smelled the Chanel exclusifs they are worth checking out (but pricey), especially 31 Rue Cambon

A strong second for Nahema, it is beyond glorious, and for some reason is nowhere near as popular as it should be (good!). Badgley Mischka is something you will like for sure. Although neither of those are what I would call inexpensive. Still, if you love it, and you want to be fabulous . . . And get Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez' Perfume Guide. Many hours of obsessing await you. Mauboussin is a well-done fruity frag that is extremely well-priced. I got mine from an online discounter. Oh -- another expensive gourmand I bet you would like is Love by Kilian. Bergdorf's has it, perhaps Aedes. Also go to www.ThePerfumedCourt.com for samples. That should keep you busy -- no need to thank me

Well, I have not been able to procure it since 1995 so you may not have any luck either, but if you ever run across a bottle of Unter den Linden (it was manufactured by Berlin Cosmetics GmBh), buy it. The scent is beautiful and very different, with great sillage and staying power. Good luck!

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab! You can search by note and gets tons of descriptions! I think you might like Juliet, Maiden, and Fae.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

well. i'm jumping on the Guerlain bandwagon. The older scents are amazing (though personally, i find shalimar to be retch inducing... though I'm intrigued by Jicky). L'Heure Blue is flat out, drop down AMAZING. its one of my absolute favorites. Vol de Nuit is also tasty (note, i only have the EDT, but the EDP in Bleu) Mitsoku is spectacular (my mother adores it) and even the moden ones are pretty spiffy.

The other house to look into might be Chanel. That's my other favorite perfume house. The fancy schamncy ones at the boutqiues are worth trying, even if they are the EDTs of those that may be nicer in pure parfume form (I have Cuir de Russie in the jug... but you know what, its still awesomenss in spirtzable form). Try those out, the whole Exclusifs collection. They too, are yummy.

And, by the way, don't worry if something is alledgedly unquie or hard to find. If something really takes to you (or you take to a perfume... not sure which it is when you find an amazing perfume) who cares if its mass market or not? it smells good and makes you feel good.

cheers and happy hunting!
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    If a guy may say something:
    Why not give Tom Ford's Black Orchid a test? I think it's pretty unique.
    And of course i agree that you might want to go to Aedes and other stores like it to go and do some happy testing.
    that stuff smells awful to me but maybe your chemistry will be the ump that it needs.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12