Code of Conduct

Default To smell in Venezia

I will stay some days in Venice. I want to know if there is something like Santa Maria Novella, Carthusia or Eau d'Italie brands but Venetian to look for it. Or suggestions to shop or visit about scents.

By the way... what fragance to wear for Britten's "Death in Venice" at La Fenice?

Thanks..!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: To smell in Venezia

Make sure you check out the ETRO line. I became acquainted with their Palais Jamais while Venice in 2005. I know at least one perfume shop - not far from St. Mark's - has them. Palais Jamais & Shaal Nur received 4 stars in Perfumes: The Guide - for what it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help you with the scents - walking around there for 5 days I didn't notice any really good perfume stores like I did walking around in other regional towns like Vicenza, Padova, Trento. Even smaller towns like Castelfranco and Bassano Del Grappa had better perfume shops.

My tip for eating in Venice is that while you're walking around and the people out the front try to entice you into their restaurants, ask them the simple question - "How much is Coca Cola?"

Those that charge 4.50 Euros for a small 200ml can are ripoff merchants, who will give you an equally small serving of whatever you order to eat. If they say 3 Euros for a glass, ask them how big the glass is, and if big enough, go with them. It was our observation that if they didn't try to wildly overcharge you on the Coke, they also didn't try to wildly overcharge you on the food.

My favourite attraction in Venice was the Doge's Palace. Lot's of huge paintings - but not religous like those inside a church, instead depicting all their famous battles and the people they whooped.
    Enjoy your trip.

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Can't help you with the scents - walking around there for 5 days I didn't notice any really good perfume stores like I did walking around in other regional towns like Vicenza, Padova, Trento. Even smaller towns like Castelfranco and Bassano Del Grappa had better perfume shops.

My tip for eating in Venice is that while you're walking around and the people out the front try to entice you into their restaurants, ask them the simple question - "How much is Coca Cola?"

Those that charge 4.50 Euros for a small 200ml can are ripoff merchants, who will give you an equally small serving of whatever you order to eat. If they say 3 Euros for a glass, ask them how big the glass is, and if big enough, go with them. It was our observation that if they didn't try to wildly overcharge you on the Coke, they also didn't try to wildly overcharge you on the food.

My favourite attraction in Venice was the Doge's Palace. Lot's of huge paintings - but not religous like those inside a church, instead depicting all their famous battles and the people they whooped.
    Enjoy your trip.

Renato
    Renato, haha, you made my day hihihi...
    But you have to think Venezia is a turistic place, a big living monument, a miracle against the seawater, and unique. Living and taking goods there is pricey by nature, just think about sweet water to drink, cook etc... Plus tourism is the only business running there, so it's natural that's pricey hehe... What about a can of coke at the Ceasar's Palace?

Lucky you! I haven't been to Venice in years and they were still rebuilding La Fenice when I was there. Be sure to try the spider crab.
    Perhaps you can buy a beautiful Murano glass perfume decanter bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Renato, haha, you made my day hihihi...
    But you have to think Venezia is a turistic place, a big living monument, a miracle against the seawater, and unique. Living and taking goods there is pricey by nature, just think about sweet water to drink, cook etc... Plus tourism is the only business running there, so it's natural that's pricey hehe... What about a can of coke at the Ceasar's Palace?
    Glad you got a chuckle from our little adventure.

Oh I know prices have to be dearer given the circumstances. But there's a difference between caring whether customers come back and not caring. In most places we ate in northern Italy (including the next most touristy place - Florence) you got the feeling that they cared.

It's a fairly common criticism of Venice in the rest of the Veneto region that too many restaurant people in Venice have that "I don't care" attitude, as there are so many tourists around, it doesn't matter that these ones don't come back, there'll be someone else along to fleece tomorrow night. The fact they we managed to find places with decent food at not over the top prices, shows that some do care.

They have the same "tourist tax" in Paris, where a Coke is also 4 Euros (for a bigger can) - but the difference is we never felt cheated there about the quantity of the food they supplied.with it.

By the way, we were in your neck of the woods last year - six hours in Milan, where I bought Eau de Baux from the L'Occitane shop. Then we got lost outside of Milan, found ourselves in Laveno, and then accidentally found the best part of our entire trip - visiting the Islands in Lago Maggiore. We didn't know they were there till the guy in the hotel told us.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Thanks for all the suggestions. Because it isn´t my first trip to Venice I want to visit Asolo and Palladio´s villages, so Bassano Del Grappa, Treviso or Vicenza are on the road.
    And indeed a Murano glass perfume decanter bottle is a great idea!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UnJardinAuMexique View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Because it isn´t my first trip to Venice I want to visit Asolo and Palladio´s villages, so Bassano Del Grappa, Treviso or Vicenza are on the road.
    And indeed a Murano glass perfume decanter bottle is a great idea!!!
    In Bassano Del Grappa, on the lane just off the top one of the three squares (the square nearest the main road) is Profumeria Lunardon (not sure of spelling) - it's the best store I came across in Italy.

As an exercise, just try counting the number of Profumerias in Vicenza as you walk around - I think it has the highest density of any town I've ever visited in Europe. And don't forget to look at the historical places too.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th June 2008 at 11:57 AM.

Indeed historical places are the most important!!! :-) But if I know that one block from X palazzo there is a nice "profumeria", it would worth the effort to visit it. By the way, two days ago reading Les parfums de Rosine's "points de vent" in Spain I clicked in Italy and I found that Lunardon shop, plus more in Padova, Vicenza or Verona. And this because last weekend I was giving a second chance to Voleur des Roses, and my first time with Twill Rose and Rose d'Homme. I will post my opinion in "The name of the rose"...

Renato, next time you lose yourself out of Milano, be sure to check out other amazing unknown places like Orta lake for example. I'm sure you won't be disappointed again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Renato, next time you lose yourself out of Milano, be sure to check out other amazing unknown places like Orta lake for example. I'm sure you won't be disappointed again
    I've never heard of it - but given my last experience, I am extremely receptive.
    Cheers,
    Renato