Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Most vile smelling thing ever!

I am curious to hear from others on this.

What, in your opinion is the most awful thing (fragrance) you have ever smelled?

For me, there is no question about it...Hypnose by Lancome is vile. How could anyone enjoy it? This stuff could be used in place of smelling salts to wake up football players that got a concussion. If this stuff could cure cancer, and I would rather have cancer . IMO of course.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Default Re: Most vile smelling thing ever!

The first thing that comes to mind is Dirty English by Juicy Couture.

That B.O. note is really upsetting to me.

Sur la Plage

Secretions Magnifique by Etat Libre d'Orange

Notes include Milk Accord, Blood Accord, Iodine Accord, Iris, Opoponax, Sandalwood
    Last edited by petruccijc; 9th June 2008 at 03:42 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I second Secretions Magnifique by Etat Libre d'Orange. No contest, really. Dirty English, Hypnose, anything else that you may feel "smells bad" smells absolutely wonderful compared to that nausea inducing "perfume."

At least Lancome and Juicy Coutoure are trying to smell good, Secretions is not trying to smell good at all.

Oh, and for a BO/Cumin note - try Eau d'Hermes. The "dirty underpants" odor is strong.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 9th June 2008 at 03:44 PM.
    ===
    ďÖ [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naÔve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.Ē ~ David Sedaris

I've never smelled SM. Sounds like they should change the name, eh?

Lipstick Rose by Freddy Malle.

Most anything with opoponax in it disgusts me. Ligea by Carthusia was just depressingly sickening to me.

Actually, the most vilest thing I'm smelled was Mambo for Men by Claibrone tied with 212 Sexy Men

I third Sécrétions Magnifiques. After having the misfortune of spraying some on my hand, all the previous scents that I'd classified as bad went up three notches to the "very good" category.

I described my experienced in this thread.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210188

I can't describe why it's vile to me, it's just an instinctive gag reaction that I have to it - which I'm not alone in having. But some people do like it.

Still every scent has it's uses. This scent could be useful during the questioning of suspects.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th June 2008 at 04:02 PM.

I think Secretions Magnifiques is going to be a clear winner here.

In the interests of furthering the discussion can we keep it to fragrances that are, actually, trying to smell good.

The fragrance which to this day still has the biggest Yuk! factor to me is A*Men.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Secretions Magnifique by Etat Libre d'Orange

Notes include Milk Accord, Blood Accord, Iodine Accord, Iris, Opoponax, Sandalwood
    blood accord...you must be kidding me....people actually wear this one...? i mean on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate its wearability...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think Secretions Magnifiques is going to be a clear winner here.

In the interests of furthering the discussion can we keep it to fragrances that are, actually, trying to smell good.

The fragrance which to this day still has the biggest Yuk! factor to me is A*Men.
    Good point. I find it unimagineable that they made Secretions Magnifiques with the intention of making it smell good on someone. Relative to Secretions Magnifiques, scents that I don't think were meant to be worn, like Demeter's Laundromat, suddenly seem quite wearable.

I wore A*men today.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Secretions Magnifiques--smells like what I imagine to be a dirty, bloody crime scene
    Yatagan and Tauer Incense Rose--sickening church incense scent
    Dirty English, Caron Pour un Homme, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa--nose-searing ammonia

I second Lipstick Rose by Frederic Malle. I also happen to think that Intimately Beckham for him is pretty potent.

Ava Luxe Shambala Tibet

/dabs

/dies
    Last edited by Amit; 9th June 2008 at 05:26 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

La Perla - Touch GrigioPerla

I tried it a couple of days ago out of a sample and it STANK. Funilly enough it got good reviews!
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Trussardi Light Him. Thankfully discontinued.

Horrendous.

Oh my lord...Secretions Magnifiques... where can I sniff this vile stuff?

Blog Entries

4711 ---- smelled like rotten garbage

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Oh my lord...Secretions Magnifiques... where can I sniff this vile stuff?
    I don't find it all that bad actually...just a salty floral/coconut combo. It does have a bit of "wet dog" in it though...I would never buy a bottle given that part.

You can get it at Henry Bendel in NYC.

Just 2 days ago I tried Hypnose and actually liked it. If the bottle weren't so ugly I probably would have bought it. Funny.

Thrax

Jicky EDP. I'd rather give birth to a porcupine that is one fire.

For me it was Yatagan....gak!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Trussardi Light Him. Thankfully discontinued.

Horrendous.

That's the one I was going to post!

I bought a bottle blind (thankfully for $10), smelled it once, wiped the vomit from my chin, threw it away the next day!

Looks like I have to find a bottle of Secretions Magnifiques though! Anything with as many vile reviews here has to be sampled at least once!
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 9th June 2008 at 07:49 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

For me it's Brut by Faberge.

