Code of Conduct

Default First Impressions : Virgin Island Water

Virgin Island Water has always been one of the very few fragrances from this house that I've always wanted to try. The notes and the composition of VIW has always intrigued me ... I finally got to test it.. The weather here is damp and rainy so it's probably not the ideal setting to try a frag like VIW, but I tried it anyway. Here are my first impressions on this frag.

Immediately upon spraying on skin the "Pina Colada" references make sense.. it does smell like an exotic summer/beach cocktail. What I noticed was that It was almost instantly absorbed on my skin when I sprayed it.. leaving NO oily or sticky residue on my skin where it was sprayed. Within seconds a mildly sweet but noticably sour and "tangy" aroma enveloped me.. it smelled great, it wasn't too sour or overbearing but it was just about the right amount.

It continued to smell like an exotic cocktail drink until the mid notes where I could detect a soft coconut pulp aroma gently wrapped around ginger and rum, on instances I was able to detect these as individual notes but for the most part it smelled like a fine blend of these ingredients. The coconut note in it recalled to mind Hamptons by Bond No. 9... this note in VIW isn't as pronounced as it is in Hamptons and I like Hamptons more than VIW anyway.

The base smelled pretty flat to my nose, as flat as the floor of the house blown away in a hurricane. The "tanginess" of the lime was still present all way into the drydown and I could smell MORE of the lime against a sweetness of the sugarcane when I pressed my nose to my wrist.

So to conclude :
    Do I like it : Yes
    Will I buy it : No
    Why won't I buy it : I'd rather continue with Hamptons, it smells better than VIW.. although I understand that Hamptons and VIW *might* not fall in the same category but the differences between these two are not enough to warrant a seperate purchase of VIW.
    My rating : 2 out of 5 stars (based on a total of 3 spritzes, tested over a period of 2 days approximately)

Edit : Just wanted to add that this is NOT a full blown review, but rather a "first impression" like I said in the title of the thread.
    Last edited by Amit; 9th June 2008 at 02:27 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: First Impressions : Virgin Island Water

Your impressions are in line with mine, although to me it smelled more like a mojito, and not a piña colada.

The drydown was sweet with a little bit of tang; I liked it, but not enough to buy a bottle, or at least, not at retail prices.

I did smell Hamptons at the Saks store and I don't remember disliking it - maybe I'll give it another shot.

^ Hamptons is the better executed scent out of the two IMO.. you should certainly try it again. Smell it 10 seconds after you spray it tho, because the opening of Hamptons is quite synthetic and almost evoked a "WTF" reaction from me. Also, the drydown of Hamptons is to die for.. easily in my top 10.

[QUOTE=javagreen;1238237]The coconut note in it recalled to mind Hamptons by Bond No. 9... this note in VIW isn't as pronounced as it is in Hamptons and I like Hamptons more than VIW anyway.
    QUOTE]

did you mean Coney Island and not hamptons by any chance....? i have not sniffed any of the above so, pardon me...but based on the reviews here and notes it seems you meant Coney Island and not Hamptons...

[quote=jenson;1238301]
    Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    The coconut note in it recalled to mind Hamptons by Bond No. 9... this note in VIW isn't as pronounced as it is in Hamptons and I like Hamptons more than VIW anyway.
    QUOTE]

did you mean Coney Island and not hamptons by any chance....? i have not sniffed any of the above so, pardon me...but based on the reviews here and notes it seems you meant Coney Island and not Hamptons...
    Hamptons. I have smelled Coney Island too.. and it's way too sour/salty post the margarita like opening.. I haven't detected a coconut/copra note in it.

