Code of Conduct

Default If Patou Pour Homme Were Released Today...

to do think it'd be a popular seller?

PPH is widely regarded as the finest men's fragrance ever released, though others might propose another candidate, and others might even debate what "best" means. To me, though, this is far and away my Holy Grail of scents. The notes and the blending are beyod masterful, and no other scent in my collection makes me feel better about wearing it.

That being said, though, I wonder if PPH would make it in today's market. It's a "dated" scent, and by "dated," I don't mean it smells old-fashioned or like your granddad's scent. It just means that it's a very formal scent, far more appropriate for the boardroom meeting than, say, working around the house or going clubbing. Mass tastes have changed away from fragrances being formal to being casual and approachable, "fresh/aquatic"
    In fact, if you go to Macy's or any other popular retailer, there are very few "formal" scents out there. I would think of a few Chanels (Pour Monsieur) or a few Guerlains (Mouchoir de Monsieur) that fit this category, and even they aren't sold popularly. Can see see the look on the average guy's face after he samples a Boss or a Aqua de Gio and then sniffs MdM? And of course these sell only a fraction of the more formal scents. Most "formal" scents seem to be almost exclusively, though not wholly, niche.

My answer would be no. Outside of fragrance lovers like B'noters, I think the mass audience would dismiss a re-released PPH. I don't know why this one was discontinued to start with, but I suspect like most fragrances that get discontined, the answer is that it just didn't make enough money. While WE could buy it, I wonder if the "average" guy, for which fragrance rarely crosses his mind, would find this one appealing.

You think? And if it WERE re-released, would it somehow slightly tarish its mystique?
    Last edited by Butthead53; 11th February 2009 at 04:45 PM.

Default Re: If Patou Pour Homme Were Released Today...

I can't think of one incidence where a discontinued fragrance, that has been re-released, has subsequently become a 'hit'. Anybody disagree?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th February 2009 at 01:22 PM.

Blog Entries

first of all, i've never tried Patou Pour Homme.

2nd of all....it was likely discontinued for a reason....as far as i know it was never a 'big seller'...and probably never would be.

it definitely has one of THE ugliest bottles i've ever seen...and if it was introduced today again with that bottle, i can't really see men gravitating toward that bottle with the name "Patou"...not exactly a 'badass' name---------sounds like a short fat bald man selling 2 day-old newspapers on a street corner!

the mainstream market wants 'cool' and 'modern' and 'interesting'....Patou doesn't seem like any of those. It might be a great scent with great construction----but that means NOTHING to the general public....look at the most popular scents at the moment--- most of em are absolute pish.
    Last edited by everso; 11th February 2009 at 01:59 PM.

diagnosis:stop seeing their ridiculous prices ( i see here for +300 dollars,ridiculous) and fall in popularity.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

There would certainly be a market for it, but how much would have to sell to be a commercial success?

No.

I agree with just about everything that's already been said. I think today's mainstream fragrance consumer would unfortunately consider one of the finest masculine fragrances ever created to be too strong, too stuffy, too old man. Sigh...

Sure, there would be a small market for it, but probably not enough to be worth Patou's effort. And of course it would have to be reformulated first and who knows how that would turn out!

Until we can wean most people off fragrance Kool-Aid and get them onto fragrance fine wines I suppose we should be grateful that we have anything of substance remaining on the market.

noggs

Release it under a different name as a $300 niche, add some Iso E Super and you may have a high end hit. Actually Privé would be the better choice for a re-release, though.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Aside from the fact that I disagree with your basic premise ("PPH is widely regarded as the finest men's fragrance ever released"), I'll answer: no.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

It wouldn't sell. Not at stores like Macy's.

I can't see a girl picking up the bottle in the first place (It's not colorful or endorsed by a celebrity), and sniffing it and liking it. It's "too much of what it is", if that makes any sense. Notes actually present themselves. The experience is almost shockingly resolute. Too specific for today's bubble-gummy crowd. If we muddied everything together, and added the common synthetic overtone, tripled the sweetness factor, and had Pierce Brosnan's face on the display at Target, then it would sell.

