• Montale Roses Musk

0 0%
  • Artisan Parfumeur Mechant Loup

10 12.99%
  • Tann Rokka Signature/Kisu

0 0%
  • Il Profumo Chocolat Amere

2 2.60%
  • Someting else from my wardrobe.. name it!

13 16.88%

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pick it! 1st date scent!

First date. A cupid date. A hair stylist. A nice restaurant. Tomorrow.
    WHAT TO WEAR?
    Better description... I got my hair cut today and my stylist said she wanted to set me up with one of the other stylists there. I told her to go for it and thought the girl was attractive so left thinking it could turn out well. Well.. a few hours later, my stylist calls and give me the girl's number and said she was also interested. I called, she had a great personality, had a good chat, and set up the date. Himalaya has long been my lucky charm for job interviews and has been successful every time but I'm still trying to figure out a good (lightly applied of course) date scent.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 8th June 2008 at 02:59 AM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pick it! 1st date scent!

M7. It will knock her curls off!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

You want your personality to shine, not your fragrance! And you want to be abel to taste and smell the food, not the gourmand scent you're wearing.... so I'd suggest something light and close to the skin from your collection... hope it's a great date!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm in Santemon's camp. A light scent that your date will just catch whiffs of. You want your date paying attention to you and not thinking "What's that smell and how quickly can I get away from it?" Better to have your date leaning in to try and get a sniff of "that great scent".

I think Mechant Loup would be the ticket. A nice hazelnut and honey that smells delicious, has the right sillage for a date, and isn't overpowering or a proejction monster.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Mechant Loup

It's not in the L'Artisan Charmer Trio because it scares people off

Post Thanks / Like

Creed MI is the obvious choice.

I think Chez Bond would be a great choice. Its not too heavy or too light. Women seem to like it as well.

Chez Bond lightly applied sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like

Original Vetiver, just a hunch.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Don't wear Black Orchid, way to drag queen. But, I like the idea of a gourmand to get the sexy vibe thing going. What about New Haarlem? You will be sending out the message: drink me.

Black Orchid
    Black Aoud
    CDG 2 man
    Tea For Two

I'd pick something between these...

I picked Bleeker Street because it is awesome. Black Aoud would have been great but you don't have it. I have not tried Rose Musk but it sounds wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Don't wear Black Orchid, way to drag queen. But, I like the idea of a gourmand to get the sexy vibe thing going. What about New Haarlem? You will be sending out the message: drink me.
    Agreed - gourmand is memorable, and if you hit the right one under the right circumstances....mmmm. The question is what you want, and what you think she wants.

Light, inoffensive scents are good choices if your goal is simply not to offend. I also agree with what has been said about keeping the focus on each other and not on the scent. But bear in mind that a stylist may judge better on this than most. So... uncommon is probably good. She probably gets more Acqua di Gio than she would like. The L'Artisan might be a good choice in that respect. But you have a lot of good ones, so I doubt that you'll miss by much if any. I'm curious what you have worn into the stylist's in the past, because if there is any chance that you've already impressed her with something, that could influence the choice.

I agree with Mike if you go Creed - save Himalaya for a later date! The only risk with MI might be coming off too Wall Street. That's the way it smells to me. I also saw from your latest wardrobe picture that you have (I think) VIW. One of my favorite SAs loves that on her husband and on herself. It could be a good "I want to hang around this guy a lot" scent. On a good beach, everybody can be themselves, too.

Be careful with something you're not familiar with applying. Too much or too little is a mistake I generally make when I try to impress with something new to the wardrobe. I think too much is the greatest danger here.

But then again, if you think she just wants to rip your clothes off, and you're not shy to that possibility, then gourmand may be just the ticket!

Post Thanks / Like

If that's a picture of you in your Avatar (which I loooove), you definitely need Musc Ravageur !
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked Mechant Loup!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you wear make sure you like it, cos chances are if things go well, she'll be wanting you to wear it often
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Pick it! 1st date scent!

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Hm . . . I wonder why samplermike's reply doesn't surprise me?

My psychic powers are returning at last!!!

Aw, to hell with it, I'll be a Creedhead as well, and pick Himalaya.

I don't think a gourmand or a heavy oriental is a good choice for a restaurant--you don't want to compete with dessert.

