Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: How long does Silver Mountain Water last on you?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-2 hours

8 15.69%
  • 2-3 hours

8 15.69%
  • 3-4 hours

9 17.65%
  • 4-5 hours

4 7.84%
  • 5-6 hours

5 9.80%
  • 6+ hours

17 33.33%

Smile Silver Mountain Water: longevity issues

I picked up a bottle of Creed Silver Mountain Water yesterday and I love it. The only problem is: it seems to have a shorter longevity than Bulgari pour Homme, which I before regarded as a scent with minimal longevity! The weather is quite hot these days, and I do sweat a lot during the day, plus I have oily skin. So I have the feeling this shortens the lifespan of my SMW, instead of increasing it. After 2.5 hours, I can't detect it anymore on my skin, and faintly on my clothes.

When reading the reviews for SMW, I notice that approximately 80% of the people complain about the longevity, some not even getting 2 hours out of it, but some absolutely have no problems with longevity, claiming 8+ hours of presence! I know one guy who even says his SMW has a better longetivity than his GIT.

Why this discrepancy?

To test this, I sprayed one spray of SMW on a piece of paper before going to bed. Today in the morning I sniffed the paper again, and while faint, it still had a clear presence on the piece of paper.

So I conclude:

1) Maybe my skin chemistry just doesn't mix well with SMW
    2) Maybe I just need to spray more on my clothing than on my skin

I have had experience with frags with a short lifespan before, but SMW beats them all, so I'd like to have specific recommendations for Silver Mountain Water.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 11th June 2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Default Re: Silver Mountain Water: longetivity issues

use the help of your spouse/sibling/freind..and see if it lasts good on them...too much sweat could be a big culprit.....i know guys on whom scents like Lui and PM lasts for only a hour or so...so i guess there is no definite answer...

If i have duration problems with a scent i just move on to another..No scent works in the same way for everyone .. Its just how your nose has been trained over the years.. I cannot detect Bvlgari Black after 30mins where as everybody else says it has fantastic projection!
    Last edited by deck89; 11th June 2008 at 08:48 AM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

SMW goes 15 hours+ on me. And that's just two sprays under the shirt. My brother borrows my SMW and it's the same thing. One of the longest lasting fragrances I own.

Quote Originally Posted by deck89 View Post
    If i have duration problems with a scent i just move on to another..No scent works in the same way for everyone .. Its just how your nose has been trained over the years.. I cannot detect Bvlgari Black after 30mins where as everybody else says it has fantastic projection!
    Bulgari Black, that is another one of 'those' of mine: the first 30 minutes are awesome, but after 2 hours it's almost gone. While the same guy who told me SMW lasts much longer than his GIT gets incredible longevity with Bulgari Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    SMW goes 15 hours+ on me. And that's just two sprays under the shirt. My brother borrows my SMW and it's the same thing. One of the longest lasting fragrances I own.
    I have a suspicion that spraying on/under clothing might be the solution here, but I need some more test drives to confirm this.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 11th June 2008 at 09:43 AM.

It lasts on my skin the whole day...for me is SMW a strong fragrance. I can´t understand why some of you just get 2 hours out of it...maybe you think it´s gone, but it´s not...believe me...it doesn´t matter what kind of skin you have.
    A friend of mine went early in the morning to work (sprayed SMW) and came in the evening to my house. I was smelling his SMW...good sillage too

This is one of those 'I can't believe you....' things. I'm baffled, still, but wish to understand.

The main notes of Bvlgari Homme get very weak on me, and I complained here years ago that it was only good for two or three hours. But nowadays, I notice that what's left may be weakish, but it hangs around a lot longer that what I originally thought.

SMW has heaps of longevity on me. Easily lasts 8 or more hours. Has more strength than GIT.

