Code of Conduct

Default 4711 - unusual bottle. Help needed please :)

Hey friends,

Today my wife and I visited our local fleamarket. I tend to enjoy looking over their things because here, particularly in Europe where the continent is OLD, you can find some very nice treasures.
    I met a french woman who has lived here in Denmark for over 20 years, and on her stall she had a bottle of 4711 Eau de Cologne buried deep in a basket under some old postcards and an antique marionette. I often run across old cylindrical or round 4711 bottles at the markets, but this one was quite unusual. Ive never seen 4711 presented in this "cognac" style flacon before, and dont seem to be able to find anything online either.
    I noted the seal had not been broken. When I picked it up, she told me it was "very old", but could not estimate its age. There is no sticker or information other than the label shown. On the base of the bottle there is a "V" and a "1" embossed in the glass. My guess is that it contains 150 - 200mls of fragrance. Its approximately 17cms in height (have placed a standard sample next to it in order to give you an idea of its scale). Unfortunately there was not any packaging.

I paid a mere $2.10 US / €1.30 for it and took my purchase home.
    Does anyone have any idea as to the vintage, or why this shape bottle? Its an oddity, and even if worthless, I feel it a very nice find.

Thanks team!

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 7th June 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Default Re: 4711 - unusual bottle. Help needed please :)

I don't know it's age - and this is coming from a huge fan of the original 4711. Still you got yourself a bargain - the bottle is so beautiful!
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Wow! Great find, Dimi! Makes one wonder if the current 4711 smells like the original. Looks like there's still something in that bottle! (My mom used to have a tiny bottle of it on her dresser.)
    Last edited by Delmar; 7th June 2008 at 12:56 PM.

Nice find. First a chance meeting with a fellow Basenoter and then what appears to be this vintage bottle of 4711. You're on a roll this week Dimitri.

Congrats on this rare find! Are you planning on using it or keeping it sealed?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thanks everyone for sharing my excitement
    I think for now it will definitely remain sealed - I couldn't bare the thought of destroying the integrity of the unique shaped bottle. I have also emailed the folks at 4711.com as perhaps they may have an idea of its vintage. I'll keep you all posted.

4711 came in a zillion different forms, a boon (or curse) for collectors. They were always a lot better at marketing than at perfume . Here's a small selection, including you bottle.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    4711 came in a zillion different forms, a boon (or curse) for collectors. They were always a lot better at marketing than at perfume . Here's a small selection, including you bottle.
    Hi Tom, thanks for the link... I had kind of pegged you as the one who may be able to provide me with a German-language internet source Some of those flacons and packaging are spectacular!

the_good_life's lead led me to check ebay.de where two such bottles are listed. Both independent sellers have listed the vintage at ca. 1960s. I'm astonished at the condition of the bottle at approximately 50 years of age! Thanks again t_g_l.

A little update: I have received word from 4711 Headquarters in Köln that this bottle was in production in the 1930s! I have supplied further information to see if we might be able to accurately determine the vintage of this particular bottle.

They sure put a lot into great presentation back then. I can't help wondering what it smells like, and I bet you're curious too, but it would indeed feel dreadful to break the seal.

What a curse! Hehehe.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Here is the final response I received from 4711 today re: this bottle...

"This particular bottle was produced with various labels and in different sizes from 1930 up to 1950. It is difficult to tell you which is the definite date of your bottle, but the lable seems to be out of the earliest times of production."

Which is a rather exciting outcome. With this in mind, I dare say I'll keep the bottle sealed... I couldn't fathom opening it now with a 70-odd year vintage.