Can you tell that I've lost faith in the tastes of those around me?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

honestly, i dont know. practically, if Creed's Bos Du Portugal has a market...or if Guerlains Heritage still has a market, then i dont see a reason why this shouldnt. i have no idea on as to how people outside Basenotes view this but this, is no ordinary scent & it fulfills all the criteria of a perfect scent which is, it smells great, has complex progressions, top notch quality & amazing staying power.

on the packaging, to each his own. i find the presentation discreet but with class. just see the photos posted on "post a picture of your collection" thread. Patou Ph bottle looks majestic(to me).

If this "Patou" were re-released or never had be discontinued, it would never have been sorely missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Too specific for today's bubble-gummy crowd. If we muddied everything together, and added the common synthetic overtone, tripled the sweetness factor, and had Pierce Brosnan's face on the display at Target, then it would sell.

Can you tell that I've lost faith in the tastes of those around me?
    That's classic!

smeller

Despite of everything being said, I'm pretty sure it would sell. Not a huge seller like Armani Code or Acqua di Gio, but more like Givenchy Gentleman or Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme. Especially if you market it as a niche and make it expensive.

Patou's Joy was a big seller after the 1929 crash, being marketed as the most expensive of the world. Also Patou pour homme evokes a kind of luxury that may be very appealing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by rorschuck View Post
    Aside from the fact that I disagree with your basic premise ("PPH is widely regarded as the finest men's fragrance ever released"), I'll answer: no.
    What, in your opinion, is?

Or is that a meaningless question?

LOL..this has the makings of a new thread..."What's the Finest Men's Cologne Ever Made?"
    Last edited by Butthead53; 11th February 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    What, in your opinion, is?

Or is that a meaningless question?

LOL..this has the makings of a new thread..."What's the Finest Men's Cologne Ever Made?"
    In my opinion (not worth much), it would probably be vintage Derby, by Guerlain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rorschuck View Post
    In my opinion (not worth much), it would probably be vintage Derby, by Guerlain.
    Derby would be knocked out in the 2nd round by Knize Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Derby would be knocked out in the 2nd round by Knize Ten.
    And then New York and Azzaro PH would tag-team Ten's punkass after the bell!

I need to get a sample of ptou and knize ten i suppose

Patou sucks. I bought a sample of PPH and the Prive, and I still don't get it. Maybe if I make it to 50 y/o, it'll make sense to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    if I make it to 50 y/o, it'll make sense to me?
    is there any hope/guarantee of you making (sense) then...?

smeller

Patou sucks. I bought a sample of PPH and the Prive, and I still don't get it. Maybe if I make it to 50 y/o, it'll make sense to me?
    I see from other thread that Eau Sauvage doesn't make any sense to you either, so don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    is there any hope/guarantee of you making (sense) then...?
    Well if I cut back on the fatty foods, perhaps I will make it to 50 and learn to appreciate this fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I see from other thread that Eau Sauvage doesn't make any sense to you either, so don't worry.
    Neither make no sense at all. There are fragrances FAAAAR superior than these two.

smeller

Neither make no sense at all. There are fragrances FAAAAR superior than these two.
    That's ok for me, but could you name some of them?

Quote Originally Posted by larwiz View Post
    patou sucks. I bought a sample of pph and the prive, and i still don't get it. Maybe if i make it to 50 y/o, it'll make sense to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by larwiz View Post
    neither make no sense at all. There are fragrances faaaar superior than these two.
    must....not....respond......
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    you know you wanna reply..

COME ON!

do it....say it!

Oh come on....everyone has a right to an opinion...

We can't put people's heads on a gun point & tell them to confess that they 'love' patou pour homme....

Some like it, some 'love' it, some think 'it is juice of the gods' & ofcourse some think it is 'worthless'.

Ofcourse the opinions keep changing all the time....when I tried Patou ph for the first time, it didn't blow me away .....well now....
    Last edited by gupts; 12th February 2009 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Release it under a different name as a $300 niche, add some Iso E Super and you may have a high end hit.
    Add enough Iso E Super and it would likely bear some resemblance to Ormonde Man.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    That's ok for me, but could you name some of them?

See my wardrobe.

smeller

Nice wardrobe, Larwiz. Thanks for answering.

Sorry.

Last edited by smeller; 12th February 2009 at 02:31 AM.

Patou pour Homme is endlessly interesting fragrance. It smells great too. If it was rereleased it would need a total makeover of the bottle design and box design. But, if it got an updated image to move away from the big 80's disco look - it would do as well as any other excellent niche scents.