I spray all my scents under my clothes.
    Renato

Default Re: Silver Mountain Water: longevity issues

I have a similar problem....but with me, its pretty much any Creed fragrance. I love Creed fragrances and own Erolfa, MI and GIT. The only one that lasts (faintly) more than 4 hours is GIT. Erolfa lasts about 3 and MI about 2.5 hours. These are all of course the MAX time...and the fragrances are usually just barely distinguishable on my skin.
    Its probably just my body chemistry, but I thought Creed was supposed to be "millesime," perfume strength juice. I would expect it to last longer than the more mainstream fragrances out there. But of course, there are not many fragrances that last more than 5 hours on me. Of the fragrances I own, the only ones that have the longevity to get me through most of the day are Acqua Di Gio, Very Irresistible, Obsession, Obsession Night and Curve (not my proudest...lol).
    But my best guess is that my skin chemistry plays a big part in it, and I don't know if there is anything really practical to do about that...so I pretty much need to reapply fragrances part way through the day if I want a fragrance to last all day :-(

Oh well....

Renato, I concur with Bulgari PH. When I first got it, compared to now, it seems my nose is detecting it quite a bit longer. But Bulgari PH is a very weak scent from the beginning, and it seems more obvious that it stays weak. My SMW is very loud from the beginning, but as soon as the middle notes are gone, it fades to nothing. Not even the musky base that Bulgari PH has, and SMW should have (with ambergris).

Jalexhrovat, that is very recognisable what you are saying. Today, I got 3 hours max on one full spray of SMW (and that's quite a lot from a Creed sprayer) on my chest. After that, I really, really don't smell anything anymore. Shocking.

With a GIT-decant a friend gave me, I easily got more than 5 hours out of it. While with him, SMW lasts longer than GIT. Very confusing.

The SMW I'm using is a legitimate tester from an eBay seller with >100.000 positive feedbacks, and the lot number is A3510A. I don't like those A's. Top- and middlenotes are perfect, if not a little overwhelming. It's the basenotes that are untracable after 3 hours.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 11th June 2008 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post

The SMW I'm using is a legitimate tester from an eBay seller with >100.000 positive feedbacks, and the lot number is A3510A. I don't like those A's.
    Lot numbers on Creeds always end in two digits to coincide with the year the fragrance was manufactured. Example: CY2C06. Every single bottle of Creed I have ever owned has followed this exact pattern. Are you sure you have a legitimate bottle of SMW?

Quote Originally Posted by jalexhrovat View Post
    I have a similar problem....but with me, its pretty much any Creed fragrance. I love Creed fragrances and own Erolfa, MI and GIT. The only one that lasts (faintly) more than 4 hours is GIT. Erolfa lasts about 3 and MI about 2.5 hours. These are all of course the MAX time...and the fragrances are usually just barely distinguishable on my skin.
    Its probably just my body chemistry, but I thought Creed was supposed to be "millesime," perfume strength juice. I would expect it to last longer than the more mainstream fragrances out there. But of course, there are not many fragrances that last more than 5 hours on me. Of the fragrances I own, the only ones that have the longevity to get me through most of the day are Acqua Di Gio, Very Irresistible, Obsession, Obsession Night and Curve (not my proudest...lol).
    But my best guess is that my skin chemistry plays a big part in it, and I don't know if there is anything really practical to do about that...so I pretty much need to reapply fragrances part way through the day if I want a fragrance to last all day :-(

Oh well....

I have all the problems with Creed and have your same skin chemistry. Try some of the frags listed in my signature for great longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Lot numbers on Creeds always end in two digits to coincide with the year the fragrance was manufactured. Example: CY2C06. Every single bottle of Creed I have ever owned has followed this exact pattern. Are you sure you have a legitimate bottle of SMW?
    Mike, it's a 2.5oz/75ml tester, do testers follow the same rules? On the tester box, there's a sticker with: Ref 5607535 / Lot: A3510A. And the lotnumber is also embossed on the bottle.

How many hours do you get out of your SMW?

I'm pretty sure it's a real one (for I have intentionally bought a fake 4.0oz before) as I can see the seal that is under the sprayer is made of white plastic, and not metal like many fake ones. Also, the top- and middlenotes are more than perfect and match the samples I had perfectly. The samples did have, in my mind, better longevity. But truthfully, I haven't timed it before when using the samples. I was too baffled with the great smell.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 11th June 2008 at 05:57 PM.

I added a poll btw, I wonder if we get extremes or a nice normal bell curve.