Hey Java!....Great going!!.....indeed your "First Impressions" are influencing my decision making..........any way........it very interesting!!
    Swap/Sale (India Only)

Kenzo Pour Homme (100ml 99% Full, Tester),
    Unbound Man (100ml 99% Full, Tester),
    Hanae Mori Man (100ml 99% Full, Tester),
    Burberrys Man (100ml 99% Full, Tester),
    Givenchy Blue Label (100ml 80% Full with Original Box)
    Hugo Boss Energise (125ml 80% Full, Tester)
    Givenchy Very Irresistable Fresh Attitude (50ml 99% Full, without Box),
    Chanel Allure Homme (50ml 100% Full, Sealed Original Packing),
    Dunhill Desire (100ml 100% Full, Sealed Original Packing),

I smelled pretty much every Bond No. 9, and there were very few that I liked even slightly. Coney Island smelled pretty weird, in an off-putting way. I didn't like that one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    I smelled pretty much every Bond No. 9, and there were very few that I liked even slightly. Coney Island smelled pretty weird, in an off-putting way. I didn't like that one at all.
    Agreed about the Coney Island. It wasn't bad per se.. but it smelled.. well.. cheap and NOT worth the price it was being sold for

Basenotes Institution

The lime you mentioned is my favorite part of VIW, and why I own a bottle. So tangy, salty and tenacious, without smelling too synthetic.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I prefer Azuree Soleil/Bronze Godess than VIW, it is sexier and lasts longer than the Creed (and it's much cheaper!)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The lime you mentioned is my favorite part of VIW, and why I own a bottle. So tangy, salty and tenacious, without smelling too synthetic.
    Agree about the Lime, it's completely natural smelling .. I suppose it's one of the strengths of the house.. the ingredients, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    I prefer Azuree Soleil/Bronze Godess than VIW, it is sexier and lasts longer than the Creed (and it's much cheaper!)
    Interesting..... i'll be on the lookout to sample these. I get about 4 hours from VIW, not too bad I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Interesting..... i'll be on the lookout to sample these. I get about 4 hours from VIW, not too bad I guess.
    That's two hours more than I got out of it.
    Renato

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterV View Post
    I like VIW but don't think it is worth the price. I also prefer Azuree Soleil/Bronze Goddess or Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts. I know they are not exactly the same, but similar enough for me when I want to wear a "fun, tropical scent".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't know if you've ever sampled Eau Exotique by Parfums de Nicolai. It's the sort of tropical fruity thing like VIW. The mexican lime note is better and has a similar musky drydown with vetiver always lurking in the backround. Very inetesting combo. VIW intially smells nice but becomes a little nauseating after a while. Eau de Exotique stays intriguing all the way through.

javagreen - Give Eau Exotique a sampling - You might enjoy it more than The Hamptons

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I don't know if you've ever sampled Eau Exotique by Parfums de Nicolai. It's the sort of tropical fruity thing like VIW. The mexican lime note is better and has a similar musky drydown with vetiver always lurking in the backround. Very inetesting combo. VIW intially smells nice but becomes a little nauseating after a while. Eau de Exotique stays intriguing all the way through.

javagreen - Give Eau Exotique a sampling - You might enjoy it more than The Hamptons
    Actually, I have smelled Eau Exotique - I thought it was very nice, but I don't really remember the prominent lime note. It reminded me of a very airy kind of Bahiana. I mean that as a compliment.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Actually, I have smelled Eau Exotique - I thought it was very nice, but I don't really remember the prominent lime note. It reminded me of a very airy kind of Bahiana. I mean that as a compliment.
    That's interesting. Mostly all I get is lime and vetiver. I got a sample of Bahiana last week, but I'm convinced someone decanted the wrong frag in the sample vial. Heavy cumin notes are not in Bahiana are they?

I think I love it already given your description of it. Gotta hunt for a sample!

I think Hampton's should be compared more closely (heck they are pretty much identical) to Silver Mountain Water. I still prefer the Bond though. IMO, VIW is the most overpriced Creed. too simple and it can get cloying quite easily.

That's interesting. Mostly all I get is lime and vetiver. I got a sample of Bahiana last week, but I'm convinced someone decanted the wrong frag in the sample vial. Heavy cumin notes are not in Bahiana are they?
    Cumin in in your sample of Bahiana? I think there's definitely something wrong here.