Code of Conduct

Default Polo Double Black -vs- Lolita Lempicka

OK, scratch the other ones, let's just compare Polo Double Black with Lolita Lempicka.

Both are chocolate-ish sweet. LL has a strong anise note while PDB seems more subdued. In your opinion, are they similar enough that only one is needed, or is there room for both? I'm trying to minimize redundancy whenever possible. Thanks.
    Last edited by karisuma; 12th February 2009 at 02:58 AM.

Default Re: Polo Double Black -vs- Everlast, Opium, Mustang, Lolita Lempicka

The only one I'd personally consider somewhat close to Double Black is Au Masculin. I for sure don't get any Opium PH or Mustang out of Polo Double Black, and to be fair I haven't sniffed Everlast. If you don't already have Lolita Lempica Au Masculin, and live in a warmer climate, consider getting Polo Double Black instead of Au Masculin. I find that Double Black doesn't go on as heavy as Au Masculin and ends up being extremely similar once it starts drying down.

Blog Entries

If you have a bunch of similar scents why get it just because it's similar? Why not get something completely different?

That's rhetorical, by the way, I quite like PDB but don't see the connections to Opium or Everlast, and haven't tried the other two.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Okay, I've tried all of these except perhaps Mustang. I have a Mustang bottle that looks like Polo Green and smells like it too, so I don't think that's the one. The others are not similar at all. PDB has an accord that is too harsh for me, but it does have strong coffee which the others don't. EO 1910 is a well done citrus leather that is "filled out" by other notes that you wouldn't think would work together in the same frag. Opium has that root beer/minty tooth paste thing I dislike, so after sampling once several months ago I've avoided it. LLaM is too anistic for me, but for those who like anise frags, this might be the one to get (it's fairly cheap and well done).

To answer your question, only get PDB if you like it. Don't worry about other frags in your wardrobe. I'd say get a sample or decant and wear it several times over the course of at least 2 months. If you still like it, then buy a bottle.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th February 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Of all the frags listed, my favorite is Opium and PDB. I honestly don't think you need the others if you have these two. Opium and PDB are quite a bit different. If you have Opium, no need for Everlast or Lolita. Opium is a classic, somewhat of a comfort scent that all should have. Not sure on Mustang, though.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I have Double Black and Everlast Original and have tried Mustang a couple of times, and I don’t notice any striking similarities; can’t say anything about the other two because I’ve never tried them.

Actually I have both the regular Polo Black and Double Black, and I like the regular Black better. There’s something in Double Black that makes me smell like a taco, and I didn’t like it at all when I first tried it, but eventually I came to like it. I still like the regular Black better and think it lasts longer too. I know that wasn’t your question, but I thought I’d throw it in there anyway.

If you like Double Black, I see no reason not to get it even if you have the others.

To be honest I don't pick up any coffee in PDB; maybe a tiny lil' chocolate. I do have a sample so I'll reapply to see if I pick up anything new.

OK, scratch the other ones, let's just compare Polo Double Black with Lolita Lempicka.

Both are chocolate-ish sweet. LL has a strong anise note while PDB seems more subdued. In your opinion, are they similar enough that only one is needed? I'm trying to minimize redundancy whenever possible, thanks.
    Last edited by karisuma; 12th February 2009 at 02:58 AM.

Default Re: Polo Double Black -vs- Lolita Lempicka

I'd go for Azzaro over LLaM and Jacomo Silver over PDB. And no, they are quite different. Perhaps if you said LLaM and Body Kouros, I might agree (I'd have to sample them at least one more time, but I don't like most anise frags). Another is Etro's Anice. This smells like an Italian cookie type of thing, and while I won't wear it often, I like having a decent size decant of it around.

Au Masculin and PDB aren't terribly similar. You could easily buy both and have two unique frags. But if you want one- go with Au Masculin. It is light years more original.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Another confession: the much-praised opening (first 3 min) of Double Black smells like dried shrimp to me:

Good grief. I've just experienced something that I've never experienced before.

First, let me say something about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly
    EO 1910 is a well done citrus leather
    You're absolutely right, but for some reason I could never detect the citrus before. All I smelled was a lot of sweetness. Of course, I am a newbie so I'm not good at picking out notes, but for this one in particular I think my nose was a little funny.

So how come I can smell the citrus now now? Funnily enough, I've fatigued my olfactory system with too much Double Black up close and I can't smell any sweetness right now. I've tried several sweet fragrances and they all do not smell sweet to me right now. Well, this is when the citrus came out of Everlast for the first time for me. I had to smell it a couple of times to make sure I got the right scent, because it seems so different without me being able to smell the sweetness! But this way I can penetrate the sweetness and detect the other notes.

Bigsly, would you say that Everlast is a very sweet fragrance to your nose?

Polo Double Black only lasts around three hours on me. Lempicka lasts much longer.

Why bother with short lasting scents?

It's not like they give you a bottle twice the size at the same price as that of a long lasting scent to make up for it.
    Renato

Hmm on me it seems to last longer, maybe 5 - 7 hours.

Neither.
    LL is anise hell for me
    DB is a bad fuity-aquatic with some woods.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

If you like those fragrances, i will recomend L`Instant de Guerlain Extreem instead. Fabulous longevity, very elegant, and much more sophisticated than the other two..

The two scents in question aren't similar at all. It would be perfectly acceptable to have both in your wardrobe. Out of the two, I prefer PDB. LLAM smells too much like black jelly beans for me to take it seriously. PDB goes from pepper to mango to nutmeg on me. It lasts a long time and it's the type of scent you can apply generously and not worry about overpowering anyone. I actually owned for a time, but eventually tired of it and sold it...

L'Instant Extreme EdP is excellent as well and I would suggest that over both...

No, EO 1910 I'd consider well-balanced, with a little sweetness (the citrus might "fake you" into thinking it's sweeter than it actually is), compared to something like A*Men. Victory League is a little sweeter than EO 1910, for example, but not up there in super sweet territory.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th February 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Victory League is a little sweeter than EO 1910, for example, but not up there in super sweet territory.
    Funny you bring this up, b/c I almost put that in the original comparison list. To me VL is extremely sweet and in fact I don't know any other word that I can use to describe it besides "sweet".

Anyway, what in your opinion are in the super sweet category?

I'd have to go by memory for some of this, so keep that in mind. I think the Le Male ones (Cuba Gold and a Perry Ellis one too) are sweeter (along with A*Men), but it may have to do with what else is going on in the frag. Devotion for Men, Corinto Silver, and Coty's Raw Vanilla, I think, have strong geranium with the sweetness, which seems to really amp it up (for me, at least), whereas the tar in A*Men may have the opposite effect. I find that the sweetness in VL is nicely balanced by the grass, basil, and cedar, but one might argue that the "objective" sweetness is very close.

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Hmm on me it seems to last longer, maybe 5 - 7 hours.
    That's good, though it makes your decision less clear cut than in my case.

What I like about Lempicka isn't the smell of licorice/jelly beans or whatever, but the smell of licorice wood. Once I noticed that it was a wood I was picking up on, it became quite addictive.

As for your question about what's most sweet, to me it would be a toss up between Le Male, Gaultier Squared and Pi.
    Renato

Personally I prefer the Lolita Lempicka, and I don't find it similar to PDB at all. PDB has a really synthetic green mango note in its opening that kinda bothers me. I love mangos, and would relish a ripe. yellow mango scent, but not in the mango note in PDB