Code of Conduct

Default Monsieur de Givenchy review

Today I was bored. I decided to go sample some fragrances at my fave independent fragrance shop. Since I'm on an Hermés kick, I grabbed a bottle of Bel Ami-- I like it a lot. Similar to Helmut Lang's Cuiron but a little different. I was looking for one other fragrance to try, and the shopkeeper pulled out a bottle of Monsieur de Givenchy and sprayed some on a card.

The memories came flooding back. THIS was the stuff my grandfather used to wear! I always liked the way he smelled and I remember once when I was really young I looked at his and my grandmother's fragrance bottles and there was one bottle that said "Givenchy" on it. This was most definitely it. Funny thing is, I'd always associated Guerlain Vetiver with my grandparents' house--and I thought I smelled a LOT of vetiver in Monsieur de Givenchy--though when I looked at the notes, vetiver isn't listed anywhere!

I'm not a big fan of the new packaging-- the frosted tall bottle with the goofy little cap. The old bottles looked much better. Still, it's easy to forgive this when the juice smells so great. Sure, it's an old school citrus of the Eau Sauvage/YSL Pour Homme school, but I like this one the best. It's so fresh, clean and classic-- like a new haircut. Along with the fresh citrus, I get a bit of a salty celery seed note that reminds me fleetingly of Yatagan, though only a pinch. This fragrance is outstanding, somewhat minimalist, yet with surprising depth.

I bought a bottle. As I was sitting in my car, I started thinking about Father's Day. My grand dad passed away back in '92, and just smelling the Monsieur de Givenchy brought back so many pleasant memories of him. I ran back into the store and purchased a second bottle-- this one to give to my dad for a Father's Day gift. Maybe it will give him nice memories of his dad.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Monsieur de Givenchy review

Fragrant related memories of family members are some of my favorite moments with scents.

Today, I was shopping at the mall with my 9 year old niece. We went to a huge discount mall that I would never go to and spent all afternoon trying on clothes (you have no idea how many Hannah Montana inspired clothes are out in the marketplace...jeez!), shopping for fake nails (!?) and generally 'doing the mall'.

Of course, this particular mall had about 5 or 6 discount perfumeries. I couldn't help it, I stopped into two of them - ended up seeing a few things that caught my eye.

My point is: Just as I was about to leave the last one, I saw a HUGE bottle of British Sterling on the bottom row. My father used to wear BS all of the time when I was growing up. I opened up the box (it was unsealed) and inhaled the scent. Of course, just like you mentioned Indie, the memories came flooding in my mind. I left the shop with a smile, thinking of my wonderful Dad.

OH - and BTW Indie, Givenchy re-released MdG this year with a few other scents (Xeryus, Organza Indecence, etc) with brand new packaging - minus the tacky cap:

Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th June 2008 at 12:15 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Today I was bored. I decided to go sample some fragrances at my fave independent fragrance shop. Since I'm on an Hermés kick, I grabbed a bottle of Bel Ami-- I like it a lot. Similar to Helmut Lang's Cuiron but a little different. I was looking for one other fragrance to try, and the shopkeeper pulled out a bottle of Monsieur de Givenchy and sprayed some on a card.

The memories came flooding back. THIS was the stuff my grandfather used to wear! I always liked the way he smelled and I remember once when I was really young I looked at his and my grandmother's fragrance bottles and there was one bottle that said "Givenchy" on it. This was most definitely it. Funny thing is, I'd always associated Guerlain Vetiver with my grandparents' house--and I thought I smelled a LOT of vetiver in Monsieur de Givenchy--though when I looked at the notes, vetiver isn't listed anywhere!

I'm not a big fan of the new packaging-- the frosted tall bottle with the goofy little cap. The old bottles looked much better. Still, it's easy to forgive this when the juice smells so great. Sure, it's an old school citrus of the Eau Sauvage/YSL Pour Homme school, but I like this one the best. It's so fresh, clean and classic-- like a new haircut. Along with the fresh citrus, I get a bit of a salty celery seed note that reminds me fleetingly of Yatagan, though only a pinch. This fragrance is outstanding, somewhat minimalist, yet with surprising depth.