But think of all these that are great scents that have literally no USA distribution.

Czech & Speake No. 88
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Pascal Morabito OR Black
    Black Aoud
    Miller Harris Nouvelle Edition Series
    Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    Macassar pour Homme

All of these are fantastic fragrances but distribution is so limited that their sales must be very very low. It is difficult for a company to get national distribution in the USA unless they are a part of one of the major conglomerates. So I think PPH would never do extremely well because how the fragrance is, is seldom the reason sales are good. That comes from marketing excellence.

[QUOTE=smeller;1432285]Nice wardrobe, Larwiz. Thanks for answering.

Any time...

If Patou por homme were rereleased, it would certainly be a hit with me.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

with such absurd bottle prices how can i sample it? and will the sample even be any good after all this time?

See my wardrobe.
    All I can see is... MAN you got a sweet taste!!! Don't you feel a little too famine or cloying?

What ugly bottles, big 80s disco look??? Are you people serious? Perhaps discreet and elegant.., no makeover needed at all.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    What ugly bottles, big 80s disco look??? Are you people serious? Perhaps discreet and elegant.., no makeover needed at all.
    Well this is all make believe anyway. It's just an opnion. If I could direct the reintroduction of PPH how would I present it?

You are right, their bottles are elegant in modern way. Patou did the 80's modern look well. But "modern elegance" is very old fashioned nowadays. Something more post modern, or probably natural minimalism, or softer and more useable. It's just my opinion, but I think their bottles are unappealing in style and totally outdated. Also, the flat style bottle like the second photo (I've owned both Prive and PPH in this style) is incredibly difficult to use! It is oblong and takes up lots of shelf space and awkward to remove the cap.

Modern elegance was all the style in the 80's and Jean Patou did a nice job of elegant looking bottles and how about those burl wood looking boxes! Elegance was all about sleek lines and luxurious looking finishes. It was appropriate for the times, but times have changed! Modern and Elegant is not as appealing in todays world of product presentation. I would say go with a more minimal softer design that keeps the angular original geometry of the bottles but removes the flashy glitzy look and replaces this with natural richness, softer textures. Try understated finishes and easier to use bottle designs. Replace the "Cadillac" or "Lincoln Town Car" look with a "Lexus" or new "Bentley" look. Softer natural minimalism rather than hard and shiny elegance.

But nobody will be asking me anyway so I am just saying in response to "if Patou Pour Homme Were Released Today . . ." I would amend the product presentation slightly so people would be aware it is a new product but also aware that it kept the best of the old product - the unchanged fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by abc1234 View Post
    All I can see is... MAN you got a sweet taste!!! Don't you feel a little too famine or cloying?
    I feel like a man who knows he can catch more bees with honey than, say, vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I can't think of one incidence where a discontinued fragrance, that has been re-released, has subsequently become a 'hit'. Anybody disagree?
    Since no one else has attempted to answer Ruggles's question, let me try: is DK Fuel for Men an example of this phenomenon?

There's a big difference between saying "I don't get X" or "I don't like X" and saying "X sucks." The first two are expressions of one's personal opinion that leave room for others to disagree; the last is a claim that those who disagree are entirely wrong.

And you don't have to be 50 (I know I'm not) to think that "PPH sucks!" or "Eau Sauvage sucks!" are pretty silly opinions, even if you don't happen to like these perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Since no one else has attempted to answer Ruggles's question, let me try: is DK Fuel for Men an example of this phenomenon?

There's a big difference between saying "I don't get X" or "I don't like X" and saying "X sucks." The first two are expressions of one's personal opinion that leave room for others to disagree; the last is a claim that those who disagree are entirely wrong.

And you don't have to be 50 (I know I'm not) to think that "PPH sucks!" or "Eau Sauvage sucks!" are pretty silly opinions, even if you don't happen to like these perfumes.
    Perceptions, perspectives and opinions...that's what these forums entail. If you think my opinion is silly, guess what? That is your...what was the word I used?...OPINION. I think Patou sucks. My opinion. I think your opinion that my opinion is silly...is silly. lol (<---excuse my vindictiveness, lol) Ok, seriously...silly is not the word to describe your opinion of what I said...it's moreso amusing.