I understand it was a lot better before it was reformulated.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wow, this "blood accord" sounds.... interesting. Who would ever think to include such a thing? Anyway, since I haven't smelled that particular one, I'm going to throw my vote in for the perfume "Design". I'm not even sure who makes it, but my mother in law absolutely adores it and truly considers it one of her best perfumes. It's just sickeningly sweet almost to the point of being vomit inducing, and it has a longevity like you wouldn't believe. It just will not die. *fullbodyshudder*

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    For me it's Brut by Faberge.

I understand it was a lot better before it was reformulated.
    Oh dear me yes it was. When I found some discontinued calvin I was immediately reminded of the old Brut but it's more like a cross between the old and new Bruts.

Oh well the new one is ugly.

SL Miel De Bois....the only scent I had to wash off.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Secretions Magnifiques--smells like what I imagine to be a dirty, bloody crime scene
    I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to smell the dirty, bloody crime scene.
    Renato

Spirit/Antonio Banderas. Extremely disagreeable with my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    SL Miel De Bois....the only scent I had to wash off.
    I agree. That stuff smells seriously bad, and it tops my most vile column.

Blog Entries

Michael Kors Michael for Men. On me, it just smells like an alcoholic florist on a three day bender while arranging gardenias at a rubbing alcohol convention. And that's my good review.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Spirit/Antonio Banderas. Extremely disagreeable with my nose.
    It didn't last on my long enough to get an impression of it or form some kind of opinion

its longevity is terrible
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I cannot stand the women's perfume Red Door. Just dreadful to my nose. When I was working at a low-level department store, none of the girls working the fragrance counter could stomach it either.

For men, I couldn't stand The Dreamer. I dunno if Sephora left an old bottle out, but I couldn't rise the stuff off fast enough.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Secretions Magnifiques - its SO out there its worth getting a bottle. I am sure it will be a classic reference point for years to come, people will continue to talk about it, and once discontinued, will sell on eBay for hundreds of dollars!

realities for men reminds me of those little snake things from fire works stands that grow when you set them on fire. It has nothing in it that i can recognize as desirable in any sense of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Michael Kors Michael for Men. On me, it just smells like an alcoholic florist on a three day bender while arranging gardenias at a rubbing alcohol convention. And that's my good review.
    oh- come on tell us how you really feel about it. you didnt help luca write his review, did you?

cheers,
    ryan

Fleur de Male

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post

Yeah.. Same here.. I sprayed this on my arm and wished i hadn't.. Couldn't even hang on for the drydown!! Yuk!!

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic as well.. Yuk!! Yuk!!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Bandit & Cabochard ... Both smell like rotting mouldy carpet with Bandit having extra burnt rubber notes !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Thumbs down Re: Most vile smelling thing ever!

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    I am curious to hear from others on this.

What, in your opinion is the most awful thing (fragrance) you have ever smelled?

For me, there is no question about it...Hypnose by Lancome is vile. How could anyone enjoy it? This stuff could be used in place of smelling salts to wake up football players that got a concussion. If this stuff could cure cancer, and I would rather have cancer . IMO of course.
    Most vile fragrances are the ones that make me feel physically sick when people are wearing them.Thesse include Givenchy Ysatis for women and Angel and A Men.Does anyone actually find these sents pleasant??

think it depends on the skin.My late Mum used to wear cabochard and it smelled great on her whereas with some others,as yousay it smells vile

Wearing Vraie Blonde made me feel nauseous... can't imagine how vile a fragrance could be if ELdO actually TRIED to make it stink.

My standard reply to this question is always Diptype l'Autre (sorry, SixCats!). Smells like a New Delhi bus in late afternoon. Perhaps SM could knock l'Autre from its Throne of Skank, but I haven't tried it yet and probably never will.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 10th June 2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
    Fleur de Male
    Have to agree with this one... not for me.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Bandit & Cabochard ... Both smell like rotting mouldy carpet with Bandit having extra burnt rubber notes !
    Vintage (preformulated) Cabochard smells wonderful...the current version smells putrid. I'm not a bit Bandit fan either...not sure which incarnation I smelled though (its been through many).

^^ I also agree about L'Autre...that stuff is rank.

I tested Habit Rouge and found it to be awful mix of pencil shavings and patchouli. Burberry classic was one I wanted to like, but the notes that sounded good didn't smell good together at all.

I don't know if it's my body chemistry or what but for me its:

Tabac Blond and Dzongkha
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

ďHastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.Ē--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I agree with Fleur du Male and would like to add Mesmerize by Avon.

Azzaro Pure Vetiver.

As Vile as any commercial grade resurfacing agent.
    Seemingly as toxic and dangerous as any industrial insecticide.
    No vetiver here.

Here goes some more:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ht=Worst+Smell
    Last edited by DULLAH; 12th June 2008 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Azzaro Pure Vetiver.