I bought a bottle. As I was sitting in my car, I started thinking about Father's Day. My grand dad passed away back in '92, and just smelling the Monsieur de Givenchy brought back so many pleasant memories of him. I ran back into the store and purchased a second bottle-- this one to give to my dad for a Father's Day gift. Maybe it will give him nice memories of his dad.
    That is a great story. I hope your Dad likes.

I I just tried it for the first time this past week. It reminded me of my Uncle (who has long since passed).

It is not something I would wear but it definitely brought back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Fragrant related memories of family members are some of my favorite moments with scents.

My point is: Just as I was about to leave the last one, I saw a HUGE bottle of British Sterling on the bottom row. My father used to wear BS all of the time when I was growing up. I opened up the box (it was unsealed) and inhaled the scent. Of course, just like you mentioned Indie, the memories came flooding in my mind. I left the shop with a smile, thinking of my wonderful Dad.

OH - and BTW Indie, Givenchy re-released MdG this year with a few other scents (Xeryus, Organza Indecence, etc) with brand new packaging - minus the tacky cap:

Yep, that's the bottle that my MdG came in. I just don't like the cap. Plus I hate frosted glass-- it gets scratched and marked up so easily. Still, the scent's awesome.

I hear you on the British Sterling-- my dad wore that as well. Sometimes when I visit my parents, I sneak into their room and sniff all of their perfumes and colognes. They still have all of them on their dresser shelf.

Maxpower, you should give wearing Monsieur de Givenchy a try. I can't see it not working for any man. I can't wait to wear this to work tomorrow.

A great story and a wonderful fragrance. My story. I was returning from London trying to make my plane and I got stuck with some British pounds in my pocket and needed to spend them before departing for the U.S. As I raced to the plane I saw the Monsier Givenchy in the duty free shop for exactly what I had left in the pocket and snatched a bottle - relieving me of my extra non U.S. currency before departure.

I have been amazed at what a great minimal citrus scent Monsier Givenchy is! Perfect for dress or anytime you want to feel refreshed and right with the world. This juice satisfies the same niche as: Hermes Eau de Orange Vert, Guerlain Imperiale or Eau de Cologne, Chanel Eau de Colognes (esclusifs) - a dry burst of freshness and clean proper attitude. I think Monsier G is my favorite in its category - certainly it is as good as the best. I also tested Givenchy's new rerelease of Vetyver on the trip in London, but hesitated to buy and still miss getting that one - a great dry vetiver. Can't find Givenchy Vetyver anywhere here in the U.S. yet. Although some Nordstrums carry the Monsier and they will eventually get the Vetyver too. Both are top of their class!

Thanks for sharing that Indie_Guy, very nice post. It is an amazing aspect of smell , where it takes us back to memories and all of the past. I've always been tempted to purchase Monsier Givenchy, because it looks soo classic and essentially, it is. I thought the old school bottle looked sharp and the frag notes seemed harmless, but pleasant. It is too bad they changed the bottle, but judging how other works have been 'redone' physically ( not just with perfume), it could have been worse.

Here's hoping I can actually find a shop where I live that has a tester , just to be sure it is ok for myself.

Have been wearing this for past 3 days and I can already say its one of the best citruses I have tried. Its got more bite and character than the stoic Eau Sauvage. The superbly balanced citrus-lavender opening reverberates at a perfect pitch, but the real kicker is the drydown of civet and musk....the civet isnt overtly animalic, but instead its muskier floral aspects are highlighted (if you have ever played with civet EO, you know how it opens all musky and floral before turning fecal).

I need to wear it more to get to a final conclusion but I can't imagine giving this anything but a thumbs up.
    -

My friend, I wore Monsieur de Givenchy back in the 60's. To this day it is one of my favorites. You have excellent taste. Classy, too. I am happy to hear that you also appreciate Hermes. Try Equipage....it is timeless. Your taste in frags tells people that you do not follow the trends of the present day. Good for you! You have more depth, class, and sophistication than the "average" guy.

Thanks for a nice review! I consider myself a newly won over fan of Eau Sauvage and will be trying similar ones. Sounds like MdG will have to be added to that list.

I realize that I'm replying to a 2008 post, but I just recently found a reasonably priced (($66.00) 3.4 size pf Givenchy Vetyver at Dillards http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/s...ver&R=02910146 Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for the review, this frag simply has to belong in almost any classic, conservative wardrobe