Mike, it's a 2.5oz/75ml tester, do testers follow the same rules? On the tester box, there's a sticker with: Ref 5607535 / Lot: A3510A. And the lotnumber is also embossed on the bottle.

How many hours do you get out of your SMW?

)
    All Creed testers follow the same rules for manufacture dates. Your serial # leads me to believe that it is a very old bottle made before the #'s were dated. Maybe that is why you have longevity issues. SMW should last more than 6 hours, preferably 8-10.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    All Creed testers follow the same rules for manufacture dates. Your serial # leads me to believe that it is a very old bottle made before the #'s were dated. Maybe that is why you have longevity issues. SMW should last more than 6 hours, preferably 8-10.
    That, Mike, might be very well the case actually. A friend of mine who ordered the same bottle at the same store with the same lot number made this pic:

At the top is his Royal Delight. At the bottom our Silver Mountain Water. As you can see, the embossing of the logo is slightly different. Since you probably have owned Creed for ages, do you recognise the bottom style?

It is, however, a genuine Creed bottle, which can be confirmed by the white plastic seal under the sprayer.

http://xs128.xs.to/xs128/08243/dsc01527410.jpg

At the top is his Royal Delight. At the bottom our Silver Mountain Water. As you can see, the embossing of the logo is slightly different. Since you probably have owned Creed for ages, do you recognise the bottom style?
    The font of your Creed logo suggests a bottle that was made more than 6 years ago.

You kid me not, Mike?

I really wonder where this bottle has been all these years, and in what temperatures. :shivers:. Or perhaps even, :sweats:.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 11th June 2008 at 08:37 PM.

I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours from SMW. The top notes only hang around for 2.5 hours after that its only the creed house basenotes that I smell and very close to the skin at that. I did take a break and didnt wear any scents for 2 days and it seemed to last a bit longer.

GIT, BDP and OV seem to have the best longevity on me.

MI has the worst 2 hours tops.

There are so many old bottles of Creed floating around. The US distributor flooded the market with Creed and Annick Goutal before she started Bond 09. I think that it could have turned. I would avoid E-bay and if you have to purchase at an online discounter, I would pick one of the one's that we've discussed numerous times. Use the search function and see for yourself first hand.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th June 2008 at 04:45 AM.

One thing to try is switching soaps. I've found that scents that previously lasted 4-6 hours on me have doubled (or more) their longevity after switching to Dove sensitive skin scentless bar soap (the Dove sensitive skin shower gel, however, interfered with the frags as much as my old soap.) It's worth experimenting a bit as, outside of extreme sweat, I'm sure that one's soap is the primary contributor to one's "body chemistry" (I mean, think about it, most people shower every day - our body chemistry/oils aren't typically all that present outside of sweat in the warm weather.)

At this point it's all been anecdotal, but I've witnessed first and second hand extreme changes in longevity when changing soaps.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I get a good whiff of SMW when I shower the next day, so I assume it has been working all the time, whether I am aware of it or not.

Oh well....
    Perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and try Joop Homme and Goutal's Sables - they're good for two or three days on most people, so you might get 7 or 8 hours out of them.
    Renato

I have a similar problem....but with me, its pretty much any Creed fragrance. I love Creed fragrances and own Erolfa, MI and GIT. The only one that lasts (faintly) more than 4 hours is GIT. Erolfa lasts about 3 and MI about 2.5 hours. ..
    maybe u need to apply it liberally.
    Last edited by jenson; 12th June 2008 at 10:14 AM.

From the poll results to date, it seems like it would require genetic engineering to get SMW to last from 4-5 hours on a person! HAHAHAHA

* inserts timed olfactory block

I often work with the buyer from the store Jeffrey and he wears SMW (it's the store's best selling fragrance) and he always leaves a pleasant sillage trail. I have never seen him reapply it, so I assume it must have all day staying power on him.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th June 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    maybe u need to apply it liberally.
    Always the best advice !

All you people with longevity issues (keep in mind most of the Creeds are citrus-aromatics or rich citruses) need to shift to Serge Lutens or Montale fragrances.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    (keep in mind most of the Creeds are citrus-aromatics or rich citruses).
    That is the best description of Creeds I have ever heard.