As Vile as any commercial grade resurfacing agent.
    Seemingly as toxic and dangerous as any industrial insecticide.
    No vetiver here.
    Funny, that's my favourite summer vetiver - fresh and crisp, and puts a big sillage aura around me, just like Azzaro Chrome does. But then again, I seem to be in the minority here on Chrome as well.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Funny, that's my favourite summer vetiver - fresh and crisp, and puts a big sillage aura around me, just like Azzaro Chrome does. But then again, I seem to be in the minority here on Chrome as well.
    Renato
    It wasn't my favourite but I used to own a bottle of Azzaro Pure Vetiver too, didn't buy it again tho.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Just 2 days ago I tried Hypnose and actually liked it. If the bottle weren't so ugly I probably would have bought it. Funny.
    hahaah i think the same ! anyway i like very much that fragance ... the bottle is really ugly to me, big, nothing comfortable and rough...

but the importan thing is the juice

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    My standard reply to this question is always Diptype l'Autre (sorry, SixCats!). Smells like a New Delhi bus in late afternoon. Perhaps SM could knock l'Autre from its Throne of Skank, but I haven't tried it yet and probably never will.
    Allright Sixcats where are you ? .

New Delhi bus in late afternoon huh, haven't done that in 34 years. Do you think if I tried that it will bring back memories ? LOL !!!

To my nose I could not stand Aspen, but I do know some people that smelled great when they had it on. Body chemistry guys , body chemistry.....
    Last edited by maisonstinky; 13th June 2008 at 12:02 AM.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Basenotes Institution

Secretions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange. I almost vomited. Quite horrible.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Secretions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange. I almost vomited. Quite horrible.
    I wonder if they'll ever put out an Extreme or Concentree version of Secretions Magnifiques?

It would be interesting seeing happy shoppers going along, grabbing a bottle and spraying some on their wrist to test, and observing the by-product.
    Renato

Tauer Incense Rose - first time I ever had to scrub something off... bad on my skin!
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Clearly, none of you has experienced Eau de Fier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by funnyboy View Post
    Most vile fragrances are the ones that make me feel physically sick when people are wearing them.Thesse include Givenchy Ysatis for women and Angel and A Men.Does anyone actually find these sents pleasant??
    A*Men is actually a comfort scent for me. I get a warm vibe, sugary sweetness and chocolate. I don't see what all the panic is over. Sounds like people overapplying to me.

Anyway, honestly I'm gonna have to say the worst one I've smelled was...Grey Flannel. I know it has it's fans, I just can't do it. It's stifling, it was to me the equivalent of taking a thick wool sock and sticking it down my throat just far enough to gag. Then leaving it there.

Caesars Man would be a close second, actually let me crosspost the relevant blog about it.

Caesars Man: Nuclear Freaking Deathbomb Posted on June 3rd, 2008 by Daniel

Ah, Caesars Man. You were almost my first online purchase, almost. Especially at $11 for a big olí 4.0 oz bottle. And in your immediate defense, you donít sound all that bad, with notes of Lime, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Amber, and Musk. Imagine my joy when I spot you at the local TJ Maxx. $9.99 for the same 4.0 oz bottle! Iím sold!

And thatís where it all went wrong.

Of course, I canít be too much of a prick about this, at $2.50 an ounce itís the cheapest cologne in my wardrobe. The initial burst is even rather pleasant! Nice crisp citrus with the edges slightly rounded by the sandalwood base. And I love sandalwood fragrances.

Give it about 30 minutes though, and you start to see another side. That citrus note gets a little too sweet, almost rotten, and it starts picking up a new note, which to me smells like fir or mint or pine. Something in that area. And then the base vanishes. So youíre left with rotten oranges and pine (rotten orange pine-sol?), and this will be the state of affairs for the next, oh, 15 hours. On two sprays. And Iíd really rather not project this stuff, so of course itís one of the great sillage monsters of my wardrobe.

Or it was, anyway. I gave the bottle to my Dad as I knew I honestly would never wear the stuff again. He took it with him on a vacation to Florida. When he returned a week later, he took his shaving bag and tossed it up on the counter. About a minute later I started smelling something, and something not particularly good either. With a lurching suspicion, I approach the bag and the scent grows stronger. I open the zipper and see a puddle of Caesars Man in the bottom of the bag.

By the way, just so you know, itís a screw-top. And apparently it can work itself loose of itís own volition.

Our bathroom smelled like Caesars man for every bit of two weeks or more. I would choke on this scent every time I went into the bathroom. After a while itíd literally make me sick to my stomach. I donít really ever want to smell it again.
    Bottom line: Friends donít let friends wear Caesars Man.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

It's probably just me, but I thought l'Homme Sage smelled like an ash-tray, and yes it made me feel physically sick...

Vile? Has to be Guerlain's Vetiver.

I know people love it- It makes me sweat and shake just thinking about it. Yuck.

Go figure- I love Bandit.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.