Ya know, as I perused through this thread, I really asked myself if it was just me...if my opinion was somehow isolated. I asked my best friend to try both fragrances. He liked neither. I had my 58 y/o father try Eau Sauvage and Kouros at the same time on each wrist...he liked Kouros SURPRISINGLY (because I don't) and his exact words for E.S. were "No! This one stinks". Stinks! Hahahahahahahahaha!!! That one really tickled me. Easily tickled perhaps, lol. About the Patou and Prive...part of the reason I am so passionate about my dislike for these two is because my expectations were SOOO high! I mean...I've lurked in the most compliment threads/superfluous threads, and I constantly saw these two mentioned. So, I was very excited when I recieved my sample of the two via mail. I anxiously popped them open, placed both on each wrist, and sniffed. Sniffed, sniffed, and sniffed. I had my father try them both as well. Neither of us were impressed. I was disappointed. And I guess I may be somewhat vocal about my opinion of these fragrances because I simply feel they have not earned the praise they get. Aparently, many disagree. That's fine. My opinion remains the same though.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post

I just looked at your photos of Patou and it caused me to develop a pup tent.

I suppose it's a good thing that there many choices in fragrances. clearly not everyone is able to appreciate and enjoy the same things. I imagine the ability to detect certainly subtleties is not a trait we all share. It's likely genetically determined how we perceive fragrance and you can't blame those who "don't get it." Not everyone's body is capable of producing the desired effect with a frag.

As for Patou Pour Homme. To have lived through its production helps to understand its place as one of the great male frags of the century. It was unique. It stood out as refined yet modern. It never got trendy so it was never overused. I still have an old bottle and think that it certainly has a valid marketability today. It may not be the biggest money maker of the year but it would sell. frankly, I who needs another flash-in-the-pan, media blitzed, cologne du jour? Not me. Give me a well blended, complex, layered, fragrance experience that grabs me for its quality and not a flashy font across an airbrushed body part.
    Last edited by argogos; 12th February 2009 at 09:47 PM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Well this is all make believe anyway. It's just an opnion. If I could direct the reintroduction of PPH how would I present it?

You are right, their bottles are elegant in modern way. Patou did the 80's modern look well. But "modern elegance" is very old fashioned nowadays. Something more post modern, or probably natural minimalism, or softer and more useable. It's just my opinion, but I think their bottles are unappealing in style and totally outdated. Also, the flat style bottle like the second photo (I've owned both Prive and PPH in this style) is incredibly difficult to use! It is oblong and takes up lots of shelf space and awkward to remove the cap.

Modern elegance was all the style in the 80's and Jean Patou did a nice job of elegant looking bottles and how about those burl wood looking boxes! Elegance was all about sleek lines and luxurious looking finishes. It was appropriate for the times, but times have changed! Modern and Elegant is not as appealing in todays world of product presentation. I would say go with a more minimal softer design that keeps the angular original geometry of the bottles but removes the flashy glitzy look and replaces this with natural richness, softer textures. Try understated finishes and easier to use bottle designs. Replace the "Cadillac" or "Lincoln Town Car" look with a "Lexus" or new "Bentley" look. Softer natural minimalism rather than hard and shiny elegance.

But nobody will be asking me anyway so I am just saying in response to "if Patou Pour Homme Were Released Today . . ." I would amend the product presentation slightly so people would be aware it is a new product but also aware that it kept the best of the old product - the unchanged fragrance!
    Thanks for the post. A more minimal softer design sounds good. I respect your opinion although I don't consider these bottles to have a typical 80s (let alone disco) look. If you look at their older perfume bottles like Joy or 1000 you'll see that Patou was using this or very similar design including the oblong angular bottles long before the launch of PPH. I've always seen the PPH oblong bottle as being very much in line with the older Patou bottles/style. If I had to make any changes then it would be the box, which could perhaps be plain black with white print in style of, say, Egoiste.

On the mass/general market, I posit, Patou pour Homme would today go over like a turd in the governor's punch bowl.
    On the niche market, though, it would thrive as it did in the general market over two decades ago.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th February 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I just looked at your photos of Patou and it caused me to develop a pup tent.

Ditto that; I've got wood just lookin' at 'em!

As I said in the thread starter, PPH is "dated" but not in the traditional sense. Both the bottle and the juice are elegant and timeless.