I confess I've never even heard of Cereus # 7 let alone smelled it. Neither have I sampled Montale Roses Musk nor Tann Rokka Signature/Kisu. Ditto for Il Profumo Chocolat Amere but I'm familiar with others in that line. Perhaps you can give us some quick reviews?

Anyway, best of luck!

" There is no cure for love, except to love even more. "---French proverb.

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Hmmm...You kinda have to have an idea of what the heavy hitters of your wardrobe are, as far as relating to going on a date, and what a girl will react to. It all depends on what you would want to convey. I would think that something like Chez Bond or GIT would definately convey class/status and something like MI or SMW would give off that Creed "house" drydown that is very sensual and appealing.

But here lies the problem: You don't want to put on a fragrance, and think and expect it to work wonders like, say, in the scenario with Matt Damon in Ocean's 13, because in that case it very often is self defeating. Whatever you chose, just put it on and don't think about it anymore...because it is NOT that important, and the two of you will have a great time and she'll love the way you smell. That being said, Chez Bond or GIT would both be great choices, with myself slightly favoring GIT applied about an hour before meeting.

I think Millesime Imperial would be a great choice. It straddles the line between being "safe" and being dazzling. It just smells amazing, no other qualities need be worried about. I think of Paul_G and his Hooters waitress story every time. MI just has a technicolor radiance and a mouthwatering effect on women.

Then after the first date, it's safe to take a few chances with something like Mechant Loup-- I've had several women go ga-ga over it, while only a few didn't like it.

A lot of your choices I haven't smelled, but I'd pick MI anyway. Good luck-- let us know how it turns out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Santemon View Post
    You want your personality to shine, not your fragrance! And you want to be abel to taste and smell the food, not the gourmand scent you're wearing.... so I'd suggest something light and close to the skin from your collection... hope it's a great date!
    After I read your comments I looked at his wardrobe and immediately thought about one of those Demeters.

Of course, those would probably only work if it was a short date.

Oh, and not "Dirt!"

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Wear a light application of your current favorite. Have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

And the MIs have it. Don't fail me, shiny gold!

I was totally going to suggest a light Creed or Bond. Gourmands can often be too overpowering and say too much about you before you've even opened your mouth. I recently smelled Lolita Lempicke on someone at an Italian restaurant and I could barely enjoy my food. I think you've made a very wise decision, especially in the heat of Florida!!! Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    My obvious choice would be to choose something not so obvious like New Haarlem.

Post Thanks / Like

it went great MI worked fine and was not even thought of.. a nice background. There'll be a second date! (and more, i hope!)

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats jrd4t!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    it went great MI worked fine and was not even thought of.. a nice background. There'll be a second date! (and more, i hope!)
    Congratulations! And it's great that you want to see each other again. That's what it's all about.

Now that's interesting - real data, and fresh, too. I'll break out my sample of MI and give it a try on the wife this week. I think it's smart that you went with something that you both like and are familiar with, and kept it low-key ("...not even thought of...").

Point of curiosity - from your point of view - was it easy to pick MI from the thread responses, or did you have to do some mental grinding to extract that choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Congratulations! And it's great that you want to see each other again. That's what it's all about.

Now that's interesting - real data, and fresh, too. I'll break out my sample of MI and give it a try on the wife this week. I think it's smart that you went with something that you both like and are familiar with, and kept it low-key ("...not even thought of...").

Point of curiosity - from your point of view - was it easy to pick MI from the thread responses, or did you have to do some mental grinding to extract that choice?
    well, i had to think about it because usually those types are the knee jerk type recommendations, likely weighted by their reputations and name. it really did fit well though.. crisp, light, and fresh. if you're familiar with seasons 52 restaurant, it's a health-conscious, upscale, contemporary while still rustic place by good ol' darden restaurants. very fitting for that type of scent. when someone walked by our table doused with sweet perfume, i was quite glad i chose something light

A good choice indeed. I was going to recommend MI or Cereus #7 - the latter being perhaps a bit more distant and 'professional' smelling (whatever that means).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

don´t choose an aggresiv or cloying fragrance...something nice & smooth...I would choose M. Imperial...it is fresh and (sweet-woody)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Pick it! 1st date scent!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Congrats to you and to your partner, who date a basenoter*!

*From an encyclopedia: Basenoter is a word which is used to describe a person with great artistic taste in perfumes!