Code of Conduct

Exclamation New Book: What the Nose Knows - The Science of Scent in Everyday Life ~ by Avery Gilb

New Book: What the Nose Knows - The Science of Scent in Everyday Life ~ by Avery Gilbert

Anya McCoy takes the first look at Avery Gilbert's forthcoming What The Nose Knows - The Science of Scent in Everyday Life. In the book you'll find out what is the connection between Eric Cartman and President Chirac; What makes former Playboy Bunny Izabella St. James gag; The truth about clearing your nose with coffee beans and why Eugene Rimmel was the Fred Hayman of the 1800's.

More...

Default Re: New Book: What the Nose Knows - The Science of Scent in Everyday Life ~ by Avery

Thanks for the news!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: New Book: What the Nose Knows - The Science of Scent in Everyday Life ~ by Avery

So, did anyone order this yet - it was released this week?

I'm considering buying it and taking it with me on my summer vacation.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So, did anyone order this yet - it was released this week?

I'm considering buying it and taking it with me on my summer vacation.
    Just ordered here and will sit impatiently by the mailbox. When are you going on vakay? You must start a thread as SOON as you've finished! Sounds fab.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

I just got mine in the mail today - I'm not gonna read it til I go on vacation (next week!!).

I'm excited to read someone else's scientific yet fun commentary on smells, besides Burr & Turin.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Mine was in today's mail...dropped all the groceries on the floor (left them there) and am now chewing up page 9!!!

Will report!! (Good facile writing. HUGE number of "footnotes"!!)

Couple of hours later: Oh geeze - I'm gonna be up all night!! Fascinating! How the gas chromatograph works...how Givaudan trains perfumers...scented butterflies...(Turin gets a nod so far, but his knuckles rapped for "capsule reviews (that are) highly stylized" ... and that , at the end, "a reader doesn't what it (Apres l'Ondee) smells like) Woo hoo....
    Last edited by TaoLady; 8th July 2008 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Obvious
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting this-- I just checked and our library has a copy which is available and which I've reserved online and will soon be reading!

Bump -- soooooooo? Report back - you know I love this book re: my review here on BN. If I have a spare minute soon I'm going to dip back in - fun on every page!
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Basenotes Institution

I took it with me on my vacation (along with The Secret of Scent by Burr) and although I haven't finished the book yet, I found Mr. Gilbert's short, almost essayed style of writing very easy to read.

I have learned a TON of new information about smells...I can't wait to post some threads with some of this information. I bet there's a lot that we Basenoter's don't know about the 'science' behind some smells.

I'm almost through with Gilbert's book. It is a quick, pleasant read. It reads more like a series of magazine articles than a book, though - but this makes it a perfect summer book. You can put it down at any time and not worry about getting lost...

There are some interesting anecdotes and facts (opinions?) that will tickle most BN'ers fancy. (I never have liked the whole coffee bean thing in fragrance stores...) But a couple of the chapters are waaay too long, such as the one on scent and the movies.

Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    ...It is a quick, pleasant read. It reads more like a series of magazine articles than a book, though...
    I considered ordering this unseen from Amazon because the bookstores and libraries around here haven't stocked it, but I reconsidered. I was afraid that it would contain "fluff" or a series of loosely related facts, some of them interesting but more of them trite.

This summer I read Perfumes: The Guide by Luca Turin and The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr, both of which I enjoyed greatly. I also re-read The Emperor of Scent by Burr about Turin's vibrational theory of the sense of smell, and in preparation for my current selection, The Secret of Scent by Turin about his own theory. I also highly recommend those two books.

After that, I wonder how What the Nose Knows will compare. If anyone has read the Burr and Turin books and also the Gilbert book, what do you think?
    Last edited by purplebird7; 31st July 2008 at 05:26 PM.